Manchester United vs Wrexham (Wed 26th July, 03:30 UK time)

evil_geko

Seeing what's been posted here you could probably have found out we were playing kids. But who does that? Who searches for CFOs statements when buying tickets?

The game was advertised as Manchester United vs Wrexham. It should've been advertised as Manchester United Academy vs Wrexham. It's tricky advertising to say the least.

Sure from a legal point of view they can surely defend themselves but I'm sure they weren't bothered to properly inform the fans. Just do the bare minimum to not be in trouble and let the fans take the blame for "not doing enough research". I'm certain if advertised as what it truly was, an academy match, it would had been a disaster not even 25% would've attended.

When Madrid game was announced I thought we were playing squad players not the kids, before that I had no idea. As I said I about to fly to San Diego to see them without knowing this was an academy match, lucky I couldn't made it at the end and I'm a fan interested enough on the team to be on a forum and spend time talking about the team.
You don't have to search through anything, if you are a fan of a club, you are informed of these things, it was in many articles, news etc, not just that one statement. Come on, people acting like it was literally hidden info ffs.

SAFMUTD

You don't have to search through anything, if you are a fan of a club, you are informed of these things, it was in many articles, news etc, not just that one statement. Come on, people acting like it was literally hidden info ffs.
Well in saying I'm an interested fan enough to be on a forum and I didn't knew. Now imagine the average fan.

Like I said, surely there was information available within research, but let's not fool ourselves the club knew what they were doing. If it was so obvious how can many fans feel the same? The club knows they did just enough so they don't get in trouble but never cared to properly inform fans. Why? Because they knew it would've been a total failure.

Out of curiosity how many people that attended the game yesterday do you think was aware of it being an academy match? I doubt half of them were and I'm reaching here.

bosskeano

You want to watch some poor sod getting his lung punctured? How cold hearted are you?
I read it's kidney related but your point stands.
if it's just a punctured lung that will be 4-6 weeks...if he's lacerated his kidney, which is highly likely, that's 8 weeks minimum.

speaking from my own personal experience having had a similar collision with a keeper when i was younger where i broke 3 ribs, punctured a lung and lacerated my kidney. Was quite painful to walk for the the first couple of weeks and they made it very clear to walk slowly and no sort of bumping into anything b/c until the ribs healed, the bone edge of the rib could still do damage to the kidney.

If he has any of that, he won't be flying back to Wrexham anytime soon as there is no chance he could fly

90 + 5min

Seems like Phil Parkinson's comments were over the top and United not at all happy with them either.
Nothing challenge. Even if it was challange. Just unlucky.

Parkinson should have been more used to this, multiple with 10, in the lower leagues.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Mainoo and Greenwood are the only talents our youth setup has produced in the last decade who are good enough if we're being honest. Our youth facilities need to be upgraded.
Firstly you’re factually incorrect. Secondly if you think that any club has a constant stream of players from the academy teams you’re also wrong. You’re lucky to get 1 player every 3 years. The rest are destined for lower placed PL teams or mostly the championship and lower leagues

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
The majority of the United fans we encountered were disappointed and felt duped by this match. Some flew in and booked hotels. Disgraceful to schedule another match in another state within 24 hrs. I don’t think anyone here knew there would be no first team players involved until a day before, if that. Expected Ryan Reynolds to run around in the stands and take selfies with us at least. What a waste of money and a call-off day from work.

AVARiCE

The comments here defending Man Utd (Academy*) vs Wrexham at FA Cup final prices are disgusting. The fact that the "Academy" bit wasn't specified on the ticket makes it feel like I'm watching a Russian troll farm in action. It's indefensible.

evil_geko

The comments here defending Man Utd (Academy*) vs Wrexham at FA Cup final prices are disgusting. The fact that the "Academy" bit wasn't specified on the ticket makes it feel like I'm watching a Russian troll farm in action. It's indefensible.
No one is defending prices, only the misinformation.

SAFMUTD

Firstly you’re factually incorrect. Secondly if you think that any club has a constant stream of players from the academy teams you’re also wrong. You’re lucky to get 1 player every 3 years. The rest are destined for lower placed PL teams or mostly the championship and lower leagues
Specially top teams, Unless you're a feeding club like Ajax who produces talent after talent and has no problem selling them, hence creating opportunities for youngsters to step up, then its really hard for a youngster to make his way through the first team.

From top teams the one I have most in mind its Chelsea. I think they're the one's producing the most quality players lately, but most of them make it outside Chelsea. Such as Ake, Guehi, Tammy Abraham, Lamptey, Traore, Livramento, Tomori, etc

Top teams usually have only special talents, Liverpools has only TAA starting, City only Foden, Chelsea Reece James and Mount (until now), Arsenal has Saka and Martinelli (I dont know if he counts as academy or not) we have Rashford. So its pretty even between all the top teams. Its really rare for top teams to have several academy players as starters.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Specially top teams, Unless you're a feeding club like Ajax who produces talent after talent and has no problem selling them, hence creating opportunities for youngsters to step up, then its really hard for a youngster to make his way through the first team.

From top teams the one I have most in mind its Chelsea. I think they're the one's producing the most quality players lately, but most of them make it outside Chelsea. Such as Ake, Guehi, Tammy Abraham, Lamptey, Traore, Livramento, Tomori, etc

Top teams usually have only special talents, Liverpools has only TAA starting, City only Foden, Chelsea Reece James and Mount (until now), Arsenal has Saka and Martinelli (I dont know if he counts as academy or not) we have Rashford. So its pretty even between all the top teams. Its really rare for top teams to have several academy players as starters.
Exactly. Some fans expectations are completely and utterly unrealistic.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Look at all you fecking bootlickers. It’s perfectly reasonable to assume most people would’ve bought tickets assuming they’d see at least some proper Man Utd players. It doesn’t make them rubes for not seeking out a vaguely worded statement from the CFO beforehand.

United are entitled to play whoever they like obvs but the “haven’t got a leg to stand on complaining” etc stuff…. It’s fans just trying to see their team play for the first time FFS. Murtough isn’t gonna shag you.
:lol:
If someone is stupid enough to spend $180 on any meaningless preseason friendly then I've no sympathy for them tbh. Especially one against Wrexham ffs
Where do you live?
I expected to see a flying kick from what I read about it, tbh. He's late, the ball gets nicked past him and their bodies come together.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...riker-Paul-Mullins-lung-pre-season-clash.html
Really shitty comments by Parkinson. Very disappointing.
I just think this is such petty Points of View bullshit tbf. Very British though, admittedly. Why wouldn’t you feel sympathy with fellow fans over a club run by vulture capitalists trying to squeeze 2 games into 2 days? Why wouldn’t you initially expect some first team players from watching an advert with Sir Alex? Or maybe they were maybe persuaded by their kids and didn’t want to disappoint? There all sorts of reasons. We were in America already and the Madrid game wasn’t announced. It’s not like were booked to play in Sweden in the middle of a Middle Eastern tour.

This kind of “well they didn’t read the small print, so feck ‘em, I side with the institution” attitude is just unfathomably weird to me. It’s odd to see it as the go-instinct of many is all. We’re a country of snide Little England grasses who want everyone else to have a shit time.
Yeah I'm quite surprised by a lot of posters' reactions on here defending the club.

caid

I thought Liverpool bought TAA

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think when you book a pre season game against a League 2 side that’s exactly what you should expect. I get the disappointment though, but it’s pre season still. Maybe in the future we should consider our global fans who want to see the star players at the only chance they get.

spiriticon

It's kind of a bit shit for the fans in San Diego but there was no way the first team could have been in two places at once.

Why did we not schedule it a couple of days after the Real Madrid match? Someone fecked up.

Fully Fledged

It's kind of a bit shit for the fans in San Diego but there was no way the first team could have been in two places at once.

Why did we not schedule it a couple of days after the Real Madrid match? Someone fecked up.
The first team was never going to play against Wrexham. It would have been 25-0 like a Bayern match the other week. If we play them in the FA Cup we'll play the kids. We might have sent McT and Maguire there to play but that would have been rubbing their faces in the fact that they are not first team players.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think when you book a pre season game against a League 2 side that’s exactly what you should expect. I get the disappointment though, but it’s pre season still. Maybe in the future we should consider our global fans who want to see the star players at the only chance they get.
I remember years ago a friendly was arranged with Rhyl, at their shitty run down ground, and locally that was advertised as Rhyl vs Manchester United, then in really tiny writing under "United" it said "XI" and it was just a bunch of kids. Don't even think Fergie was there.

Think they at least included the XI on the ticket though.

Fully Fledged

I remember years ago a friendly was arranged with Rhyl, at their shitty run down ground, and locally that was advertised as Rhyl vs Manchester United, then in really tiny writing under "United" it said "XI" and it was just a bunch of kids. Don't even think Fergie was there.

Think they at least included the XI on the ticket though.
I remember when they played Walsall and we all went and we moaned because they played youth team players like Beckham, Scholes, Neville and Butt. I mean who would want to watch them. We laughed about it years later.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I remember when they played Walsall and we all went and we moaned because they played youth team players like Beckham, Scholes, Neville and Butt. I mean who would want to watch them. We laughed about it years later.
I think this might have been more Chris Eagles, Ritchie Jones and Kieran Lee.

Fitchett

Sound thanks. Doesn’t look nearly as bad as I was expecting. Their manager is bang out of order with the comments he made after the game
Parkinson should also be looking at himself, for employing crude Route 1 tactics, which encourage physical clashes such as that one. Particularly, when he is managing a team of grown men against mainly Academy players.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The first team was never going to play against Wrexham. It would have been 25-0 like a Bayern match the other week.
Nah, they're a League Two side, not an amateur side. The team Bayern stuffed were from the 9th tier of German football, the English equivalent being something like the North West Counties League. Wrexham could probably get close to double figures against them as well.

Chelsea played a lot of their first teamers against Wrexham and beat them 5-0, which is about right.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Parkinson should also be looking at himself, for employing crude Route 1 tactics, which encourage physical clashes such as that one. Particularly, when he is managing a team of grown men against mainly Academy players.
Man straight up threatened Bishop.

I haven’t seen the goalie and he’s probably best steering clear of us for the time being because we’re not very happy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Those are the tactics they always use. No onus whatsoever on Wrexham to use different tactics than normal to accommodate United’s decision to play a weaker team against them. We’re just lucky it wasn’t one of our young lads hurt. It was always a risk to play such a young team against a side known for a physical style of play.

RuudTom83

I think United saw the commercial side (per usual) and thought a game against Wrexham/Reynolds would be good advertising.

However playing such a low level opposition does nothing for the First team so send the kids...win win.

Sadly it backfired but lets move on now.