Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    They have Tyrone Mings at the back, I reckon we score at least 2.
    Not completely certain he'll return after his ban. We've conceded 1 goal in 4 games since Kortney Hause came in. His forte though is heading cross after cross away and he struggles with good forward movement so big decision for Dean Smith that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Not completely certain he'll return after his ban. We've conceded 1 goal in 4 games since Kortney Hause came in. His forte though is heading cross after cross away and he struggles with good forward movement so big decision for Dean Smith that.
    To be fair your defence has been pretty solid, but on the other side of the coin our attack has been pretty devastating at times so I’d fancy us to score. The fear for me is the other was as I’m certain Grealish will cause us issues abs you’ll get chances. I do think we may have a little to much for you guys here though.

Alemar

Just think in last season's home game v us you were starting Brandon Williams (who El Ghazi even back then was destroying before he went off injured after 15 minutes), Andeas Pereira, Mata and Dan James. And Lingard was your last 15 minute "supersub."

Can you start them all again please? :lol:
    No, we can’t - Pereira is on loan, fortunately, and there are serious talks of both Williams and Lingard being sold/loaned out in January, too :) Only Mata remains, but he won’t start for sure, not against Villa. You shouldn’t bet on Fosu-Mensah starting either ...

seriously speaking, it’s actually quite possible that James gets a start but it depends on OGS’ tactics. Rather than that, the squad more or less chooses itself based on merit and rotation scheme.

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    I haven't seen Villa play much this season but you seem to have an excellent defensive record. Is it due to a defensive setup and great counter attacking to win games or general better control of games? And how do you see Villa lining up against us? I hope due to their confidence they come out to play rather than just sit back.
    Martinez has been amazing for one. We conceded so many goals from corners last season and he's brilliant at claiming them.

We were very naive for most of the season, just constantly wanting to get forward and leaving space for the best counter attacking teams to exploit, your second goal at VP which I think Greenwood scored was a good example of this.

We can sit back now and limit teams space, Leicester away was a great example of where we were disciplined and limited them to very little chances.

Watkins hasn't scored for a while (although VAR has robbed him of two goals recently) but his forward movement is on a different level to Wesley so we've got much better flow in counter attack now.

Bringing in Craig Shakespeare into the coaching staff has given us a bit more top level tactical nous as Dean Smith was lacking in that last year in terms of how he set up for games.

Still not perfect. Anyone who saw the Chelsea game the other night saw we were giving Chilwell far too much space down the left and he eventually produced a good cross for Giroud to score.

Wonder if you'll keep Telles in as I presume he's better in opposition half than Shaw.

Pace Abuser

Villa are not going to sit back. They're actually going to try and impose themselves. Chelsea couldn't take advantage of it and Liverpool didn't see it coming.

I think we'll be better prepared and countering suits us too. We'll win.

VivaRonaldo85

Tough game coming up. Villa are one of the most improved sides in the league this season. Think they’ll have a go with nothing to lose from their standpoint.

DDG

Tuanzebe
    Bailly
    Maguire
    Shaw

Fred
    Pogba
    Fernandes

Greenwood
    Martial
    Rashford

Subs: Henderson, AWB, Telles, Matic, McTominay, Mata, Cavani, James.

3-1 United (Bruno, Martial, Pogba).

Giggsy13

It’ll be interesting to see how Ole sets up for this. Villa are great defensively, so we’d want Bruno to start for this but we can’t risk injury. I’d go with VDB, Fred and McT in midfield while having a front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood.

Alemar

————————de Gea———————-
    Bissaka—-Bailly—-Maguire—-Shaw
    —————————McFred——————
    ??????—————-Bruno——Rashford
    ————————-Martial———————-

The squad is clear bar the RW - it may be Greenwood, James or perhaps we would even play VDB opting for a 4-4-2 diamond

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Just think in last season's home game v us you were starting Brandon Williams (who El Ghazi even back then was destroying before he went off injured after 15 minutes), Andeas Pereira, Mata and Dan James. And Lingard was your last 15 minute "supersub."

Can you start them all again please? :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50534315

Shows how much can change in 13 months sometimes.

Shows how much miles better you are in final third now as I think you'll start Martial to try to drag our CBs out of position and McTominay and Fred obviously starting so McGinn and Luiz got to be ready for that.

