Manchester United to install safe standing area for 1,500 fans

ZupZup

Hopefully the trial goes well and we'll have them installed in the Stretford End lower the following season. I don't see why it wouldn't to be fair.

Bosws87

Its my section and season ticket hopefully we get first refusal! :)

BarlowMoorRed

Looks like we’ll be installing 1,500 safe standing seats for next season as a trial. Hopefully it goes well. I wonder how much you can increase the capacity by with these ‘barrier seats’ if at all?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...afe-standing-area-for-1500-fans-barrier-seats
This is good news! Very unlikely to increase capacity in that area of ground at least.

My ST is there and the spaces between rows and seats are so tight that I couldn’t sit down for 90 minutes even if I wanted to!

Reactions: Rood

The-Natural

Perhaps I'm just in a good mood but things like this, though not specifically football related, make me feel like we are getting back on track as a club. This will be a big hit with the fans.

Maticmaker

When I was younger I enjoyed standing up to watch a match, but now I need to sit down, however people continual standing up spoil the view. So, I hope this experiment works and those who want to stand can stand and those who need to sit can sit and they are both kept separated. At least it shows someone at OT is listening.

sparx99

Looks like we’ll be installing 1,500 safe standing seats for next season as a trial. Hopefully it goes well. I wonder how much you can increase the capacity by with these ‘barrier seats’ if at all?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...afe-standing-area-for-1500-fans-barrier-seats
My understanding is standing sections sell the same amount of tickets as seated areas where rail seating is installed. This prevents overcrowding. However, having people on their feet chanting and bouncing can definitely help the atmosphere. Being seated just brings down the energy generally.

Now, if they can allow drinking in the view of the pitch that would be great.

Ludens the Red

My understanding is standing sections sell the same amount of tickets as seated areas where rail seating is installed. This prevents overcrowding. However, having people on their feet chanting and bouncing can definitely help the atmosphere. Being seated just brings down the energy generally.

Now, if they can allow drinking in the view of the pitch that would be great.
Another thing that seriously needs to be allowed. So fecking outdated. I’m amazed there’s not been more lobbying for this. We need to just copy everything the Germans do once and for all.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Outstanding news - many thought we would never see the day that standing came back officially :devil:

More info here https://www.imust.org.uk/Blog/Entry...trial-green-light-after-long-campaign-by-must

Where is the trial to take place?
Part of the North East Quadrant (NEQ) - aka J Stand

Why is the trial focussed on the North East Quadrant / J Stand?

1. To be accepted by the SAG the area selected by the Club has to have a prolonged history over a number of years of persistent standing where it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the SAG that it has not been possible to suppress through stewarding and other measures.

2. As it is a trial the area needs to be of manageable size - so the minimum number of seats affected while still achieving a meaningful trial

3. Sightlines - putting it in a corner section (rather than part of an end or side) so that spectators seated in adjacent sections do not risk having their sightlines blocked (necessitating them to stand e.g. when the ball is in the corner area) by fans who are standing in the barrier seat section.

4. In our opinion, to create the best chance of a successful trial it ideally needs to be populated with the same supporters every game to ensure all involved understand the trial and how to behave especially when dealing with requests from stewards.

When will it be expanded to other parts of the ground?
TBC by the club, although they have indicated that if the trial is a success they will look at expanding it to other areas of the ground in the future. Clearly the key to any future expansion is that this trial proves a success.

Who will be able to participate in the Barrier Seat Trial?
This is under discussion with the Club currently as to how this will work but clearly to maximise chances of a successful trial it needs to be populated by fans who support the objectives and understand the regulations around barrier seating.

We are engaging with the club on the specific details and logistics for the trial in order to be able to finalise these ASAP. MUST has recently provided the club with our suggestions for how it could best work and continue to liaise with them on implementation

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Had a call from the club today about this, seems they are dealing with it much better than when the J Stand singing section was set up (pissed off a lot people by forcing them to move with little notice) by asking ST holders opinions about it all

I told them Im bang up for it of course !

BarlowMoorRed

Had a call from the club today about this, seems they are dealing with it much better than when the J Stand singing section was set up (pissed off a lot people by forcing them to move with little notice) by asking ST holders opinions about it all

I told them Im bang up for it of course !
Very good!! I’m in N2401 and concerned they were going to try and move me! Did they give you option to remain or move?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Very good!! I’m in N2401 and concerned they were going to try and move me! Did they give you option to remain or move?
Yes exactly - calling everyone in N2401 and N2402 to ask if they want to stay or move.

Some do want to move - I guess these are probably some of the original J Standers who have been there for years and complained about the singing section. I can understand that some get attached to a certain area or sat with mates etc

The way I see it is that the whole thing is for the greater good of improving the atmosphere so anyone who doesn't want to stand should suck it up and move elsewhere

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Does anybody know if got them done? City are planning to instal 5,620.

