Kick-off
Tue, 24 October 2023 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

USREDEVIL

I like Eriksen but he has no business starting IMO. I bet this team will be young and energetic.

Onana (because we have to)
    Dalot Varane Maguirey Regulator
    Mejbri Amrabat
    Bruno
    Antony Hojlund Rashford

PS i actually had a nightmare we lost this game.

Red Royal

As soon as we went down to ten we dropped our heads as always. City or Liverpool still win from that position. Is going down to ten is basically a given that we’ll lose.
    It shouldn't l, you are absolutely right, it was a 77th minute sending off. In hindsight we should have settled for a draw, and were lucky the penalty wasn't converted.
    My point was though (trying to make myself positive for tonight more than anything else) that it wasn't an absolute stinker and we have a good chance tonight.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    POTY at Chelsea, one of their own, and a CL title that he didn't win on his own. Just like when David May, Wes Brown, or Djimi Traore won one.
    Didn't know all these players made player of the year too

crossy1686

career ending
    Didn't know all these players made player of the year too
    They didn't but Mount with his whopping 2 goals and 1 assist in the CL that year was still having his position questioned by Chelsea fans leading into the second leg of the CL semi against Madrid. He was even accused of only being in the side because he was Lampard's favourite. This notion that he was brilliant and deserved that award for stellar performances is ill-informed.

Mason Mount was frequently accused of being a 'teacher's pet' under Frank Lampard, and then again in an England shirt under Gareth Southgate. But, having earned similar admiration from Thomas Tuchel, has the penny finally dropped for his doubters? It isn't favouritism, it's talent...
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...league-semi-final-second-leg-with-real-madrid

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    They didn't but Mount with his whopping 2 goals and 1 assist in the CL that year was still having his position questioned by Chelsea fans leading into the second leg of the CL semi against Madrid. He was even accused of only being in the side because he was Lampard's favourite. This notion that he was brilliant and deserved that award for stellar performances is ill-informed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...league-semi-final-second-leg-with-real-madrid
    Did you read the article you posted? The title insinuates his talent was the reason he was picked by various managers.

Also concluding his worth based on goals and assists alone is so lazy. He may not have been the best player in the Chelsea XI but he was certainly no way near one of the weakest. He was seen as a big asset in that campaign and the next one.

crossy1686

career ending
    Did you read the article you posted? The title insinuates his talent was the reason he was picked by various managers.

Also concluding his worth based on goals and assists alone is so lazy. He may not have been the best player in the Chelsea XI but he was certainly no way near one of the weakest. He was seen as a big asset in that campaign and the next one.
    Yes, there's various pieces like this on Mount where the writer tries to explain what Mount actually does, the Athletic have a video titled "Why exactly does Mason Mount do?". They're all various forms of media that try to justify his position as a starter in teams because it's not obvious to anyone without elite coaching badges apparently.

It would be lazy if he was a DM or a RB, but he's a ACM playing in a team that doesn't score goals and he doesn't bring goals or assists to the team, so what's the point in having a player that does nothing play in such a dangerous area of the field?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    POTY at Chelsea, one of their own, and a CL title that he didn't win on his own. Just like when David May, Wes Brown, or Djimi Traore won one.
    I don't remember any of them being the stand out player of the campaign though

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    That anyone can win one when you're part of a squad.
    You struggled the read the initial argument properly. He was also player of the year back to back.

Its one thing being a squad player and another being integral to a team over the course of the season. Twice. Valued highly under every manager hes played under too.

laughtersassassin

I'm excited for this game. Don't ask me why all things considered but I am non the less.

Obviously we will likely have to win all our pretty much all remaining games in the CL group but that won't happen.

For now though I'd take a game where we play well and score 3 or 4 which should be the aim tonight

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Yes, there's various pieces like this on Mount where the writer tries to explain what Mount actually does, the Athletic have a video titled "Why exactly does Mason Mount do?". They're all various forms of media that try to justify his position as a starter in teams because it's not obvious to anyone without elite coaching badges apparently.

It would be lazy if he was a DM or a RB, but he's a ACM playing in a team that doesn't score goals and he doesn't bring goals or assists to the team, so what's the point in having a player that does nothing play in such a dangerous area of the field?
    It feels like you need to be sat down and explained how value added is not solely measured in goals and assists. But there's honestly no point.

You posted an article that debunked your own point in your own post.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    And Mount was? Chelsea fans were asking why he was a regular starter going into the semi final against Madrid. Doesn't sound stand out to me.
    He won POTY twice FFS - anyway moving on.

I don't even think he's that good but this is like pulling teeth

crossy1686

career ending
    It feels like you need to be sat down and explained how value added is not solely measured in goals and assists. But there's honestly no point.

You posted an article that debunked your own point in your own post.
    At some point, someone on the pitch needs to score goals and get assists. Your best players play at the top end of the pitch because they do that better than the players that play at the other end of the pitch. There's no point in putting players in advanced positions who don't do any of that but 'add value'. Where are the goals going to come from? The CB's? Now that I'd love to see.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    And Mount was? Chelsea fans were asking why he was a regular starter going into the semi final against Madrid. Doesn't sound stand out to me.
    Yes he was one of their better performers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    At some point, someone on the pitch needs to score goals and get assists. Your best players play at the top end of the pitch because they do that better than the players that play at the other end of the pitch. There's no point in putting players in advanced positions who don't do any of that but 'add value'. Where are the goals going to come from? The CB's? Now that I'd love to see.
    True as that may be, as long as they are adding value in other facets (smart movements, interconnecting play, press resistance, distance covered off the ball, hockey assists etc), then the player is still a big asset.

crossy1686

career ending
    True as that may be, as long as they are adding value in other facets (smart movements, interconnecting play, press resistance, distance covered off the ball, hockey assists etc), then the player is still a big asset.
    I'm not disputing any of that mate, but he needs to start putting up some numbers soon because we've got a full forward line that do nothing but 'add value' and little else.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    I'm not disputing any of that mate, but he needs to start putting up some numbers soon because we've got a full forward line that do nothing but 'add value' and little else.
    They don't though. Bruno and Rashford are purely number players. They keep trying to push for risky passes / dribbles or shots and don't actually add the big value Mount adds in the general game. That's why when the end product dries up, it shows massively for them.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
    I'm slightly bewildered by your whole line if reasoning in the last number of posts, crossy. How Mount's victorious Champion's league campaign, 2 time POTY, key contributions in the run including the winner in the semi against Madrid and an assist in the final, Tuchel explicitly stating how key he was to their success, relates to David May I don't know. Just say he's shit. Plenty in here would agree. I'm willing to see him play a few more actual games before I give up on him.

crossy1686

career ending
    I'm slightly bewildered by your whole line if reasoning in the last number of posts, crossy. How Mount's victorious Champion's league campaign, 2 time POTY, key contributions in the run including the winner in the semi against Madrid and an assist in the final, Tuchel explicitly stating how key he was to their success, relates to David May I don't know. Just say he's shit. Plenty in here would agree. I'm willing to see him play a few more actual games before I give up on him.
    I don't rate him mate and haven't done at any point for England or Chelsea, and saying he won POTY and a CL doesn't make him good all of a sudden.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    I don't rate him mate and haven't done at any point for England or Chelsea, and saying he won POTY and a CL doesn't make him good all of a sudden.
    :lol:

High standards for this fella. A champions league? Chelsea's best player? You'll have to do better than that lad.

crossy1686

career ending
    :lol:

High standards for this fella. A champions league? Chelsea's best player? You'll have to do better than that lad.
    It's a sad indictment of where we're at if you're easily swayed by some things he won before joining Manchester United, despite doing very little to be worthy of the accolades.

11 goals and 10 assists was enough which shows you how bad that team actually were.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
    He didn't. He said he won it twice.
    How many times did Dave win it for us? Should we have given him a lifetime contract?

Some of you are so set on defending dumb takes, you cannot see the forest for the trees.

Oldyella

The Mount discourse is fecking mind numbing. Why his detractors need to pollute every thread with their feelings about him is baffling to me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    You’re unable to see the difference in contribution between Mount and the rest you mentioned? That’s on you.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    How many times did Dave win it for us? Should we have given him a lifetime contract?

Some of you are so set on defending dumb takes, you cannot see the forest for the trees.
    What on gods green earth has that got to do with anything.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
    What on gods green earth has that got to do with anything.
    Supposedly, we should rate Mount because he was Chelsea player of the year twice. That statement is a hyperbole to point out how dumb that notion is.

Don't get me wrong, I'd play him ahead of Bruno at the moment but he's been underwhelming.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Andre Onana image Andre Onana 57% of 311 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 279 ratings.

Score Predictions