Manchester United Women - Silly Season 2023/24 - Ins and outs

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Their womens football team operate at a loss and so does ours.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we should be investing more, especially on the facilities etc. However I am just pointing out the point about sustainability is a valid one.

And the club needs to be pushing the FA to sort it out. An arms race where wages and fees in the womens game far out paces the amount of revenue generated is not good for the womens game overall period
Fair enough.

FlexoRodriguez

Yeah, Irene looks like a strong signing, and it is clear there is certainly some appeal to players to come here. Not sure how I feel about Vilde going, she was a bit part player last season, so this feels like an upgrade to a more regular starter. But then, who would she start in place of - is she a Zelem or a Ladd style of midfielder?

Reactions: Rood

Lightbringer

Just as I predicted!

Skinner must be happy now at least :nono: :devil:

I hope we did not let her leave on a free transfer like with the other players Skinner brought in and refused to play? ;)

Last edited:

Grande

Not quite, the club focused on youth due to the rather limited aspect of the women's game.
This is an unfortunate one, because the truth is that United had a women’s team and a youth programme before the Glazer’s came, they shut down the women’s team immediately and there is no evidence apart from their own press release excuse that they ever intended to prioritize anything to do with women’s football at Man Utd. They were forced into establishing a team after 13 years, and the people who fought every step of the way for that to come to fruition, were least of all the Glazers.

And we have matched wages, we offered the same wages to Russo as Arsenal,
So the investment is there,
so you need to ask yourself why players like Russo or Earps might want to leave United for teams like Arsenal and Chelsea?
The simple answer is Chelsea can guarantee medals whereas Arsenal woman's are a dominant force in the woman's game, albeit seemingly on a slight decline if recent results are anything to go by!
This I follow. Albeit, I am quite sure that the pulling power of Arsenal, Chelsea and City over United has been a) money (we are coming late to that table) and b) the sense of professional ambitions (influenced by the first, the stars, the CL ‘membership’, but also the training conditions, the professionality around games etc). It’s looking up in some respects with getting in players like Miyazawa, Geyse and Guerrero, but I think the conditions around the club making the women’s team feel like an important part of the family and an elite sport enterprise is very important. Think how recently it was that we lost one of the most important and talented football leaders (Casey Stoney) due to bickering over training facilities and wardrobes.

Don’t get me wrong, I think we should be investing more, especially on the facilities etc. However I am just pointing out the point about sustainability is a valid one.

And the club needs to be pushing the FA to sort it out. An arms race where wages and fees in the womens game far out paces the amount of revenue generated is not good for the womens game overall period
The point about sustainability is, in one way, a relevant one. In a deeper sense, it is a different point: Just looking at the potential of women’s football for future growth, it’s an innovation field in it’s baby steps, and the truth about such fields is that todays outlays will be balanced not against todays income, but against today’s investment capacity and the income of the future. United is in an even better position than Arsenal, Lyon and Barcelona to invest in the future of women’s football and become a leading player in that field for decdes to come, bringing huge masses of people into football and into the club. It’s a question about will, ambition, responsibility and foresight. Here Man Utd have people who wants this to happen, but the owners have been a hand brake, not an innovative driving power.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
The point about sustainability is, in one way, a relevant one. In a deeper sense, it is a different point: Just looking at the potential of women’s football for future growth, it’s an innovation field in it’s baby steps, and the truth about such fields is that todays outlays will be balanced not against todays income, but against today’s investment capacity and the income of the future. United is in an even better position than Arsenal, Lyon and Barcelona to invest in the future of women’s football and become a leading player in that field for decdes to come, bringing huge masses of people into football and into the club. It’s a question about will, ambition, responsibility and foresight. Here Man Utd have people who wants this to happen, but the owners have been a hand brake, not an innovative driving power.
Barcelona have done things well in women's football in recent years and now you can see the results. A great academy with national and foreign talent, the same philosophy in all teams and in the economic section with enough sponsors to generate profits.

This year the budgeted income will be €17.5M and expenses €14M. If it is not the highest budget in Europe it will be close.

Reactions: jojojo

Grande

If this is true, it’s a big improvementin theory!

I see Guerrero as maybe mostly a creative midfielder though, so I’m curious about the balance of the midfield with all of Miyazawa, Toone and Guerrero playing. Would certainly not look like we’re going for Kerolin if that’s the case.

Grande

Barcelona have done things well in women's football in recent years and now you can see the results. A great academy with national and foreign talent, the same philosophy in all teams and in the economic section with enough sponsors to generate profits.

