Marcel Sabitzer - (Use the Player Performance thread to discuss his matchday performances)

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Yesss, the long haired one has joined us.

Feeling very good about this for some reason.

GazTheLegend

Very good player. It's no shame not getting in to that Bayern midfield - we needed a body in there at the very least, getting Sabitzer in there would be exciting ANYWAY.

Marcus

Looks very comfortably two-footed (not in the Stevie G way) in the highlights vid. As long as he is not secretly injured, I think he will be a great loan signing.

DarkXaero

A Bayern fan I know told me that he was crap for them last season, but turned it around this season and showed his RBL form in first half of this season. Any other Bayern fans care to comment on that?

croadyman

A Bayern fan I know told me that he was crap for them last season, but turned it around this season and showed his RBL form in first half of this season. Any other Bayern fans care to comment on that?
Sounds positive he turned it around

avgp_1

His work on the ball is underrated if people are comparing him to Fred. Better under pressure, high tempo with lots of short passes, occasional long diagonal passes as well. Not a physically dominant player but will put himself about

Great work by the club in getting this done. One of those signings that makes a lot of sense, let's see how he does now in the PL.

newgiz

I am pleasantly surprised at the efficiency in which we got this done. This is a low risk and potentially high reward transfer. Have to credit the hierarchy for making this happen.

Excited to see what he does. A very different profile to Eriksen which means we could alter the way in which we press the opposition. I believe he has a higher work rate than Eriksen. (more Fred like in terms of work rate)

Our approach since the beginning of this summer towards transfers has been precise and not wayward like the years before and long may it continue. Really happy with the direction that we have taken. Can't help but smile. :)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That’s about right. Had a really difficult start to his stint with us but eventually figured things out.

siw2007

Welcome to the club Marcel! Really needed that extra quality midfielder for the rest of the season.

Real Name

As I get it we've been watching him for a while but due to Eriksen injury ETH decided to go for him now instead of summer?

Maybe not as creative as Eriksen but he's an excellent all round midfielder with a good engine on him, wont run on fumes in 60th minute or so.

podurban2

That’s about right. Had a really difficult start to his stint with us but eventually figured things out.
If he performs here and wants to stay, do you think you will let him go? What’s Bayern’s policy there?

SER19

Don't know why but i feel this is going to turn out to be a brilliant piece of business

HTG

Supports
Bayern
If he performs here and wants to stay, do you think you will let him go? What’s Bayern’s policy there?
I’m sure we’ll let him leave for a reasonable amount. We already signed his replacement in Laimer.

arnie_ni

Sabitzer. Who did you think we were referring to in Sabitzer's thread?
I mean your first post clearly states Fred has better technique, better long shooting, and a better press-resistant.

No wonder people have got confused

arnoldS

Guys don't get ober excited. He is extremely frustrating and has regressed since leaving rbl.

He has one great game followed by 5 Bad ones. His passing can also be very hit and miss. I can't even remember a great game for the NT.

I really hope he can find some decent form again but I doubt it.

Shark

@NotShark
Guys don't get ober excited. He is extremely frustrating and has regressed since leaving rbl.

He has one great game followed by 5 Bad ones. His passing can also be very hit and miss. I can't even remember a great game for the NT.

I really hope he can find some decent form again but I doubt it.
Expectations aren't all that high gjven we've had to endure Fred and Mctomminay for years now. Only Eriksen and Casemiro are actually top class in this department.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I mean your first post clearly states Fred has better technique, better long shooting, and a better press-resistant.

No wonder people have got confused
My first post was a reply to a poster who said that he's the better version of Fred. If people only read my first post then of course it's confusing because it's hard to just read something without knowing the original context.

The context was that I was being sarcastic trying to tell the poster that he's nothing like Fred by mentioning three aspects that Fred is actually weak at but what Sabitzer is good at. ''better technique, better long shooting, and a better press-resistant''. :lol:

Revaulx

In the past there wouldn’t have been a plan and we’d have simply taken what we could to try and make it work (see Arthur at Liverpool).
My cynical mind suggests that the plan we used to operate under was to sign whoever’s agent or selling club was best at taking advantage of Ed Woodward’s well-meaning but weak and star struck nature. Starting with Chelsea and Mata; a most un-Moyes-like player.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Was worried that we might not get this sorted out before deadline (even for a loan). Terrific player, obviously completely different to Eriksen but very reliable and good on the press. I think he'll be slightly better against pressing teams than Eriksen and his passing isn't too bad either?

I'm not going to shit on other midfielders at the club but, when you consider that we're badly needing options, he's a great signing. Hopefully he has a fantastic six months and meets ou expectations like Case, Martinez and Malacia have (for the record I still have hope for Antony once he settles) because it'll just highlight that the club is finally making great decisions when it comes to recruitment.
And you call yourself pigeon?! :eek: :wenger:

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I hate to say this but I am mostly relieved we have cover in midfield now, it was starting to look bleak.

