Manchester United Women | The Pre Relaunch Thread

Grande

This thread is for discussing or sharing things to do with ladies and girls football connected to MUFC. History, games, news, results, players, activities, whatever.

I am aware that there is a thread of fairly similar name, but that is merely a discussion about why Uniteds adult ladies team was closed, so I think a separate thread is warranted. For discussions about this, there are several threads started to that end:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-united-ladies-football-club.403768/page-5

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-manchester-united-womens-team.357383/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-manchester-united-womens-team.357383/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/why-do-we-not-have-a-womens-team.430007/

As a starter, I'll put up this MU Foundation vid featuring Katie Zelem back in 2012, putting into words the dream of playing for Man Utd that so many boys and girls have:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANy...aEdtOPDo7AD0Sw&time_continue=86&v=gsHAgG9c8yA

Web of Bissaka

And here's footage from the Man Utd ladies u17 playing the FA Youth Cup final against Arsenal:

Aww, beat me to it haha I was just going to post that.

This is the result,

U17 girls make history as they finish runners-up in FA Youth Cup Final
Manchester United U17 girls were up against Arsenal U17s in the final which took place at St George’s Park Football Centre, home to the country’s national team.

"I’m feeling a bit gutted for the girls but Arsenal were a brilliant side and we have got to give them respect for that. First half let us down but that second half performance, I couldn’t fault the girls."
Fletcher - Manchester United Under 17's Captain

http://www.mufoundation.org/News/Ar...-finish-runners-up-in-FA-Youth-Cup-Final.aspx

Web of Bissaka

And before that..
Under 17s girls make history by reaching the FA Youth Cup Final

Manchester United U17s girls beat North West rivals Stoke City 6-0 to progress to the FA Youth Cup final for the first time.

17:00, 06 March 2016 | by Thomas Jones
The Centre of Excellence team has suffered in the North West league this season, denting their chances of retaining their champion status for a fifth consecutive season, however the Reds put on an emphatic display for the FA Youth Cup semi- final and showed that they still have the talent and desire to finish the season with a piece of silverware.
Based on past results the tie looked potentially dangerous with United only managing to secure a point from the previous two league meetings against Stoke. However the Reds looked to avenge the previous results and started the match with a very high tempo. First half strikes from Fisher, Wilson and Loukes saw the Reds to the halfway point with a well-deserved 3-0 lead. The pick of the first half goals came from fullback Loukes as she broke down the right hand side to beat the defence and drill the ball into the top corner from a very tight angle.

The second half started with a scare as Stoke City came out fighting and an early goal mouth skirmish forced two goal line clearances. However the girls rallied and almost immediately went to the other end of the pitch as Charlton found the space to coolly slot the ball into the corner and take the tie even further beyond the visitors.

United continued to dictate the game with plenty of possession and showed no mercy as substitute Mather waltzed through the Stoke defence to bend the ball round the keeper and make it 5-0. The inch-perfect placement was celebrated wildly by Mather and her teammates and was a show of great determination by the youngster, who has spent a large part of the season on the side-lines after suffering an injury.

The tie was finally put beyond doubt as a defensive error from Stoke made it easy work for Charlton to add to her goal scoring tally and grab her second goal of the game.

Midfielder, Ashworth-Clifford, who finished the day with five assists was happy with the team performance. She said, “It was a very good match today and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I’m looking forward to the final; we don’t play against Arsenal much so we really need to go and smash them! It’s the best feeling to get this far and at this moment in time it’s probably better than winning the league.”

United striker, Charlton, was also pleased to be in with the chance of silverware. She said, “It was a hard match and a bit of battle but we took our chances. I’m really happy that we’ve made it to the final. It means a lot because we’ll be the first girls’ team from United to ever make it to the FA Cup Final.”

Under 17s’ coach Tom Fitton also praised the performance and the attitude of his players. He said, “The girls realise that this is one of the proudest moments as they’ve made history. They gave everything we asked of every player and went above and beyond today with their performances.”

