Manchester United vs Young Boys may move to neutral venue

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Seems odd that United would potentially be forced to play a home game in a neutral venue, due to the severity of the Swiss government's restrictions.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That's a bit weird. If they cannot make the game, they can always take the L and we get the €3m.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If they don't sort Rangnick's visa out this week, he could potentially only have one game in charge at home before Christmas versus Brighton on 18th December. We only have the two PL games this week, the next midweek versus Young Boys and the Brighton game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Seems odd that United would potentially be forced to play a home game in a neutral venue, due to the severity of the Swiss government's restrictions.
What's also odd is that moving the game would be very difficult. If an Omicron case is detected in the neutral country a day or two before, then Young Boys would either not want to travel there because of imposed self-isolation or would then have to self-isolate anyway if the game goes ahead.

Meep

The world is getting more and more stupid by the second. Virus variants don't care about borders and is probably already everywhere in Europe. Zero covid extremist shouldn't dictate where we play our home games. So YB should just handle us the money if they can't make it here.

Just stop it with this stupidity already. It's not like it's 2020 and China sets the example...

GlasgowRedz

What's also odd is that moving the game would be very difficult. If an Omicron case is detected in the neutral country a day or two before, then Young Boys would either not want to travel there because of imposed self-isolation or would then have to self-isolate anyway if the game goes ahead.
Switzerland have detected their first case of this variant just today, it's linked to someone that travelled to SA but the reality is for them that it's probably already rooted in their population and they've just not realised it yet.

I would imagine that by the time this game comes around the majority of European countries will have had confirmed cases.

RUCK4444

Can’t see us agreeing to lose the benefit of a home game regardless if we’ve won the group or not.

Either way it’s a home game in the CL at Old Trafford, one where the pressure is off as well.

They can forfeit the match if they want.

Castia

Supposed to take the mrs to this game ffs it would be her first game this season

RedDevilRoshi

Tell them to GTF. That’s more a problem for them than us. If they can’t fulfil it as already planned then they can forfeit the game.

Bertie Wooster

Would be correct. It's not YB's fault is it?
But it's not our fault either. So why should the only team that suffer be us, doubly, by both losing our home advantage and affecting preparations for our following league game 3 days later with unnecessary midweek travel abroad? While Young Boys doubly benefit by an away match becoming a game at a neutral venue, and not having to self isolate so having no impact on their following league game.

The issue as far as I read it is that Young Boys could come and play the match perfectly fine, but would then, unless they agree a compromise with the Swiss government / FA, have to self isolate back in Switzerland. That's an in-country ruling, and their opponents shouldn't lose home advantage for a match that could easily be staged - and have their preparations affected for their next match by unnecessary travel abroad days ahead of it - just to prevent Young Boys being the ones inconvenienced for their upcoming league games.

It's a shame if either team suffer due to government / FA decisions, and hopefully it won't come to that as the Swiss can work something out, but if there is a push for a neutral venue to solely benefit Young Boys - and solely at our expense - then we should definitely argue against that and try to keep it as a home game and put the responsibility on Young Boys and the Swiss authorities to sort out their issues.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Either they play or they take an L, it's not the clubs responsibility to take a disadvantage when they are not the cause of the problem. Its unfortunate for Young Boys but that is the world we live in now.

There is also direct presedence for such an event. In 2020 Norway did not travel to Bucharest for the Nations League game against Romania citing travel bans due to Covid regulations in Norway. UEFA awarded Norway a 3-0 loss due to not showing up.

The case with Young Boys is identical, so the outcome should be identical.

Whatsername

Unless they choose to play it on a remote Scottish island with jumpers for goalposts, there’s surely no guarantee that any location will still be considered neutral this time next week.

GledTheRed

Cheeky cnuts, we owe them a slapping for the way they went mental running on the pitch in the reverse tie.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's a home gate, we should care there's a lot of money at stake.
I guess - but I personally struggle to get that bothered about the club losing out on a few mil... what's matchday revenue these days anyway? around £5million? In fact, selfishly, I'd get reimbursed for my ticket! So that's nice.

Well we'd have to travel abroad for a home game mid week. Less ideal than playing at home.
I mean no first-teamer should be anywhere near this game anyway.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Switzerland is historically portrayed as the most “neutral” country so I feel like this is YB’s veiled way of trying to get another home game. Let’s not give them that luxury.

RUCK4444

I’ve got tickets to this, would be my first game at old Trafford in 13 years :mad:
Ah no way! I'd be livid.

Is it definitely being moved? It's a joke. The virus will be in Switzerland regardless of where this match is held. Quarantine the players on their arrival back to Switzerland if they must be so strict on it.

Can't expect opposition teams to move venues and turn down a home game.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The world is getting more and more stupid by the second. Virus variants don't care about borders and is probably already everywhere in Europe. Zero covid extremist shouldn't dictate where we play our home games.
Truth

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I feel for the fans due to go and obviously the club would lose out on money.. but just from a footballing perspective, it really shouldn’t matter, there shouldn’t be a single key player near that squad

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I feel for the fans due to go and obviously the club would lose out on money.. but just from a footballing perspective, it really shouldn’t matter, there shouldn’t be a single key player near that squad
Hard disagree. It's a massive opportunity for the players to embrace the instructions of the new manager without having to worry about the outcome. It's a perfect game for us.

talking robot

Hard disagree. It's a massive opportunity for the players to embrace the instructions of the new manager without having to worry about the outcome. It's a perfect game for us.
100%. This match is a training match for us, and so all the days between Palace and Norwich should be used as such. It's the primary window Rangnick will have to get his ideas across in the short term.

UncleBob

feck Young Boys and UEFA.

There's hardly any logic here, plenty of countries will have confirmed cases during the next week or so, there's no guarantee that moving it to a neutral venue will change anything in regards to the neutral ones.

Furthermore, it would completely shaft Manchester United, giving up both revenue and being forced to travel.