Manchester United v Olympiakos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gannicus

I got flogged here less than 24 hours ago for suggesting Giggs still had some game left in him.

Good to know I've been vindicated.

Red Stone

PSG, Barca or Real Madrid, please. I want to see Messi, Ronaldo or Zlatan have their way with our defense.

If we somehow pull through against those teams we deserve to win the whole thing.

Blue always red

Mata behind Rooney now?

Probably not, probably Rooney behind Welbeck.
Mata behind Rooney would be a huge waste. When we'd lose the ball I'd expect Rooney to end up dropping so deep that when Mata does get the ball Rooney will basically be next to/behind him and it'd just be pass, pass, pass cross.

stu_1992

Great to be through. Most pleasing aspect was the level of desire was much improved, we have to replicate that in other games if we want to get back on track generally.
I'm glad my fears about getting exposed on the counter weren't confirmed. Giggs was very influential actually. I was concerned when we started to drop deep in the second half, I thought we were inviting unnecessary pressure. Hope RVP isn't seriously injured, had a very good game. Have to mention De Gea too, arguably our most important player.

Blue always red

That is a game for the players for me. They gave everything. I'm not gonna bother talking about Moyes as for me this was the players, they clearly wanted this.
But then by that logic the losses have been down to the players as well? We came out with a simple game plan today, there was no fancy interchanging or this trequartista crap, simple tactics and the players did well.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
King Kenny is tearing him a new butthole.
It's absolutely fantastic.

"Kroos isn't a midfielder, and can't get games in Bayern"

"He is a midfielder, and does get plenty of games"

JakeC

If we're conservative in the next transfer window - a leftback, and a central midfielder
If we go along with expectations - a leftback, a central midfielder, another midfielder, or a winger

We'll be fine.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
King Kenny is tearing him a new butthole.
But then Kenny did say that Smalling, Januzaj, Jones and Rafael would all start for a CL winning team, did he not? Where are Giles and Brady anyway? They usually shut Dunphy up a bit more than Kenny can.

JakeC

What's he saying?
Basically that we have a very poor team, with only De Gea, Jones, and Rooney are good enough to win a CL in the future. That We don't have the money to attract top players, and that it's all fergies fault.

Cina

But then Kenny did say that Smalling, Januzaj, Jones and Rafael would all start for a CL winning team, did he not? Where are Giles and Brady anyway? They usually shut Dunphy up a bit more than Kenny can.
Did he? I thought he just argued that they're more than good enough to be considered good building blocks for Utd, where as Dunphy was saying they weren't good enough.

mancan92

But then by that logic the losses have been down to the players as well? We came out with a simple game plan today, there was no fancy interchanging or this trequartista crap, simple tactics and the players did well.
For me it was just clear that certain players had a point to prove and for once were ready to up their performance in terms of personal pride. It was still a game which could have gone either way. At the end of the day it was a good game for Moyes but more than anything I felt it was a players performance we werent all that cohesive or fluent but they got the job done and a star player won us the game. Moyes will get plaudits for this result and to a degree he deserves some of it but after all the critics about laying blame at the players I got the feeling they felt they had to prove a point to everyone.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Did he? I thought he just argued that they're more than good enough to be considered good building blocks for Utd, where as Dunphy was saying they weren't good enough.
Maybe...I thought Dunphy asked who would get into a CL winning side. Maybe not.

AlwaysRedwood

For me it was just clear that certain players had a point to prove and for once were ready to up their performance in terms of personal pride. It was still a game which could have gone either way. At the end of the day it was a good game for Moyes but more than anything I felt it was a players performance we werent all that cohesive or fluent but they got the job done and a star player won us the game. Moyes will get plaudits for this result and to a degree he deserves some of it but after all the critics about laying blame at the players I got the feeling they felt they had to prove a point to everyone.
That's exactly what i thought.

Empire

Mata behind Rooney would be a huge waste. When we'd lose the ball I'd expect Rooney to end up dropping so deep that when Mata does get the ball Rooney will basically be next to/behind him and it'd just be pass, pass, pass cross.
No, Rooney has before and will stay up top when asked too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I had no faith, delighted to be proved wrong. I hope to God that Moyes' Man Utd keep proving me wrong too.

So many players looked like their old selves tonight: Antonio Valencia took a man on, Carrick dribbled in the middle of the park, Rooney played through balls, Van Persie was razor sharp. Even Fletch when he came on looked well up for it.

Special mention to De Gea. When you have him between the sticks, you'll always be able to weather a few storms.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I don't care what happened in the season so far, don't care about the details of the game, that was FECKING EPIC!!!

Haven't had this feeling for a while now.

SER19

What about if it's in the 80th minute and we are losing with another shit performance again? Would you like the banner to be rolled out then?
just saw this. no it would have been the wrong time

bugmat

Buckle up....
And relax! The first 70 mins were great wrt commitment, fight, desire and so on. RvP finally found his shooting boots, and Roney finally looked like he knew how to play with him. The last 20 was panic mode but we've done that under Fergie too rally though not against such crappy opposition.

redevil2

And relax! The first 70 mins were great wrt commitment, fight, desire and so on. RvP finally found his shooting boots, and Roney finally looked like he knew how to play with him. The last 20 was panic mode but we've done that under Fergie too rally though not against such crappy opposition.
His third goal from free kick was so nicely executed too. Very happy for him. Hopefully his injury was minor

redevil2

So Giggs was masterful, De Gea was brilliant and Fellaini did well as a late sub?

Perhaps I should change my name to Gannicus Nostradamus.
It's not much about him did well as a late sub. His role was to keep the ball around the corner flag to get corners and keeping the ball in their half as much as possible. Something any kids can do.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just got home, that was pretty darn good.

And I have to say, having been moved from East 2 for the game, the away fans in the SE quadrant have a pretty excellent view! Wouldn't be against sitting them more often! Stick the away fans in tier 3!

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
wow, wasn't expecting us to go through, but great work by the lads. Missed the game, but hopefully we played well at the same time

pete_8

wow, wasn't expecting us to go through, but great work by the lads. Missed the game, but hopefully we played well at the same time
We played better and with alot more spirit which was pleasing. Great result but we will have to improve again to get any further. I think Dortmund is our best chance of going through..

Status
Not open for further replies.