When asked about their opponent in the next round, Tom added, “I think the final will be played at a high level and we will see some quality football. There will be a lot of passion, fire and desire, and Arsenal will be up for it as any team would be for a final. We’ve just got to play our game and look to dominate.”

Manchester United will now travel to St Georges Park on 16th April to face Arsenal under 17s. With the Reds having scored 20 goals and only conceding one in the last three rounds the final looks poised to be an exciting affair.

"The girls realise that this is one of the proudest moments as they’ve made history. They gave everything we asked of every player and went above and beyond today with their performances.”
Tom Fitton - Under 17s coach

http://www.mufoundation.org/en/News...story-by-reaching-the-FA-Youth-Cup-Final.aspx
Last year, 6-0 against Stoke semi-final is impressive. And apparently reaching that Cup Final was the first time. Potential is there. No reason if the same team can't gain similar success on senior level.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We really are missing the football aren't we, 2 threads on womens football on the first page of the forum :p

Denis79

The problem isn't as much the quality of womens football as the lack of media coverage and hype around it, I've watched womens world cups, euros etc I found it quite entertaining frankly, lots of goals and constant attacking play and so on. Ofcourse you can't compare the football, mens football is run by countless millions of pounds and the players / managers / clubs are formed by it but I personally think it's a shame we don't have a womens team.

klayton88

Any goal from outside the 6 yard box is a "screamer". Womens football is shite. 9/10 goals you look at the keeper and think what are you doing.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Shouldn't this thread be moved into one of those other less visited sections where all the other uninteresting topics are discussed?

Anddddd triggered!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The purpose of the thread is clearly explained in the opening posting.

Typically when anything relating to womens football appears on these forums all the complete and utter morons appear posting irrelevant drivel.

use your brains, keep to the purpose of the thread

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I can't pretend I'm clamouring to watch United girls/women, or women's football in general. However I've done a fair amount of work with school-age girls who play football, many of whom are United fans, who have felt they had to join City's academy because the development offer for them there is much more preferable than ours.

Whether that's a reason for us to form a women's team is debatable, as there are obvious economic factors and questions over the broad appeal of the women's game that seem to work against the idea, but even from my small insight I know there are girls who are not getting the same chance boys their age have to represent their team.

As an aside the girl in the video above, Katie Zelem, now plays for Liverpool Ladies, which goes a long way to proving that as things stand United are letting girls and young women down.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We should have a poll but I would bet less than 10% would think we need to have a womans team.
I wouldn't be so sure. I think the caf is a pretty left leaning place, I reckon it would be something like 60/40 in favour.

032Devil

Are you 12?
is that were you take down a discussion? If you don't like my opinion then give a counter one rather than resorting to insults!

I've seen women's football. Its never inspired or attracted me.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's not as 'good' football on display, but doesn't make it unwatchable. Christ, I used to have season tickets to my home team who were in the Scottish 2nd division, yet the games were still as exciting as some PL fixtures. Would love to see a Woman's united team, I'm sure there are millions of girls across the world who dream of playing for United professionally, unfair that they can't I reckon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
is that were you take down a discussion? If you don't like my opinion then give a counter one rather than resorting to insults!

I think the real point is that, as per the OP, this thread was set up to follow Manchester United's ladies teams rather than discuss the merits of women's football itself. Yet a few posters immediately jumped in assuming the forum wanted to read the standard complaints about women's football once more, this time in the wrong thread.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
I think they should be at least allowed to create a team. But let them build it up from scratch on their own. Start in the lowest league generate their own money. Maybe the club could give them a few quid for initial setup costs.

Utd is proud of the tradition of bringing youngsters through. Let the girls show the world that you can create a club that can compete at the highest levels without spending vast sums on imports.

Grande

Can we have a poll? Think it would be interesting.
I thought the OP was unmistakably clear in refering to four other existing threads for discussing the Yes/No question, one of which has been fairly active for the last weeks.

