Wed, 15 May 2024 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Eth has no excuses with this game. Newcastle have as many injuries as we have and if we get outplayed again like the league cup he needs gone after the final.
    We will get outplayed.
    We get outplayed in virtually every game we play.
    Teams in the relegation zone could play us and they'll likely outplay us.
    It is quite possible that we won't win another game this season.
    How did we drop to this mediocre level?

Yagami

Good post resistant
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Amad play.

Nori-

Wouldn't mind a loss or a draw on this occasion, let them have bottom tier European football.

I'd rather we focused on getting our house in order next season, instead of taking Ryan Air flights to random Romanian cities on a Thursday night.

Ollie Derbyshire

Wouldn't mind a loss or a draw on this occasion, let them have bottom tier European football.

I'd rather we focused on getting our house in order next season rather taking Ryan Air flights to random Romanian cities on a Thursday night.
    Agreed I’d rather miss out on Europe altogether which I think is nailed on anyway.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

I'd rather we focused on getting our house in order next season, instead of taking Ryan Air flights to random Romanian cities on a Thursday night.
    Agreed. Playing in countries miles away will do us no favours. Especially if it’s a new manager… giving him full weeks to prepare for games will help, especially if it’s a manager new to the league which is unlikely but you never know.

Wrecking ralf

Game doesn’t really matter anymore. Give Amass a start, keep pretty much the same team as Arsenal. Kambwala in for Casemiro who can do one. Only other change I’d consider is Wheatley starting for Hojlund but can’t see that happening. DO NOT rush Martinez back. Maybe bring him on for 15-20 to get him some action before the final.
    Onana​

Dalot Kambwala Evans Amass
    Mainoo Amarabat​
    Bruno​
    Amad Hojlund Garnacho​

Bertie Wooster

Last chance saloon in terms of the European spots. A win (yeah, right :lol:) here and we're back in the mix ahead of the final day.

Anything less, and it just confirms what's been likely some time with our form and mounting injuries combined with Chelsea's improvement.

It's a tough balance as regards getting some of our injured players back ahead of the Cup Final. Some have been missing a while and could really do with a bit of match sharpness rather than just being thrown in straight away v City. On the other hand, such is our luck this season, any that we pick will almost certainly pull up with an injury again and miss the final anyway.

I guess it doesn't really matter - couldn't see anything but 5 defeats prior to the Palace game. And 2 defeats later, still can't see anything but 3 more defeats to come. :(

Fallon d'Floor

Last chance saloon in terms of the European spots. A win (yeah, right :lol:) here and we're back in the mix ahead of the final day.

Anything less, and it just confirms what's been likely some time with our form and mounting injuries combined with Chelsea's improvement.

It's a tough balance as regards getting some of our injured players back ahead of the Cup Final. Some have been missing a while and could really do with a bit of match sharpness rather than just being thrown in straight away v City. On the other hand, such is our luck this season, any that we pick will almost certainly pull up with an injury again and miss the final anyway.

I guess it doesn't really matter - couldn't see anything but 5 defeats prior to the Palace game. And 2 defeats later, still can't see anything but 3 more defeats to come. :(
    Newcastle and Chelsea just need to win 1 each from their remaining 2 games to finish ahead of us. Due to GD.

7th is probably the best we're getting from here.

Telsim

Some context to this game, what with Ashworth and all. Newcastle won't be as conservative as Arsenal, and they will be up for this. End to end stuff. At least this will leave them open for United to score. Maybe. But the thought of Isak against that backline is enough to fill me with dread. A close game, but another loss nonetheless. Just no Martinez, please. Save him for the final, whatever good that will do.

sepulturite

Newcastle and Chelsea just need to win 1 each from their remaining 2 games to finish ahead of us. Due to GD.

7th is probably the best we're getting from here.
    And I really hope we don't get 7th, because that's the conference league. Would rather finish 8th and no European football at all than end up in that joke of a competition.

Bertie Wooster

And I really hope we don't get 7th, because that's the conference league. Would rather finish 8th and no European football at all than end up in that joke of a competition.
    Really disagree with that kind of attitude. I just don't get the idea of turning your nose up at any of the 3 European trophies, or any of the 3 domestic ones.

We've had three managers in our entire history that's won the top flight or the EC/CL. Any other manager has won nothing, or trophies like the FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League. We're miles off being a team capable of winning the 'main' two trophies under any manager - and most seasons nowadays end up trophyless. So I'd be delighted if we win any of the competitions next season, whether that's a domestic cup or the EL/ECL.

The only argument I can understand for a season without Europe is the whole thing about a rebuild and working on a style of play, etc. But the arrogant 'that competition is too small for us' attitude I just don't get. Not least because there's absolutely no guarantee we'd even win it if we qualify for it - and as it stands we probably won't even finish high enough to qualify for it. Yet we're still too good for it, apparently.

sepulturite

Really disagree with that kind of attitude. I just don't get the idea of turning your nose up at any of the 3 European trophies, or any of the 3 domestic ones.

We've had three managers in our entire history that's won the top flight or the EC/CL. Any other manager has won nothing, or trophies like the FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League. We're miles off being a team capable of winning the 'main' two trophies under any manager - and most seasons nowadays end up trophyless. So I'd be delighted if we win any of the competitions next season, whether that's a domestic cup or the EL/ECL.

