Manchester United's Chief Scout and Head of Global Scouting have left the club

L1nk

My thinking is similar. Don't know what they had taken on board from what they offered to state whether they did a good or bad job. If you're putting forth reports and highlighting concerns and yet still the club is buying these players, that's not any slight on you or the job you did. Bruno, it was said scouts were wary of his wastefulness and propensity for ill-considered actions; he was still bought. Maguire, there were concerns about; he was still bought.

So if they are being bypassed, it's not their heads that should be the first to roll.
I guess the point is that until Richard Arnold came in, Murtough and this new football structure had no real power in making these decisions, now that they do they have seen whats happened and are taking action to improve it and streamline it, make it better. Hopefully this means not only better scouts, but actual good football people who will listen to these scouts and make the decisions of who to buy along with these scouts

yamo123x

They have bought in no one, no jewels in the crown.

Always too late to the party, on Haaland, Bellingham could have saved us millions

Time for new regime, time for complete restructure

SirAnderson

I'm just hoping this means we're putting in a structure for Ten Hag to concede. As you say it's a mix of scouting and the manager, if we get in replacements that align with Ten Hag's thoughts more than the current crop, that's good news to me. Remains to be seen if that's the case though.
Will he be conceding like we did last night?

Matt007a

Given Ralf's comments earlier this week I presume he is the one pushing these changes to the recruitment team. I'm all for it given our track record. Bruno is the only transfer we've made in the last 5 years who would be considered a good signing for a good price.

Whether he's been a good manager or not, we shouldn't forget that his real expertise is club building off the pitch. Hopefully he can continue driving positive changes like this in the future. We know from his press conferences that he can see where the problems are and is not afraid to call people out on it. His honesty has been refreshing.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Refreshing - the moves made in the backroom in the last 3 or 4 months are encouraging.

Infra-red

We don't know if these two were any good, but someone has to carry the can for the appalling recruitment at the club over the last decade. £800m spent on absolute dross and now we're once again looking at a complete rebuild. Frankly, I'd rather go in to that rebuild with some fresh ideas from new people, because it is clear that Lawler and Bout et al have fundamentally failed.

I'm sure that Rangnick publicly criticising our recruitment put these guys on borrowed time, and Ten Hag reportedly tearing our transfer policy to shreds in his interview, was maybe the final straw. Perhaps with Bout and Lawlor gone, some confidence will be restored.

Matt851

Not sure if this is a good thing or not but ever since Ralf came in and started asking questions people have started leaving. You have to wonder how cushy those roles where and just how accountable they've been before now.

Either way, you can't with a serious face recommend Maguire, Pogba, Lukaku, fecking everyone, and still keep your job. I reckon I could have done a decent job by recommending FM players.
Do you actually believe the scouts / recruitment team recommended those players though?

Maguire and AWB appear to have been digned because ole decided to buy the best of British in those positions.

Pogba seems like a typical Ed signing.

I suspect that between the owners , Ed and manager the scouting team is often sidelined.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I guess the point is that until Richard Arnold came in, Murtough and this new football structure had no real power in making these decisions, now that they do they have seen whats happened and are taking action to improve it and streamline it, make it better. Hopefully this means not only better scouts, but actual good football people who will listen to these scouts and make the decisions of who to buy along with these scouts
I know nothing of the scouting world to say whether they were top notch, average or rubbish at their jobs, and ultimately, they may well have been poor and that would be reason enough for them to be let go. But yeah, I hope this is a move for the better across the board and wholesale changes for the better are being made.

crossy1686

career ending
Do you actually believe the scouts / recruitment team recommended those players though?

Maguire and AWB appear to have been digned because ole decided to buy the best of British in those positions.

I suspect that between the owners , Ed and manager the scouting team is often sidelined.
They still recommended him as the best option:

Manchester United have 'heavily scouted' highly-rated Crystal Palace youngster Aaron Wan-Bissaka on a number of occasions since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer became caretaker manager in December, according to reports.
It's fine to give your scouts some criteria but they have fallen short every single time we've made a signing. I bet none of them knew that Bellingham even existed until he hit the headlines. Ask anyone in Birmingham and they knew how good he was.

They're just piss poor and have become so complacent it's embarrassing.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Hopefully Ralf is replacing Murtough.
Why? What on earth has Murtough done in such little time in his role? Things are moving in the background since Murtough and Ralph came in.

Utterly clueless opinions on Murtough from certain individuals.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Good. £130m on Maguire and Bissaka should get you sacked at any football club.

L1nk

They still recommended him as the best option:

It's fine to give your scouts some criteria but they have fallen short every single time we've made a signing. I bet none of them knew that Bellingham even existed until he hit the headlines. Ask anyone in Birmingham and they knew how good he was.