This year the budgeted income will be €17.5M and expenses €14M. If it is not the highest budget in Europe it will be close.
Which underlines a few points about investment: Building an academy is a huge expense that is either made specifically for the girls’ teams at a running loss, or made for the club, including girls and boys, taking the budget sums out of an attempt to isolate sustainability costs pegender.

The question of sponsorships and brand investment and income is even more interesting. You can ‘syphon’ a sponsorship deal to a particular team or even part of the academy, but the reality is that any sponsor putting money on the table for a placement on a shirt or a billboard is buying into the brand total anyway.

For Man Utd, the brand income will for instance be reflected in how many girls and women on a world basis buy into the club through everything from shirt sales to clicks. This will be much more money than any ear marked sponsorship deals. Likewise, the Glazers most salient motivation for reestabliahing a woman’s team - the cost to the brand of being the one team without a women’s side, was starting to become obvious even to them, I think. Those uncountable sums will likely dwarf any sums related to player costs or team specific revenue.

The big picture is real wether it is counted or not, and the truth is that having girls as well as boys, women as well as men as part of the ambitions connected to the Theatre Of Dreams is part of the same sustainability model, it’s not possible to split in two separate ones.

Any ‘roof’ for women’s teams will have to reflect that, or any investment limitations will just turn into syphonong excersises like Man City’s emiratic ‘sponsor deals’.

TMS

If this is true, it’s a big improvementin theory!

I see Guerrero as maybe mostly a creative midfielder though, so I’m curious about the balance of the midfield with all of Miyazawa, Toone and Guerrero playing. Would certainly not look like we’re going for Kerolin if that’s the case.
I still see us going for Kerolin in January. She played in midfield for Brazil, but she is most definitely a forward for her club and is one of the top scorers in the NWSL. She'd be an upgrade on the likes of Martha Thomas, Rachel Williams & Nikita Parris in those positions.

Grande

I still see us going for Kerolin in January. She played in midfield for Brazil, but she is most definitely a forward for her club and is one of the top scorers in the NWSL. She'd be an upgrade on the likes of Martha Thomas, Rachel Williams & Nikita Parris in those positions.
That’s interesting. So how would you expect Skinner to line us up in January if tat is what happens?

Earps
Riviere Le Tissier Turner Blundell
Ladd
Miyazawa Guerrero
Kerolin Geyse Toone
?

Or Zelem, Naalsund, Parris, Galton?

Someone is not getting much game time either way, be i terrsring to see what would happen.

TMS

That’s interesting. So how would you expect Skinner to line us up in January if tat is what happens?

Earps
Riviere Le Tissier Turner Blundell
Ladd
Miyazawa Guerrero
Kerolin Geyse Toone
?

Or Zelem, Naalsund, Parris, Galton?

Someone is not getting much game time either way, be i terrsring to see what would happen.
Well I'd hope that we see some real rotation out of Skinner this season with our depth now starting to include some really good players. We'll see how far we get in the UWCL first though as that will have an effect on how many games we have to play.

I think if we brought in Kerolin in January a lineup like the below wouldn't be too far off.

Earps
Riviere MLT Turner Blundell
Ladd Zelam
Kerolin Toone Galton
Geyse

You then have Hinata, Guerrero, Naalsund, Parris, Garcia & Mannion who could all push to be part of the starting lineup if they are in form. Also have to remember we've been linked to Cooney-Cross on a free in January as well, so could potentially add her into the midfield jumble.

Demon Barber

According to the report filed with Companies House the Women's Team made a profit of £846k in the last financial year. I'd be interested to see evidence to indicate that we operate at a loss.

muller

Sad to see Leon and Vilde go though. Leon especially has a lot of potential we didnt even try.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Sad to see VBR go, but we shouldn't lose out much with the trade and hopefully Skinner feels more inclined to use Guerrero in the rotation.

We seem to have pretty solid depth now everywhere other than centre forward and fullback, have heard chat that we've got something in the works for the latter but looks like we might be going with what we have up front. Hopefully Geyse settles in well and stays fit.

cj_sparky

According to the report filed with Companies House the Women's Team made a profit of £846k in the last financial year. I'd be interested to see evidence to indicate that we operate at a loss.
Those accounts usual include the investment from the men's team under "Commercial Revenue", so include the £3-4m in investment/ trickle down of sponsorship.

top1whoisman

Scout
Not that the transfer of Baggaley would raise any eyebrows, but I still don’t like leaks from a player’s family. I know she didn’t do that on purpose and probably wasn’t sure if it was official yet, but still.

