Manchester United v Aston Villa

Cina

...You can't just drop young as soon as Nani becomes fit. Terrible man management and no faith being shown whatsoever if he did.
feck that. We're in a title race here, play our second best player when he's fit. If that was Rooney Sir Alex would have him back in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

It's harsh on Young but Sir Alex has done it many times before.

Ash_G

I hope Nani gets back in the team soon as after Rooney he's out best attacker imo. But it makes sense to ease him in, he can be a major addition in these last few games so no need to take any chances, get him on for a half hour if we can, ideally for Valencia who can get a rest.

LARulz

I'm hoping this game we just batter them all over the park and get the goals along with it. I'm fed up of (ignoring the Wigan game) dominating but still shitting it that any stupidity at the back will drop us points

Brophs

The One and Only
feck that. We're in a title race here, play our second best player when he's fit. If that was Rooney Sir Alex would have him back in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Perhaps that tells its own story?

I don't think you can take chances with a half-fit player at this stage of the season. If he gets half an hour today and another week of training he should be ready for Everton, if needed.

Ludens the Red

...You can't just drop young as soon as Nani becomes fit. Terrible man management and no faith being shown whatsoever if he did.
How is that terrible man management? It's a simple case of starting player a) because he is far superior to player b) And it's not as if Young is in form and deserving of a starting place. But it's quite clear from some peoples comments that Youngs form is in actual fact acceptable.

Scrumpet

There are no words
How is that terrible man management? It's a simple case of starting player a) because he is far superior to player b) And it's not as if Young is in form and deserving of a starting place. But it's quite clear from some peoples comments that Youngs form is in actual fact acceptable.
Yes, it is.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd have put Cleverley in. Even if it meant taking Scholes or Carrick out. Our movement through the middle's been shocking for months.

What I reckon we'll have now is Villa sitting, and us passing the ball backwards and forwards in straight lines (again), with no one getting ahead of the ball or behind Villa's midfield line. It's both dull and leads to nerves since the opposition never get stretched.

Agree with this, but there's no telling how match fit Nani is. You can't count the Wigan game. All of our subs looked bright in that just by running around and generally having a clue.

Also, this didn't seem to stop Fergie taking Rafael out on Wednesday, just so he could give Phil Jones a game...in a position he can't play in.

Cina

Perhaps that tells its own story?

I don't think you can take chances with a half-fit player at this stage of the season. If he gets half an hour today and another week of training he should be ready for Everton, if needed.
What story? He's our best player, obviously he'll walk back in. Nani is our second best player though, and we should be aiming to get him fully fit coming up to the City game, he loves stepping up in the bigger games after all. Despite people saying he hasn't had a great season, he's still had some excellent games against the big guns.

We're playing at home to a really poor Villa side, he should at least be getting 60 minutes, sub him off then for Young, not the other way around. Like I said, we have one game a week from now on, it's not like the usual where we have midweek games that we can put him in when resting others.

Brophs

The One and Only
What story? He's our best player, obviously he'll walk back in. Nani is our second best player though, and we should be aiming to get him fully fit coming up to the City game, he loves stepping up in the bigger games after all. Despite people saying he hasn't had a great season, he's still had some excellent games against the big guns.

We're playing at home to a really poor Villa side, he should at least be getting 60 minutes, sub him off then for Young, not the other way around.
Well I'm thinking that perhaps SAF doesn't rate him quite as highly as you do, or more likely, he knows we're far better covered when he's missing than when Rooney is out. Or, most obviously, he isn't physically ready for 60 or 70 minutes just yet.

I'm not really bothered whether Nani plays once we get the results (as is the case with every player). Depending on how fit he is it might be that Young is a better bet early on and let Nani run at more tired legs.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not really bothered whether Nani plays once we get the results (as is the case with every player). Depending on how fit he is it might be that Young is a better bet early on and let Nani run at more tired legs.
This is what I think it is.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Hello everyone, are we all ready to see the fecker shits in action then?

Chrisjn

Yes, but you can't drop him for today's game when Nani isn't 100% fit.

The wise thing to do is what he appears to be doing...

Start young, bring Nani on with half an hour to go, hope he plays well enough to justfy to Young he should start the next game. Which is the most probable thing that will happen, and IMO the best way to do it.

I wouldn't have started Nani today.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
This is what I think it is.
Me too, a 20min cameo where he can build a bit of confidence is surely better than a potentially frustrating first hour, when his lack of match sharpness is more likely to show.

We should win this game regardless of whether Nani plays any part or not. If we haven't got enough to beat a piss poor Villa team at OT, without rushing back a half fit Nani, then we can't be half as good as we think we are.

LARulz

Ferguson watched the Real game last night, checking on Ronaldo :wenger:

Man-United

That Villa side is horrible, if we can't beat them then we're in trouble.

Skywarden

Bojan Djordjic praising SAF for his way of dealing with players and protecting them, mentally, even if they aren't "good enough yet".

Cina

Yes, but you can't drop him for today's game when Nani isn't 100% fit.

The wise thing to do is what he appears to be doing...

Start young, bring Nani on with half an hour to go, hope he plays well enough to justfy to Young he should start the next game. Which is the most probable thing that will happen, and IMO the best way to do it.

I wouldn't have started Nani today.
Why not? We don't know how fit Nani is, he's been training all week. He should start a home game against a pretty dire Villa site. He'd torment them even at 70% fitness.

Well I'm thinking that perhaps SAF doesn't rate him quite as highly as you do, or more likely, he knows we're far better covered when he's missing than when Rooney is out. Or, most obviously, he isn't physically ready for 60 or 70 minutes just yet.

Probably not. I'm sure he thinks he's better than Young is though, most people do.

I want him playing because I want him fully fit for City. 20-25 minutes a week isn't enough for that.

I mean Phil Jones started midweek ahead of Rafael, out of position, and he's been a bit crap in the last few months, and injured.

Ludens the Red

Ha! Take that Leroy, Dwight Yorke agrees with me. Dwight motherfecking Yorke!
It's become obvious to me that with Ashley Young, the general bar for acceptable form is set to mediocre to average. Which makes what Dwight Yorke said make perfect sense.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
If we cant beat this Villa side then we are in real trouble they are there for the taking

Just made it back to my yard in time. A bit of speeding on the road is fine by me.

We look like we've got back to a familiar looking team that's got us success. Hope they do the job today. There really are no more wake up calls to be heard. Deliver or Man City or right on us.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No need to panic, I'm sure Nani isn't probably ready for 90 minutes.