They're just piss poor and have become so complacent it's embarrassing.
Jim Lawlor may have been good one time when he was at United but it became majorly stale maybe. Also Bout came in as a coach with LVG and was changed into a Scout, who knows if he was even good at it!? Judging from our recent past i'd say not. Like you say the fact none of them even saw Bellingham until he was making headlines is insane

tomaldinho1

Whether or not they were good or bad (I guess it depends on if you believe the story they were against Maguire etc but we’re overruled) we generally need a shake up and big changes in these key roles.

I will be surprised if Fletcher is here next season unless he’s just a coach (which would be fine) and there are probably many changes going on we don’t see in the general scouting teams around the world.

led_scholes

Don't get listened to most likely. For example we were one of the first clubs to scout Haaland, before anyone really knew he existed. That doesn't happen by chance. And there's no way they didn't recommend him after watching him in those games.
Maybe because he was playing under Ole, so he told them to check him.
But the fact that they didn't understand that he is a generational talent and we should buy him no matter what (around 5 millions), then more questionmarks appear.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
In this club it doesn't really matters, call it how you like with all those made up roles names.

The main thing that Mitchell will be the one who in charge on recruitment.
That's down to Murtough.

Scouts aren't in charge of recruitment. Scouts, scout players. That's all they do.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why? What on earth has Murtough done in such little time in his role? Things are moving in the background since Murtough and Ralph came in.

Utterly clueless opinions on Murtough from certain individuals.
What experience does he have in the job? Why have we handled Pogba 400k a week contract? Why it took us so much time to sack Ole? Was it a good idea to go for a temporary manager whose system is poorly suited to our team? Wasn't Murtough part of the same transfer committee which brought us talent like Mcshane, Heaton + injury prone relics like Cavani and Varane?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
They have bought in no one, no jewels in the crown.

Always too late to the party, on Haaland, Bellingham could have saved us millions

Time for new regime, time for complete restructure
We tried to sign Haaland and Bellingham before they signed for Dortmund to be fair.

But yeah, the scouting department has been nothing short of shambolic - no good signings in close to a decade.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
In before the "...Man Utd waiting to fill scouting positions before looking to make any signings." stories.

Lentwood

Yes. If not, who are they recommending?

When was the last time we signed a player who was an unqualified success? When did we last unearth a gem or get a bargain?

Ralf claimed recently that he asked for reports on a few of the best young players in the Bundeasliga and we didn't even know who the players were, let alone have reports on them. Its unacceptable.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well, I am assuming Murtough appointed Ralf? So if he appointed him and is humble enough to listen to his opinions and act on his advice, we're ready orders of magnitude better off than when Ed Woodward had the job.
Well Murtough is Woodward's man. The guy enjoyed multiple promotions under the Ed

Dan600

Very interesting... Who's decision was it? Was it mutual? Did they leave before they were pushed? If it's a club decision, is it a Murtough decision, Rangnick or even Ten Hag? I want to be hopeful about this, but Lawlor in particular has been at the club for just shy of 20 years, dating back to 2005 if I'm correct? Shows in various places as chief analyst 2005-2013, before a promotion to chief scout in 2014. The common denominator is likely Ferguson himself given his retirement, but when he was analyst, at a glance you could say the hit/miss on player signings was close to 60/40 in favour of hits. After his promotion to chief scout/Fergie's retirement this has probably reversed to somewhere near 35/65 in favour of misses. On top of that we also started spending a lot more money on those misses, market inflation granted etc...

Have no idea how Lawlor did his job, and the hit/miss is really more likely due to the Fergie effect on those players, I imagine if you swapped the players/managers around, it may still be a similar story with SAF making those players successes or even vetoing them. I'm less versed on Marcel Bout, I only know he came in with Van Gaal, and I've read/heard people mention he had a coaching background more before he came to us so I don't know how he ending up in the recruitment side.

I also begin to wonder if this is what Rangnick was speaking to Paul Mitchell about, maybe not in terms of him getting any role, but in terms of discussing the jobs they were doing, what they should be doing, and whether they were any good in what they were doing, and maybe also any potential replacements for them in their contacts?

I hope this is a good thing and the start of a restructure, but if there is anything I've learnt recently, it is not to automatically assume that it is the start of something better, it could always get worse...

L1nk

I think this is ignoring the fact that Murtough and our new football department weren't in charge or had any power to marginalise Jim. So I think this does mean a change, even if its a small one

L1nk

'The decision was taken by the club amid complaints over United’s recruitment method, in which too many star players have underperformed.

In recent years, Paul Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, Donny van de Beek and Raphael Varane are just four of numerous signings who have failed to live up to either their fee or reputation.

United are determined to drive change under football director John Murtough and these decisions are viewed as the start of that process.'