The only argument I can understand for a season without Europe is the whole thing about a rebuild and working on a style of play, etc. But the arrogant 'that competition is too small for us' attitude I just don't get. Not least because there's absolutely no guarantee we'd even win it if we qualify for it - and as it stands we probably won't even finish high enough to qualify for it. Yet we're still too good for it, apparently.
    Don't agree at all. The Europa league I'd be ok with, but the conference league? No way. I'd rather we got our house in order next season than worrying about playing in that low tier competition.

Bertie Wooster

Don't agree at all. The Europa league I'd be ok with, but the conference league? No way. I'd rather we got our house in order next season than worrying about playing in that low tier competition.
    I'd rather us be in any of the European competitions than none at all.

Though, as I said, I'm fine with the 'I'd rather us get our house in order next season' argument. That's valid, as we are in a bad shape and if people think that one season without Europe will help us come back stronger then that's fair.

But I don't go with the dismissive 'low tier / joke of a competition' attitude. That kind of arrogance might be fair enough for teams regularly winning major trophies or competing in later stages of the CL. But where we're currently at, we shouldn't be turning up our noses at the chance of winning any of the European or domestic trophies. We need to build a winning culture, and I doubt that's going to start with the PL or CL. We need to win some of the other competitions first, and develop a winning culture around the place again, before we hope to be back competing for the biggest titles.

George The Best

Game doesn’t really matter anymore. Give Amass a start, keep pretty much the same team as Arsenal. Kambwala in for Casemiro who can do one. Only other change I’d consider is Wheatley starting for Hojlund but can’t see that happening. DO NOT rush Martinez back. Maybe bring him on for 15-20 to get him some action before the final.
    Onana​

Dalot Kambwala Evans Amass
    Mainoo Amarabat​
    Bruno​
    Amad Hojlund Garnacho​
    Amass and Wheatley playing tonight in the U18’s National Final at Chelsea. Wheatley has scored for Utd.

DJ_21

I would assume he needs some match fitness if he’s going to start the final.
    Perhaps bring him on for the last half hour on Sunday in the last game. I just know if he takes part tomoz he’ll get injured again.

Bertie Wooster

I wouldn’t even bother playing him until the Fa cup final. Let him get fit and fresh for that game.
    But he won't be 'fresh' in terms of match fitness and sharpness if he hasn't played any minutes for months.

It's a tricky one, as the way our seasons gone he's likely to pick up an injury if he does play, but I think he needs to get some minutes under his belt in at least one of the two remaining league games - even from the bench - if he's to start the cup final.

DJ_21

But he won't be 'fresh' in terms of match fitness and sharpness if he hasn't played any minutes for months.

It's a tricky one, as the way our seasons gone he's likely to pick up an injury if he does play, but I think he needs to get some minutes under his belt in at least one of the two remaining league games - even from the bench - if he's to start the cup final.
    Maybe bring him on at HT or for the last half hour on Sunday.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
    Scout
    Perhaps bring him on for the last half hour on Sunday in the last game. I just know if he takes part tomoz he’ll get injured again.
    If that happens, so be it. We saw how rusty he was when he came back the last time. I would definitely not start him tomorrow, but perhaps give him half an hour or so. An hour on Sunday.

Bertie Wooster

If that happens, so be it. We saw how rusty he was when he came back the last time. I would definitely not start him tomorrow, but perhaps give him half an hour or so. An hour on Sunday.
    Yeah, I think we've got to do something like that if the plan is to start him v City. I can't see how he can just be thrown in for the first time in ages against City in a cup final.

But then we can't afford to risk him for long in the league games in case he breaks down again. So, yeah, either a couple of sub appearances; or a sub then a starter for 45-60 mins v Brighton is about the most we can risk him while also getting him some game time under his belt.

Gopher Brown

You forget that these inadequate players of ours were only good enough to qualify for the Conference league. Well, you make your bed, you lie in it. Off to Kazakhstan with you!

LordSpud

Honestly I wouldn't play Licha til next (pre-) season now. At a push the FA Cup Final. I just don't trust the medical team who have given him the go ahead. They've got it wrong all season.

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    I wouldn’t play Martinez in this game. Maybe give him 30 mins at the end. The points don’t matter. The final and pre-season does.

The players are going to do a lap of appreciation at the end of the game, I am pretty convinced they will applaud and cheer ETH and crew. If that happens all I can do is fecking laugh. Can you imagine the fans of any elite club applauding a team and manager as fecking spineless and clueless as this lot. Their reward is the massive remuneration and support they’ve enjoyed throughout the season, so I sorely hope the fans absolutely give them what for and let them know that this season has been utterly disgraceful.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    I don’t think I can stomach Evans at the back again. He gives his all but it’s time he called it a day. Great servant for the club.

Redivy

I would like to see Amass rewarded for his performance in the U18s final by coming on for a stint at the backend of this game.

Telsim

Didn't realise it's actually his last game in front of the home crowd. I don't know why I thought Brighton was at Old Trafford as well. So, the last dance, as it were. I would have said maybe this team could deliver something for the occasion, but I severely doubt that.

Oh well. Godspeed, hage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 54% of 201 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 187 ratings.