Marc Skinner | "Has been offered a new contract"

Marc Skinner's contract runs out in May - what now?

• Renew

• Don't renew

• Remove him now

Results are only viewable after voting.

Demon Barber

Chelsea have a deal with Sonia Bompastor, who is the dominant women's football coach in France right now. That is a sign of ambition of a club that treats women's football very seriously, even when they have won it all or so.

If you ask me, plenty of people at the top don't have a clue about what is going on with the women's team right now. Anyone who watches football of any kind knows when a manager is no longer fit for the job, especially when he was given this many talented players over last summer.

I hope Wilcox and Ashworth will come in and see enough of this mess to finally drop the axe on Skinner. That stupid idea of a new contract was Murtough's idea before he was shown the door.
I agree that Chelsea prioritise their women's team more than United do, but there is a difference here - Emma Hayes had announced her decision to leave, Skinner would have to be replaced.

Frustrating though this season has been I have an element of sympathy with Skinner. I do think he may have taken us as far as he can but his record has not been a bad one. Promotion, a cup final, CL qualification, competing against three well established teams who have dominated the WSL for years, chaos at the club etc. I am pretty sure it was not his decision to lose Batlle and Russo.

As for the speculation that Murtough is responsible for the contract extension, well, I very much doubt INEOS would have allowed that to happen.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If its true hes been offered a new deal then thats a bad start by Sir Jim

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree that Chelsea prioritise their women's team more than United do, but there is a difference here - Emma Hayes had announced her decision to leave, Skinner would have to be replaced.

Frustrating though this season has been I have an element of sympathy with Skinner. I do think he may have taken us as far as he can but his record has not been a bad one. Promotion, a cup final, CL qualification, competing against three well established teams who have dominated the WSL for years, chaos at the club etc. I am pretty sure it was not his decision to lose Batlle and Russo.

As for the speculation that Murtough is responsible for the contract extension, well, I very much doubt INEOS would have allowed that to happen.
Think you will find it was Casey Stoney who got us promotion. Just wish she had stayed. What is the point if he gets given quality players, but will not use them sufficiently.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Way too much favouritism. There are certain players who are put on a pedal-stool. It’s not good for them and not good for the team. I don’t know why he cant see that’s no way to run a competitive club. Final straw for me was the talk of how ‘deep’ Arsenals bench was. There’s no point having a deep bench if you don’t sponsor a competitive squad.
What is a pedal stool?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

I think the new managements simply aren't ready yet - too many bigger fish to fry. I doubt Ineos or SJR even looked at the women's team during those very protracted negotiations around the purchase - other than as a relatively small line in the annual budget.

So, I do think the club will see standing still as "no harm done". The trouble is, I'm past believing that. I don't think we're standing still, because I think we'll see another round of losing talent as fast as we find it and more talent wasted.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think the new managements simply aren't ready yet - too many bigger fish to fry. I doubt Ineos or SJR even looked at the women's team during those very protracted negotiations around the purchase - other than as a relatively small line in the annual budget.

So, I do think the club will see standing still as "no harm done". The trouble is, I'm past believing that. I don't think we're standing still, because I think we'll see another round of losing talent as fast as we find it and more talent wasted.
You wonder if with Skinner managing Manchester United is the best job he will ever get so will put up with it. Just think Casey Stoney would have put a good case forward for the women's teams and pushed hard for improvement.

Scanny

Yeah, we’re not standing still. We are definitely going backwards and I’ve no doubt we’ll lose more key players this summer.
We’ve a battle on our hands for 4th this season already.
Our very limited manager won’t fix that with his idiotic sound-bites. I’m gloomy about next season already.

RedDevilQuebecois

Another example of Skinner being a totally dumb clown.

I think he prefers to be coaching Brexit W.F.C.

buchansleftleg

As I suspected...Sir Jim will talk a good game....and then a meh actual response.

I suspect he is a cheap option. I also suspect that Erik will be kept on in the mens team because of the cost of replacing him, rather than because the club actually backs him.

I predict we will spend more in compensation packages in/out of senior executives than we will on players this year.