Manchester United to install safe standing area for 1,500 fans

Brightonian

MC89

Supports
Celtic
This is good news! Very unlikely to increase capacity in that area of ground at least.

My ST is there and the spaces between rows and seats are so tight that I couldn’t sit down for 90 minutes even if I wanted to!
It won’t increase capacity,

We’ve got it at Celtic Park, it honestly doesn’t make the atmosphere any better, maybe the bigger games but they were good anyway, it’s just one section that makes a noise but it was the same when the Park was all seated, I’m a season ticket holder and I don’t get the myth about the Celtic Park atmosphere, it’s generally rubbish, ( European games aside) even then it’s really just one section, that just my honest opinion,

why do folk seem to think you need to stand to sing or create an atmosphere?,

in my opinion( don’t know what like for Man Utd/ other fans) but the club should be concentrating more on getting folk to sit rather than stand at games ( away fans) because I know loads of very good Celtic fans who have been going for years who can’t attend away games for that reason,

why should folk be basically locked out off attending away match ( because of their height, age, physical condition) just because our fans want to stand?, meant to be seated as per ground safety regulations., if a kid goes to an away match, an adult standing of front, kid stands on seat, then the person behthe kid can’t see the game, wouldn’t blame the kid, to me it just will stop the younger generation because why would you go back if you can’t see?, ( talking about my experiences at away matches involving Celtic, I’m sure it’s same for almost every club),

I attend every game to tell you the truth I don’t really enjoy it,

I’m 33 and can stand for 90 mins but it’s really not fair for those who want to attend but can’t for that reason, fair enough if your supposed to stand but your not, and it’s disrespectful to fellow supporters.

Last edited:

Wheato

I was expecting the safe standing area to be fairly lively and bouncing with songs, but it wasn't. Seemed to be more songs coming from the upper tier of the SAF stand. Wasn't this area created for a purpose?

pascell

I was expecting the safe standing area to be fairly lively and bouncing with songs, but it wasn't. Seemed to be more songs coming from the upper tier of the SAF stand. Wasn't this area created for a purpose?
Yeah I was disappointed with it too. I'm sure after that first CL home game it'll be rocking.

Whatsername

Yeah, we’re right next to it (as in our seats are next to the barrier in the East stand) and there looked to be a few families with little kids in that immediate area from what we could see which surprised me.

Wheato

Yeah, we’re right next to it (as in our seats are next to the barrier in the East stand) and there looked to be a few families with little kids in that immediate area from what we could see which surprised me.
Yeah, I could see lots of children and old people in there. I was really expecting something else from a safe standing area. Not sure how they gathered interest or marketed the area. The fans forum would have been the place, but from what I could gather on Saturday, it was a real mixed bag in there. I was kind of hoping it would be like a Greek wedding, more than a funeral.

Pavl3n

They might want to see how it fares with the less passionate demographic and decide if any improvements or extra safety measures should be deployed. Eventually introducing a livelier crowd when they're sure the stand could take excessive force of passion.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I thought it was pretty good myself?

I was in it and the the people next to me at least were contributing towards a good atmosphere.

I was sat in the lower Stretford End for our last match against City in March 2020, and genuinely thought the atmosphere was better against Leeds in the J Stand than that.

Whatsername

They might want to see how it fares with the less passionate demographic and decide if any improvements or extra safety measures should be deployed. Eventually introducing a livelier crowd when they're sure the stand could take excessive force of passion.
I see your point but I’m guessing that many in there would be season ticket holders so how do they identify the ones not contributing to the atmosphere and get them to move elsewhere in the ground?

Revaulx

Even the lower tier of the SAF was singing.

We are normally surrounded by miserable old gits* and uninterested tourists, but it was really rocking on Saturday.

*some of whom might be the people I go with…

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not my experience at all - where are you sat?

As said often, acoustics are not good in J stand so sound doesn't travel well - perhaps there are pockets of louder fans too

good amount of noise and nonstop singing pretty much for the whole match in my part of J Stand, the concourse was also lively pre-match

But TBH I would expect this anyway since it was first game back AND Leeds - let's see how it is for Newcastle

Wheato

Not my experience at all - where are you sat?

