Manchester United upgrade contact with Pep Guardiola, sources say

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm not too sure. I just know Giggs has been touted as our manager in public since the clubs awards towards end of last year. So Giggs himself and the board must have something planned.
If it is something different, then we have wasted 3 years of LvG and his alienation of the fans.

red thru&thru

Buddy, you are the one trying to make this more difficult than it is. You keep on using Pep and Enrique as the basis for your argument but you refuse to point to the FACT that BOTH Pep and Enrique had been groomed for the job. They BOTH managed the Barca B side for a combined 4 years. The later also had another 4 years of managerial experience, facts that you have failed to apply. If we want to follow that model, Giggs need to go prove himself with the U18s or U21 for 2 seasons. At least Solksjaer gave it a go and he was successful as the U21 manager. He earned the right to be a proper manager and he went back to Molde and guided them to their first league title in 50 years. Why should Giggs be any different

There is no need to take it personal, this is a forum. It's not like the United board are going to take notice of what goes on here. And if I knew Giggs, I would get an autograph and tell him to go get some experience before taking the job.

Just because he played for us doesn't mean he loves the clubs more than we the fans do. They get paid to love the club, we pay because we love the club.
Hahaha, i'm not taking it personal. What I don't understand is why Giggs being the next manager is so out of the question? It has been proven in the past that you can come into management with little experience and become a successful manager. It's just a but absurd to think that fans think this should not happen. As I said in another post, this has been on the cards for a long time that Giggs would take over. When LVG mentioned it in that drunken speech of his last season, the fans were going crazily happy with the notion that Giggs was going to take over.

So why is this all of a sudden a surprise or unthinkable?

red thru&thru

If it is something different, then we have wasted 3 years of LvG and his alienation of the fans.
True. But the biggest thing i think is missing is the passion in the players. Even this current philosophy can work, as we saw last year when we went in that run beating tottenham, city, liverpool.

dichinero

Hahaha, i'm not taking it personal. What I don't understand is why Giggs being the next manager is so out of the question? It has been proven in the past that you can come into management with little experience and become a successful manager. It's just a but absurd to think that fans think this should not happen. As I said in another post, this has been on the cards for a long time that Giggs would take over. When LVG mentioned it in that drunken speech of his last season, the fans were going crazily happy with the notion that Giggs was going to take over.

So why is this all of a sudden a surprise or unthinkable?
How many top teams in the world have hired a player with little managerial experience and become successful? And please don't mention Pep. Go...

NO one is saying that Giggs should never be manager of United but he needs to be a worthy candidate. What makes him more worthy than Nev or Solksjaer or Butt or even Quinton Fortune for crying out loud, please tell me?

red thru&thru

Agreed. On a similar note, I want Messi. But if not him then flip a coin between Neymar and a 16 year old from the academy that people who deal with him day to day think could be fairly good.
Lol. You seem a young lad, not worth replying too!

sugar_kane

When LVG mentioned it in that drunken speech of his last season, the fans were going crazily happy with the notion that Giggs was going to take over.
Umm.... really?? I could have sworn people were griping about it and have every time it's ever been mentioned (with the possible exception of when he took over from Moyes briefly)

red thru&thru

How many top teams in the world have hired a player with little managerial experience and become successful? And please don't mention Pep. Go...

NO one is saying that Giggs should never be manager of United but he needs to be a worthy candidate. What makes him more worthy than Nev or Solksjaer or Butt or even Quinton Fortune for crying out loud, please tell me?
Kenny Dalglish.

Graeme Souness

Rudd Gullit

Vialli

Glen Hoddle

Cryuff

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep and Dalglish had Paisley.
Even if we consider that Dalglish was a successful manager, the list of absolute dross is far longer. The real problem with this debate is that the people defending that appointment, are using everything but simple logic, they don't even want to acknowledge that like the rest of us they know nothing about Giggs and therefore can't justify that choice. But once again that doesn't mean that Giggs will be a disaster, just that no one knows what he is able to do and that's not a good thing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All of them won trophies.

Suppose you just have to define what success is?

Not many can compete with Jose or Pep. Ancelotti maybe.
For United winning the Fa cup and the League cup one time isn't success. For Wigan that's success.

Also if we appoint Giggs just to sack him after 3 or 4 years than there is no point taking the risk in the first place.

red thru&thru

If that is the case. Why didn't SAF just not bother retiring. This is Sir Matt Busby all over again. Will we never learn.
I was just replying to another poster who said Dalglish had Paisely when he took over.

Ideal...Pep takes over. Giggs goes somewhere like Swansea. And when Pep is done in 3 years, Giggs has been a success at "Swansea", takes over United and is successful for a further 25 years!

