Marc Cucurella - World Class Hairdo

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
It makes sense to loan someone. If we play the kid there, the forum would melt down when we lose a game while relying on a kid.

I don't rate any of the linked names, but i think in easier home games, when he can push forward, he will create much more than our current fullbacks.

In tougher games, and away games, we can play Dalot there.

All of the options above are a huge step down from Shaw for me.

kaku06

It's not an objective discussion - people can believe that Dalot and Fernandez are sufficient for the next 6-8 weeks while Shaw and Malacia recover. Taking that weird, snotty tone isn't a good look, particularly on a forum that exists for opinion and debate.
And based on what? Whoever thinks Fernandez is ready week in week out against the top players without any experience is an idiot. The same people will blame ten hag and and the board if he’s found out at the highest level without any prior experience. Dalot isn’t even reliable and isn’t even first choice RB for us but good enough at LB? If some people can’t understand such a simple thing and logic behind us going for a LB then it is amazing indeed. Thankfully, ten hag doesn’t think the same and thinks we need a LB like most of us.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’d be very interested in Van Dykes stats in this when he was on top form. One of his great skills is shielding an opponent out of play whilst dribbling without actually making a tackle.
So we are establishing that cucurella has a lot of strengths and a few weaknesses too.

Here's VVD from 19/20. Really underlines how little he had to do because Liverpool were so dominant and no one wanted to even bother going at him. Also suspect you're onto something with him shielding through balls harmlessly out of play; don't believe that's tracked as an event on Fbref.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You'd back him over Dalot defensively, seriously?

Is his offensive capability that much better than Dalot's to offset how bad he is on the other side of the ball?

If he does come here, I'll hope he's the Brighton version like everyone else, but I'm not sure that is more likely than not. He's been poor for quite some time now, which is obviously a concern.

Is Malacia out for a significant period of time or something?
As a left back Dalot is not better than Cucurella, it's not his natural position so that stands to reason.

I rate Dalot higher as a player though, but not at left back.

Not sure how long Malacia is out for but could be quite a few weeks yet.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not really sure how Chelsea benefit here since they just sold Hall and the often injured Chilwell will be their only remaining left back - along with Maatsen who is their equivalent of Alvaro Fernandez.

Chelsea are a mystery - they always seem to be short of players irrespective of how many players they buy.
Maatsen yes new to pl but he got into championship team of the season when he played for Burnley on loan as left back last season in championship winning team.

Probably so why we let hall go and pochettino rated maatsen more than hall it was well evident in preseason. And we played three at the back so far and maatsen most likely played more attacking role as back up to chilwell like left winger.

Maatsen not bad option as the way we played compared to cucurella.

JP77

Happy with it as a late deal with the Shaw situation. He was quality at Brighton, just didn’t live up to the hype at Chelsea in a terrible season for the club in general. A very good option to bring in this late in the window.

Reality is we need a better young backup for Shaw going forward though. If we are being honest even if Malacia was fit I’m not sure many fans would have confidence in him going into games.

bringbackbebe

Maatsen yes new to pl but he got into championship team of the season when he played for Burnley on loan as left back last season in championship winning team.

Probably so why we let hall go and pochettino rated maatsen more than hall it was well evident in preseason. And we played three at the back so far and maatsen most likely played more attacking role as back up to chilwell like left winger.

Maatsen not bad option as the way we played compared to cucurella.
The gamble could very well pay off but could easily flip on the reverse side. Why are you guys risking so many things all at once? It all seems very chaotic.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Happy with it as a late deal with the Shaw situation. He was quality at Brighton, just didn’t live up to the hype at Chelsea in a terrible season for the club in general. A very good option to bring in this late in the window.

Reality is we need a better young backup for Shaw going forward though. If we are being honest even if Malacia was fit I’m not sure many fans would have confidence in him going into games.
In general, I'm very happy with Malacia so far, I'm even angry that he's injured and can't take Shaw's place because the boy has potential and so far in every game he's played for us he's given his all and i like what i have seen from him so far.

He played some big games for us and one of them was against Liverpool and he did better than Shaw then. He even gave an assist to Sancho if I'm not mistaken.

redcucumber

Last 365 days in all comps is the default on Fbref; didn't adjust it
Thought as much. Chelsea were absolutely fecking diabolical last season - how much can be gleaned from analysing player performance when it was as dire as it was? They finished fecking 12th with -9 GD.

redcucumber

And based on what? Whoever thinks Fernandez is ready week in week out against the top players without any experience is an idiot. The same people will blame ten hag and and the board if he’s found out at the highest level without any prior experience. Dalot isn’t even reliable and isn’t even first choice RB for us but good enough at LB? If some people can’t understand such a simple thing and logic behind us going for a LB then it is amazing indeed. Thankfully, ten hag doesn’t think the same and thinks we need a LB like most of us.
Based on the fact that Dalot has played there countless times and the fact they may have seen a lot more of Fernandez than you? Have you seen a lot of Fernandez to make an informed decision on whether or not he is good enough to be a sub? You're attitude stinks. Let's call it a day.