As said often, acoustics are not good in J stand so sound doesn't travel well - perhaps there are pockets of louder fans too

good amount of noise and nonstop singing pretty much for the whole match in my part of J Stand, the concourse was also lively pre-match

But TBH I would expect this anyway since it was first game back AND Leeds - let's see how it is for Newcastle
I was sat just above to the right of the safe standing area in N3402, so it was in my periphery for the whole game.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I was sat just above to the right of the safe standing area in N3402, so it was in my periphery for the whole game.
I assume you can only see the lower part of the stand from up there due to the tier structure? The rail seat area doesn't go down as far as the pitch

For example I'm right at the back so I doubt you can see that part from up there

All the reports I've seen from anyone who was in there on Saturday were positive so surprised to hear anything different on here - I can only assume it's an acoustics issue or maybe it's quieter lower down

Alex Telles was in the box behind us and seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere!

Bosws87

Was good in there, lively compared to what it had become when i was last back at the ground!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We have loads of singing areas now bizarrely.

TRA have the old family stand in the Stretty and that was absolutely bouncing on Saturday. Then tier two is still vocal and got plenty going also.

Add in this new J stand and K stand being bang up for it for big games and there's only so many thousand of us to go around! Brilliant problem to have considering ten years ago was a bit of a chore outside the big games.

One of the best atmospheres I've been in on Saturday, even the concourse was rammed and loud an hour Pre KO.

Wheato

Got off the tram at Wharfside on Saturday, half an hour before kickoff. As soon as we stepped onto the platform we could hear them singing in the stadium. It was loud as fook.

It was bouncing in there. Lets keep this up all season reds. Make OT a fortress.

MC89

Supports
Celtic

We’ve got it at Celtic Park, it honestly doesn’t make the atmosphere any better, maybe the bigger games but they were good anyway, it’s just one section that makes a noise but it was the same when the Park was all seated, I’m a season ticket holder and I don’t get the myth about the Celtic Park atmosphere, it’s generally rubbish, ( European games aside) even then it’s really just one section, that just my honest opinion,

in my opinion( don’t know what like for Man Utd/ other fans) but the club should be concentrating more on getting folk to sit rather than stand at games ( away fans) because I know loads of very good Celtic fans who have been going for years who can’t attend away games for that reason,

why should folk be basically locked out off attending away match ( because of their height, age, physical condition) just because our fans want to stand?, meant to be seated as per ground safety regulations., if a kid goes to an away match, an adult standing of front, kid stands on seat, then the person behthe kid can’t see the game, wouldn’t blame the kid, to me it just will stop the younger generation because why would you go back if you can’t see?, ( talking about my experiences at away matches involving Celtic, I’m sure it’s same for almost every club),

I’m 33 and can stand for 90 mins but it’s really not fair for those who want to attend but can’t for that reason, fair enough if your supposed to stand but your not, and it’s disrespectful to fellow supporters.
Still stand by this, trust me if you think safe standing will create a better atmosphere your going to be really disappointed.

Andy_Cole

To be honest away game culture is pretty grim. Not just standing but beer getting thrown about, people pissing in the stands, smoking, pushing, etc.

Doesn’t stop me going as I do enjoy the atmosphere but I wouldn’t take my son until he’s like 15.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
To be honest away game culture is pretty grim. Not just standing but beer getting thrown about, people pissing in the stands, smoking, pushing, etc.

Doesn’t stop me going as I do enjoy the atmosphere but I wouldn’t take my son until he’s like 15.
I’ve actually stopped going at all to away games, in my opinion it’s just an accident waiting to happen, all them wanting to stand on the stairs and blocking folk from going up and down safely, and breaking every ground regulation - it is forbidden to stand in seated areas,

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Stretford end tier 2….can anyone remember when they last sat down during the game ;)

TenOuttaTenHag

I’ve actually stopped going at all to away games, in my opinion it’s just an accident waiting to happen, all them wanting to stand on the stairs and blocking folk from going up and down safely, and breaking every ground regulation - it is forbidden to stand in seated areas,
You’re best off staying put in the gaff pal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Still stand by this, trust me if you think safe standing will create a better atmosphere your going to be really disappointed.
Surely it’s also about giving people the choice? If they want to stand, stand. If not get a seated ticket.

If like minded people are seated together, standing or otherwise, it can only help the atmosphere in my opinion.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Surely it’s also about giving people the choice? If they want to stand, stand. If not get a seated ticket.

If like minded people are seated together, standing or otherwise, it can only help the atmosphere in my opinion.
Exactly

And generally those who want to stand are more likely to sing, so getting all those people in the same area does help the atmosphere

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly

And generally those who want to stand are more likely to sing, so getting all those people in the same area does help the atmosphere
The reason atmospheres decline at home games is due to the splitting of social/friend groups as opposed to the away collective that are regulars and sit together.