If not, just don't be surprised that Giggs takes over and learns on the job.

red thru&thru

For United winning the Fa cup and the League cup one time isn't success. For Wigan that's success.

Also if we appoint Giggs just to sack him after 3 or 4 years than there is no point taking the risk in the first place.
Those trophies were won at bigger clubs than Wigan.

I really don't know who you guys think will be a guarantee if we don't get Pep?!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I was just replying to another poster who said Dalglish had Paisely when he took over.

Ideal...Pep takes over. Giggs goes somewhere like Swansea. And when Pep is done in 3 years, Giggs has been a success at "Swansea", takes over United and is successful for a further 25 years!

If not, just don't be surprised that Giggs takes over and learns on the job.
You cannot learn on the job at United mate. We might be having a shit time at the moment but it is still Manchester United - like I've mentioned above the club has massive obligations to all sorts - we can't afford to indulge Mr Giggs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
i don't see why we should settle for someone that learns on the job while our rivals are steaming ahead. It's not compulsory Giggs must manage Man Utd.

red thru&thru

You cannot learn on the job at United mate. We might be having a shit time at the moment but it is still Manchester United - like I've mentioned above the club has massive obligations to all sorts - we can't afford to indulge Mr Giggs.
Agreed.

I'm just not putting all my eggs in one basket in Pep.

Clearly Jose isn't an option, as I genuinely think he'd be the manager right now if he was in contention.

Maybe this discussion would be better in a new thread, but I think Giggs will be next manager if no Pep. I'm a bit of a romantic. A man with a lot of passion. Something that has been missing at our club since 2013. Maybe have a living legend take of the club is what we need...or not! Let's see...

Brightonian

Sorry buddy, but the results cannot be ignored.
MCFC have been finishing ahead of us for 2 years and this will be the 3rd year. Right now, our squad is weaker than MCFC's. No doubt about that.
If you're talking about for the duration of this season, then yes. They still have Touré, Silva, Aguero, Kompany et al. If you're talking about over the next three or four seasons (the post I responded to was about which squad needed more investment) then no, ours is in much better shape. Those are their best players and they're all looking at the end of their physical prime rushing towards them. Touré already looks to be over the edge, Kompany and Aguero are struggling to stay fit in a team that needs them to play every match. Add to them the likes of Demichelis, Clichy, Zabaleta, Kolarov, Sagna, Navas... all over 30.

You're naive if you think it's as simple as 'oh, we're playing badly at the moment, City clearly have better players.' We're obviously playing a long way under the capacity of our players if they were better managed and in better form, whereas City are undeniable staring down a situation where pretty much the entire first XI who have won their trophies for them over the last few years is about to hit the end of the line.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Agreed.

Clearly Jose isn't an option, as I genuinely think he'd be the manager right now if he was in contention.

Maybe this discussion would be better in a new thread, but I think Giggs will be next manager if no Pep. I'm a bit of a romantic. A man with a lot of passion. Something that has been missing at our club since 2013. Maybe have a living legend take of the club is what we need...or not! Let's see...
Are you the man with 'a lot of passion' or are you describing Giggs?:D
Seriously though, now's not the time for romanticism - the club can't afford this now. Let's get ourselves together, and implement a good strong solid base going forward after SAF. Now's not the time for risks - trust me on that mate. We act like arrogant idiots and we'll get burned.

Edit - Forgot to say that there will be someone else out there if not Pep, Jose or whomever. - doesn't have to mean we're only stuck with Giggs if one of the big guns aren't available.
What we shouldn't do is make any 'suicidal appointments'.

dichinero

Agreed.

Dude, I am happy you have stated this yourself as I didn't to do it for you. Like your self, I am also a romantic. I wish I could wake up with the Co92 as our management team, SAF as the DoF, Rio, Evra, Vida and VdsS as youth team coahes. United playing some swash buckling football with 7/11 players from the youth team, while still chasing titles. But there is reality my friend!

If we really want to be romantic about it, why don't we try to do what we did with Fergie. Hire a proven winner.

St. Mirren
Aberdeen
If Fergie never managed United, he would still be regarded as a great winner given his previous prior to joining United. Does that mean that Fergie did not struggle when he joined United? Of course he did. United is a bigger machine to operate. IMO, what really saved Fergie from being earlier in his struggle at United was because he had something to fall back on, his experience. The board could hold out for a bit longer because they know he has it in him to win. Fergie had something to draw inspiration from when things were not going so well, a massive well if experience. This is what Moyes lacked that LvG has, something to fall back on. What does Giggs have when things go south? Managing United is also managing the expectations of over 600 million expectations, why risk that in the hands of a rookie?

i don't see why we should settle for someone that learns on the job while our rivals are steaming ahead. It's not compulsory Giggs must manage Man Utd.
My point exactly, what is so United about this? Did we ever hire old players? If anything we are try to copy others.

dichinero

Think I'm the only one that has seen this :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ouis-van-Gaal-signing-Bayern-Munich-deal.html

Wrong place to post maybe but can't be bothered starting a new thread, and it is the daily mail....
If there is any truth in this, it is bad news for us. It confirms the lack of faith I have in the board.