I can't see why you'd rest Bruno for this. Friday evening to Wednesday is a decent gap to rest and then FA cup might be postponed so you get another 11 day break to Liverpool.

Would get a massive boost seeing him as a sub. Cavani is more obvious one to take out given his age. Can see James starting ahead of Greenwood aswell.

Would be more than happy with a point just like v Chelsea. Hopefully Barkley has been found in whatever dark room he's squatting in as he'll be a good one to throw on in last 30 minutes and give you something else to think about.
    I've probably watched90% of your games this season.
    Mostly for Grealish and fantasy footy reasons.

You're probably my fabourite team to watch to be honest. Heck of a turnaround.
    A Grealish injury away from ruin, but most teams have that one ultimate star man. Even Liverpool with Salah out would be a much different prospect

Shiva87

I would not be surprised to McT and Fred back in for this one. I think Ole is currently alternating between them two, and Matic + Pogba to get through the festive season with a view to keep our midfielders fresh. Also lines up with McT and Fred playing again v/s Liverpool (which is the likely selection for that game).

Scott can do a job on McGinn and we'll need AWB to do one on Grealish.

From an attacking sense, we can definitely get a goal or two with however we line up. Perhaps rest Bruno for the first 60 mins and let DVB have a good go at Villa. Prove why he was the better back up signing compared to Grealish ;)

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    I've probably watched90% of your games this season.
    Mostly for Grealish and fantasy footy reasons.

You're probably my fabourite team to watch to be honest. Heck of a turnaround.
    A Grealish injury away from ruin, but most teams have that one ultimate star man. Even Liverpool with Salah out would be a much different prospect
    We'd miss him but Barkley has hardly played in last two months so he'd give us more options in AM role albeit more direct.

One we can't afford out of them all is Douglas Luiz who's been brilliant at DM last 6 months. Lose him and it's Nakamba or Hourihane for DM.....and I'd rather not.

Tom Heaton fit again so even losing Martinez wouldn't be that terrible compared to if we still had Nyland as number two.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    Not convinced this goes ahead, but might end up being our last match for a while, would be nice to go into the break after a win.

Redlyn

Cavani
    Martial Bruno rashford
    McT Fred
    Shaw, McGuire, Bailly, AWB
    DDG

Red_Jamie

Assuming City game gets postponed I’d go as strong as possible. We’ll have a break after this till Watford.

AWB needs to get his finger out, he’ll need to mark Grealish.

I think Ole will pick...

De Gea
    AWB - Bailly - Maguire -
    McTominay - Fred
    Rashford - Bruno - Martial
    Cavani​
    Interesting tactic to go with 10 men from the outset

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
    I expect it won't be easy and I won't be surprised if we drop points (shouldn't drop all three, though).

That said, if Villa fancy themselves here and decide to have a go - we should get ample opportunities to punish them. The worst case scenario for us is a stingy, tight affair - where we absolutely have to capitalize on one or two good chances. But based on Villa's performances so far, that probably isn't the likeliest scenario.

So - yeah - let's go with the prediction of an open-ended affair. In which case we'll win by a goal or two.

4-2 United - why not?

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    I expect it won't be easy and I won't be surprised if we drop points (shouldn't drop all three, though).

That said, if Villa fancy themselves here and decide to have a go - we should get ample opportunities to punish them. The worst case scenario for us is a stingy, tight affair - where we absolutely have to capitalize on one or two good chances. But based on Villa's performances so far, that probably isn't the likeliest scenario.

So - yeah - let's go with the prediction of an open-ended affair. In which case we'll win by a goal or two.

4-2 United - why not?
    We won't be gung ho. We went to Leicester and played a very tight and disciplined match (they were without Vardy tbf) and won late on with one of the few good strikes all night. Same at Wolves although they created more chances.

Liverpool was just 90 minutes of beautiful madness. At Chelsea we were slow first half to close down Chilwell but sorted that second half and attacked well when we could.

Way to win really is to mega press us in central midfield. Leeds completely ran through us at Villa Park and had 20 odd shots in the end. We always struggle v Southampton aswell so I presume McTom and Fred is your best midfield combination to do that hence why you rested both?

We have been deadly on counter attack so far this season so that gives me hope though. Wolves had 5 shots on target last night and also wasted a few decent counter attacks in second half despite mainly defending so hoping we can post similar as that should mean we score at least once like we did at Chelsea.

