Rafael---------Evans-------Vidic-------O'Shea
Valencia------Fletcher-----Scholes-------Nani
-------------Berbatov------Owen------------

Score: Manchester United 2 - 0 Newcastle United

Goals: Owen, Valencia

Player to watch: Nani

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
Rafael - Vidic - Evans - O'Shea

surely?
Think so. I don't see Evra being involved.

Amos, Neville, De Laet, Fabio and Cleverley are playing for the reserves tonight.

Ferdinand, Anderson, Hargreaves and Obertan are out injured.

So:

VDS

Rafael
Vidic
Evans
O'Shea

Valencia
Fletcher
Scholes
Nani

Berbatov

Rooney

Subs: PIG, Brown, Smalling, Carrick, Giggs, Hernandez, Owen

Park, Gibson and Macheda miss out.

cca3steve

ABSENCES & CONSIDERATIONS
1. Hargreaves, Ferdinand and Anderson out for Man Utd, Obertan you can only assume is out also
2. Ritchie De Laet and Paul Pogba are apparently suspended for this :confused:
TheFA.com - Suspension Lists
3. Evra is getting his extended rest and Gary Neville lacks match fitness apparently
4. Long haul flights for Hernandez (in Mexico), Rafael (in the USA) and Park (in Korea), the extra day will make a massive difference, but Park I believe is unlikely to be involved as his friendly was later and he probably has to travel more.
5. Vidic, O'Shea, Park, Evans, Gibson, Fletcher, Rooney and Hernandez played, Brown and Rafael called up.
ritchie is bannedfor 3 games as he was sent off in reserve game 26/4/10 he headbutted someone, pogba is banned from non first team football

Crustanoid

We've got to get ourselves back in this title race... I'm getting worried now

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Anybody here from Cambridge? I kinda want to watch this game in a pub with a fellow United supporter. I m in Pembroke College, Univ. Of Cambridge. PM me if you are close by.

Commadus

I just hope we can get by without any injuries as Newcastle have Smith, Barton and Nolan.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im predicting:

---------------------VDS---------------------
Rafael --- Evans ---------- Vidic ------ O'Shea
Valencia ---- Fletcher --- Scholes ----- Nani
-------------Rooney ---------------------
---------------------Hernandez---------------

4-0
Hernandez, Rooney, Nani x2

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is an injury doubt for opener against Newcastle United - report - Goal.com
Wayne Rooney is struggling to recover from a hamstring strain and could miss Manchester United’s Premier League opener against Newcastle United on Monday.

The United hitman was injured during England’s 2-1 international friendly victory over Hungary on Wednesday.

While Rooney has not been ruled out of the match against the Magpies, the 24-year-old has been receiving treatment since returning from international duty and is now an injury doubt for United’s opener, according to The Mirror.

Rooney was awarded both The Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year and PFA player of the Year after scoring 34 times in 44 matches for United last term.

However, the England international has not found the net since hurting his ankle in United’s 2-1 Champions League quarter-final first leg against Bayern Munich on March 30.

The star striker struggled with the injury for the remainder of the season, and was unable to make a positive impact at the World Cup this summer, failing to score in England’s four matches in South Africa.
Report from yesterday, although to be fair it is goal.com.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
We have a plethora of options available on the striker front, so Rooney missing out on a couple of games shouldnt hamper us much in anyway.

I'd be tempted to start Chicharito with berba in case Rooney doesnt make it even though Chicha has had a long international away trip. But his link up with berba looks ever so promising.

Viper KGB

With Rooney's record against Newcastle I'd want him to start and maybe bring Hernandez on if he starts to tire. More mins under his belt will only be good for getting him back on track.

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
We have a plethora of options available on the striker front, so Rooney missing out on a couple of games shouldnt hamper us much in anyway.

