Manchester United v Olympiakos

Status
Not open for further replies.

kps88

I'd like to see him drop people after that display against Liverpool. I'd leave out Carrick and one of Rooney or RVP.

De Gea
Rafael--Rio--Jones--Evra
Cleverley--Fellaini
Januzaj--Kagawa--Welbeck
van Persie

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
None of those feckers, bar 2 or 3, deserve to start if you ask me.

De Gea

Rafael --- Smalling (if fit) --- Rio ---- Buttner

Cleverley --- Fletcher

Welbeck --- Kagawa --- Giggs

Hernandez.​

For the sake of being serious, I suppose you have one of Van Persie or Rooney up top, but I'm deadly serious about the rest of it.

kps88

I forgot about Fletcher. He's disappeared lately; hope he's not suffered a setback. Would be a nice option to have the way Carrick's been playing lately.

Kaos

Most the first team ought to be dropped, disgraceful displays from them.

-----------------De Gea--------
Rafael---Smalling---Jones---Evra
------------Giggs---Fletcher------
---Januzaj----Kagawa------Welbeck
-------------Hernandez--------------

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

De Gea

Cleverley --- Fletcher

Hernandez.​

For the sake of being serious, I suppose you have one of Van Persie or Rooney up top, but I'm deadly serious about the rest of it.
Hernandez couldn't get on the bench today, so maybe he is thinking of something different for Wednesday. Chances are though he's just pushed him even further down the pecking order.
Couple of years ago, he'd have started and done well v Liverpool

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Like going to get a booster shot. Just get it over and done with.
Don't agree. Was much more positive about this one, than yesterday.
Even with a 2-0 deficit to make up.

Kaos

I have a niggling (albeit hopeful) suspicion that losing here will seal Moyes' fate. This is the last competition we can technically compete for, go out and our season has officially ended up nothing with play for. The axe should be swung then.

SER19

I agree with those that say hes been disappointing in many ways, but the season is nearly over and any time i try recall a game where we looked some way creative or like we were about to turn a corner, kagawa was playing. He is absolute, nailed on 100% essential. If he doesnt start this game then my own patience with moyes will show its first big cracks.

De Gea
Rafael
Smalling
Jones
Evra

Carrick
Fellaini

Young
Kagawa
Welbeck

Rooney.

Kagawa and welbeck must start.

Yesterday was shit. a new low, but 4th was gone anyway. This is literally the last game of the season that means anything beyond pride. If we pull it off it would be amazing, who knows how far we could go if we did.

Im going for an ambitious 4-1, though realistically it will probably be 2-1 to us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Big game. Getting past Olympiacos would be a big boost for Moyes, while another loss would be a further nail in his coffin.

I predict neither will happen. We'll have an unconvincing win that won't be enough to take us into the next round. Moyes will say we were unlucky (while also admitting it still isn't good enough). He'll say we deserved the win and we could have scored more. He'll also point to Mata's absence for the two legs as an important factor.

In terms of selction, I can't see him dropping either Rooney or RvP if they're fit. At least one of Valencia and Young will start, inevitably. Midfield will be interesting, not sure who he will/should pick there.

It really shouldn't be impossible for us to get past Olympiacos here but it's hard to be too optimistic atm.

VivaJanuzaj

De Gea

Cleverley --- Fletcher

Hernandez.​

I agree with that idea, although I want to make some changes:

De Gea
Smalling --- Ferdinand --- Jones --- Evra
Fellaini --- Fletcher
Young --- Kagawa --- Giggs
Welbeck​

Rafael has to be dropped for this match. Fellaini and Jones deserve the extra start, they worked their socks off against Pool. Evra is there because Buttner is crapper than him(and that's tough).

kps88

Hernandez couldn't get on the bench today, so maybe he is thinking of something different for Wednesday. Chances are though he's just pushed him even further down the pecking order.
Couple of years ago, he'd have started and done well v Liverpool
Injured on Mexico duty.

SER19

a shame nani doesnt have a couple of reserve games under his belt.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
a shame nani doesnt have a couple of reserve games under his belt.
I'm probably one of the few who still thinks he can come good, and be a real threat.
Compared to Janujaz, Kagawa and Mata looking lost out wide, or Valencia and Young looking really predictable, he's got the best parts of all their games, and pace on top.

SER19

I'm probably one of the few who still thinks he can come good, and be a real threat.
Compared to Janujaz, Kagawa and Mata looking lost out wide, or Valencia and Young looking really predictable, he's got the best parts of all their games, and pace on top.
agreed. i fear he'll be sold this summer though

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'm very disappointed I can't go to this one - the last Champions League night at Old Trafford is something I hope all that do go do their best to savour and make as memorable as possible in the stands (certainly as we know a memorable performance on the pitch is too much to ask). I hope the supporters can bring the atmosphere at the end of the Liverpool game to this one, and go out in style.

As for the team... feck knows really. So many under-performing players that I'd like to drop, whilst others like Giggs, Fletcher and Kagawa don't seem to be involved at all recently. Ideally I'd want:

De Gea
Rafael Jones Vidic Evra
Fletcher Fellaini Cleverley
Kagawa Rooney
RVP
Vidic can't play against West Ham so we may as well save our other options at centre-back by playing him here (might be his last OT appearance all things considered); the midfield is the usual disaster area but I think Carrick needs to sit out a game for his own sake (though obviously if something is wrong with Fletcher - explaining his recent absence - then we don't have a choice in that area); maybe Welbeck should start over RVP? Is Giggs retired already? Can Kagawa be let back into OT?