Grande

Sad to see VBR go, but we shouldn't lose out much with the trade and hopefully Skinner feels more inclined to use Guerrero in the rotation.

We seem to have pretty solid depth now everywhere other than centre forward and fullback, have heard chat that we've got something in the works for the latter but looks like we might be going with what we have up front. Hopefully Geyse settles in well and stays fit.
I would think Guerrero is an upgrade on Bøe Risa.

Ubik

I would think Guerrero is an upgrade on Bøe Risa.
Could well be, just haven't seen her play much and my point was more that we shouldn't lose anything. We've lost a few over the summer but the only real position where we can confidently say we'll be worse is right back, and then only because Batlle was the best around. Overall we're hopefully a bit better balanced with some more options to change around going forward.

Is there any actual concrete evidence of us going for guerrero?
The person who reported it yesterday was the same person to report VBR going the other way, which has now happened.

top1whoisman

Scout
Is there any actual concrete evidence of us going for guerrero?
Yeah it’s all over twitter, with the usual accounts who are very well informed on women’s transfers tweeting it, legit journos as sources. Matter of time now.

rooneyberbatov

Could well be, just haven't seen her play much and my point was more that we shouldn't lose anything. We've lost a few over the summer but the only real position where we can confidently say we'll be worse is right back, and then only because Batlle was the best around. Overall we're hopefully a bit better balanced with some more options to change around going forward.

The person who reported it yesterday was the same person to report VBR going the other way, which has now happened.
She’s definitely stronger and more agressive off the ball. Good at counters as well as she’s pretty quick. Good addition, I think.

ForeverRed1

I have to say I’m liking the transfer business so far. I know a lot is said of losing certain players we have.. but we have replaced with quality. Don’t see a reason we can’t challenge next season. On paper atleast.

TMS

Not that the transfer of Baggaley would raise any eyebrows, but I still don’t like leaks from a player’s family. I know she didn’t do that on purpose and probably wasn’t sure if it was official yet, but still.
What is wrong with it? The transfer will be leaked eventually anyway by a journalist or itk eventually, why does it matter that the initial public leak is from a family member? It’s not like it’s even a post announcing it, just a comment that someone spotted and highlighted wider.

top1whoisman

Scout
What is wrong with it? The transfer will be leaked eventually anyway by a journalist or itk eventually, why does it matter that the initial public leak is from a family member? It’s not like it’s even a post announcing it, just a comment that someone spotted and highlighted wider.
I'm sure if it happened in the men's game there would be much more uproar. To each their own, not a fan of it personally.

Lightbringer

Mary Earps has made an interview with ITV today, anyone know what she was cooking?

top1whoisman

Scout
Mary Earps has made an interview with ITV today, anyone know what she was cooking?
It was not a cooking show, just an interview.

England goalkeeper Mary Earps says she “is not quite there yet” on feeling proud of her World Cup performance, following the Lionesses’ defeat against Spain in last month’s final.

‘‘You know deep down somewhere in your body that it’s very hard to get to a World Cup final, and it’s something that people only dream of.’’

Earps says that she has stopped reliving that night in Sydney. ‘‘I’m not so much replaying it now’’, she told ITV News. ‘‘I think that would be a brutal form of therapy.’’

The England and Manchester revealed she forced herself to smile when she was presented with the FIFA Golden Glove - an award given to the tournament’s best goalkeeper - in the minutes after the final whistle.

‘‘I’m just not very good at hiding things. What you see is what you get’’, Earps explained to ITV News’ Sports Editor, Steve Scott.

‘‘I just kept thinking about my loved ones really, and thinking about what that moment would also mean to them’’, she said. ‘‘And if there could be a picture where I don’t look miserable as sin, you know, that'll be a really nice photo to look back on and for them to have. I remember just feeling really, I don't know, sombre at the time, but trying to clap.’’

Earps’ had caused a social-media stir after saving a critical penalty from Spain’s Jenni Hermoso, preventing England from going 2-0 down. After her teammates ran to her in celebration, Earps’ x-rated shout became a viral hit.

‘‘That was wild, yeah, that was crazy’’, she said. ‘’There was so much emotion around that… so much passion, I think you could see.’’

