Marcel Sabitzer - Dortmund Player "I learned a lot about football working under him (ten Hag). He’s a very good coach.”

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I feel bad for breathing a sigh of relief that he's not coming back here.

Wish him luck!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Half of Bellingham‘s fee for Nmecha and Sabitzer… :p

Definitely happy for Sabitzer though after a rough last season.

Malone_Post

Bayern really do take the piss in that league :lol:

Buy all of Dortmund’s diamonds and sell them back all of their castoffs.

Bobski

I found the hyping of him as obviously better than Fred or McT to be exceedingly odd based on what we were seeing on the pitch. Decent final 3rd player who lacks the all round midfield game to be a effective player at a high level, didn't offer anything Utd didn't already have.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I suppose Hummels, though it's a question of whether that would count being a Bayern Munich guy in the first place.
I personally would not really count it. it was also 7 years ago and the fee was rather high.
Lewandowski was 9 years ago (and not a transfer) and after that only Hummels went from Dortmund to Bayern. But the narrative sticks I guess although it is British and Spanish clubs buying Dortmund‘s players. :lol:

Trequarista10

When was the last time that happened?
Hummels, Gotze and Lewandowski all in the space of a few years. Might have been a while ago now but it's so unusual for the second best team in a top league to lose its best players to their rival that it's an image that will stick for a while. I also get the impression that it at least contributed towards Dortmund changing tact and signing talented young players from all over the world with guarantees of game time and release clauses (presumably excluding a sale to Bayern, but it'd be interesting to see if their next Bellingham/Haaland/Sancho does push for a move to Bayern if they'd resist or not).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Phew. Was still scared we would sign him.

Robbie Boy

I think he's probably a pretty decent player, but he was generally underwhelming during his time here.

Djemba-Djemba

I think he's probably a pretty decent player, but he was generally underwhelming during his time here.
Aye.

I tried to convince myself he was better than he actually was but he seemed a pretty generic, average midfielder here. Didn't stink the place out like Weghorst but was nothing special. Seemed pretty injury prone too.

Judas

Open to offers
Injuries didn't help him here at all, loaning someone in for cover then them being out most of the time themselves instantly makes the deal a bit of a failure. He never really got up to speed with the league. Just didn't really work out. All round a disappointing loan spell.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He will do well there but he was a nothing player here

ArbeitervonWien

Good move for both parties, I would guess. He seems to be a player suited for the tier below the top teams. Sabitzer is able to do much better than I the limited time frame he had for us.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Hummels, Gotze and Lewandowski all in the space of a few years.
Guerreiro will be the 6th player coming to FCB from BVB since the start of the Bundesliga. 2 of those were free agents. Hummels was Bayern in the first place, Götze was even given back :D (as was Hummels). BVB at that time was at the fringe of being bancrupt and more than happy to take the money.

Yeah Bayern totally buying BVB out. Bastards.

Trequarista10

Guerreiro will be the 6th player coming to FCB from BVB since the start of the Bundesliga. 2 of those were free agents. Hummels was Bayern in the first place, Götze was even given back :D (as was Hummels). BVB at that time was at the fringe of being bancrupt and more than happy to take the money.

Yeah Bayern totally buying BVB out. Bastards.
Yes that is quite a lot for transfers between the two biggest rivals. You don't get the same in leagues of comparative strength and competitiveness, like the Scottish or Russian leagues for example.

Ace of Spades

Glad we have not signed him, did not stand out and was injury prone during his short time here.

pacifictheme

I found the hyping of him as obviously better than Fred or McT to be exceedingly odd based on what we were seeing on the pitch. Decent final 3rd player who lacks the all round midfield game to be a effective player at a high level, didn't offer anything Utd didn't already have.
I agree. Plus his age. Amrabat feels like a much better signing for midfield depth than this guy.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yes that is quite a lot for transfers between the two biggest rivals. You don't get the same in leagues of comparative strength and competitiveness, like the Scottish or Russian leagues for example.
More players went the other way in the same period. You do realize we are talking 6 transfers in 61 years don't you?

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You do realize we are talking 6 transfers in 61 years do you
Well, actually... :wenger: Only 4 transfers in 61 years.
Two players left Dortmund after their contract ended and happened to sign with Bayern afterwards.

PS: I know that you know that.

