Kick-off
Sat, 7 October 2023 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sixdwarf

I think he is actually dangerous around the box, it is deeper in the midfield that's an issue with him.
    He was originally a forward and if you see him play for Scotland he is a different player when allowed to go forward. Two goals against Spain and keeps scoring for Scotland

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    He was originally a forward and if you see him play for Scotland he is a different player when allowed to go forward. Two goals against Spain and keeps scoring for Scotland
    Yeah. I knew he started out as a striker, so cannot understand why they think he can sit so deep.

Hester_manc

It's incredible that it's the players with the most experience who play the worst in time: Varane, Casemiro, Onana, Rashford, Bruno

sixdwarf

I'd take Onana out of that. Yeah he made the mistake but he also made two great saves that kept it at 1-0. I'd include Bruno in the top 3 worst. He was shocking all game. I'd also put Evans in the top 3. He was great alongside Maguire.
    My gran would have made those Onana saves..they weren't saves. They were right at him.

It's B Rubble

Don’t even go there. FFS! The world has gone mad.
    I don’t care as I know what you meant .. BUT I am sure you know that in this day and age where black players have gotten bananas thrown at them, calling a black player “bananas”, is a bit tone deaf.

sixdwarf

Yeah. I knew he started out as a striker, so cannot understand why they think he can sit so deep.
    When he came into the team Mourinho had him as a big defensive player and he would just do what he was told. He has played in the back four ffs. But it isn't his best position and in all honesty he has had indifferent games. But Steve Clark for Scotland saw he had different attributes and gets the best out of him. He is a forward looking attacking midfielder who gets up and down the pitch. He is a versatile player. But pays the price for his willingness to play wherever. He could easily play as a false nine even.

sixdwarf

Ten Hag's view of the game is utterly nonsense. He doesn't think we got away with that. They kept going the whole game," he said. "We were losing but the belief was always there. We created chances but the ball was not going in the net."
    He thinks there is a spirit. There was zero until the end. This result paper's over the cracks and he must open his eyes to that.
    McT proved Ten Hag wrong.

The Hilton

:lol: So undeserved but good to see McTominay show a bit of movement in the box. I'll take anything remotely positive given the state of our football right now.
    It wasn't undeserved at all though, we weren't world beating or anything, but we were by far the more ambitious team.

sixdwarf

It wasn't undeserved at all though, we weren't world beating or anything, but we were by far the more ambitious team.
    This is true. Good coaches know we struggle to break teams down. So they sit behind the ball and look to break at us knowing we are shaky at the back. It thankfully didn't work at the death.

Rednotdead

I think Ten Hag knows he's being tossed under the bus. Keane was right and it won't stop with ETH until the whole rotten ownership that has allowed this to fester is gone.
    Changing everything in the club won’t make Ten Hag a competent manager.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    Yes it was. They scored and sat back and soaked up the pressure and looked dangerous on the break. We struggled to make any chances at all, it was the last 10mins that we started to really pen them back in their final third that we finally started to make chances.

A draw would have been fair, but wouldn't have begrudged them the win. Us winning was daylight robbery. Much needed robbery.

IRELANDUNITED

Yes it was. They scored and sat back and soaked up the pressure and looked dangerous on the break. We struggled to make any chances at all, it was the last 10mins that we started to really pen them back in their final third that we finally started to make chances.

A draw would have been fair, but wouldn't have begrudged them the win. Us winning was daylight robbery. Much needed robbery.
    Perhaps, but with our luck this season we’ve been due a break. Also our “robbery” was just good fortune, we didn’t get any favourable decisions from the official. Whereas for the most of the season we were getting terrible bad luck and serveral horrendous decisions going against us.

