Manutd.com's Goal of the Season

Brightonian

Personally I was surprised how often the much maligned Rooney is involved.
Strange isn't it. It's almost as if - whenever I watch the actual football, rather than the back pages of The Sun - he's had a decent if injury-struck season, and still performed better than the vast majority of the players in the league, and most of those in our own team. But naaah.

As for the goals, it's narrowly Rafael's screamer, for me. People often don't like to do for piledrivers because off the ground there are a lot of players who get a couple a season because they try it constantly. But Rafael doesn't normally go for those, and it's a fecking volley. That has to be enough to win it, surely. Although there are arguments for RVP's volley, obviously

Lots of talking points too. Originally I was one of those who thought Cleverley meant his, but listening to Crerand 'protest too much' has actually convinced me otherwise. There's nothing like hearing someone say 'He meant that! It's a good goal because he meant it! It's amazing because he meant to do that!' to convince you that he didn't mean to do that.

We talk about two-footed players in the squad - RVP, Kagawa, Nani - but what about Rafael's goal vs Liverpool? That's his 'weak' foot!

Arguably the best touch in that video isn't any of the goals, but RVP bringing Giggs' long ball down flawlessly - it basically rolls onto the ground - with the outside of his foot, full-stride, mid-sprint. That's a superhuman touch.

binary bot
A distinct lack of wing-play featuring Valencia/Nani/Young. Not even one assist :(

Contrast that with last years;

Anyway;

Rafael vs QPR
RvP vs West Ham
RvP vs Villa

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Arguably the best touch in that video isn't any of the goals, but RVP bringing Giggs' long ball down flawlessly - it basically rolls onto the ground - with the outside of his foot, full-stride, mid-sprint. That's a superhuman touch.
Yeah it was just incredible. There have been some great moments this season. That touch and RvP's volley against Villa left me stunned. I didn't jump up and celebrate, I just sat in my chair in shock and admiration.

If the stories about Rooney asking to leave again are true then I won't be sad to see him go. Nonetheless I think that he has had an underrated season. As you mentioned he has been injured a few times yet he has still produced good stats and had some big moments. His performance against City away and his goal against Fulham away were crucial moments in our season.

It is funny how when Aguero or David Silva are out of form, people on this forum seek to make excuses for them 'he is tired', 'he has been injured' and so on. Yet when Rooney under performs there seems to be an appetite for crucifixion!

That said, I was disappointed with his levels of performance after he had been dropped against Madrid. If he does leave then it is going to be very hard to replace him with similar quality.

Platato

Psst!
Not sure how Rafael's goal is goal of the season

Rvp v Villa
RvP v West Ham
Rafael v QPR

LR7

I voted yesterday for Rafael's v QPR. I've just watched that video again and was laughing my head off at Robin falling in the hole!

Wigan's defending for Powell's goal was truly disgusting! They gave Chicharito all the time in the world to decide what he was going to do then let him casually just roll the ball to Powell whilst every Wigan player just looked on gormlessly. I don't know why I'm letting it irritate me but that defending must frustrate their fans.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
For a season where we looked quite disjointed at times...what a phenomenal list of choices. RVP probably clean sweeps the top three for me. He's like a Van Nistelrooy who fluffs some easy ones but scores a load of beauties to say sorry.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
A distinct lack of wing-play featuring Valencia/Nani/Young. Not even one assist :(

Contrast that with last years;

Anyway;

Rafael vs QPR
RvP vs West Ham
RvP vs Villa
Loved that kit and that Nani goal vs Chelsea was :drool::drool:

as a big Rafael fan I loved both his goals but I don't think you can go away from either Rvp goals - The West Ham one just is perfection from pass to touch to finish and considering the timing of it and away from home. Brilliant stuff.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Not enough appreciation for Tom Cleverley's goal against Newcastle back in October. What a hit.
It was gorgeous, and I'm reluctant to start denigrating brilliance, but there's always a fair amount of long range screamers in any given season. Van Persie's efforts were something else.

Mad Winger

RvP vs Villa
RvP vs West Ham
RvP vs Fulham

Longshot goals are visually pleasing, but they are bound to go in eventually. That is why Rooney, Rafael and Cleverley doesn't deserve to win this.

Personally, I love team work goals the most. That is why I wanted to see Kagawa's third goal against Norwich, and not the second. That goal had everything I love. Determination, team work, speed, technique, clever short-passing, individual flair, and a classy finish. What makes it even more splendid is the fact that only 3 players played a part in the goal(Welbeck, Rooney, Kagawa), despite Norwich having their entire defense perfectly organized.

It's not a better goal than RvP's against Villa, but it would definitely make my top 3 list.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Rooney (1st) vs citeh away should be the goal of the season. Majestic trickle into the net that left hart standing like a statue.

LR7

Rooney (1st) vs citeh away should be the goal of the season. Majestic trickle into the net that left hart standing like a statue.
Trickle is definitely the best word to describe that goal! It took what felt like ages to roll into the net! :lol:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Van Persie at West ham is the fecking best thing ever.

Best away of the season, and then that in stoppage time, unreal.

Brightonian

Rooney against Norwich an underrated goal? Went past a man and smashed it home from 25 yards.
It was a beautiful goal, topping off an incredible performance. You rarely see two players combine as well for 90 minutes as Kagawa and Rooney did that day. Based on that performance alone, we should be trying to keep him.

People talk about him losing his explosiveness, but he still gets one or two beautiful goals from distance into these polls season after season.

Siorac

Cleverley's goal against Sunderland should be on the list, that was a great move and a classy finish.