AndersB

Hope we won't be seeing him in a red shirt anytime soon. Not only has he looked awful, the way he cried after that one goal for Brighton like it had been his childhood dream, and then fecked off to Chelsea once the big money came, really got to me.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hope we won't be seeing him in a red shirt anytime soon. Not only has he looked awful, the way he cried after that one goal for Brighton like it had been his childhood dream, and then fecked off to Chelsea once the big money came, really got to me.
Do you think he cried because he loves Brighton so much or because it was a big milestone for his career to register a PL goal?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not really sure how Chelsea benefit here since they just sold Hall and the often injured Chilwell will be their only remaining left back - along with Maatsen who is their equivalent of Alvaro Fernandez.

Chelsea are a mystery - they always seem to be short of players irrespective of how many players they buy.
I gotta say I've no clue how good Fernandez actually is because I have seen him play exactly zero minutes but just looking at their career paths up until now I would say Maatsen is at least a year ahead in his development curve compared to Fernandez.

Maatsen started out his loan route in L1 at Charlton three years ago, then proceeded to play a full Championship season for a mid-table side at Coventry City before finally going to a top Championship club in Burnley and performing really well for a side who absolutely stomped the league. That's three seasons worth of loans where he has stepped up a level in club quality every year and hasn't looked out of place at all.

Fernandez' loan season at Preston would be comparable to Maatsen at Coventry in the 21/22 season. Following his Coventry loan last summer there were very few people around Chelsea who thought Maatsen was ready to take on a first team role and because of that we ended up signing Cucurella instead, but now it's a whole different situation. So maybe for United it makes sense to sign a loanee like Cucurella for this season and seeing if Fernandez can make a similar step up with another loan before looking back at it again next year. If he's looked good during another loan, you could just ditch Cucurella and integrate Fernandez into the first team for the 24/25 season.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The gamble could very well pay off but could easily flip on the reverse side. Why are you guys risking so many things all at once? It all seems very chaotic.
Yes too much changes but it's the risk our owners are willing to take. Our new stadium project will kick in near future so needed the settled team. The slow build up of the team not an option for new owners it seems.

But they are stood by what they wanted to do. They believe pochettino can make it work. Of course its a risk but if you want to challenge city in coming years need to act now.

It will work or not nobody knows but owners dont want to stay as spectators. We will be okay in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thought as much. Chelsea were absolutely fecking diabolical last season - how much can be gleaned from analysing player performance when it was as dire as it was? They finished fecking 12th with -9 GD.
Sure - and he was a major part of why we were so diabolical. Obviously our season was a catastrophe but the downgrade in fullbacks from Chilwell and James to Cucurella and Azpilicueta / Chalobah was a major reason why.

bringbackbebe

I gotta say I've no clue how good Fernandez actually is because I have seen him play exactly zero minutes but just looking at their career paths up until now I would say Maatsen is at least a year ahead in his development curve compared to Fernandez.

Maatsen started out his loan route in L1 at Charlton three years ago, then proceeded to play a full Championship season for a mid-table side at Coventry City before finally going to a top Championship club in Burnley and performing really well for a side who absolutely stomped the league. That's three seasons worth of loans where he has stepped up a level in club quality every year and hasn't looked out of place at all.

Fernandez' loan season at Preston would be comparable to Maatsen at Coventry in the 21/22 season. Following his Coventry loan last summer there were very few people around Chelsea who thought Maatsen was ready to take on a first team role and because of that we ended up signing Cucurella instead, but now it's a whole different situation. So maybe for United it makes sense to sign a loanee like Cucurella for this season and seeing if Fernandez can make a similar step up with another loan before looking back at it again next year. If he's looked good during another loan, you could just ditch Cucurella and integrate Fernandez into the first team for the 24/25 season.
Makes sense if Maatsen is that highly rated (I don't think ETH thinks Fernandez is ready for the step up this season - a little surprised he hasn't yet been loaned out or sold though).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Doesn’t really matter as long as they get it done. All this ever proves is that they can be competent if they can be bothered.
Right, and the fact that we've been so rapid in getting a LB does make me question if we'll even get a CM (Unless we genuinely are waiting for VDB to leave).

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Makes sense if Maatsen is that highly rated (I don't think ETH thinks Fernandez is ready for the step up this season - a little surprised he hasn't yet been loaned out or sold though).
Yeah. Right now I'm not sure if I'd be too comfortable relying on Maatsen for a prolonged run of games if/when Chilwell inevitably gets injured again but I do think he's done enough to deserve the chance to at least try.

