Kick-off
Fri, 6 January 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .....................VS.........................

Date: Friday, January 06 2023
    Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

FA Cup Form Guide

Manchester United: N/A
    Everton: N/A

Previous FA Cup Meetings

Everton 1—2 Manchester United

Manchester United 0—0 Everton

Everton 0—2 Manchester United

Everton 1—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Everton

All-Time FA Cup Record

Manchester United wins: 6
    Everton wins: 5
    Draws: 1

Pre-Match Pressers

Erik ten Hag

Frank Lampard

Team News

Manchester United

Axel Tuanzebe, Donny van de Beek and Jadon Sancho ruled out. Anthony Martial and Antony doubtful.

Everton

Nathan Patterson, Andros Townsend, Michael Keane and James Garner ruled out.

Know the opposition

Everton Football Club (nicknamed The Toffees and The Blues) are a professional football club based in Liverpool, England. Everton were founded as St Domingo FC in 1878 so that members of the congregation of St Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel in Breckfield Road North, Everton could play sport year round – cricket was played in summer. The club's first game was a 1–0 victory over Everton Church Club. The club was renamed Everton in November 1879 after the local area, as people outside the congregation wished to participate. The club was a founding member of the Football League in 1888–89 and won their first League Championship title in the 1890–91 season. Everton won the FA Cup for the first time in 1906 and the League Championship again in 1914–15. The outbreak of the First World War in 1914 interrupted the football programme while Everton were champions, which was something that would again occur in 1939.

It was not until 1927 that Everton's first sustained period of success began. In 1925 the club signed Dixie Dean from Tranmere Rovers. In 1927–28, Dean set the record for top-flight league goals in a single season with 60 goals in 39 league games, which is a record that still stands. He helped Everton win their third League Championship that season. Everton's second successful era started when Harry Catterick was made manager in 1961. In 1962–63, his second season in charge, Everton won the League Championship. In 1966 the club won the FA Cup with a 3–2 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Everton again reached the final in 1968, but this time were unable to overcome West Bromwich Albion at Wembley. Two seasons later in 1969–70, Everton won the League Championship, finishing nine points clear of nearest rivals Leeds United. During this period, Everton were the first English club to achieve five consecutive years in European competitions – covering the seasons from 1961–62 to 1966–67. Howard Kendall took over as manager and guided Everton to their most successful era. Domestically, Everton won the FA Cup in 1984 and two League Championships in 1984–85 and 1986–87. In Europe, the club won its first, and so far only, European trophy by securing the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1985.

All in all, Everton have won 15 major trophies: the League Championship nine times (fourth most as of 2017–18), the FA Cup five times (ninth most) and the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once. The club have also competed in the top division for a record 114 seasons, missing the top division only four times (1930–31 and three consecutive seasons starting with 1951–52). Everton have play their homes games at Goodison Park since 1892, after moving from Anfield following a row over its rent. Their biggest rivals are neighbors Liverpool, against whom they contest the Merseryside Derby.

Referee

Darren England.

Familiar Faces

Michael Keane (2004—15) & James Garner (2009—22)

Bwuk

As strong a side as possible please. Can rotate vs Charlton in the cup.

De Gea
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro - Eriksen
    Garnacho - Bruno - Rashford
    Martial​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

------------------De Gea------------------
    Dalot--Varane--Martinez--Malacia
    ----McTominay----Fred----
    Elanga-----Fernandes-----Garnacho
    ------------------Martial------------------

Subs: Heaton, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, Casemiro, Eriksen, Rashford, ???

slored1

Heaton
    Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Malacia
    Casemiro
    Fred - Bruno
    Antony - Rashford - Garnacho

2-0 United.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    We’re going to get ‘Big Duncan’ with his small duck energy for his annual cup final at Old Trafford aren’t we? :rolleyes:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    They're garbage. Lampard is such a laughably bad coach. Old Trafford... They're gonna win aren't they?

De Gea
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Casemiro fred
    Garnacho Bruno Rashford
    Elanga​

And then midweek we can do almost a full swap. Antony if fit in obviously but if not:

Heaton, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Shaw, mctominay, Fred, eriksen, Elanga, Garnacho, Martial for that Cup game.

And then vs City all the main guys will have had a rest over the 2 cup games, and we can go fit and firing.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
    Just watching the highlights of their loss to Brighton and you'd hope we can exploit their shoddy defence. That was truly woeful defending.

Fully expect them to raise their game under a new manager now.

Todd

Play our strongest eleven. Starting to feel like we can actually compete for trophies right now.

CM

I'm not really too worried about the new manager bounce even if it happens. We've looked really strong at home in the last few games and the players look well up for it themselves. Half the battle in those types of matches is desire and we're not lacking in that department at the moment

tentan

Poor man's poster.
    Strongest team possible.

