Kick-off
Tue, 12 December 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jeffthered

Manchester Utd vs Bayern Munich is a big game, regardless of form etc. I think they will beat us, just putting that out there unfortunately (my recent predictions haven't been that great, so that may be something..) . So I'm just going to enjoy the occasion.

If we go out of Europe, I actually think this may help us. Settle us down, and see things a little clearer until the end of the season. Just my opinion. I hope we play responsibly and show an element of organisation.

tomaldinho1

Everyone will care. It’s a prestigious game. So the expectation is to win. Even more so after the loss to Frankfurt.
    Calling it now then, Kane starts, gets inured, Tommy Tuchel falls out with the board, lose to Stuttgart, sacked.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
    It feels so weird to care so little about a big European game. Normally in the past I would have been so excited for the whole day, now I don't really see a good outcome. Most likely we will just lose by 3-4 goals and embarrass ourselves some more in Europe, but even if we somehow fluke a win against a weakened Bayern team while Copenhagen and Galatasaray split points making us go through, I would definitely not look forward to the next round where virtually any team that won their group would obliterate us into oblivion.

I think Bayern will be hurting after Frankfurt loss and will take this comfortably. 5-1 to them this time.

Statue of Limitations

Way more nervous than I thought I would be ahead of this - can't shake that the other game is destined to end up in a draw and that our progress is up to us winning this.
    We have to win, 2-1 squeaky bum time and hope for that other draw.

GlasgowCeltic

Going out of the Champions League may help the team knuckle down and focus on their aim of qualifying for the Champions League

Matt Varnish

Probably, but if I can protect myself from colds I'd expect professional athletes with medical staff at their disposal to do better, particularly going into two massive games. It's a bit suspicious that it's these two individuals.
    They've been arrested for conning people into thinking they are professional footballers

RedUnited86

Hoping the team goes out of Europe completely, so we can focus on the league to ensure we get back into Europe?

What a depressing cycle.

astracrazy

Way more nervous than I thought I would be ahead of this - can't shake that the other game is destined to end up in a draw and that our progress is up to us winning this.
    We have to win, 2-1 squeaky bum time and hope for that other draw.
    I was nervous for the last game because it was actually in our hands. Not sure how I feel about tonight.

I'll switch on in injury time so I can hear the boos at FT.
    Hoping the team goes out of Europe completely....
    Are you really a fan or trolling?

RedUnited86

I was nervous for the last game because it was actually in our hands. Not sure how I feel about tonight.

Are you really a fan or trolling?
    Regarding going out of Europe, I'm referring to those wanting it to happen just so we can focus on getting back into Europe next season.

It's idiotic.

tomaldinho1

Had a lot of bad luck this season so I'm somewhat hopeful of a minor miracle tonight. It's the hope that kills you, I guess.

FrenchRed

Hoping the team goes out of Europe completely, so we can focus on the league to ensure we get back into Europe?

What a depressing cycle.
    We need the money. If we have no European football revenue, even from the Europa, we are in trouble for FFP if we actually want to sign anyone.

With the new format of the CL next year, anyone not in it will be at a huge disadvantage. I can't see us getting top 4, so the EL may be a way through. I am not actually convinced that being coached week in week out with European footbal will help this group of players either, so for me it'll be a diaster if we go out.

If we do go out, the blame can be firmly laid on Onana this time round tbh.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
    Sarcasm indeed it was. Say we beat Bayern and actually go forward in the CL. There is no universe in which that would be a terrible thing for United. Even if we’re decimated by injuries then we go with Gore, Shoretire or whoever else we’ve got left on the bench afsinst Real Madrid and go out like men, not mice.
    Likelihood of us going through is next to nothing and I would rather us not play the EL. Good on you for keeping faith though.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

What a depressing cycle.
    Maybe come back better prepared for it next year and ensure we can attract good players to do that?

RedUnited86

Maybe come back better prepared for it next year and ensure we can attract good players to do that?
    It's been shown time and time again that the requirement of Champions League football in order to attract good players is a myth.

lex talionis

Likelihood of us going through is next to nothing and I would rather us not play the EL. Good on you for keeping faith though.
    Nothing to do with faith. It is no way unusual for a club supporter to want the club he supports to win a football match, especially if it means progressing in a cup. It is highly unusual, in fact disgraceful, for a club supporter to want us to lose a football match under the belief that since we can't win the cup anyway, why bother trying.