With Cucurella having been as bad for us as he has, I can't say I'd be too trusting of him either if Chilwell was out so keeping Maatsen as the homegrown and cheaper alternative makes more sense for us IMO. Poch seems to like Maatsen so I guess that's what matters the most here.

kaku06

Based on the fact that Dalot has played there countless times and the fact they may have seen a lot more of Fernandez than you? Have you seen a lot of Fernandez to make an informed decision on whether or not he is good enough to be a sub? You're attitude stinks. Let's call it a day.
You make no sense. So some people may have seen Fernandez more than me and that’s why they may know better he would be a good option for LB. But the one person who actually has seen Fernandez the most and is more informed than any other person is the manager and he himself has decided that we need to sign a LB. And you are arguing against his decision. How ironical, eh? I can see like many others why ten hag is going for a new LB. I just tried to explain this but you started commented on me personally. Classy guy. Have a great day.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As a left back Dalot is not better than Cucurella, it's not his natural position so that stands to reason.

I rate Dalot higher as a player though, but not at left back.

Not sure how long Malacia is out for but could be quite a few weeks yet.
£3m is at least fair. For that price, it's a gamble worth taking. I guess we'll see what he's capable of and it'll either be seen as a sage move or an awful, compounding one. I don't think the player has it in him to be middling (serviceable) as opposed to great/shocking; fingers crossed we get the bedazzling Brighton boy and not the chided Chelsea catastrophe.

redcucumber

Sure - and he was a major part of why we were so diabolical. Obviously our season was a catastrophe but the downgrade in fullbacks from Chilwell and James to Cucurella and Azpilicueta / Chalobah was a major reason why.
Ah, come on. Your issues were a hell of a lot deeper than two injuries/their replacements. You started the season with Tuchel, suddenly pivoted to Potter, then ended the season with fecking Lampard who had one of the worst winning percentages of any Chelsea manager ever. I find it hard to believe that it can 'majorly' pinned on Cucurella and Azpilicueta. I think Boehly and his bizarre approach is much more significant a reason as to why it all went so hilariously shit.

redcucumber

You make no sense. So some people may have seen Fernandez more than me and that’s why they may know better he would be a good option for LB. But the one person who actually has seen Fernandez the most and is more informed than any other person is the manager and he himself has decided that we need to sign a LB. And you are arguing against his decision. How ironical, eh? I can see like many others why ten hag is going for a new LB. I just tried to explain this but you started commented on me personally. Classy guy. Have a great day.
I am absolutely fine with us signing a left back on loan. I'm just not the type of person that goes out of their way on a Wednesday to deride others on the internet and call them idiots if they happen to have a different opinion than me. This forum seems to be attracting the dregs nowadays. Shame.

Also, hilarious notion that ten Hag's recruitment is utterly infallible. We might as well halt all discussion.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
£3m is at least fair. For that price, it's a gamble worth taking. I guess we'll see what he's capable of and it'll either be seen as a sage move or an awful, compounding one. I don't think the player has it in him to be middling (serviceable) as opposed to great/shocking; fingers crossed we get the bedazzling Brighton boy and not the chided Chelsea catastrophe.
Yeah I agree.

I doubt he'll be anything more than steady, which really is all we can hope for from an 'emergency' loan.

Funny how people on here are clamouring for us to hijack Brighton's transfers, yet don't seem to want a former Brighton player though.

kaku06

I am absolutely fine with us signing a left back on loan. I'm just not the type of person that goes out of their way on a Wednesday to deride others on the internet and call them idiots if they happen to have a different opinion than me. This forum seems to be attracting the dregs nowadays. Shame.

Also, hilarious notion that ten Hag's recruitment is utterly infallible. We might as well halt all discussion.
How ironical and absolute shameless once again. As i said classy guy. Not surprised. Third time you commented on me personally. Offended by everything ashamed of nothing. Do me a favour and don’t bother.

Chairman Steve

Isolated from everything else involved in the transfer window at the moment, I am reasonably happy with this. It’s not every day both of your left backs get serious injuries so contingency plans have been activated and considering the pool of players you could choose from this late in the window (factoring in availability and price), I think we picked the best option.

Mainoldo

Doesn’t really matter as long as they get it done. All this ever proves is that they can be competent if they can be bothered.
We can hope but it’s a real mystery to what this CM plan was.

Dwight Corke

Decent temporary option. We desperately need to replenish our Spanish player stocks.

Marc Cucurella, his name is Mark Cucurella . (To the tune of Sade - Smooth Operator)

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
My daughter cried at Friends when Monica and Chandler got married, but now she's watching Superstore and doesn't talk about Friends at all, no fecking loyalty.