Manchester United v Brentford | Pre-season Friendly Wednesday July 28 20:00 BST

SAFMUTD

MUN 2-2 BRE
Mbeumo 78'

Ridiculous mistake from Dalot, also Tuanzebe what the feck is he doing? didnt close up to him have him all the right and left side as if he wanted to protect a backward pass or something instead of blocking the shot.

BarstoolProphet

Enjoyable match, shame we were a bit suspect defensive wise or we would be cruising today. What a fecking goal from Pereira, one of the best I've seen in a while.

lex talionis

Yep, Dalot got skinned but apart from that overall we looked pretty decent. Of course some of the players will be nowhere near the first team but the younger players look promising and the older players have enough left in the tank to pitch in here and there.

None of the questions we had going into the game were answered today. I'd still cash in Lingard but it's admittedly a close call. I'd rather see us give minutes to Pereira than Mata but that's a close call too. Pellistri to me looks like a player who needs to be part of the squad now rather than going out on loan. Heaton can do the job either as the No.3 or even No.2 keeper if we sell either De Gea or Henderson.

If it's worth the trouble at this point to raise a concern about an important player based on what we've seen so far it would be Wan-Bissaka. But it's still only July.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What's your guess for starting line up?
Henderson

AWB
Maguire/Lindelöf
Varane/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Williams

Matic
McTom/Fred/VDB

Greenwood
Fernandes
Sancho

Cavani

If Cavani isn't ready then I think Greenwood up top and James on the wing. I don't know if Shaw will be fit either, left back could be a problem with Telles out too.

siw2007

Getting fitter and fitter, performance was strong mostly tonight too which is good to see, defence is letting us down pre season but not worried about that. Two superb goals too, what a strike by Andreas!

TheReligion

Abusive
Henderson

AWB
Maguire/Lindelöf
Varane/Tuanzebe
Shaw/Williams

Matic
McTom/Fred/VDB

Greenwood
Fernandes
Sancho

Cavani

If Cavani isn't ready then I think Greenwood up top and James on the wing. I don't know if Shaw will be fit either, left back could be a problem with Telles out too.
No Pogba? Or other new signings?

Surely Maguire will be back. Can't see why Cavani wouldn't be either.

el3mel

Am I the only one who feels Tom Heaton wasn't closing his goal well at all in that second goal. The goal feels way too open and a nice invitation for the player to shoot where he pleases.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Am I the only one who feels Tom Heaton wasn't closing his goal well at all in that second goal. The goal feels way too open and a nice invitation for the player to shoot where he pleases.
yeah shades of Henderson v Liverpool, didn't look right despite the nice strike

ChaddyP

That was pretty much brentfords starting xi. We looked good the majority of the match. Fitness levels getting there. Awb got 90 mins which is great for him

Lights Out

Bailly has/had good raw talent, but his injuries and mentality got the best of him. Mourinho wanted Maguire before, but the board didn't approve. Dalot was an odd signing because of his age, but then again he never played many senior games in Portugal. Never mind Jose...people need to learn to let go and move on.
I’m not sure if you’re being serious.

bosskeano

MUN 2-2 BRE
Mbeumo 78'

Ridiculous mistake from Dalot, also Tuanzebe what the feck is he doing? didnt close up to him have him all the right and left side as if he wanted to protect a backward pass or something instead of blocking the shot.
neither covered themselves in much glory on that goal which is why both are probably going to be shipped out on loan or sold.....Dalot should be stopping that with his left and Tuanzebe should be backing him up closing down that space

outside of Greenwood, not another player on the pitch who would be in the starting XI so thats a good run out for the players against a side who's coming into the premier league

also....great to see fans back at Old Trafford and hearing their noise instead of piped in noise or just the players yelling

James35

Good goals, more fitness. Just hope we get our first teamers fit and ready for Leeds. I dread starting the league with the likes of Mata, Matic and James starting.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
neither covered themselves in much glory on that goal which is why both are probably going to be shipped out on loan or sold.....Dalot should be stopping that with his left and Tuanzebe should be backing him up closing down that space

outside of Greenwood, not another player on the pitch who would be in the starting XI so thats a good run out for the players against a side who's coming into the premier league

also....great to see fans back at Old Trafford and hearing their noise instead of piped in noise or just the players yelling
AWB will surely start.

Wilt

Utd played some good football, though conceding six goals in two games needs attending to.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Didn't really learn a lot that we didn't know about the players we have available right now. Some iffy performances but let's hope that's more fitness than indicative of form.

Adamsk7

What a weird comment.

As if James is a paragon of good decision-making on the pitch.
It’s not a weird post. That is something I see people say, that VDB is always ignored, and I am mearly stating my opinion that it seems strange the entire squad seems to do it. Questioning his positioning is perfectly valid - just because someone looks open from our vantage point, doesn’t mean that the ball is easy to get to them or they are the best option at pitch level.
I like Donny but he needs to step it up - when you’re at Utd, you make things happen, you demand the ball and show the rest of the players you can be trusted when you have it. I’m hopeful he will do that this year.

Leonzo1

Just realized how big our squad actually is.
So many categories of useless players just collecting a paycheck.

