Manchester United were the luckiest team in the league last year

Revan

Assumptionman
How is it peer reviewed? The only "publication" is on their own website ffs!
In addition to that, peer reviewed (not even if it is in a top journal/conference) doesn't necessarily guarantee quality.

But more interesting, how on Earth do you simulate a game of football (that they did on this study)? Play a lot of games in Fifa?

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I like football, I really do. But shouldn't the academic world be researching ways to cure cancer etc instead? If they've got time to do this kind of research (I'll use the term loosely in this instance) then they've got too much time on their hands.

Scriblerus

Liverpool add the Nett Luck Trophy to the Nett Spend Cup that sits proudly in their virtual silverware room. So not only will next year be their year, apparently last year was as well.

Tarrou

I'm quite skeptical that United are top and Liverpool are bottom. Just so happens the exact two results you'd need to create the most clicks/outrage :lol:

Offsideagain

Typical BBC poll which I refuse to read. I bet it doesn’t mention Raheem’s goal at Huddersfield that cannoned of his chest from a clearance by their keeper and the two failed penalty appeals prior to that that were clear booking. Or City’s winner at Palace in the 7th minute of 5 minutes of added time now called Guardiola time.

It’s all bollocks.

MonkeysMagic

Pathetic is too understated word to describe the narrative being pushed out by the beeb today re Liverpool.

MOTD is going to be insufferable this season!

Sterling Archer

Has anyone pointed out that City won the luck jackpot in it's entirety when they were bought out by billionaire, slave-trading oil tycoon?

Whatever luck we've apparently been lapping up is just scraps in comparison.

James Peril

I'm shit at regression analysis, statistics and probability - but I do know one thing; if we are up 2-1 against Swansea and they get a goal disallowed in the 60th minute it's considered luck and reflects badly in the above-mentioned, silly report - like the game would have been over. What it does not show is that we would have had 30 minutes left to score another if the goal had stood. When a team is 2-1 up, the other team chases the game more than the one leading. If it's a tie, the better team previously in the lead starts to chase the game again. That fact alone makes a report like this completely worthless and not even worth reading. These are probably serious guys, so I find it astounding that anyone would put their name on such a trivial thing. The world is garbage though; I heard a couple of guys at work talking about it today, as well hearing Pogba's on his way out.

lewwoo

At least liverpool have won the unluckiest team cup. A scouser will be polishing the open top bus as we speak.

In Rainbows

I honestly thought this was supposed to be about how United, out of all the top clubs, conceded the most shots on goal, and created the least chances.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I know right, it's almost as if this was agenda driven and they picked and chose the moments that suited their narrative.
The worst has to be pens and the example that Liverpool would have got a pen and won the game. Now wait a second this is against big DDG. Fcuk you study DDG would have that pen in his pocket....like an accountant.