Marcelo Bielsa on ManUtd style of play - "The more simple the football is, the better it is.

hubbuh

Sir Alex didnt have a complicated style, neither did Leicester. Zidane is famous for keeping tacitis simple at Madrid.
Unless you mean a very specific pudding, the evidence just isnt there. Biesla himself is arguing with you
Fergie was the greatest manager of all time and Zidane won 3 CL in a row. The evidence is quite literally right there, screaming at you in the face. They had a style a made it work. The point about it being complicated or otherwise is by the by. We aren't talking about SAF, though. You made a point about Ole, and then about Klopp. You then went on to say that one style isn't necessarily better than the other. It's just not true. Until Ole wins something, you can't say his 'style' is as effective.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Achieving a good level of team work is one of the most important things in the game. Of course, tactics and having a good style of play is what makes football an attractive sport but you can throw the best player in every position and still struggle as a team if you don't have the right chemistry between the players. For the most part under every manager after Sir Alex, we looked like we had 11 individuals on the pitch with no idea how how to use each others strengths and that was one of the main things which made us struggle. We have improved a lot under Solskjaer from this aspect and our team looks more like a team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If we have a manager that relies purely on players ability - all we need is 11 amazing players on the pitch at the time.

I never really saw what was wrong with that.
Because having 11 amazing players on the pitch most of the time is unrealistic. Still Ole is doing a decent job of playing to the strengths of the squad

Dr. StrangeHate

I agree with most of your post but just wanted to mention that we have only scored 5 goals less than City having played one less game. We have no way near the depth of squad that City have. In that way our attacking output has been very commendable.
We score great goals and plenty of them but our play is certainly not that edible, their whole play is great, that is the difference.

cyberman

Fergie was the greatest manager of all time and Zidane won 3 CL in a row. The evidence is quite literally right there, screaming at you in the face. They had a style a made it work. The point about it being complicated or otherwise is by the by. We aren't talking about SAF, though. You made a point about Ole, and then about Klopp. You then went on to say that one style isn't necessarily better than the other. It's just not true. Until Ole wins something, you can't say his 'style' is as effective.
Its not by the way. Its literally the topic of conversation. Nobody is saying Ole is better than Pep.

OleBoiii

Yes, I bet mid to lower table clubs everywhere are impressed and jealous by this simple counter attacking style of football.
Yes, counter-attacking is always bad and any coach that resorts to it at any possible moment, is a fraud.

Btw, 70% of teams we play sit deep. How do we counter-attack that?

hubbuh

Its not by the way. Its literally the topic of conversation. Nobody is saying Ole is better than Pep.
I know they're fecking not! :lol: don't name drop another manager now to complicate things. You made the point that you can't compare Ole's and Klopp's style of football - I'm saying you can. 'Its not as simple as saying 1 way of playing is better than the other.' it is actually, one has won the Premier League and Champions League while the other hasn't won a darn thing.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes, counter-attacking is always bad and any coach that resorts to it at any possible moment, is a fraud.

Btw, 70% of teams we play sit deep. How do we counter-attack that?
The issue with people is any attack during opposition's defensive transition phase is dubbed as a counter attack.

With the kind of pace and directness we employ to expose these phases, literally any team will struggle if they're not in shape. And hence the reason why we saw sides like Chelsea, City being overly cautious while committing men forward for an attack vs us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has a point. Under Fergie out football was simple but effective - use the width, have movement, pass forwards.
Are you accusing Carrick of insubordination? :angel:

OleBoiii

What is a complicated style of play?
Pep's autistic P_A_T_T_E_R_N_S of play, obviously.

Jokes aside, Pep did at one point take one of his strikers off early in the game, even after he had scored a goal and played well overall. Why? Because he deviated from Pep's build-up pattern.

Fecking Rainman, I tell ya!