We're not Leeds basically if you're expecting us to mimic their tactics!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    They won’t be as tight and disciplined as Wolves but will offer more going forward - I can see it being 3-1/3-2

Alemar

so I presume McTom and Fred is your best midfield combination to do that hence why you rested both?
    just normal rotation. Schedule is tight, many games, so Ole just rotates heavily in the positions where we have several options. All of Fred, McTominay, Pogba and Matic play a lot - but neither of them plays all games

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
    We have been deadly on counter attack so far this season so that gives me hope though.
    Yep - but so have United. As mentioned in another thread, United and Villa top the stats in that regard.

Good post, by the way - what you say about the middle of the park is interesting. I don't think United are capable of doing what Leeds did consistently over the ninety - it just ain't the way we tend to play. But - yes - Fred and McTom are definitely better suited to pressing aggressively as such, and they'll probably start (I would hope).

Offsideagain

I reckon the PL will be pressured into instigating a ‘circuit breaker’ by the Government and the Scousers just as we are hitting form. If it does go ahead and we play Cavani up front and Rash on the right, we should prevail.

Mcking

Anyone know what's going on with Donny? Something seems seriously off there. Seems like Ole doesn't rate him. Would be a perfect game to start him tomorrow.
    Same reason Daniel James doesn't start many. There is nothing strange, he is just not good enough. It is blindingly obvious.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
    Same reason Daniel James doesn't start many. There is nothing strange, he is just not good enough. It is blindingly obvious.
    Wow, you think he's on DJ level? And James has been starting games. He seems to be bottom of the list for a CM spot. I think he's possibly our third most talented midfielder after Bruno and Pogba. Ole definitely seems unimpressed though - he must have his reasons. I'm thinking it's a workrate issue, maybe he's not up to speed on that.

Mcking

Wow, you think he's on DJ level? And James has been starting games. He seems to be bottom of the list for a CM spot. I think he's possibly our third most talented midfielder after Bruno and Pogba. Ole definitely seems unimpressed though - he must have his reasons. I'm thinking it's a workrate issue, maybe he's not up to speed on that.
    There's much more competition for places in midfield compared to the wing. He has played a fair few amount of minutes and hasn't been better than Fernandes, Pogba, Fred, Matic or McTominay. It's only fair that he is sixth choice, and there is nothing strange about the sixth choice midfielder not playing many games.

Thiagoal

You think he’s performed better then Fred and McT this season then...

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
    You think he’s performed better then Fred and McT this season then...
    Nah mate, not saying that necessarily. I mean, McT Hasn't been brilliant in a lot of games, others he has. I guess I'm asking why we even signed him then? Why spend 35m on a 6th choice midlfielder? Money could have been used elsewhere. Just seems strange to spend big on a player who two seasons ago was playing in a CL semi final to not even use him. Would like to see what he could do with a run of games, but that's unlikely to happen.

Ryan Bobson

Villa was always a 6 point banker every season, I think they were always the most profitable team we faced in the top flight over the years

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
    Hope Bailly starts again. Btw, wonder if Ole has had a few talks with Bailly over his typical moronic challenges. I can't remember seeing any of these challenges lately. He has just been really solid all around. Man, hope i'm on to something. Bailly at his best is a really good CB.

bsCallout

Hope Bailly starts again. Btw, wonder if Ole has had a few talks with Bailly over his typical moronic challenges. I can't remember seeing any of these challenges lately. He has just been really solid all around. Man, hope i'm on to something. Bailly at his best is a really good CB.
    I agree with that observation. He's seemed bizarrely composed.

Cantonagotmehere

Totally agree...but hate talking about it. I feel like I'm going to jinx it. The play he made where he realized he could drop off, and made that great recover near the box on a Wolves break was awesome.

Alemar

Anyone know what's going on with Donny? Something seems seriously off there. .
    Nothing with Donny. He is simply behind 5 other players in the pecking order based on performances. At the same time, it’s good to have him for squad depth

SATA

Greenwood should start as a central striker with both Martial and Rashford flanking him on either side with Bruno just behind them

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    I reckon the PL will be pressured into instigating a ‘circuit breaker’ by the Government and the Scousers just as we are hitting form. If it does go ahead and we play Cavani up front and Rash on the right, we should prevail.
    Not before Friday they won't - no chance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Eric Bailly image Eric Bailly 52% of 428 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions