Kick-off
Tue, 24 November 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Footy van de Geek

Has anything been said about him? It’s so weird, especially following the signing of Telles that he should now be back up right back which will be more natural for him as a right footer.
    Greenwood and Williams were rumoured to have been partying at the start of the season.

When Greenwood was dropped earlier in the season, Ole denied the media reports by saying why would I include Williams in my match squad but not Greenwood.

Yet he has continued to not select him and hasn't subbed him on either when he did make the bench.

He was linked with a late loan move to Southampton near deadline day.

Footy van de Geek

And I don’t think Bruno is a classic #10 either, he occupies the #10 positions in an attacking sense but he offers great defensive work too. Don’t want to get into it but there are many clips where he’s hounding opposition whilst Pogba is walking.

Playing Bruno as #10 essentially means we trust him to do what he needs to create chances with the other players behind him anchoring and defending.
    Bruno's work rate is exactly why a 4-3-3 can work. vdB also works hard.

Ole persists with 4-2-3-1.

Yagami

Good post resistant
    My thoughts as well, but we should have enough to win...hopefully!
    Yeah, hopefully. In the league I think we'd be in trouble but, again, hopefully it works here!

Still, as shown in our previous game against them, they won't be pushovers.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Very brave selection from Ole. The weaknesses in our team have not suddenly disappeared. Our centre backs are slow and vulnerable to the counter, something we know Basaksehir can play. Taking the screen away from the centre backs, trusting Fred and Van de Beek to cover, its a gamble. On the ball we should be better but off it...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we don't go down to a sucker punch.

Cloud7

Good to see VDB getting a start. Hard to argue with this team for a must win match. Glad the likes of Mata and James are not starting.

Cloud7

Very brave selection from Ole. The weaknesses in our team have not suddenly disappeared. Our centre backs are slow and vulnerable to the counter, something we know Basaksehir can play. Taking the screen away from the centre backs, trusting Fred and Van de Beek to cover, its a gamble. On the ball we should be better but off it...I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that we don't go down to a sucker punch.
    We have to win this match though, with games to PSG and RBL still to come. We can't really afford to not win here. VDB/Fred is likely to give us more going forward than McFred.

TommiHelm

Love the line up. As far as a 4231 goes this is basically exactly what I'd want against a team we should beat. Finally Donny and Fred. Finally an actual target man striker. Finally Martial gets to play from the wing and a bit deeper. I think he's gonna shine. And both Rash and Martial (and the rest) are gonna love the target Cavani makes and the space he'll create.

This is gonna an easy win. 5-0. :angel:

No white text, but I'm sure I'm gonna regret that. :lol:

We have to win this match though, with games to PSG and RBL still to come. We can't really afford to not win here. VDB/Fred is likely to give us more going forward than McFred.
    I hear what you are saying but I think going solid and then bringing on game changers is a better way to deal with our weaknesses of this squad. If we can keep it tight, with the attacking talent we have to bring on, you always feel we might be able to nick it. When we start open I always worry about a lapse in concentration. Van de Beek needs to have a monster of a game.

Cloud7

I hear what you are saying but I think going solid and then bringing on game changers is a better way to deal with our weaknesses of this squad. If we can keep it tight, with the attacking talent we have to bring on, you always feel we might be able to nick it. When we start open I always worry about a lapse in concentration. Van de Beek needs to have a monster of a game.
    I hear you as well, but I feel the opposite. Starting strong is better for me. There's never any guarantee of getting back in the ascendancy of the match by bringing players on. Added to that, at the end of the day, this is Manchester United at home against Istanbul Basaksehir. You simply cannot set up to contain in a match like this. Our squad is a quality squad. We have more than enough to win this. There isn't a single player on that team that makes it into our team.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    The Caf likes the formation, Scholes is on BT, it can only mean one thing: United are not winning!

Cloud7

Still can't get over the fact that Skrtl had that shaved head for all those years....by choice.....

I hear you as well, but I feel the opposite. Starting strong is better for me. There's never any guarantee of getting back in the ascendancy of the match by bringing players on. Added to that, at the end of the day, this is Manchester United at home against Istanbul Basaksehir. You simply cannot set up to contain in a match like this. Our squad is a quality squad. We have more than enough to win this. There isn't a single player on that team that makes it into our team.
    I wouldn't mind having Rafa as an attacking right back on a night like this.

I take your general point. Lets just hope the lads get it done.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
    Scout
    Love the line up. As far as a 4231 goes this is basically exactly what I'd want against a team we should beat. Finally Donny and Fred. Finally an actual target man striker. Finally Martial gets to play from the wing and a bit deeper. I think he's gonna shine. And both Rash and Martial (and the rest) are gonna love the target Cavani makes and the space he'll create.

This is gonna an easy win. 5-0. :angel:

No white text, but I'm sure I'm gonna regret that. :lol:
    Yeah I like the ambition here, there's a few things I'm particularly interested in seeing.

Feel free to quote this when the game starts and we're fecking wretched.

Still can't get over the fact that Skrtl had that shaved head for all those years....by choice.....
    He was playing in Liverpool. I guess he was trying to blend in. :p

Krits

Pretty surprised with that line-up. But in a good way. Pretty bold from Ole, that's the strongest 11 (form wise) I can think of right now. VdB wouldn't really be an 'on form' player. But he offers more attacking wise than McT.

fps

Rafael couldn't really hold down a spot at Lyon, so it's not like he left United and showed LvG wrong.
    That’s true. God LVG’s time was awful though.

Anyway, this is a lineup we’ve wanted to see for a while, I’m excited!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Demba Bar scored a bullshit penalty against us at OT 9 years ago.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    Put under pressure for a good 60 seconds, we finally get a few passes together, and Maguire kicks it out of play. Baffling.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    Maguire gives the ball away for the second time in 3 minutes, not a good start from him. Brilliant by Marcus.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Istanbul Basaksehir win
  • Draw