Marc Cucurella - World Class Hairdo

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Im not sure how it could be brilliant business.

Shaw is out for 2 months. Let's say, at worse, its 3 months.

We are going to pay about 5 mil + 175k a week for a year. That is 12million for a player who we may only need for 3 months. Possibly less if Malacia returns before Shaw. Effectively, that could be a mil a week.

If he does play great, he may keep Shaw out of the team, and he then goes back to Chelsea as a better player / better prospect for a sale.
Along with helping us finish top 4 and possibly winning a trophy.

m1tch

I hope we have a set option on him if we do it, just on the off chance he does really well for us, we are not here to increase the value of a player for Chelsea of all clubs.
That's probably the reason Chelsea might entertain loaning him to us.

Negative: if he plays well and often then it's helping out a direct rival.
Positive: if he plays well and often then it'll increase his value.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maybe this means Shaw will play LCB when he returns on rotation too

worldinmotion66

So the consensus is that he’s not a particularly good defender, so we can expect him to be more useful going forward.

His attacking return in his best season in England amounts to one goal and one assist.

His replacement at Brighton, Estupinan, already has one goal and two assists this season.

I know that the game is far more than these figures, but it’s still a pretty damning indictment of our transfer policy.

C'est Moi Cantona

That's probably the reason Chelsea might entertain loaning him to us.

Negative: if he plays well and often then it's helping out a direct rival.
Positive: if he plays well and often then it'll increase his value.
Well, I want an option then, even if it's silly money.

I hate the idea of helping Chelsea in any way at all.

Jackal

So the consensus is that he’s not a particularly good defender, so we can expect him to be more useful going forward.

His attacking return in his best season in England amounts to one goal and one assist.

His replacement at Brighton, Estupinan, already has one goal and two assists this season.

I know that the game is far more than these figures, but it’s still a pretty damning indictment of our transfer policy.
Ten Hag's Talent ID is in the pits.

It's so awful.

Zoo

Ten Hag's Talent ID is in the pits.

It's so awful.
It’s an emergency loan. Have ripped into Cucurella myself but can’t really expect any better in the final week of the window.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

what I find funny about these reports is that personal terms on loans are limited, maybe covering accommodation and travel only from experience? (league 2 only I admit). Mostly relates to the covering of wages which will be dealt with by the club.
Actually it could be more meaningful - may indicate that there is a purchase clause that's at least feasibly attainable and the personal terms are on converting the loan to a permanent deal.

buckooo1978

he was an impressive player at Brighton

as we've seen at United at times a team in chaos results in players across the team underperforming and who came out of last season with any credit for Chelsea?

Hope we wrap this up quickly

strandty

Actually it could be more meaningful - may indicate that there is a purchase clause that's at least feasibly attainable and the personal terms are on converting the loan to a permanent deal.
But then that’d be more towards terms with the selling club rather than the player themselves. Using the players terms in relation to a loan deal is just a way to gain Twitter traffic in my eyes. The player has no terms to agree to as long as the teams agree to terms with one another. Then as long as the player wants to join said club, it happens.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
But then that’d be more towards terms with the selling club rather than the player themselves. Using the players terms in relation to a loan deal is just a way to gain Twitter traffic in my eyes. The player has no terms to agree to as long as the teams agree to terms with one another, as long as they want to join said club.
Yeah, beyond hotel and transport, I’m not sure what the feck personal terms have to do with a loan deal. He already has a contract and that isn’t being altered.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, beyond hotel and transport, I’m not sure what the feck personal terms have to do with a loan deal. He already has a contract and that isn’t being altered.
If personal terms means it should be most likely obligation to buy than option to buy. If that is the case then eth likes the player despite last season struggles and put faith in him.Have a good age profile too.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

The few really top performances we’ve gotten out of Cucu have been defensive ones. His attacking play has been literally nonexistent since we bought him. On the occasions when we are forced to defend deep and He has all the play in front of him he’s a very solid defender. His problems come on counter attacks or when the ball is suddenly turned over and he’s isolated in space. That’s when he switches off repeatedly and gets caught out. That’s when the disastrous howlers have occurred.

But yeah, in an attacking sense he has been invisible. Has done none of what he did for Brighton where he was a legit attacking threat. He has looked terrified of getting forward and possibly making a mistake. So he just plays it safe. Doesn’t really cross the ball, doesn’t try to take on anyone, rarely overlaps.