Walters_19_MuFc

Football is a pretty simple game. Despite having all these different tactics and patterns o play in today's game, the fundamentals will always remain the same.

thepolice123

One can argue that Mourinho's Spurs play pretty simple football too.

In another thread people say he is outdated. :D:nervous:

Icemav

No I agree with you, Bielsa has been around the block a few times, he knows the value of 'getting your retaliation in first'. Comments about United a few days before the two meet is not unusual and can be uttered under the disguise of answering Sporting journo's questions, but its where you put the emphasis, is this an example of footballing 'gaslighting'?
Not sure I agree. What he appears to be saying is that it isnt hard to decipher our style of play however it caters to the strengths of our players and therefore is very hard to negate. We play with a certain unpredictability and freedom because of it.

Brophs

The One and Only
It reads more like him being polite about what he sees as unsophisticated football.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ole don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.
See? Ask someone a question they cannot answer and they typically respond by quoting lyrics of a Haddaway tune from the '90s.

It is entirely possible that patterns of play do not exist at all. Same for a complicated or simple style of play. Or the answer to the meaning of life.

Oldyella

Really?

How many teams in football history have ever fielded 11 amazing players on the pitch at the time?

I doubt you can name any in the past 20 years.
I was going to name our treble winning team and then realised they don't count! I feel so old...

RedDevilzFox

He has a point. Under Fergie out football was simple but effective - use the width, have movement, pass forwards.
And lack of success in UCL showed our simple style of football that was worked over by more tactical opponents rather easily. Hell the 2 UCL he did win (in 26 years), first was one in last 2 minutes with 2 freak goals (after BM pounded us all game) and 2nd was a JT penalty away from being lost. The point is, there was an element of luck in both and it wasn't a controlled dominant performance like Barca or Real Madrid.

So while fundamentally Bielsa is not wrong, fans are also over-simplifying his words too much.

Reactions: Cheimoon

macheda14

Really?

How many teams in football history have ever fielded 11 amazing players on the pitch at the time?

you don’t need 11 you probably need 8 and a few workhorses.

But a fair few United teams were 11 players on the pitch but more recently the 07/08 side at full strength. The Barcelona teams 08-11 were 11 amazing players. The Jose Real Madrid team that won the league.

Matt007a

SAF was by no means a tactical genius. Our style of play during his reign was largely to cross the ball into the box as often as possible. Even after Beckham left we would still hook it in on a regular basis. Then we always had a few world class attackers who could make something out of the blue by mixing it up a bit.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Really?

I actually agree with the point you’re making, but it’s definitely possible to name at least a few teams who had amazing players across the pitch in the last two decades.

RUCK4444

This is basically going to be Ole’s style as well. Positive and direct intent (not long ball but forwards.)

However I think Ole really wants to utilise a press as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Someone: "You are looking today".
The Caf: "Are you saying that I look like a troll the other days?"

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because having 11 amazing players on the pitch most of the time is unrealistic. Still Ole is doing a decent job of playing to the strengths of the squad
Well then having 5/6 consistently amazing players and having 5 other squad players that are able to raise their performances to output a top class performance is all that's needed.

Zidanes treble winning team wasnt bloated out with tactics - just class players and some players that could raise a performance when it happened. Same with our CL winning team of 2008, no tiki taka stuff - on one side you had a world class player like Ronaldo or Rio whilst we also relies on Wes Brown having a better season that he ever had before or after- ie when it matters.

11 amazing players maybe is the wrong word - 11 amazing performances is all that is needed and being able to play to your strengths can bring those amazing performances out for you.

AaronRedDevil

That's why I like ole, his tactics are simple and straight forward. Football isn't rocket science. Even SAF play style was simple. Just having a collection of players who are good at doing there part.

InfiniteBoredom

The discontent with our brand of football doesn’t come from the fact that we don’t walk the ball into the net or pass it around 1000 times a match.

