Marc Cucurella - World Class Hairdo

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I can't believe we're actually getting rid of him and weakening a top 4 rival at the same time. Great success!*

*If you discount the fact that we bought him in the first place.

flameinthesun

Whilst I'm not a big fan of this signing at least I hope we have an option to buy. Not saying he will be great but the whole Chelsea team were terrible last season so it wouldn't be the craziest thing if he ended up performing well for us. At the very least I think he'd provide good overlaps for Rashford.

Adamsk7

If this thread was 12 months ago we’d all be wetting ourselves. He’s had one good year and one bad year. We just don’t know what player we’re gonna get but there’s at least a 50% chance it might be a brilliant bit of business. Worst case, he’s covering Shaw’s injury

I think it’s a good deal

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If this thread was 12 months ago we’d all be wetting ourselves. He’s had one good year and one bad year. We just don’t know what player we’re gonna get but there’s at least a 50% chance it might be a brilliant bit of business. Worst case, he’s covering Shaw’s injury

I think it’s a good deal
Chelsea fans probably said the same when they signed Falcao tbf.

I’m not gonna moan too much if this does actually happen, it is what it is. He could make us all look very daft, hopefully he does.

Giggsy13

What do those cherry-picked stats prove? Shaw had at least a couple of seasons better than that one which got him both times in the PFA team of the year.
So he’s good but not as good as Shaw? That sounds pretty good given our predicament.

JuriM

Chelsea fans probably said the same when they signed Falcao tbf.

I’m not gonna moan too much if this does actually happen, it is what it is. He could make us all look very daft, hopefully he does.
Well, he was really good at Getafe and continued his form at Brighton instantly. Chelsea seemingly was just a broken team by the time he arrived there and they played him in CB also, which isn't his strength.

Ekeke

I think it’s a good deal
He had 1 assist and 1 goal in the good year. He certainly looked a promising young player 18 months ago but he was still a work in progress then, let alone after that poor season. He might be a good stand in while our other leftbacks are injured. If Chelsea are paying a lot of his wages that'll be fine enough

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I see Caf have to be miserable about literally every transfer. I personally look forward to the lad coming here and maybe regain his amazing from from Brighton.
He was amazing, wasn't he? Best left back in the country.

RedStarUnited

He had 1 assist and 1 goal in the good year. He certainly looked a promising young player 18 months ago but he was still a work in progress then, let alone after that poor season. He might be a good stand in while our other leftbacks are injured. If Chelsea are paying a lot of his wages that'll be fine enough
Ha! and ironically the assist was against Chelsea, the goal was against us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if we’re still expected to cover his wages if we’re paying £7m loan fee? If not, then this is a fair deal IMO as it works out about £135k a week
I’ve never known a big club to take a player on loan where they didn’t at least cover half the wages, if not the full wages on top of a loan fee. Chelsea would be dumb to agree to pay his wages when the biggest positive about his deal from a Chelsea POV is getting his wage off the books for a year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The worrying thing obviously is that Poch didn’t try to keep him or play him at all. Obviously he is better than the other options but there are a lot of question marks on him as well.
I actually think there’s a decent player in there somewhere. He featured a decent amount in preseason for us but he made a big error that led to a goal vs Newcastle and I don’t think he’s seen a single minute since. He has seemingly fallen behind even Colwill at LB.

cfcjb

Supports
Chelsea FC
If he were to come to United your fan base would become cuckoo for Cucu. Cuckoo! for Cucu.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Transfers between Chelsea and United don't tend to work that well...

Veron
Falcao
Mikel
Mount bite

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Transfers between Chelsea and United don't tend to work that well...

Veron
Falcao
Mikel
Mount bite
If it goes as well as Mata I’ll be happy

Also not sure you can count falcao or mikel as being between the clubs

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Going of his Brighton form he was very good. Not seen much of him at Chelsea…

Ekeke

Another thing to consider is Brighton have changed since then. They were playing wingbacks when Cucurella was there with Lamptey at right wingback. We dont play wingbacks, we play fullbacks... Playing leftback for Chelsea he didnt look good.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Maybe it can work with the more defensive Wan-Bissaka on the opposite flank. Malacia and Shaw injuries must be worse than reported.

quadrant

Hardly inspiring but there’s enough there to give some hope. He was shite at Chelsea but they had a freak of a season and he was very good at Brighton. He’s good at the kind of rotational shifts that ETH wants. And at the end of the day it’s a loan, we’ll have two other left backs available long before the seasons end and if he shite, he won’t be in the team at the business end of the season. Low risk so I can live with it.

gaffs

I think it’s a good deal
Im not sure how it could be brilliant business.