I don’t expect him to be amazing but I do expect a real work horse that will keep going for 90mins which is actually an improvement on Eriksen who is obviously pure quality on the ball but often runs out of steam on the 60/70th min.

Strange that Weghorst , SABITZER and Eriksen cost next to nothing and will end up being so important for us.

Eric_the_Red99

I don’t really know much about Sabitzer, and I’m keeping an open mind about how well he’ll do for us. But two things are encouraging:

1. The speed with which we got this deal over the line after the Eriksen injury. A couple of years ago we’d have made a couple of abortive attempts to sign someone before overpaying for a bang average player just before the deadline.

2. The strategic use of loans, as opposed to permanent deals. We already have far too many mediocre but highly paid players on our books that we can’t seem to offload. Much better to get players in on loans to fix short-term issues, while we take our time to make the right permanent deals (obviously, the second part of that is key).

Reactions: Penna

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think anyone in the world could have predicted any one of our three January signings a month or so ago...

Interesting times we're living in.

D4X73r

First austrian player for us right? still wondering how on earth Sabitzer would be the first. really thought Alaba or Arnautovic would have been the first one

justboy68

My first post was a reply to a poster who said that he's the better version of Fred. If people only read my first post then of course it's confusing because it's hard to just read something without knowing the original context.

The context was that I was being sarcastic trying to tell the poster that he's nothing like Fred by mentioning three aspects that Fred is actually weak at but what Sabitzer is good at. ''better technique, better long shooting, and a better press-resistant''. :lol:
I understood you mate.

"He is like Fred... except with better technique, better long shooting, and better able to resist the press. Closer to Kovacic" for those struggling.

Banat

Can't get excited about the loan signing without an option to buy, even if it was Messi.
I think top 4 is already secured and can't see see us challenging this year. If he comes and be excellent I will be very sad when he returns to Bayern

OrcaFat

A few have posted that he is a different type of player to Eriksen but, to me, he looks fairly similar. He must have been brought in to enable the team to play in a similar way to how we do when Eriksen is in there (because with Fred or McT we simply cannot). He’s not just another midfield body.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I think he will start every game in place of Eriksen. His stats tell you he won’t rack up the same goal involvements as Eriksen but when Sabitzer is attuned to Rashford and Weg I expect him to be more productive than his past stats would suggest.

And he’ll definitely give us more than Eriksen in the second half of matches.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Eriksen and I’ve said before he’s our most influential player in terms of the way the whole team plays. But Sabitzer looks like an exciting signing and, on balance, may actually improve us a fraction.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
A few have posted that he is a different type of player to Eriksen but, to me, he looks fairly similar. He must have been brought in to enable the team to play in a similar way to how we do when Eriksen is in there (because with Fred or McT we simply cannot). He’s not just another midfield body.

Unless something goes horribly wrong, I think he will start every game in place of Eriksen. His stats tell you he won’t rack up the same goal involvements as Eriksen but when Sabitzer is attuned to Rashford and Weg I expect him to be more productive than his past stats would suggest.

And he’ll definitely give us more than Eriksen in the second half of matches.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Eriksen and I’ve said before he’s our most influential player in terms of the way the whole team plays. But Sabitzer looks like an exciting signing and, on balance, may actually improve us a fraction.
If he's better than Eriksen off the ball/defensively, than more freedom for Casemiro to be a bit more involved in attack. He's still by far our best midfielder.

This just makes a lot of sense.

AlPistacho

Just heard Paul Merson’s comment about this deal. Do these pundits actually think before they speak? If Sabitzer has been signed due to injuries primarily Eriksen, but also Donny etc. How would United have prepared for it before the injury? And that’s usually the way it goes, you don’t sign Bayern Munich’s main midfielder in January to cover injury. It’s a short term signing, one that I think might end up being better than Eriksen overall due to his better physical ability.

AlPistacho

If he's better than Eriksen off the ball/defensively, than more freedom for Casemiro to be a bit more involved in attack. He's still by far our best midfielder.

This just makes a lot of sense.
Good point. Casemiro got typecasted as something he is not at RM. If he was given more freedom, who knows he might have been their 8 and viewed as a more creative CM.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
First: thanks to the mod who flagged that this thread had moved here. I am often bemused by threads that close for reasons I don't know/understand (some of course are closed for very good reasons). More of the same please guys!

I'm trying to remember when I last saw this guy and how impressed (or not) I was. One thing is for sure, having played at Leipzig and Bayern, his background/attitude should be first rate and the little I've read about the move makes me think he was keen to come to OT for footballing reasons which is a good start.

Have to admit, I didn't think a deal for anyone would get done and I notice it was finalised well after the deadline (seems deadline day rules are about as bonkers as VAR at times). Let's hope ETH is as right about this guy as he was about the likes of Martinez. I'd give him a run out at some stage against Palace on Saturday. Maybe even start him if he's fully fit