Manchester City are to install 5,620 rail seats at the Etihad Stadium this summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/24/manchester-city-to-install-5620-rail-seats-in-preparation-for-safe-standing#:~:text=Manchester City have announced they,South Stand, the club said.
I think it has been done already or it will be in the summer for sure - as if behind closed doors football wasnt crap enough, COVID has also delayed the return of standing for a year

An extra thing to look forward to at least

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I think it has been done already or it will be in the summer for sure - as if behind closed doors football wasnt crap enough, COVID has also delayed the return of standing for a year

Can't wait for stadiums full of fans again, imagine how loud the first matches will be.

TheReligion

Abusive

That's good to know. Was wondering myself. Any pics or plans of how it will all look?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's good to know. Was wondering myself. Any pics or plans of how it will all look?
I've not seen any pics of it so that might mean the work isn't finished yet but I have been assured that it will be in place for next season

And this is a trial which will be expanded if successful

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I made the switch yesterday to move into the safe standing area in the J Stand (N2402) and I can’t wait to get back to OT even more now.

I don’t know how the club will judge whether or not the safe standing area has been a success after this trial period, but I hope it’s here to stay anyway.

Gone are the days that moany old bint behind me in w201 has a go at me for even getting slightly off my seat!

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I made the switch yesterday to move into the safe standing area in the J Stand (N2402) and I can’t wait to get back to OT even more now.

I don’t know how the club will judge whether or not the safe standing area has been a success after this trial period, but I hope it’s here to stay anyway.

Gone are the days that moany old bint behind me in w201 has a go at me for even getting slightly off my seat!
So for next season, N2402 will be safe standing? Excellent news that one.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Awesome stuff. It's a shame to think so many fans under a certain age have never experienced a goal and the surge of fans that follows.

Even at really small grounds (I get to the odd AFC Wimbledon game over the past few years) standing makes a huge difference.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Awesome stuff. It's a shame to think so many fans under a certain age have never experienced a goal and the surge of fans that follows.

Even at really small grounds (I get to the odd AFC Wimbledon game over the past few years) standing makes a huge difference.
Won't safe standing eliminate that surge?

Cee90

What would our capacity be if we could put safe standing in the whole of the areas behind the goals?

80k, 85k... more?
Well, I actually think it may reduce our capacity.

The safe standing area still has seats as well as the rails for the standing space, so it may end up taking up more space than a traditional seated area of the stadium, but who knows.

youmeletsfly

What would our capacity be if we could put safe standing in the whole of the areas behind the goals?

80k, 85k... more?
Don't think safe standing will have any connection to increasing the capacity. To increase the capacity of a stadium there are a lot of factors to be taken in consideration, like exits during emergency situations and so on.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Well, I actually think it may reduce our capacity.

The safe standing area still has seats as well as the rails for the standing space, so it may end up taking up more space than a traditional seated area of the stadium, but who knows.
I assumed we were going to do something like dortmund (removable seats ) where they have 81,000 using the safe standing areas which reduces to 66,000 all seated

Given we are at 76K to start with I had thought (if safe standing is expanded to more areas like at dortmund) we could see a capacity somewhere above 80 with perhaps just over 90k being achievable (using the same factors as Dortmund)

Cee90

I assumed we were going to do something like dortmund (removable seats ) where they have 81,000 using the safe standing areas which reduces to 66,000 all seated

Given we are at 76K to start with I had thought (if safe standing is expanded to more areas like at dortmund) we could see a capacity somewhere above 80 with perhaps just over 90k being achievable (using the same factors as Dortmund)
I’m 99% sure our seats will not be removable like Dortmund’s. When I asked the ticket office whether or not I could stand anywhere in the standing area, they basically said no and I still have a dedicated seat where I need to stand. This is mainly for security and accountability if something goes wrong e.g if someone throws something on the pitch. So basically, it’s not like we’re reverting back to the old school terraces.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I’m 99% sure our seats will not be removable like Dortmund’s. When I asked the ticket office whether or not I could stand anywhere in the standing area, they basically said no and I still have a dedicated seat where I need to stand. This is mainly for security and accountability if something goes wrong e.g if someone throws something on the pitch. So basically, it’s not like we’re reverting back to the old school terraces.
shame - thought I guess its still only a test so depending how that goes we could ultimatley end up with somethig like the dortmund system

pascell

I thought we're down to around 72k after the recent works for seating areas for our fans with disabilities?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Capacity will be more or less unchanged

And I understand we are getting the similar kind of rail seats as you would find in Germany where the seat can be locked away but initially they will not be locked up for us

Search YouTube for 'safe standing rail seats' and you will see the system

choccy77