Manchester United Women | The Pre Relaunch Thread

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Who watches this stuff. Its so boring.
Shouldn't this thread be moved into one of those other less visited sections where all the other uninteresting topics are discussed?

Anddddd triggered!
It won't take long for the morons and naysayers (Not implying anyone's a moron by the way) to proliferate this thread with the usual negativity and idiotic comments rather than just accept it for what it is and just see how it pans out. I'm all for a United Women's team.

Varun

Staff
People not interested in this should stay out of the thread instead of polluting it with versions of "who gives a feck".

stepic

People not interested in this should stay out of the thread instead of polluting it with versions of "who gives a feck".
a-fecking-men to that

when in theory will the proposed first game be? I will definitely catch their first game.

Sky show some games too right?

CallyRed

I personally dont watch womens football, but this can only be a postiive thing for the game.

Grande

a-fecking-men to that

when in theory will the proposed first game be? I will definitely catch their first game.

Sky show some games too right?
FA will first present their new reformed league pyramid for next season. United have applied for introduction at level 2, and will hopefully be accepted. So I should hope the debut comes in August this year, after a virulent Silly Season.

I’ll ad that Newton Heath originally was added to the newly reformed league at second level as well, and look how that has developed ... (mind, it took a few decades before the first league win, so we’ll know what soeed of progress to expect).

Gordon S

Good decision by the club! Feels like Woodward are playing catch up in every area.

Danish Wizard

I'm looking forward to this. I'm working as a youth coach in Denmark and working with some of the most talented girls in the country. I'm happy that the talented girls now have the same opportunity as the boys, and one day might get the represent United. They can now have the dream and with luck and hard work, maybe one day live the dream. Well done United.!

lsd

The Oracle
We really are missing the football aren't we, 2 threads on womens football on the first page of the forum :p

I'm sure tomorrow there will be 3 Manchester united ladies team where will they play?

Then who will be the manager who should they sign etc

Parry Gallister

Going to be following them, might even be able to afford to go more often without breaking the bank.

serxyo

Will the club try to be successful as fast as possible and buy the good players? Or is it a long journey ahead of our women football team. I'll try to watch all the games possible to get to know our players :) can't wait

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good man, but I'm genuinely excited about this team. My daughter can hopefully play one day for MU
It's a nice thought, isn't it? Even just in terms of getting girls interested in football, being able to take them to see women play for Manchester United will help.

Web of Bissaka

:devil: Get Beatriz (FN: Beatriz Zaneratto Joao), 24 year old Brazilian offensive midfielder, powerful skillful dribbler of an attacker. Impressive balance, ball control and goals.

Currently playing at club level in South Korea, so the weather shouldn't be an issue. Regular at National team.

Web of Bissaka

I'm looking forward to this. I'm working as a youth coach in Denmark and working with some of the most talented girls in the country. I'm happy that the talented girls now have the same opportunity as the boys, and one day might get the represent United. They can now have the dream and with luck and hard work, maybe one day live the dream. Well done United.!
Yup, finally the girls and women (Manchester United fans) can dream realistically and can actually fulfill their dream of wanting to play for their girlhood club. It's a good step forward. Good job Woody.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
:devil: Get Beatriz (FN: Beatriz Zaneratto Joao), 24 year old Brazilian offensive midfielder, powerful skillful dribbler of an attacker. Impressive balance, ball control and goals.

Currently playing at club level in South Korea, so the weather shouldn't be an issue. Regular at National team.
Can she play in a midfield two? :D

Denis79

I'm honestly looking forward to following our new United team. Will be fun following from the start.

Web of Bissaka

The next will be the transfer thread ... I’m voting for getting in Caroline Graham Hansen, Lieke Martens and Fran Kirby, but maybe in the United way we should start with growing our own crop first?
Late reply, but anyway.

I'm not too familiar with those players, but anyhow, I think we should try at the start a combination of both promoting our young players (from the "academy" who I think is numerically enough and ready to make the step-up) and going for the win with few strong proven level of footballers. The experience of those higher level players will be useful for our young players. Good bonus if they're United fans. Let's say maybe in the ratio of 14 young players to 6 new experienced players (total of 20).
Nice balance of youth : experience, or 15:5 even 16:4 is fine for a start.

Not that I know much of our Girls' Regional Talent Club situation, but I'm sure enough players are there for the new senior team.

Players who have been at United youth set up and who have international caps or first team experience for other teams:

Izzy Christiansen, England/Man City
Katie Zelem, England/Juventus
Gabbie George, England/Everton
Lynda Sheperd, N Irland/Man City
Emily Hollinshead, Wales/Sheffield United
Ellie Fletcher, England/Liverpool
Emily Ramsay, England/Liverpool
Levi Rathburn, England/Liverpool
Fran Kitching, England/Chelsea
Ella Toon, England(?)/Man City
Maybe, we could poach some of those players back.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’ve no issue with a women’s team at all, it’ll be nice for the club to branch out and give the opportunity to women.

That said I’ll probably never watch it myself.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well said. It's great news and honestly they might prove to be more entertaining than the men's first team.

Danish Wizard

Lyon, Montpellier and Paris doing very well.
Linköping from Sweden also a top team in Europe.
Wolfsburg always a good side.
Barcelona also a top team.
Chelsea and City the best from England.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Womens line - up predictions and match day threads. Can't wait :drool:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Also, Woodward should look into getting Ada Hegerberg from Lyon.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Can anyone confirm the European hierarchy in women's football for me?