Tuanzebe: already 24 and clearly not good enough to play for us.
Dalot: his 3rd season here, again clearly not good enough.
Matic: nearing retirement, will get very little game time.
Mata: same as Matic.
Andreas: 25 years old, keeps getting loaned out and priced out of a transfer although again, he is clearly not good enough.
Jones: enough said, he has no future here.
De Gea: it makes zero since to keep him as second choice, really not sure what the plan is with him But hopefully there is one.

I get that we need a big squad for injuries and rotation purposes, no issues with that at all but these players I just listed are all experienced players and not academy kids.

Henderson, Heaton, De Gea.
Varane, Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Axel, Mengi, Jones.
AWB, Shaw, Telles, Dalot, Williams.
Fred, VDB, Mctominay, Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Garner, Levitt, Andreas, Mejbri.
Rashford, Pellistri, Sancho, Amad, James, Lingard, Elanga, Chong, Mata.
Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, Shoreitire.

38 players in and around the first team is bonckers, something needs to be done.

charlenefan

Andreas: 25 years old, keeps getting loaned out and priced out of a transfer although again, he is clearly not good enough.
De Gea: it makes zero since to keep him as second choice, really not sure what the plan is with him But hopefully there is one.

I get that we need a big squad for injuries and rotation purposes, no issues with that at all but these players I just listed are all experienced players and not academy kids.

38 players in and around the first team is bonckers, something needs to be done.
except it's not, you're over exaggerating

Leonzo1

except it's not, you're over exaggerating
I'm really not. These are all first team players or very close to the first team.
Fine, take out Levitt Mengi Mejbri and Shoretire. You are left with 34 clear cut experienced first team players. We can field 3 different teams without using the academy kids. Am I still exaggerating?

charlenefan

I'm really not. These are all first team players or very close to the first team.
Fine, take out Levitt Mengi Mejbri and Shoretire. You are left with 34 clear cut experienced first team players. We can field 3 different teams without using the academy kids. Am I still exaggerating?
Yes

jesperjaap

Said this for a while. People moaning about squad depth and improving the squad is madness. We need to improe the first eleven, outside of that if we signed four for example, there are a good 7-8 squad players and 3/4 very good younger players coming through which is plenty for this seaon.......but as you mention that still leaves a good 15-16 surplus players potentially.

For me that includes big exits such as Pogba, players stealing a livign here such as Pereira and JOnes who have don enothing for four years or so, players who are the wrong age and we shouldnt be keeping for potential "coaching roles" by giving them new contracts as players like Grant and Mata, dead wood liek Lingard and James and then a few youngsters I wont name as its unfair but will never maker it here for me.....thats a big list of potential exits....many of which have been ignored for far too long.

Talk of £100m + transfers out as a kitty....well for me there is up to £200m worth of players to sell in our squad

GK: De Gea, Heaton, Henderson
RB: AWB, Trippier, Laird, Dalot
CB: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Mengi, Axel, Jones
LB: Shaw, Telles, Williams
CM: Bruno, Saul, Fred, McTominay, Matic, VDB Garner, Levitt, Pogba, Andreas
RW: Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Mata, Pellistri, Lingard
LW: Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, James, Chong
ST: Cavani, Martial, Rashford

Green - Starters
Blue - Rotation
Red - Loan
Strike - Gone

Players like Hannibal and Shoretire are tweeners. Too talented to loan out, not quite rotation options. Carabao Cup and Dead Rubber players for this season.

It becomes a much more manageable squad (24 players + tweeners like Hannibal) when you look at it like that. Two things also become apparent:

1. We've got a lot of players to move out in the next few weeks

2. Quality wise, we're definitly lightest in midfield. If we can bring in enough funds through sales, would it be too greedy to hope for two additions there? Looking at our squad, I'd even sell Martial if it meant another midfield signing. Martial leaving would have you very reliant on Cavani staying fit...and also using Rashford/Greenwood up top more often which would open up minutes for Amad and Elanga.

Last edited:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Brentford not taking the knee? Booooo
The team stopped last season, they were looking for more direct action against the problem of racism in society at the time the club said the discussions were led by the black players in the squad.

big rons sovereign

GK: De Gea, Heaton, Henderson
RB: AWB, Trippier, Laird, Dalot
CB: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Mengi, Axel
LB: Shaw, Telles, Williams
CM: Bruno, Saul, Fred, McTominay, Matic, VDB Garner, Levitt, Pogba, Andreas
RW: Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Mata, Pellistri, Lingard
LW: Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, James, Chong
ST: Cavani, Martial, Rashford

Green - Starters
Blue - Rotation
Red - Loan
Strike - Gone

Players like Hannibal and Shoretire are tweeners. Too talented to loan out, not quite rotation options. Carabao Cup and Dead Rubber players for this season.

It becomes a much more manageable squad (24 players + tweeners like Hannibal) when you look at it like that. Two things also become apparent:

1. We've got a lot of players to move out in the next few weeks

2. Quality wise, we're definitly lightest in midfield. If we can bring in enough funds through sales, would it be too greedy to hope for two additions there? Looking at our squad, I'd even sell Martial if it meant another midfield signing. Martial leaving would have you very reliant on Cavani staying fit and also using Rashford/Greenwood up top more often which would open up more minutes for Amad and Elanga.
Agree with most of that bar keeping De Gea.
He was a liability last season.