I'd be tempted to start Chicharito with berba in case Rooney doesnt make it even though Chicha has had a long international away trip. But his link up with berba looks ever so promising.
Would be a really great debut for the lad at OT but if Rooney does not start, I expect to see Owen and Berba upfront. Reasons being is because of Hernandez' long trip back and also, Owen is in good shape as well as he has a great record vs. Newcastle.

With Rooney's record against Newcastle I'd want him to start and maybe bring Hernandez on if he starts to tire. More mins under his belt will only be good for getting him back on track.
True, but if there is even a slight risk that this injury could be aggravated, I don't expect SAF to play him. Anyway, I don't recall any of the articles that I have read, mention exactly where the injury is. Is it a recurrence of his previous season injury or not?

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Cheers, I also checked here as well as on eurosport.com. Basically, nothing new. SAF didn't say anything specific in his press conference yesterday as well. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hope he is fit and ready to play.
For the first time in years I'm not as worried for us without Rooney. We should be able to do Newcastle, but it is the first game of the season and a draw wouldn't surprise me.

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
For the first time in years I'm not as worried for us without Rooney. We should be able to do Newcastle, but it is the first game of the season and a draw wouldn't surprise me.
I have a good feeling about this one. Even without him, plenty of options and some players that will be out to prove themselves in front of a home crowd in the first match of the season.

3-1 United, Berba one of the scorers

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
Would be a really great debut for the lad at OT but if Rooney does not start, I expect to see Owen and Berba upfront. Reasons being is because of Hernandez' long trip back and also, Owen is in good shape as well as he has a great record vs. Newcastle.
I see that happening too. Besides Fergie wouldnt like to put too much pressure on Hernandez this early on. Either way, I'm not fretting much on the rooney injury. We're well covered, least for the likes of Toon. :D

RonaldoVII

I'm delighted that the sun is shinning and hopefully it will remain until the game. It just doesn't feel like the start of the season with a night game but a bit of sun might help.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I'm delighted that the sun is shinning and hopefully it will remain until the game. It just doesn't feel like the start of the season with a night game but a bit of sun might help.
Yeah, what the feck is that about, Monday night football should be reserved for the Boltons, Birminghams of this world.

Viper KGB

True, but if there is even a slight risk that this injury could be aggravated, I don't expect SAF to play him. Anyway, I don't recall any of the articles that I have read, mention exactly where the injury is. Is it a recurrence of his previous season injury or not?
I didn't think he had an injury, I taught he was tired after the WC.

I still think we will see him play

Berlinknives

Evra is there aswell

edit......... Evra didnt start in Dublin tonight dont think hes on the bench either
It'll still probably mean O'Shea at leftback, I just wonder if Sir Alex will opt to play Wes Brown in this game, since he wasn't involved in the Community Sheild allow Rafael or Evans some time to be fresh for Fulham.

Kelvin

we better win this, because our next 2 away game are all potential feck-up, fulham and everton away :nervous:

Commadus

I hate Monday Night Football. I have a league game today which I so badly want to miss but I can't.

Monday Night Football is an irrelevance - everyone has played and now oops we forgot you still have a game to play - jsut play MOnday.

Plan M

I'm not worried about Everton and Fulham away this season - we owe them both a beating.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I love Monday Night Football. Means I can watch a league match without having to book time off with the wife as the kids will both be in bed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love Monday Night Football. Means I can watch a league match without having to book time off with the wife as the kids will both be in bed.
Same here. That precious 7pm 'til bed time-slot is my last remaining window of me-time. The more football that takes place in those hours the better.

Mind you, wife and child away at the in-laws all week, so this week I will mainly be wallowing naked in my own filth from the moment I get home until the moment I leave for work the next morning.

It's the simple things...

Devilton

I just hope Owen doesn't start.

I'll be happy with a Berba-Ronney lineup with Hernandez coming on in the second half to give the toon defence fits.

Kinky Melinky

Watching this tonight in some pub near London Bridge with an out and out geordie ! Will probably get messy