The exception would be that if winning a match would enable Liverpool to qualify for the CL, but I apart from there is no ethical justification for throwing a football match if it meant the difference between crashing out of the CL or progressing in the CL.

Bwuk

Can Onana make it 6 games out of 6in the Champions league where he's cost us?

NiceGuyEddie

Can see us having the game of the season for this, beating Bayern comfortably, smiles and pats on back all round. Meanwhile Copenhagen are drawing and Galatasaray smash in the winner during the 96th minute. Thursday night football memes ensue.

We don't deserve to go through with the absolute turd we have performed thus far.

The_Midfielder

0-3 against Bayern
    4-0 against Liverpool

So don't want to suffer .. so unsure whether to watch or not to watch

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
    It's been shown time and time again that the requirement of Champions League football in order to attract good players is a myth.
    Yes, instead we can attract big names with massive contracts while other talented players hungry to work hard and succeed at football feck off elsewhere.

suheilsworld

I don’t mind us getting into Europa. After all it’s another chance for a European trophy, albeit a tough one with some good teams involved this season. However, it might be our only chance to get CL as we don’t seem to be improving to get top 4

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    Can Onana make it 6 games out of 6in the Champions league where he's cost us?
    He saved our bacon in the Copenhagen home game to be fair. But yeah, he has almost certainly cost us Champions League progression this season, among other things.

backpass

I don’t disagree that we can be beaten. But there will be a focus on that game. That’s just how Bayern works. You don’t lose 5:1 to Frankfurt without giving everything you have against an opponent like United a few days later. This game is important. Not because of points or anything. But because of prestige.
    But what do you think is more important for Bayern . Coming back after 2 bad results vs Man Utd or the game vs Stuttgart on Sunday.

The White Pele

I agree to an extent but I do think players look at the inconsistency and turbulence at United and think they may be better off avoiding us. Yes there are examples of us attracting “good” players, even beating City to a few but look at the ones they have beaten us to. The best prospects coming into their peak years will always pick City at the moment. If we were consistently playing Champions League football then I think we would have had more pull than them over the last 10 years.

We’ve managed to attract the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Zlatan, Lukaku, Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Casemiro. But look at the profile of those players. Big contracts, some of them on the decline, others with question marks over character, mentality or fitness.

Could we have attracted the likes of De Bruyne, Stones, Walker, Haaland, Bellingham, Dias, Van Dijk, Gundogan over City or another rival? Would a young Rooney and Ronaldo choose us today in the state we are in? I have my doubts.

Lee565

I agree to an extent but I do think players look at the inconsistency and turbulence at United and think they may be better off avoiding us. Yes there are examples of us attracting “good” players, even beating City to a few but look at the ones they have beaten us to. The best prospects coming into their peak years will always pick City at the moment. If we were consistently playing Champions League football then I think we would have had more pull than them over the last 10 years.

We’ve managed to attract the likes of Pogba, Sanchez, Zlatan, Lukaku, Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Casemiro. But look at the profile of those players. Big contracts, some of them on the decline, others with question marks over character, mentality or fitness.

Could we have attracted the likes of De Bruyne, Stones, Walker, Haaland, Bellingham, Dias, Van Dijk, Gundogan over City or another rival? Would a young Rooney and Ronaldo choose us today in the state we are in? I have my doubts.
    De bruyne yes, we were actually the better Manchester side that summer when we finished above city and had beaten them 4-2 but went on and brought martial, Schneiderlin and schweinsteiger instead of going after de bruyne

stefan92

Supports
    Hannover 96
    But what do you think is more important for Bayern . Coming back after 2 bad results vs Man Utd or the game vs Stuttgart on Sunday.
    The most important thing for them will be the opportunity to prepare professionally and focused for the match against Stuttgart. The only way this will be possible is a convincing win today, otherwise knives would be out and everyone would demand blood (sack Tuchel, sell whatever player) and there would be a media frenzy.

Unam333

Hopefully Onana plays a blinder today or the knives will be out (again).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw