Manchester United were the luckiest team in the league last year

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's a bs study, whoever has done it

hey were deemed lucky to beat Swansea on Aug. 19, to grab a point at Liverpool on Oct. 14
ManUtd won 4-0, scoring 3 goals in last 10 mins.

Apparently Liverpool were unlucky against Spurs
The key game may have been their 2-2 draw with Tottenham on Feb. 4: taking all three points instead of settling for a dramatic point would have helped them keep pace in the race for second.
So it's alright to kick back of the leg, as long as defender says he didn't see the attacker.

SER19

A truly bogus examination of things. Funded by jurgen klopp

lysglimt

Scout
So according to this study - refereeing mistakes and deflected goals are equal :)

I can accept that mistakes by referees have to do with luck - but deflected goals ? You shoot a lot - you get deflected goals...plain and simple

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Standard technique.

Play up to the ABUs and get the scousers feeling they are victims before they go out to the dump to look for unopened cans of food for breakfast.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Honestly think if we won the league this season it would be the most satisfying title win we’ve ever had. The agenda against us is embarrassing. Would be tears in the media if we were to do it. BBC publishing bollocks like this what’s going on.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Honestly think if we won the league this season it would be the most satisfying title win we’ve ever had. The agenda against us is embarrassing. Would be tears in the media if we were to do it. BBC publishing bollocks like this what’s going on.
I hope we do. The fallout from the media (and united fans wanting Mourinho out) would be hilarious.

Marcky411

Well to start off it might all be bollocks, a conspiracy against Utd. Jose has got the opportunity this season to prove the study wrong and that we deserved ending second(still win nothing). Would love to see him prove them all wrong and I am one of the people who want Jose out but I hate the media even more.

iHicksy

If you read the bottom it clearly states "This study was performed by John Moore's University with funding from Red and White Kopp, Liverpool FC Forum"

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If you read the bottom it clearly states "This study was performed by John Moore's University with funding from Red and White Kopp, Liverpool FC Forum"
Even then they still managed to bottle it and finish second.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It looks like a serious study to me. Can't really argue with facts.
Relax.. Just joking

Yergen

I wonder if penalties incorrectly not awarded are all counted as goals. You still have to convert them in real life.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldSchoolManc

Absolute wind up.
The amount of penalties for assault in the box that weren’t given, the amount of late Citeh goals and time added on til they scored, the divetastic City and Liverpool players getting penalties, the non penalisation of Klopp and Pep for touchline antics....the list goes on.
Ridiculous.

Reactions: jojojo

RedChisel

Would this study have even been publicised if the results showed United were the unluckiest, I think not. It's open season on us at the moment, I just hope Mourinho is using this to create a siege mentality.

Reactions: Penna

48 hours

There’s no such thing as luck. Things just happen. It’s like claiming a witch has either cursed someone or blessed someone.
I await the university of Liverpool next piece of research into how witches all favour Utd.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
There’s no such thing as luck. Things just happen. It’s like claiming a witch has either cursed someone or blessed someone.
I await the university of Liverpool next piece of research into how witches all favour Utd.
Well there is clearly such a thing as luck.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If poor game management which leads to blowing 3 points is considered to be bad luck, then yes, Liverpool were the unluckiest. So unlucky. Pray for Jurgen.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It'll be brilliant. But at this moment, I can't see it. That Bayern game was so bad it sucked all the optimism out of me.

The media are really sharpening their knives this season. I hope Jose proves them (and me, for that matter) wrong.

izec

Dont know about Liverpool, but i dont think we were particulalrly lucky or unlucky. Swinged both ways during the season

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The more I look at the points difference the more stupid it becomes, City only losing three points in particular is pathetic.

48 hours

Well there is clearly such a thing as luck.
Well in that case the only explanation is that Woodward has spent time researching a luck virus, like in that episode of Red Dwarf where they find luck is a positive virus and manage to use it.

el3mel

I guess many known posters here will love this article and use it for their upcoming arguments.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The more I look at the points difference the more stupid it becomes, City only losing three points in particular is pathetic.
Well they actually lost an insane amount of goals, it's just that they won most games by so many that it didn't matter.

I actually think this kind of study is really impressive. Clearly a lot of time and effort has gone into it. To dismiss it out of hand is pretty silly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's one of the shoddiest bits of "research" I've ever seen:

Jose Mourinho’s team was the most fortunate one in The Premier League though you wouldn’t know it from watching his dour post-match news conferences. But after reviewing 16 incidents throughout the campaign, Man United should have had six fewer points than they did, leading to a fourth-place finish instead of second.

They were deemed lucky to beat Swansea on Aug. 19, to grab a point at Liverpool on Oct. 14 and defeat Brighton on Nov. 25. Will they get the same breaks this season?
What the actual feck?!

Not to mention the fact that - as already pointed out - 3 of those 6 points we were apparently "lucky" to get came in a game we won 4 bloody nil (with 59% possession and 17 shots to 5). The whole thing is a load of old bollox.

Last edited:

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Well they actually lost an insane amount of goals, it's just that they won most games by so many that it didn't matter.

I actually think this kind of study is really impressive. Clearly a lot of time and effort has gone into it. To dismiss it out of hand is pretty silly.
I'll dismiss it because unless they show exact data for every thing they decided was luck based it's based on their own bias opinion.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
@Wumminator

Is this not just another version of the infamous Alternate League Table (of which Liverpool have been champions of the universe since the dawn of time) created by Liverpool fans in order to make themselves feel better about their distinct lack of success over the past 3 decades?

Mike Smalling

Apparantly includes both goals scored after injury time overran and deflected goals. First of all, the injury time denotes the minimum amount of minutes to be played extra. You play until the ref decides the game is over. Second, deflected goals don't just come from anywhere - you of course have to have possession and create shooting opportunities to have the chance of getting a deflected goal.

I call BS, but no doubt Liverpool will see this as confirmation that they are cursed and/or the FA is out to get them.

Reactions: jojojo