Maradona appreciation thread | Rest in peace, golden boy.

Green_Red

The only real memories I have of him are Italia 90 and USA 94. Wouldn't have seen much of him at club level at all. But watching clips on YouTube he has serious skills.

Some of the passes are insane

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nothing special mate really, poor mans Welbeck.

Everybody looks good on Youtube.

Dobbs

Isn't this just a thread for the sake of it? I mean surely you know the answer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should change the thread title to Maradonna appreciation or something. It's obvious how good he was really isn't it.
It might help if you spelt his name right, people might know who you're talking about :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Better than your spelling, mate.

EDIT: And the title's been changed...

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I love how dirty those defenders are in those clips, trying to foul him when he's dribbling. One dribble had about 4-5 red card offences in them, in today's game. :lol:

Best player I ever saw.

Ronaldo was possibly better for a season or two before his injury but that's it.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
How good was Maradona? Well it cannot be said in words, still will try.
Blessed with possibly the best left foot in the history of football and a vision second to none.
At his peak, he was almost unstoppable, either he would glide past the defense to score/assist, or create chances for his team mates with his inch perfect goal passes from ridiculous angles. The most important thing about Maradona was an individual drive, something like George Best had. Like he tried to take everything by himself. For Example Zico, who was as talented as Maradona and was even more complete in certain aspects of the game(passing, shooting and orchesting the midfield), but what made Maradona better was unlike Zico, Maradona had that edge, where he used to take on things by himself while Zico although capable lacked that extra grit which Maradona had.
He would want to win by any means, while he was brave enough to ride tackles and bear so much abuse, at the same time, he was also a pathetic diver and cheat.

Best player I ever saw.

Ronaldo was possibly better for a season or two before his injury but that's it.
Nope, peak R9, while really surreal and devastating, was not anything like peak Maradona.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sly

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
My favourite player ever. Saw him live at the old Alvalade with Napoli against Sporting.

:drool:

I saw Messi live as well a week ago, so i can proudly say that i saw live the two best players in Argentine football history. Maradona still remains my favourite.

Yakuza_devils

He is the best player of all time and is a God in Argentina.

He single handedly lead a shit Argentina Team in WC 86 and WC 90 to be champion and runner up. No other player come close to him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dude didn't even train. Few times he'd show uo at the training ground, he'd spend an hour doing bicycle kicks while everybody else did fitness training, then he'd play a little in 5/8-a-side the end the session, and that was it. His pre-game warm up was him doing crazy stuff with the ball(such as running the full lenght of the pitch a couple times touching the ball with only his shoulders, left-right-left-right) while everyone else did actual warm up stuff :lol:

Greatest ever. Though if you ask Maldini or Costacurta, they think ronaldo(pre-injury) was even better

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
For me it's absurd how much natural talent this man had. He truly is the best ever. The one and only i could watch all day. I have faint memories of watching him on TV but it's always a delight to go back and revive the memory with those videos. Like giorno said, he didn't need to polish his body like modern footballers, he just showed up and did whatever he needed to. It's like he was picked by God and Devil as he has both sides, which is also what makes him so special.

AKDevil

Also there are a couple of good documentaries on him I watched this week on you tube. One is the 30 for 30 ESPN one and the other is the BBC doc after he got done for cocaine at the 1994 World Cup. Bob Wilson narrated the second one.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He wasn't that far ahead of the likes of Platini or Zico as some people seem to think but he was definitely the best of his generation and maybe even the greatest of all time, certainly up there no matter how you look at it. In terms of natural talent only Messi is comparable.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Nope, peak R9, while really surreal and devastating, was not anything like peak Maradona.
I never saw peak R9 (saw him post 2002) but from YT videos I think he is kinda overrated. One of the greatest of all times for sure but I think CR7 is easily better yet people compare him to Maradona

shamans

Dude didn't even train. Few times he'd show uo at the training ground, he'd spend an hour doing bicycle kicks while everybody else did fitness training, then he'd play a little in 5/8-a-side the end the session, and that was it. His pre-game warm up was him doing crazy stuff with the ball(such as running the full lenght of the pitch a couple times touching the ball with only his shoulders, left-right-left-right) while everyone else did actual warm up stuff :lol:

Greatest ever. Though if you ask Maldini or Costacurta, they think ronaldo(pre-injury) was even better
Honest question: Not trying to question you but what is the source of "he didn't train" that people often say? I just find it hard to believe...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wasn't that far ahead of the likes of Platini or Zico as some people seem to think but he was definitely the best of his generation and maybe even the greatest of all time, certainly up there no matter how you look at it. In terms of natural talent only Messi is comparable.
Well duh :lol:. For one thing, Platini and Zico were ending their careers when Maradona entered his prime, for another, it's Platini and Zico. And Maradona in his prime was clearly a level above they ever had been

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honest question: Not trying to question you but what is the source of "he didn't train" that people often say? I just find it hard to believe...
Former teammates

shamans

Former teammates
Hmmm. I will look into it. Though I do feel there's always an element of exaggeration with these kinds of things. Even if he was the most talented being on the planet you need to train with the team so the team plays well you know.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I never saw peak R9 (saw him post 2002) but from YT videos I think he is kinda overrated. One of the greatest of all times for sure but I think CR7 is easily better yet people compare him to Maradona
Some defenders who played against both Ronaldo and Maradona hold that Ronaldo was better. And Ronaldo was insane. Cristiano was never as good as him at his best

TheSpaceman

Around 13:40... does one of the defenders just say feck it and spike the ball with his hand? lmao

shamans

Some defenders who played against both Ronaldo and Maradona hold that Ronaldo was better. And Ronaldo was insane. Cristiano was never as good as him at his best
Sorry but in this case I'd have to go with individual records/achievements. What CR7 is doing, Ronaldo was nowhere near all of that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ronaldo Fenómeno is a could have been, so we can't really say that for sure. And plus: Maradona was already in the later phase of his career at 94, after terrible injuries and drug abuse.

Ronaldo fenómeno didn't care much about fitness. He would go out every night, only do minimal effort on training, etc. This combined with the "lack of good genes" determined his injuries.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Best player I've ever seen and probably ever will. Ronaldo was about the closest you'll ever see to how good he was, in my generation anyway.

Messi and t'other Ronaldo are in a league of their own at present to any other player, Maradona and Ronaldo Lima a league above them both.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Some defenders who played against both Ronaldo and Maradona hold that Ronaldo was better.
Maradona was better than Ronaldo at everything but finishing, to be honest.

Home&Away

You can't compare Maradona, Ronaldo or C Ronaldo - their era's was totally different. As much as I love C Ronaldo aswell as Messi; they would struggle more regularly in the peak seria A than they have been doing.

Also tactically, defences are sh*te these days & has been for a whilst