‘‘People who don't know me and maybe have only watched football once in their lifetime and would maybe have this perception that I'm not a very nice person and that I'm some sort of ogre’’, Earps said. ‘‘It's hard to apologise for being myself and how to apologise for such an emotionally charged moment.’’

Earps sat down with ITV News 24 hours after the resignation of Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales, following weeks of global outcry surrounding his unsolicited kiss on Hermoso.

The England goalkeeper says the controversy ‘‘overshadowed’’ the success of a ''fantastic'' 'Spanish team who had already faced ‘‘a lot of adversity.’’

‘‘I think there's still things that need to change’’, Earps said. ‘‘More things [need] to improve in the fight for equality. I think the conversation around equality always sort of centres around equal pay. And I don't think that that's even part of this discussion, it's in other areas we are really focused on’’

But Earps is clear that the Lionesses' success on the pitch has given them a platform and a voice.

‘‘When you're not successful, the doors are very much closed and it's sort of like okay, come back when you're worthy of being listened to.’’

The Lionesses are still embroiled in a pay dispute with the FA. Ahead of their tournament opener against Haiti, the squad shared an open letter expressing their ‘‘disappointment’’. The disagreement centres on the allocation of tournament prize money, paid out by FIFA.

The players agreed to ‘‘pause’’ negotiations for the duration of the World Cup and Earps said she expects the negotiations to conclude amicably.

‘‘Nobody wants to fight with anyone. Everyone's here to all sing off the same hymn sheet or push the game in the right direction. And I'm sure if we all want that we'll all have a positive conclusion.''

Earps added: ‘‘And we're due to meet up really soon. And I think that'll be now everyone's had a little bit of time to rest and digest and process we can we can pick up those conversations and move forward as a collective.’’

Her own public row with Nike over their refusal to sell a replica of Earps’ goalkeeper shirt ended in a u-turn, as the sports giant agreed to market a ‘‘limited quantities’’ of her green jersey.

‘‘I feel really strongly that there's a large group of people who are not being served by our main sponsor’’, Earps says. ‘‘And it's a really damaging message to send to young kids. And that again, just ties into my passion for football, my passion for goalkeeping. I feel really strongly about making goalkeeping cool and making it accessible to people.’’

‘‘I never expected to make any sort of change. I just guess I wanted to feel like a little bit heard and I wanted also for the fans to know that I have really been trying hard and fighting for them’’, she says. ‘‘And that was really what it was about. It wasn't about, I don't know, trying to kick up a stink and make a big, big tidal wave. It was simply to let the fans know that hey, this isn't right.’’

Meanwhile, Earps wouldn’t be drawn on her future at Manchester United, amid speculation that she will shortly leave the club for Arsenal.

Asked about the future of women's football, Earps said: ‘‘I would like it to look shiny with trophies. And yeah, lots of success, lots of good memories, and hopefully plenty of packed out stadiums.’’

top1whoisman

Scout
What's cooking meaning slang?

whats up?
Native speaker TEFL Certified. "What's cooking" is an informal slang phrase meaning "whats up?" or "what's going on?".

:lol:
I know. It’s just such a stupid phrase that I refuse to accept its existence. Old man and all that.

Lightbringer

I know. It’s just such a stupid phrase that I refuse to accept its existence. Old man and all that.
Haha, gotcha!

I saw Earps stayed away from United topic as she surely first wants to try all options to leave before probably making a PR-statement saying she never wanted to leave or had contact with the Gunners once the transfer window is shut. Thats my prediction! I am not not a happy bunny about having a player around who rather be at Arsenal tbh.

But wait, if Baggers are leaving, should that not mean UTD is making room for another keeper regardless? Bring in another star keeper to try her out during this season?

Last edited:

TMS

I'm sure if it happened in the men's game there would be much more uproar. To each their own, not a fan of it personally.
in the men’s game there’s constant transfer news well before the club has announced things officially. This is quite unique to the women’s game because it’s nowhere near as heavily covered and for some reason clubs don’t like to announce signings even when it’s officially done. Just look at the Emma Watson signing, everyone knew she had signed but she couldn’t be in any of the training pictures until it was ‘officially’ announced.

FlexoRodriguez

A 6ft keeper should be pretty imposing at corners too. I guess if we get her in then Mary is going to be pushed to keep starting, and to show her value to others if she is still after a move. Reassuring - as long as the transfer happens!

Ubik

That would make a lot of sense on the fullback cover front. Wouldn't have thought we'd want to lose another forward though given how light we are up there, unless someone else is coming in.