I fear we'll see the return of Young and Valencia in the actual line-up on Wednesday, but tbh I doubt it'd make much difference at this stage.

As I said before, the important thing for us as supporters is to savour the occasion - we have a proud history in the competition and should go out with our heads held high.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

Scout
As I said before - the important thing for us as supporters is to savour the occasion - we have a proud history in the competition and should go out with our heads held high.
It's a noble sentiment, but it's kind of tough to go out with your helds held high when you're going out to Olympiakos...

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It's a noble sentiment, but it's kind of tough to go out with your helds held high when you're going out to Olympiakos...
True enough, but if the supporters can produce THAT atmosphere whilst 3-0 down to fecking Liverpool then anything is possible :devil:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Let's just please start Kagawa this time. Would also start Giggs as it's games like this where he has one of his wonder performances where he's closing down players and ghosting past defenders at will.

-------------De Gea---------
Rafael---Jones---Vidic---Evra
--------Fletcher---Carrick----
Welbeck---Kagawa---Giggs--
------------Rooney------------

LR7

Line-ups are irrelevant at this point. Regardless of who plays it's just a different brand of abject, disappointing, clueless shit. I have no faith we can turn it around which is a bit sad. I used to feel nothing was impossible, and I can only imagine the players are feeling a similar lack of belief.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If I could be certain that losing would mean the sack for Moyes, then I'd be willing for us to be thrashed 0-5. Given that I doubt it, I'd prefer 5-0 please.

Lu Tze

Meh. Just put all of our tallest players on and play like Stoke, it can't get any more disappointing.

De Gea
Smalling Jones Vidic Evans
Carrick Rooney
Valencia Fellaini Januzaj
Welbeck
I'm joking,

mostly... I actually subtly think such an aerially dominant lineup could kinda work on set-pieces....

TheReligion

Abusive
No doubt another dramatic change in the way we "play"

Moyes really needs to start sticking to a system that works with a core of players.

Marcus

If I could be certain that losing would mean the sack for Moyes, then I'd be willing for us to be thrashed 0-5. Given that I doubt it, I'd prefer 5-0 please.
My exact sentiment.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Line-ups are irrelevant at this point. Regardless of who plays it's just a different brand of abject, disappointing, clueless shit. I have no faith we can turn it around which is a bit sad. I used to feel nothing was impossible, and I can only imagine the players are feeling a similar lack of belief.
At least if we go for pretty a much a fully changed line-up/fringe players - Moyes can select the "passionate" option and tell them to "Prove a Point"

Annihilate Now!

Scout
No doubt another dramatic change in the way we "play"

Moyes really needs to start sticking to a system that works with a core of players.
He needs to develop some sort of system first.

At this point, I would genuinely be slightly relieved if I saw Fellaini line-up behind a striker ... as it would actually show evidence of some sort of tactic/system.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
----------De Gea-------------
Rafael-Smalling-Jones--Evra
-------Fellaini-Cleverley------
-Young----Kagawa--Welbeck
------------Rooney-----------

Unlikely i know, but i'd like to see this team.

TheReligion

Abusive
He needs to develop some sort of system first.

At this point, I would genuinely be slightly relieved if I saw Fellaini line-up behind a striker ... as it would actually show evidence of some sort of tactic/system.
Agreed.

This is what worries me most about Moyes. He has been here almost a season and is yet to show a rigid style of play he wants to stick with. I think the fans would be far more acceptant of our current problems if this was the case and would be quite keen for it to play out when he can bring in personnel to fit his style and vision.

Minkaro

The way it's going for us this season, we'll get to 3-0, the concede a late goal.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Rafael has to be dropped for this match. Fellaini and Jones deserve the extra start, they worked their socks off against Pool. Evra is there because Buttner is crapper than him(and that's tough).
Why, he was our best performer yesterday? (which is not saying much, but yeah.). He's one of the only players who looks like they're arsed.

----------------------DDG
Rafael-------Smalling----Evans/Jones----Evra

------------Fletcher---Giggs

Januzaj----------Kagawa------------Welbeck
--------------------Rooney

* feck, might as well go for it with that midfield, but it's never going to happen.

Shark

@NotShark
I want to be optimistic, but I just can't see us not conceding and winning 3 or 4-0. We can't score a goal to save our lives at home, and we're a joke at the back. I think we're going out.

Last edited:

Lu Tze

We could always go to an offensive 4-3-3.

De Gea
Rafael Jones Smalling Evra
Fellaini
Rooney--Kagawa
Mata-------------------Januzaj
Welbeck
The only reason I suggest this is because the only thing I think could radically change our season is a complete change in system. I'd be interested to see if the team could produce results, at least.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Valencia will start i believe as i think Moyes will appreciate his directness and defensive potential, i also wouldn't be surprised to see Kagawa on the left or Danny in the No 10 role.

Besides matters of personnel has Moyes learnt from the Sunderland match in so far as the team's approach being sufficiently uninhibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.