I believe Lyon at the number one side but which teams follow?
It's changing really as more leagues and teams go professional. Lyon went through a period of absolute dominance in France, pulling a lot of the best players towards the club. But PSG (with money!) and Montpelier (who seemed to lose players to Lyon) are challenging that now.

Spanish clubs usually have a club up there somewhere - Barcelona currently, it used to be Athletic. Germany as well, Wolfsburg, maybe Bayern. Sweden and Denmark have successful club sides as well.

The UEFA coefficients tell their own story though. https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/47/78/71/2477871_DOWNLOAD.pdf
City and Chelsea are on the rise. City, in particular, came out of nowhere to become a big team and are serious contenders this year.

In honesty that's probably the shape of things to come. The shift from amateur to semi-pro to fulltime pro that's underway will create more good teams at the top, but squeeze out some smaller clubs.

For us, I like the principle expressed by Woodward in United's statement that we expect to base the team on our youth structure. I'm sure we will make detours from that, I wouldn't be surprised if our starting team next year includes some recruits who are WSL1 discards for example, players we take for experience and admittedly because we need the numbers.

At any rate I'm not expecting to see us buy half the England team and become contenders in Europe or England overnight. The club might only be saying those things to reduce expectations and keep the budget under control, but that's OK as well.

Classical Mechanic

It's changing really as more leagues and teams go professional. Lyon went through a period of absolute dominance in France, pulling a lot of the best players towards the club. But PSG (with money!) and Montpelier (who seemed to lose players to Lyon) are challenging that now.

Spanish clubs usually have a club up there somewhere - Barcelona currently, it used to be Athletic. Germany as well, Wolfsburg, maybe Bayern. Sweden and Denmark have successful club sides as well.

The UEFA coefficients tell their own story though. https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/47/78/71/2477871_DOWNLOAD.pdf
City and Chelsea are on the rise. City, in particular, came out of nowhere to become a big team and are serious contenders this year.

In honesty that's probably the shape of things to come. The shift from amateur to semi-pro to fulltime pro that's underway will create more good teams at the top, but squeeze out some smaller clubs.

For us, I like the principle expressed by Woodward in United's statement that we expect to base the team on our youth structure. I'm sure we will make detours from that, I wouldn't be surprised if our starting team next year includes some recruits who are WSL1 discards for example, players we take for experience and admittedly because we need the numbers.

At any rate I'm not expecting to see us buy half the England team and become contenders in Europe or England overnight. The club might only be saying those things to reduce expectations and keep the budget under control, but that's OK as well.
Cheers, looking at this years Champions League and City and Chelsea are leading 2-0 from their quarter final first legs so look good to make it two English sides in the semi finals. It looks like the English game is on the rise, which isn't surprising when you look at the investment at City in particular.

Josep Dowling

I’ve never had an interest in woman’s football but then there has never been a club team that I would support.

Maybe with the woman’s team I might watch some of the WSL now.

Grande

Important work! Maybe you can usher the next Pernille Harder towards United ;)

Late reply, but anyway.

I'm not too familiar with those players, but anyhow, I think we should try at the start a combination of both promoting our young players (from the "academy" who I think is numerically enough and ready to make the step-up) and going for the win with few strong proven level of footballers. The experience of those higher level players will be useful for our young players. Good bonus if they're United fans. Let's say maybe in the ratio of 14 young players to 6 new experienced players (total of 20).
Nice balance of youth : experience, or 15:5 even 16:4 is fine for a start.

Not that I know much of our Girls' Regional Talent Club situation, but I'm sure enough players are there for the new senior team.

Maybe, we could poach some of those players back.
I agree very much with all you wrote. Only concern is maybe that leaning too heavily on the youth og now may deplete the youth set up of it’s core and continuation, which is important for forming a good environment for development.

I’ve never had an interest in woman’s football but then there has never been a club team that I would support.

Maybe with the woman’s team I might watch some of the WSL now.
That maybe is in fact a very important testimony to the importance of this side! Thank you.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Any goal from outside the 6 yard box is a "screamer". Womens football is shite. 9/10 goals you look at the keeper and think what are you doing.
Check out the last goal in this one, it's at 3:30'ish.
Was scored this weekend.
I think there were several good goals in this one

Grande

Check out the last goal in this one, it's at 3:30'ish.
Was scored this weekend.
I think there were several good goals in this one

You must be evil to peddle the vile deeds of The Canaries to innocent eyes. Enga!

That aside, it’s worth noting the energy level of the audience in an admittedly to big a stadium. Compare this to the level of enthusiasm for a local event of eg 100m sprint men/women. Football is important, regqrdless of gender or numbers!

El Zoido

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on our women’s team, I bet there’s loads of players in the women’s game that would love to pull on an United shirt so it’ll be interesting to see how the team could progress.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lyon, Montpellier and Paris doing very well.
Linköping from Sweden also a top team in Europe.
Wolfsburg always a good side.
Barcelona also a top team.
Chelsea and City the best from England.
Arsenal WFC is in decline?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Once we have been accepted i am hoping there will be decent tv deals. I think BT currently have the rights?