Marcos Leonardo....Young Brazilian Striker

mav_9me

That's a reason you ideally shouldn't, not a reason you can't. Or even just practically shouldn't.

By which I mean if you need a striker, and you have a limited budget, and the striker market is scarce, and there was a young striker you had an eye on reintroducing to the squad this season but now realise you can't, signing another striker of that same age might be the best option you have and make complete sense. It's not like there are a plethora of more experienced options available at that price you'd be turning down in his favour, you're making do with what's available.

There's zero reason to think this will happen but of all the reasons it won't, the notion that signing two young CFs would be a problem in itself is very far down on the list.

City signed Haaland and Alvarez in the same transfer window, for example. PSG seem to be trying to sign Ramos and Muani. I wish we could sign Hojlund and someone like this kid, because it certainly wouldn't be overkill.
Madrid once had Benzema and Higuain. City currently Haaland and Alvarez. We need goal scorers.
Haaland was a proven striker, with the only question mark being adaptation to the league.

Why not? Have we learned anything from what happened with Greenwood?

I still remember back then some were against buying a top striker because we already had Greenwood. One big injury, or Hojlund flops badly, or he does another Greenwood and we're back to square one - play Rashford there. You'll never know what might happen in a couple years so if you can sign a top prospect, grab him with all your mind. Plus 17m is nothing these days even things don't work out big deal. And if so we will be able to sell the kid for at least half of that imo.
But he is not a top striker. The point is these 2 would be equally unproven at a high level.

Having said that, I will.gladly take any additional striker help provided he is a proper no.9

Well there's an obvious reason. Can't have both of your strikers adapting and getting used to the league and we are waiting on their development.
What choice do we have? There are no decent established strikers available for a fee we can afford. We signed a dozen older strikers on short term deals over the last few years and not one of them has worked out. Youngsters are our only option.

I could see us getting Toney in January but what will he cost.

mav_9me

What choice do we have? There are no decent established strikers available for a fee we can afford. We signed a dozen older strikers on short term deals over the last few years and not one of them has worked out. Youngsters are our only option.

I could see us getting Toney in January but what will he cost.
Yeah agreed. That's why I later clarified I'm just happy to have another striker, if he is indeed a proper 9

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would be nice to have CF depth, no matter the quality at this point

Dazzmondo

People complain that we let City get Alvarez on the cheap and then will complain if we did this deal.
Are people complaining? I'd be happy to sign Leonardo, I just think it's unlikely we'll make the signing knowing how we generally operate. All messages I've seen here seem to similarly not be against the signing but think it probably just won't happen

Chairman Steve

Very similar profile to Hojlund on paper.

If this guy can play right forward as well (therefore filling the Greenwood gap in terms of versatility) then I’m down for it.

mikeyt

The sort of link I love to see! However it's also the sort of link that will never materialise.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Definitely would need to sign him, he will replacement for Greenwood.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
likes a backheel flick, will fit in with Bruno well

just fecking sign him

Strelok

The sort of link I love to see! However it's also the sort of link that will never materialise.
There's still hope. We have a new structure and ETH. Things might change. I really wish us to start signing these low risk cheap potentials. Most top clubs do the same. They sign big names for the starting XI and these kids for backups and the future.

FerociousCorgis

if only had the money would be a great purchase to compliment hojlund. Get 2 young CFs and be set for the future with the hope of both hitting their stride. Wont happen though we are broke AF and our players we want to sell either arent wanted or dont want to leave their big paycheck behind.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Did Barca not sign him?
Vitor Roque's already been signed by Barcelona. Yes though he will definitely be a star
They are yet to pay the first amortization of the transfer and are waiting for the Champions League money to pay it. This transfer might not be as closed as people think. But knowing iberian culture pretty sure some bankster who is a Barça fanatic will make sure they will have a credit line with small interest to save their day.

Brightonian

These highlights are the first time I've ever seen him. Completely sold. Buy. Everyone else is getting Brazilian forwards, why shouldn't we?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looks very promising for the bargain basement we're shopping in. Any legs to this story?

glasgow 21

Looks very promising for the bargain basement we're shopping in. Any legs to this story?
United were quoted from many sources to be interested in him in May however with the planned return of Greenwood, that priority maybe changed.
So if they have information from that time on him they may well be interested now considering the predicament we are in.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We just bought hojlund, how is us having two unproven prospects boost our chances?

Drifter

American
Not to be hyperbole, but he has shades of the big Ronaldo about him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well there's an obvious reason. Can't have both of your strikers adapting and getting used to the league and we are waiting on their development.
That’s still better than only having 1 signing and hoping he comes good. We’re fecked if Holjund gets injured

Crimson King

That’s still better than only having 1 signing and hoping he comes good. We’re fecked if Holjund gets injured
Exactly, I'd rather have two young strikers vying for the position and providing some depth than just one, or having to play players out of position continuously.

As others have pointed out, City signed Alvarez and Haaland. They'll both get plenty of minutes, but if one of them does get fed up and wants to leave they'll be selling them for a massive profit.

Ibi Dreams

We literally used to have 3/4 good strikers in the squad most of the time, and they all contributed. We basically have one now and he's 20. We can absolutely do with another striker

redIndianDevil

These are the transfers to go for. We have to sign players like these. It’s easy to shift them if they don’t work out as well. Even if it doesnt work it’s better to waste 20m here and there instead of spunking 90 or 80m after these players move to clubs in europe