Think Ten Hag will want a trophy in his first season. So lets go for it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
    Only the FA Cup, don't care that much. Hope we rotate a bit.
    Utd haven’t won a trophy for years. I can’t understand this attitude

Even when we were winning under Ferguson I was still always delighted when Utd won a cup

Gerald G

De Gea
    Dalot--Varane--Martinez--Malacia
    Casemiro--Fred
    Antony--Bruno--Rashford
    Martial

(if Antony is not fit then start Garnacho) I'd ideally like to give Casemiro and Rashford a rest but we really don't have good depth in those positions.

saivet

Strongest team possible and rotate with a strong bench vs Charlton

RonaldoVII

Hope we don't rotate too much for this. A few looked a bit leggy last night.

De Gea
    McTominay Fred
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Rashford​

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Heaton

Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia

Fred McTominay

Bruno

Elanga Rashford Garnacho

Probably the weakest we could reasonably go for this. Would rather field a stronger team v Charlton than in this one in all honesty.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
    Staff
    Supports
    Everton
    We need a new man in, not for this game but the one after. Southampton is a huge game at the bottom of the table and getting a new person in to implement his ideas as early as possible before that is vital I think.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    FA Cup is the lowest importance for me, I'd focus PL > Europa > League Cup > FA Cup and based off that I think a few players need a rest such as Shaw, Casemiro, Eriksen & Bruno unfortunately but they can rest at Charlton game, I'd go with something like:

DDG
    Casemiro Fred
    Rashford Bruno Garnacho
    Martial

JustKatie

Should be a comfortable win if we don't heavily rotate and the manager doesn't seem to do that often.
    Could be an interim manager for them so who knows if they'll play out of their skin.
    Still, it's FA cup, nice to win and all

Relfy

I'd expect Everton to rest a few themselves - they've huge games against Saints and West Ham around the corner which are far more important to their entire future instead of this.

I think it gives us a chance to field a strong side, but also to rotate a few in without too many changes. We can rest a few here and the others against Charlton.

I fully expect us to win. Nothing fancy, but a professional job - 3-0.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Expecting quite close to full strength here, but maybe a few mixes to compensate for changes against Charlton. Main one I can see is perhaps Erisken doesn't start here and we go with Fred, Casemiro and Bruno. Then we bring in McTominay and Eriksen against Charlton as Bruno is suspended and Casemiro can be rested for City.

Van de Beek's injury doesn't look good which is unfortunate, which is why I think the above is a possibility. Hopefully Antony is back to get some game time before City as well.

de Gea
    Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Elanga Bruno Rashford
    Martial​

Hopefully be in a position to sub on Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Malacia, Garnacho etc who will then all start against Charlton on Tuesday.

Everton look gash but I'm sure they'll give us a game. If Lampard isn't sacked before this match, I don't really see what going out of the FA Cup will change... Maybe he'll even make a lot of changes to try and save his bacon as their next two PL games are huge.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    No movement on Lampard yet, hopefully in charge for this one.

They will raise their game but should be a comfortable win. Start strong and bring players off if we get a good lead.

binary bot
    I’d rest Casemiro and Varane. Arsenal and City are potentially season defining fixtures and our chances increase massively with those two

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
    I’d rest Casemiro and Varane. Arsenal and City are potentially season defining fixtures and our chances increase massively with those two
    Managers Dilemma isn't it.

I'd expect at least one of them to play.

Demon Barber

Antony was injured (apparently) for the Bournemouth game, and Martial went straight down the tunnel when subbed, so I doubt either will feature. In which case ..

DDG

Dalot
    Lindelof
    Martinez
    Malacia

Casemiro
    Fred
    Bruno

Garnacho
    Rashford
    Elanga

December_16

Antony was injured (apparently) for the Bournemouth game, and Martial went straight down the tunnel when subbed, so I doubt either will feature. In which case ..

DDG

Dalot
    Lindelof
    Martinez
    Malacia

Casemiro
    Fred
    Bruno

Garnacho
    Rashford
    Elanga
    Agreed with this, maybe Varane in for Lindelof since he may be rested against Charlton again. Will need him for both games against City and Arsenal.

I hope Sancho will be involved in some capacity.

Demon Barber

Agreed with this, maybe Varane in for Lindelof since he may be rested against Charlton again. Will need him for both games against City and Arsenal.

I hope Sancho will be involved in some capacity.
    It would be good to see Sancho at some point over the next few games, but as far as I'm aware he is not yet training with the rest of the squad, so it is highly unlikely.

Eriksen, Shaw and Varane deserve a bit of a break. Bruno to be rested v Charlton, with Eriksen at No.10. Neither of these games should pose any real problems. It would be good to see a couple of the youngsters getting minutes - Iqbal, Mainoo

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 94% of 247 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 215 ratings.

Score Predictions