This is for discussing and sharing actual football, and would probably more suitable for people interested in football for girls and women as well as men.

In the interest of the thread topic, would it be possible for a mod to remove the posts in here openly being only about argumenting against women's football or a United's women's team? They clearly are important opinions, but as clearly have existing threads for it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I thought the OP was unmistakably clear in refering to four other existing threads for discussing the Yes/No question, one of which has been fairly active for the last weeks.

This is for discussing and sharing actual football, and would probably more suitable for people interested in football for girls and women as well as men.

In the interest of the thread topic, would it be possible for a mod to remove the posts in here openly being only about argumenting against women's football or a United's women's team? They clearly are important opinions, but as clearly have existing threads for it.
I didn't necessarily mean in here, but in any thread. We haven't had one on the topic as far as I'm aware.

Grande

Some historical bits about ladies team:

http://fromaleftwing.blogspot.no/2012/07/the-ladies-of-old-trafford.html?m=1

If correct it strikes me that

Newton Heath formed in the seventies, MUSFC ladies formed in the seventies

Newton Heath joined league in the late eighties, MUSFC ladies joined league in late eighties

First years into the new century: Newton Heath became Manchester United FC, and MUSFC ladies became Manchester United FC ladies.

Only difference: John Henry Davies bought the club, removed debt and invested heavily. Six years later, first League trophy.

Malcolm Glazer bought the club, introduced debt and shut down MUFC Ladies. 12 years later: Reviewing reintroduction of team (ongoing).

032Devil

I think the real point is that, as per the OP, this thread was set up to follow Manchester United's ladies teams rather than discuss the merits of women's football itself. Yet a few posters immediately jumped in assuming the forum wanted to read the standard complaints about women's football once more, this time in the wrong thread.
I know what the OP was about. I was reply to comment made by another poster.

klsv

You really are being generous to yourself calling your first posts, which are also off topic, in this thread a discussion. That would be as stupid as me going to the NFL thread to say "lol this sport does not interest me" and crying when being told off.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know what the OP was about. I was reply to comment made by another poster.
You know what the OP is about yet decide to immediately derail the thread by telling everyone how boring you think women's football is with your very first post? That's even more stupid than not reading the OP in the first place.

Last edited:

032Devil

You know what the OP is about yet decide to immeditaely derail the thread by telling everyone how boring you think women's football is with your very first post? That's even more stupid than not reading the OP in the first place.
You know what the OP is about yet decide to immeditaely derail the thread by telling everyone how boring you think women's football is with your very first post? That's even more stupid than not reading the OP in the first place.
My my, we are prickly in this thread. I'm especially surprised at Sullydnl with the number of posts you have. Conversations by posters go sideways all the time - have a look at almost any thread on the caf.

Anyway, I leave you to your ladies. Have fun.

Last edited:

Grande

I've seen claims that MUFC ladies were formed in 2000 from a team called Corinthians (the same as the famed Manchester Corinthians that won the unofficial European cup for ladies in the seventies?) and in 2001 from a team called Manchester United Supporter Club Ladies. Any oldtimers with historical insight who can clear this up?

Grande

In the book The Premiership 2008-2009, I found the following excerpt:

https://books.google.no/books?id=pG...n's regional league manchester united&f=false

'Manchester United Ladies F.C. was formed in 1977 as Manchester United Supporter's Club Ladies. They joined the Three Counties League in 1979, and became founding members of the North West Women's Regional Football League in 1989, when they officially changed their name to Manchester United Ladies F.C. Although they were relegated from the league in their first season, they were promoted again the season after, and went on to win the league in the season 1995-96. For the 1998-99 season, the team joined the Northern Combination, two steps below the FA Women's Premier League. They were brought under the banner of Manchester United F.C. at the start of the 2001-02 season, but for financial reasons were disbanded before the 2004-05 season. However, the club is still involved in girl's football.'