Manchester United v Crawley Town

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Crawley Town ban 'fan' who taunted Manchester United over Munich crash​
• Club change FA Cup video after air disaster victims mocked
• 'We'd never insult United,' says Crawley's chief executive

The biggest week in Crawley Town's history has begun in inauspicious circumstances after they discovered the video for their official FA Cup song ahead of Saturday's trip to Manchester United features a "fan" taunting their opponents for the Munich air disaster.

The non-league club have moved swiftly to defuse the embarrassment with their chief executive, Alan Williams, describing it as the "most upsetting thing he has ever had to deal with at the club".

Crawley have also called in the police and banned the offender for life after receiving complaints from United fans about the video accompanying the singer Mike Dobie's version of The Specials hit A Message To You Rudy, adapted to have the new title A Message To You Rooney.

Crawley posted the video on YouTube, as well as the club's website, without realising that one of the people dancing by the stage frequently makes aircraft gestures to mock the tragedy in 1958 when the plane carrying United's team crashed on the runway at Munich, killing 23 of the 44 passengers, including eight members of the team, on the way back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade.

The video was filmed at Crawley's ground last Tuesday, two days after the 53rd anniversary of the tragedy, and the same man can also be seen simulating a plane crashing into the ground and holding up his fingers to count one, then nine, then five and eight to symbolise 1958.

"The first we knew was when we took a call from a Manchester United supporter saying it was disgusting," Williams said. "We immediately pulled it off the website and removed it from YouTube.

"We've called in the police to see if they will press charges and we have identified the idiot responsible and banned him from the club for life," Williams said. "He's not welcome here now or ever again. This should be an unbelievable week for us, playing the biggest club there is, and if anyone thinks Crawley would deliberately insult Manchester United over something so sensitive, that is what gets to me more than anything."

The song was to raise money for the club's official charity, the Chestnut Tree children's hospice. There were several takes for the video and Crawley have replaced the original one with a version that does not feature the Munich jibes. The club's information is that the man responsible is a Crystal Palace supporter.

"The people who made the video are absolutely devastated," Williams said. "I've had Mike Dobie on the phone in tears because none of us had seen it. It was intended as a charity song and we would never condone behaviour like that. We have found another take missing the idiot who was responsible."

Crawley Town ban 'fan' who taunted Manchester United over Munich crash | Football | The Guardian

Fair play to Crawley. What a wanker, so close to the anniversary and all.

stubie

Sick people like that should be shot!!! twice if they survive the first bullet

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well done to the club, they couldn't have reacted to that any better really.

Sick fecks like that shouldn't be allowed to enjoy football.

Moriarty

So he's a Palace fan then. Bunch of no-mark twats. Well done Crawley for taking such quick action. As the Black Pearl says, he should get a shoeing like that other Palace-supporting cnut, Matthew Simmons.

mufcwarm92

Looks like they dealt with the whole thing quite well. That song is just a little cringe-worthy but it's good to see them taking it all in good spirit.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Brilliant from Crawley FC.

Wish some top clubs including our own would take such a classy approach to dealing with scum like that.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Well done by Crawley they acted well in those circumstances

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
................................Lindegaard........................

Rafael..................Smalling..................Evans................Fabio

...............Scholes...............Hargo............... Ando

Bebe............................Owen..................................Obertan

Subs: Kuszczak, Brown, Vidic, Giggs, Morrison, King, Hernandez, :)

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land

Good team that Red, nice to see Hargo being fore casted or predicted on fans team sheets again!

yamo123x

lindergaard

neville brown evans fabio

bebe gibson anderson obertan

king owen

bench- kuschak
brady
carrick
morrison
o shea
hernandez

Berlinknives

So he's a Palace fan then. Bunch of no-mark twats. Well done Crawley for taking such quick action. As the Black Pearl says, he should get a shoeing like that other Palace-supporting cnut, Matthew Simmons.
Maybe it is Matthew Simmons ...in which case once wasn't enough.

I'm always right

yes please. I may shed a tear

M160RA

The following team would be good:

--------------Lindergaard-------------
Brown---Smalling-----Evans------Fabio
----------Gibson-----Anderson--------
Morrison--------------------------Obertan
-----------Owen------Hernandez------

Bench: PIG, King, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes, Brady, Bebe

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Deary me. Arrested for making an offensive gesture over football? What a load of shite, if I may say so. Talk about a waste of money. The Public Order Act has so many things wrong with it, I'm not even going to go into it.

Sick people like that should be shot!!! twice if they survive the first bullet
That lad could do with the mother of all beatings in fairness, no need for that shit, fecking gobshite.
It's good to see our fans on here displaying how much more civilised they are than the drunken imbecile in the video.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Can someone explain why he was arrested? :confused:

Sure, ban him, but I don't understand how that broke any laws.

Sniggleton

yes over here (the states) that would be offensive but absolutely protected speech. yes he's a classless twat and trying to wind up united supporters in the basest possibly way, but it's not exactly at the same level as this:

Shouting fire in a crowded theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think the legal basis for this arrest, whatever it is (public order act, did i read?) legitimizes the response of people who would react to a taunt like this with violence, as though attacking one's sporting affiliations is now tantamount to attacking their race, religion, sex, etc. is classless baiting in sport now considered hate speech?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Lindegaard

OShea
Wes
Evans
Fabio

Bebe
Fletcher
Eikrem
Gibson
Obertan

Chicarito

Moriarty

It's good to see our fans on here displaying how much more civilised they are than the drunken imbecile in the video.
Are you in the running for sainthood or something? What would you do if some twat of a Palace fan made aeroplane gestures in front of you and made fun of Munich?

I'd kick his fecking head in whether you consider it civilised or not.

Berlinknives

Okay, let's see

Kuszczak
Rafael
Evans*
Brown
Fabio
Bébé
Carrick
Gibson
Obertan
Berbatov
Hérnandez

Subs:
Lindegaard
O'Shea**
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs
Owen
Rooney

** O'Shea to step in if Evans is out, Smalling to take bench place.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Okay, let's see

Kuszczak
Rafael
Evans*
Brown
Fabio
Bébé
Carrick
Gibson
Obertan
Berbatov
Hérnandez

Subs:
Lindegaard
O'Shea**
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs
Owen
Rooney

** O'Shea to step in if Evans is out, Smalling to take bench place.
Berbatov is not going to start. Fergie has already said he has treated Owen unfairly. So I am sure Owen and Hernandez are going to start up front.

Rooney might not even be on the bench. Berbatov and Rooney might start up front against Marseille on Wednesday.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Deary me. Arrested for making an offensive gesture over football? What a load of shite, if I may say so. Talk about a waste of money. The Public Order Act has so many things wrong with it, I'm not even going to go into it.

:lol:

A good slapping would do the little cnut no harm.

I'd love him to travel. Maybe he fancies a pint on Salford pre match?

The little shit.

ukbob

Caf's Coolest Rag n Bone man
:lol:

A good slapping would do the little cnut no harm.

I'd love him to travel. Maybe he fancies a pint on Salford pre match?

The little shit.
Despite what you might read this guy has no remorse whatsoever. After this all became public his response was and I quote " I did it to show those northern pricks that we to have balls to bring out and show them how we really feel" or words to that effect.