Manchester United vs. Chelsea

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I don't think we were any more open today than we have been. It's just we were up against a much better team, who highlighted deficiencies we suspected could be a problem in previous games.

Chelsea have to be given some credit, they played pretty well i thought. Neither team covered themselves in glory defensively, but Chelsea gave us a good test.

Not Utd's best performance this season, but it is encouraging that we can play below our best, score 3 goals and still come out deserving winners against one of our main rivals.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There's no way any of the back four today would have played against Leeds anyway. You lot have not played your 1st team in the early rounds of the Carling cup for years now.

prateik

There's no way any of the back four today would have played against Leeds anyway. You lot have not played your 1st team in the early rounds of the Carling cup for years now.
We dont have too may defenders
Fabio wouldve been the only change.
Maybe Fryers on the bench (fergie has talked about him)

MUFCgal

We'll need to see how Jones and Smalling are, but I will be surprised if we don't play at least one of them. Maybe Fabio could go left-back, Fletcher/Valencia at right-back, and Evans with Rio/Smalling/Jones in central defence.

Who else do we have? Are we going to throw in un-tried reserve players against a Championship side who'll probably play their first eleven?

prateik

Unlikely
Rio is fit tho.
Val/Park at RB is possible.

surprised no matchday thread yet

Devil may care

As a footballing spectacle you couldn't ask for much more, it had everything, loads of drama and could have ended 5-5. I agree with Fergie that we had too many periods of sloppy possession though.

I'm pissed about the Cole tackle though, hopefully Chich will only miss a couple of weeks as Fergie said, but it was a potential leg breaker.

iAm20Legend

Forget about Leeds. Will Smalling and Jones be fit for Stoke next week? Will be really difficult not having them available for that game, particularly Smalling.

Kelvin

Forget about Leeds. Will Smalling and Jones be fit for Stoke next week? Will be really difficult not having them available for that game, particularly Smalling.
no words on Jones, think its just a minor knock.

but Smalling has a groin problem. thats why he came off

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Anyone else a bit concerned about how often we gave up the ball today?
Definitely. Rooney wasn't on his game despite my thoughts that he would romp with no one excelling at the holding role for Chelsea.

It's all smiles because we won, but as many said, the score could have been anything, as if we'd lost 3-1 people would have a big problem with this.

This team has a very new feel, so I'm just glad we came through it with the win, and it will do them good to play under that sort of defensive pressure, I'm sure they'll up their game.

But we were lucky they didn't score once from one of our turnovers in front of our box.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
9. United conceded 22 shots here, 22 at Bolton, 20 against Arsenal, 21 against West Brom and 16 against West Brom. These are surprisingly high figures (they’ve allowed more shots than any other Premier League team) – the question is whether this is because of defensive slackness, or because opponents are overly-keen to test David De Gea.
An interesting point. I think our openness and De Gea's vulnerability is to explain for it.

RonaldoVII

Only seen the highlights but Ray Wilkins didn't half have his Chelsea specs on today. Dunno why they have him commentating on Chelsea games. Might as well stick Neville next to him to even it up.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If the hallmark of champions is the capacity to win when playing badly, then the quality of runaway champions is surely the ability to demolish three of their supposed rivals in the opening month of a season by a cumulative scoreline of 14-3 without playing close to their best.
(Football365)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We haven't seen Wills & Kate 'round these here parts (as they say in Westerns), mate. Obviously, they have good taste. :D