Trequarista10

More players went the other way in the same period. You do realize we are talking 6 transfers in 61 years don't you?
No that's literally not what I was talking about. If you re-read the post, you'll see that I specifically referred to 3 high profile signings in the space of a few years. I even acknowledged this was several years ago but that the PERCEPTION sticks. You got all defensive because you're emotional and felt the need to be protective about the Bundesliga because you worry that its perceived as a poor league in the distant shadows of the PL, La Liga and Serie A, and faces the prospect of going the same way as the Eredivisie or Scottish Prem into irrelevance. Especially with leagues like MLS and Saudi Arabia making big investments and developing a growing global audience, the Bundesliga may fall further and further behind until it becomes just a feeder league for the bigger and better competitions like the PL, Serie A, La Liga, Championship, Ligue 1, MLS, Serie B etc. It already is a feeder league outside of Bayern, but how long can Bayern remain alongside the European giants if their domestic competition is so trivially weak. There's no comparative top league in the world where there is so little competition and such a huge disparity between the top team and the second team. Even if it its not as awful as its perceived, perceptions impact viewing figures which impacts revenue and sponsorship. It's a slow, downwards spiral. It's just a few years until Bayern will be at the same level as Celtic, losing their best players for cheap to mid table La Liga and Championship sides.

The Serie B/Championship/MLS comparisons are a joke by the way, don't worry. Mere whimsical hyperbole. Or...is it!?

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
No that's literally not what I was talking about. If you re-read the post, you'll see that I specifically referred to 3 high profile signings in the space of a few years. I even acknowledged this was several years ago but that the PERCEPTION sticks. You got all defensive because you're emotional and felt the need to be protective about the Bundesliga because you worry that its perceived as a poor league in the distant shadows of the PL, La Liga and Serie A, and faces the prospect of going the same way as the Eredivisie or Scottish Prem into irrelevance. Especially with leagues like MLS and Saudi Arabia making big investments and developing a growing global audience, the Bundesliga may fall further and further behind until it becomes just a feeder league for the bigger and better competitions like the PL, Serie A, La Liga, Championship, Ligue 1, MLS, Serie B etc. It already is a feeder league outside of Bayern, but how long can Bayern remain alongside the European giants if their domestic competition is so trivially weak. There's no comparative top league in the world where there is so little competition and such a huge disparity between the top team and the second team. Even if it its not as awful as its perceived, perceptions impact viewing figures which impacts revenue and sponsorship. It's a slow, downwards spiral. It's just a few years until Bayern will be at the same level as Celtic, losing their best players for cheap to mid table La Liga and Championship sides.

The Serie B/Championship/MLS comparisons are a joke by the way, don't worry. Mere whimsical hyperbole. Or...is it!?
you misread me. i wasnt defensive because i worry, i was sarcastic bekause kneejerk. Lets leave it at that :)

lex talionis

He will do well there but he was a nothing player here
I actually thought the jewel thief was quite useful for us. No, he's not in the same class as Bruno or Casemiro, nor Mount, but as a squad man gave us something that McTominay and Fred just can't and put in a few very decent performances for us as we solidified our hold on a top four spot while Casemiro was sidelined due to sociopathic refereeing.

TheGame

Players having worked with ETH able to provide first hand information about working with him? Surely not. I'll just believe posters who shout he's a fraud and rumours on the internet as they know more.

Unam333

You see? Sabitzer says Ten Hag is a very good coach. Lock all Ten Hag's threads.

Irwin99

Good quote: "When I had a bad game, he showed me some situations and told me how to do it better next time. I liked that. You knew where you stood with him. He never threw you under the bus. Instead, he told players to go out and do better in the next game"

Sancho's reaction- he was nasty to me, said i didn't train well enough. Instead of proving him wrong i'm going to go sulk for the next few months.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Even when he wasn't injured he just wasn't the player we needed/expected. He's like a physical no.10 who was decent in the air and had a great shot on him, but he's not the type to do anything with the in build-up or the middle of the pitch.

How is he performing back in Germany?

tomaldinho1

Good quote: "When I had a bad game, he showed me some situations and told me how to do it better next time. I liked that. You knew where you stood with him. He never threw you under the bus. Instead, he told players to go out and do better in the next game"

Sancho's reaction- he was nasty to me, said i didn't train well enough. Instead of proving him wrong i'm going to go sulk for the next few months.
In Sancho's case he's just visibly too weak/slow compared to where he needs to be so the type of work ETH probably wanted him doing would have been the hardest/least enjoyable type of individual gym work. Easier to throw your toys out the pram and hope the manager gets sacked than put in the graft.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's funny all the praise when he signed him and had no idea where and how to play him.

Probably just thankful he allowed him to earn a lot in just 6 months doing feck all and having Manchester United player on his CV. I would be thankful too. I am sure Phil Jones thinks Ole is the best manager ever.