We are often slow and laborious to start a match, have no composure when being pressed, often failed to make play at speed which gives opponents time to reorganize, and prone to lapses in concentration which leads to results like the Leipzig, Everton, Leicester games. None of these problems requires ‘sophisticated’ coaching to solve, whatever that means.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What was he going to say ? United doesn't have a definite style ? People are taking these things way too seriously.

This is coming from a man who is known for his own methodical way of doing things.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Pep's success has somewhat skewed the opinions of the modern fan when it comes to tactics. The principles of Juego de posicion rely far too much on robotic indoctrination of players for my liking. The basic essence is not dissimilar to what LVG was trying to do with us, it's just that Pep is able to train his players that much quicker. Also helps he can buy the best players suited to his system as well.

Under Ole, our system is much more individual based compared to Pep's or even teams like Leipzig or to a lesser extent even Brighton. People take that as Ole being an incapable coach or not as good as some of the others. Personally, I perceive it as similar to what Bielsa is saying. Our system allows more creative freedom to individuals than a thorough indoctrination, a bit of a throwback to how most teams operated 15 or so years back. Of course it's a matter of individual preference what one prefers but I like our style of play much better than Pep's or Leipzig etc.
The philosophy of 'expressing yourself' is the common thread that binds Fergus and now Ole.

Irwin99

‘’Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.” Johan Cruyff.

I have watched Sir Alex Ferguson era for long time. I don’t know why the fans still prefer a manager with more complicated style with complex and fancy name like ‘’tiki taka’’ ‘’gengen press’’ ‘’Total football’’. Football is very simple.
I think football styles are cyclical in some respects and a lot of this going back to basics stuff (a solid defensive base and lightning fast transitions) is coming back at the moment.

But as we saw with United's old 4-4-2 it can get old and found out though. Seeing Bayern Munich and Real Madrid waltz through our midfield in the post treble years emphasized the need to change and there's no doubt in my mind that Fergie evolved his style (especially in Europe)

Spoony

The People's President
I think football styles are cyclical in some respects and a lot of this going back to basics stuff (a solid defensive base and lightning fast transitions) is coming back at the moment.

But as we saw with United's old 4-4-2 it can get old and found out though. Seeing Bayern Munich and Real Madrid waltz through our midfield in the post treble years emphasized the need to change and there's no doubt in my mind that Fergie evolved his style (especially in Europe)

Yes,.without that change we wouldn't have won the CL years after the treble.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is errant nonsense.

Fergie's greatest strength wasn't tactics but my goodness you'd think he just told the squad to "go out and play football" every match. Of course his football was complicated. It all is at the highest levels!

RedDevilzFox

This is errant nonsense.

Fergie's greatest strength wasn't tactics but my goodness you'd think he just told the squad to "go out and play football" every match. Of course his football was complicated. It all is at the highest levels!
I think Fergie's lack of tactical nous was shown up in Europe while playing with continental teams rather than English teams. English teams didn't really start evolving until the arrival of Mourinho to Chelsea. After that more foreign managers started showing in England and greater emphasis on tactics. Fergie football wasn't simpleton but there wasn't a whole lot of emphasis on being tactically aware, shapes, slowing down the game or speeding up. It was usually all out attack (with wide play) almost all the time which made for very entertaining football but was somewhat naive when we ran into Bayern Munich's, Milan's, Barca's and Real Madrid's of this world. Carlos Quieroz helped us in UCL more so than EPL in that regard.

I think fans are oversimplifying Bielsa too much. He is not saying you should only play simple 5 yard passes in straight lines and work at your own pace regardless of the situation. Tiki Taka was simple football but it was very hard to emulate. It required players with technical skill in close quarters that were very comfortable on the ball. Constant movement finding spaces to receive a pass and most of all discipline of never giving the ball cheaply. Tiki taka was very dormant when done in your own half, they didn't come alive until they reached your box and that's when they played penetrative passes. They also suffocated opposition by keeping the ball. That is simple football, just very hard to do.

Reactions: Cheimoon