It’s not so much the standing itself that raises the atmosphere it’s having the same groups together at Old Trafford. Not spread out in pockets all over.

JB7

I haven’t sat down at a United match for about 10 years & I’ve not been near the safe standing area yet. If people want to sit at away games they tend to go down the front and if people want to sit at home games there are probably 60k seats where the stewards get everyone to sit down. So yeah if you want clubs to concentrate on getting more people to sit then you are seriously out of touch.

Whatsername

We’re right next to the safe standing area, as in there’s just a divider between that and my seat. It seemed quite lively at the start of the season but as time went on the part of it by us started filling up with ‘supporters’ watching the match through their phone screens who do nothing to add to any atmosphere.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
We’re right next to the safe standing area, as in there’s just a divider between that and my seat. It seemed quite lively at the start of the season but as time went on the part of it by us started filling up with ‘supporters’ watching the match through their phone screens who do nothing to add to any atmosphere.
Yeh it's a funny old section at OT that safe standing bit in J stand now.

You have TRA in Stretford lower, Stretford tier 2 has the long standing vocal support, then K stand next to the away fans also has it's moments in big games.

Doesn't leave much left for the safe standing bit which ends up being a bit meh/confused mixture.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeh it's a funny old section at OT that safe standing bit in J stand now.

You have TRA in Stretford lower, Stretford tier 2 has the long standing vocal support, then K stand next to the away fans also has it's moments in big games.

Doesn't leave much left for the safe standing bit which ends up being a bit meh/confused mixture.
TRA leaving J Stand to set up their own bit did have a negative impact on the atmosphere in what is now the Safe Standing section, still its better than it used to be and there are pockets that are better than others

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
TRA leaving J Stand to set up their own bit did have a negative impact on the atmosphere in what is now the Safe Standing section, still its better than it used to be and there are pockets that are better than others
Take it you are residing there these days rather than your K stand seat then?

JB7

Extra 1000 seats in TRA section this season (up from 2800 to 3800) so hopefully that might help further if there is a bigger consistent noise coming from one area - particularly if that can help the Stretty T2 atmosphere be more consistent again. Obviously it would also help if performances on the pitch are improved because the two are always going to be related.

Obviously the negative is that it could drag more of those making a noise away from other sections of OT but hopefully that isn't the effect it ends up with.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
I haven’t sat down at a United match for about 10 years & I’ve not been near the safe standing area yet. If people want to sit at away games they tend to go down the front and if people want to sit at home games there are probably 60k seats where the stewards get everyone to sit down. So yeah if you want clubs to concentrate on getting more people to sit then you are seriously out of touch.
I don’t make the rules, it’s in the SFA ground regulations - it is forbidden to stand in seated areas.,
It’s also not fair to folk who can’t stand through age, disability or any other reason and too say sit down the front is wrong, why should anybody who can’t stand get a rubbish view for doing what’s meant to happen ( sitting in a seated area and what the person has paid for, a seat), compared to someone who’s doing wrong, ( standing, and or on the stairs or blocking),get better view.
I’m not going away up to Dingwall or Aberdeen 3 hours on a bus, paying £30 odd for my ticket and not being able to see the game by some rat standing in front of me then being worried about getting down stairs, be better watching on the telly,

it’s a 100% fact doesn’t change atmosphere at Celtic Park maybe Old Trafford maybe different.

JB7

I don’t make the rules, it’s in the SFA ground regulations - it is forbidden to stand in seated areas.,
It’s also not fair to folk who can’t stand through age, disability or any other reason and too say sit down the front is wrong, why should anybody who can’t stand get a rubbish view for doing what’s meant to happen ( sitting in a seated area and what the person has paid for, a seat), compared to someone who’s doing wrong, ( standing, and or on the stairs or blocking),get better view.
I’m not going away up to Dingwall or Aberdeen 3 hours on a bus, paying £30 odd for my ticket and not being able to see the game by some rat standing in front of me then being worried about getting down stairs, be better watching on the telly,

it’s a 100% fact doesn’t change atmosphere at Celtic Park maybe Old Trafford maybe different.
Old Trafford is in different sections though and it's not exactly a secret where stands/sits. Everyone knows if you get a ticket in Stretty Tier 2 or both Stretty and East Lower that you'll be stood up. If you apply for tickets in TRA section you know you'll be stood up. If you want to sit then buy a ticket in literally any other area of the stadium, there's probably 65k seats to choose from.