Shaw is out for 2 months. Let's say, at worse, its 3 months.

We are going to pay about 5 mil + 175k a week for a year. That is 12million for a player who we may only need for 3 months. Possibly less if Malacia returns before Shaw. Effectively, that could be a mil a week.

If he does play great, he may keep Shaw out of the team, and he then goes back to Chelsea as a better player / better prospect for a sale.

KjaAnd

We're so badly run it's not even funny anymore. With Cucurella, we will have one of the slowest and weakest starting 11's in the league. Our lack of physicality is already costing us and it will only get worse if this deal goes through.

I just don't understand why we seem set on sabotaging ourselves in every little thing we do. It's beyond stupid.

Abraxas

I'm not sure he'll ever justify what Chelsea paid for him. There's something about playing for Brighton with relatively low expectation and the whole setup, ethos and coaching down there that makes players look really good. When you get to this level it's a completely different question being asked.

That said, it's pretty good for a last minute left-back on loan. What can you expect really in that situation. Even if it was 7 million I don't think that's the end of the world, it values him at 28-35 million over a normal contract length (i.e. not Chelsea style ridiculous ones). Would we be happy paying that for Cucurella...probably not, but we'd also be paying for a bit of convenience at this late stage and we get to cut our losses if he's horrendous. You could say it's just putting him in the shop window for Chelsea but I don't think we care about that, it's more about our immediate needs than concern about what Chelsea do with him in future.

The Firestarter

I see Caf have to be miserable about literally every transfer. I personally look forward to the lad coming here and maybe regain his amazing from from Brighton.
Well maybe you slept through Sancho, Antony, Casemiro , Onana, etc transfers.

Gordon S

We`re actually buying a third LB because of injuries.
Dalot has died? If not, he is just not that bad. Fernandez couldn`t play a game or two there? That kid was doing ok in the championship.

Well, here`s hoping he is better than our last couple of loanees at least.

Dannn411

He's still a good player IMO but only in a specific kind of system. Possession-based with a moderate to deep defensive line like at Potter's Brighton. The reason i'm scratching my head on the signing is he is the exact opposite kind of player suited to the way Ten Hag has been playing this season which is playing very high lines and committing everybody but 3 players forward leaving us vulnerable to counters. That system requires defenders quick on their feet that can cover ground and recover quickly. Cucurella is slow for a full back and will get done every time on the counter. So its either Ten Hag has realised the folly of his system and wants to go back to last year's deep line or this is just a baffling signing for the money being brandished around. For that money might as well just sign him outright.

Abraxas

He's still a good player IMO but only in a specific kind of system. Possession-based with a moderate to deep defensive line like at Potter's Brighton. The reason i'm scratching my head on the signing is he is the exact opposite kind of player suited to the way Ten Hag has been playing this season which is playing very high lines and committing everybody but 3 players forward leaving us vulnerable to counters. That system requires defenders quick on their feet that can cover ground and recover quickly. Cucurella is slow for a full back and will get done every time on the counter. So its either Ten Hag has realised the folly of his system and wants to go back to last year's deep line or this is just a baffling signing for the money being brandished around. For that money might as well just sign him outright.
He's slow, unsuitable and baffling as a signing but we may as well sign him outright because we are considering plucking up 7 million?

Not sure that makes any sense as a bit of logic. If there was any uncertainty over him then it's far more prudent to have a loan where our risks are moderated and we don't take on a player permanently on huge wages. If we signed him and he flopped he'd be heading back to Getafe for 8 million, probably about a quarter of what we'd have to pay Chelsea with us subsiding 75% of his wages.

C'est Moi Cantona

I hope we have a set option on him if we do it, just on the off chance he does really well for us, we are not here to increase the value of a player for Chelsea of all clubs.