The Hilton

Nah that's a huge exaggeration, we had them beaten in basically every metric, they got the goal through a mistake and defended for their lives the entire second half.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Ten Hag's view of the game is utterly nonsense. He doesn't think we got away with that. They kept going the whole game," he said. "We were losing but the belief was always there. We created chances but the ball was not going in the net."
    He thinks there is a spirit. There was zero until the end. This result paper's over the cracks and he must open his eyes to that.
    McT proved Ten Hag wrong.
    We did get away with it, but almost the whole game was all United, but without great quality chances.

You don't come back for a win like that without spirit.

The Hilton

This is true. Good coaches know we struggle to break teams down. So they sit behind the ball and look to break at us knowing we are shaky at the back. It thankfully didn't work at the death.
    Yeah I agree that we struggle to break teams down, it's been an issue we've had for about a decade. I had hoped that the high pressing approach with the high turnovers would help, but the players haven't figured out how to take advantage of those yet.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
    Scout
    Nah that's a huge exaggeration, we had them beaten in basically every metric, they got the goal through a mistake and defended for their lives the entire second half.
    Nah, you're being too positive based on your defence of Ten Hag. We play like that again for 90mins and we'll drop more points. Simply nowhere near good enough.

bdspeedy

Changing everything in the club won’t make Ten Hag a competent manager.
    You know it's not the manager. We certainly won't know until we chase out the corrupt, parasitic, team destroying ownership. At the very least, they aren't competent enough to hire proper custodians of the team. Half a dozen managers hired and fired should be enough to do more than distract from the fact that they've raped and pillaged this club and haven't been punished by the fans. Bye for now, I'm sure this will trigger some delicate souls. I don't wish to offend, but we need to grow a set and sort this team from its rotten head to it's toes.

Red00012

Rashford, Onana, Fernandes not dropped. Mount on the RW? Maguire - Evans defense. Well, at least Amrabat is no longer a FB, so that's good.

Can't see anything but a loss. Luckily, I have better things to do.
    Sorry your day was ruined

Wing Attack Plan R

We should have used him instead of Wout Weghorst.

Hester_manc

I'd take Onana out of that. Yeah he made the mistake but he also made two great saves that kept it at 1-0. I'd include Bruno in the top 3 worst. He was shocking all game. I'd also put Evans in the top 3. He was great alongside Maguire.
    2 saves he had to make

The Hilton

Nah, you're being too positive based on your defence of Ten Hag. We play like that again for 90mins and we'll drop more points. Simply nowhere near good enough.
    It's not even a defence of Ten Hag, it's just a basic analysis of the game. We had way more shots, possession, territory, and general attacking intent, which resulted in better chances, a higher xG, etc. Brentford set out the same way Palace did last weekend, aiming for a point, hoping to nick a goal, which they did, and sit on it. The difference is, we actually made our chances count, eventually.

We do need to work on our ability to unpick parked busses, no doubt, teams are able to shut us out too easily at the moment. But there's a reason teams adopt that tactic, because it works, this is the same Brentford team that did the double of City last season with the same approach.

RedDevilRoshi

Never knew or seen the score until now as was out all day and the phone reception was poor.

Blimey what a conclusion but happy to have got the 3 points which is all that mattered today. Quite fitting both our goals came in injury time which late goals is something we always did under SAF. Of course football is going to be on the back of his mind right now after this recent tragic loss of his loved one but I’m sure it would have brought a smile on his face. Lady Cathy will have been proud.

Last edited:

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
    So he is being sacked after Anfield then
    The City game is like the Anfield game now. ETH has to survive till then, the he has to get a favorable result in that game. If he survives the City game he will be United coach for some foreseeable future.

croadyman

The City game is like the Anfield game now. ETH has to survive till then, the he has to get a favorable result in that game. If he survives the City game he will be United coach for some foreseeable future.
    Gonna be a huge ask because we will have to partner Varane with Maguire/Evans. We won't have Shaw or AWB back until November either

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    The only team that matters
    Not sure I’d really expect broadcasters to select United vs Forest/Palace/Brentford at Old Trafford.

The Brighton one was maybe a bit surprising, but the others not so much.
    Part of the reson is because we don't play Thursday nights

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win