How long are we going to continue losing out on targets because other rivals made them feel more wanted? It's like we aren't bothered to try. Do we think we can still bully people about? Sad times if true!

C'est Moi Cantona

If there is any truth in this, it is bad news for us. It confirms the lack of faith I have in the board.

How long are we going to continue losing out on targets because other rivals made them feel more wanted? It's like we aren't bothered to try. Do we think we can still bully people about? Sad times if true!
I dunno if it's true or not, they seem pretty sure of themselves though.

The key part for me is the timing of it, in November yes were playing crap but we were still picking up wins, since then we have gone out of the CL and lost three prem games, so if they were losing faith in him then what are they thinking now?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Very true. There seems to sometimes be a sort of attitude where people view Giggs as our manager as something that has to happen, as opposed to something that could. When he was being linked with the Swansea job, you'd see people saying, "Well, if he fails, he won't get the job here at all.", which is a completely logical approach to take when it comes to hiring managers. Yet for some reason, it still puts people off because the notion of Giggs as manager is something we have to do, like going into a door that says, "Do not enter" for the sake of it.

I'd love it if Giggs could be our manager here, and it'd be even better if he succeeded, but then I'd feel the same about Scholes. Or Neville. Or Cantona. Or Robson. Or Schmeichel. Or any of our other legends. A great thought, yeah, but it might not happen, and that's okay.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
All of them won trophies.

Suppose you just have to define what success is?

Not many can compete with Jose or Pep. Ancelotti maybe.
It's a bit ludicrous to argue that Souness was perceived as a success at Liverpool in any way whatsoever. It's like arguing that Dalglish's second tenure at Liverpool was successful because he won the League Cup.

Vialli did a decent job with Chelsea, but his success was relatively limited. Never managed to take them to a title, which would've been the ultimate aim.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Very true. There seems to sometimes be a sort of attitude where people view Giggs as our manager as something that has to happen, as opposed to something that could. When he was being linked with the Swansea job, you'd see people saying, "Well, if he fails, he won't get the job here at all.", which is a completely logical approach to take when it comes to hiring managers. Yet for some reason, it still puts people off because the notion of Giggs as manager is something we have to do, like going into a door that says, "Do not enter" for the sake of it.

I'd love it if Giggs could be our manager here, and it'd be even better if he succeeded, but then I'd feel the same about Scholes. Or Neville. Or Cantona. Or Robson. Or Schmeichel. Or any of our other legends. A great thought, yeah, but it might not happen, and that's okay.
Steve Round was on TV the other day saying Giggs has to be given the job to show he has the chance to succeed or fail. The question I asked was, does he have to be given the job in the first place?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Steve Round was on TV the other day saying Giggs has to be given the job to show he has the chance to succeed or fail. The question I asked was, does he have to be given the job in the first place?
Yeah, it's really, really bizarre. As I say, it's like people think he has to be given the job at some point, as opposed to it being something that could happen.

dichinero

I don't get this. Why though?

spwd

I don't get this. Why though?
There is no reason other than "because", that's all there is to it, no rhyme or reason, the same as people saying Moyes should have had more time absolutely no logic to it whatsoever.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Thanks but I don't need your condolences Endless, it's only football after all! I just don't think you're in a position to be able to assess how bright Giggs is. Suitability for the role based on experience or lack of, fair enough but how could you possibly know that he's not a "bright spark"? What are you basing that on? I presume very little but.....

My guess would be that if he wasn't very bright, he wouldn't have passed his coaching badges and wouldn't be so highly thought of by the upper echelons at the club but I don't know enough about him to argue either way. Would be interested to know whether anyone on the forum has spent any time with Giggs or has any first hand experience of his intellect or lack of that they could share.
He's thought of highly by the upper echelons at the club simply because of his stature as an excellent player with managerial qualities, and probably with envious eyes cast to Guardiola's rise at Barcelona. With regards to his intellect enabling him to pass his coaching badges, I suppose you are right and that does at least rank him alongside minds of Stuart Pearce or Ian Dowie ilk.

Indeed, maybe you're right about everything and when I look at Giggs' iceberg I can only see his tip - it may well be impossible to ever make any kind of judgement on someone without first doing some serious and in depth research, in my opinion preferably spanning several different teams and years; for example without knowing job roles or being at their respective weddings how could you ever know David Cameron was smarter than David Beckham simply through their interviews?