Perhaps a change of scenery and a manager who fancies him will give him confidence. It’s why I think he’ll do alright for you guys.

strandty

If personal terms means it should be most likely obligation to buy than option to buy. If that is the case then eth likes the player despite last season struggles and put faith in him.Have a good age profile too.
Then again, they wouldn’t discuss this if it’s for a basic loan deal. Fab, as much as I appreciate what he does is just bedding out tweets in this case. As long as we match what Chelsea want us to cover and the player wants to come, it’s simple and easy to conclude.

cfcjb

Supports
Chelsea FC
I can't believe we're actually getting rid of him and weakening a top 4 rival at the same time. Great success!*

*If you discount the fact that we bought him in the first place.
HA! Indeed, this.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
But then that’d be more towards terms with the selling club rather than the player themselves. Using the players terms in relation to a loan deal is just a way to gain Twitter traffic in my eyes. The player has no terms to agree to as long as the teams agree to terms with one another. Then as long as the player wants to join said club, it happens.
But the point is if there is an obligate purchase clause, personal terms with the player have to be agreed for the potential permanent deal before the initial loan deal can be concluded.

worldinmotion66

The few really top performances we’ve gotten out of Cucu have been defensive ones. His attacking play has been literally nonexistent since we bought him. On the occasions when we are forced to defend deep and He has all the play in front of him he’s a very solid defender. His problems come on counter attacks or when the ball is suddenly turned over and he’s isolated in space. That’s when he switches off repeatedly and gets caught out. That’s when the disastrous howlers have occurred.

But yeah, in an attacking sense he has been invisible. Has done none of what he did for Brighton where he was a legit attacking threat. He has looked terrified of getting forward and possibly making a mistake. So he just plays it safe. Doesn’t really cross the ball, doesn’t try to take on anyone, rarely overlaps.

Perhaps a change of scenery and a manager who fancies him will give him confidence. It’s why I think he’ll do alright for you guys.
Thanks for the insight. The issue I foresee is that we tend to have a good amount of possession, especially at home against the weaker sides. Consequently we look most uncomfortable in transition and that has been exploited frequently this season. If it’s also a glaring weakness of his, I can’t see why we’d consider him a solution to our problem. It feels like just as big of a gamble as throwing Fernandez in at the deep end or relying on Dalot/Martinez potentially to get us through the early months of the season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is he more attacking than Luke Shaw? What’s he like defensively?

kaku06

I’m all for this signing. Don’t let his last year with chelsea fool you. He’s a quality player.

mav_9me

What can you even expect as a last minute emergency cover for LB? I am just ecstatic it's not Alonso.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Found this video on YouTube and he might actually be the best player in the world

Trequarista10

He actually played a fair bit as an inverted LB/LCB at Brighton. Somewhat like City's full backs now that Stones joins midfield from CB rather than the full backs. That's to say Cucurella started on paper at LB in a 4, but in possession he'd often be at LCB in a back 3. Which might somewhat explain his lack of productivity. I liked him when he was playing in Spain, he has good technique and drive. Not sure he quite has the pace to be a flying wing back in the Prem though, which I suspect is why he hasn't done as well here. I think he's well suited to the inverted full back role though which we're currently playing. Not sure about him defensively though.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Me neither. And worse than that, signining Cucurella on loan also means disavowing one of our most promising academy products in the process.
The reality behind this deal is that our academy products are dreadful and have been for a while.

This costs us a lot in FFP terms too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Me neither. And worse than that, signining Cucurella on loan also means disavowing one of our most promising academy products in the process.
Does it? Fernandez has only played for Preston and predominantly as a wing back. In what world would would it be sensible to make him our first choice left back in a back 4, when we're already getting carved open regularly, with ease?

RedDevilQuebecois

Sorry, who is one of our most promising academy products who'll be affected by signing Cucurella?
After what we saw in pre-season, Alvaro Fernandez should be in the rotation among our LBs. I honestly put him in front of Malacia in the LB pecking order, and that says volumes about how low Malacia has fallen after the start of last season.

AndySmith1990

After what we saw in pre-season, Alvaro Fernandez should be in the rotation among our LBs. I honestly put him in front of Malacia in the LB pecking order, and that says volumes about how low Malacia has fallen after the start of last season.
Alvaro Fernandez
If Alvaro Fernandez is now considered one of our best academy players then our academy is in the gutter