Marcos Leonardo....Young Brazilian Striker

croadyman

Why not? Not every prospect will make it. Look at Martial and Rashford, they were both supposed to be the stars for our future and look how that turned out.
Just feel we still need experienced option too but doesn't have to cost silly money

luke511

Starting to get 2020 vibes after they fecked up the Sancho deal and spunked the rest of the budget on Amad and Facu with these links and the Klapija link.

We know how well that turned out:rolleyes:
It annoys me when Amad and Pellestri is used as an example against the idea of signing young prospects. They were good signings with the potential to be great, but were terribly managed by Solskjaer. He refused to use them because he didn’t get Sancho, if he had then we might’ve saved a hell of a lot of money, including the Antony fee too.

FerociousCorgis

It annoys me when Amad and Pellestri is used as an example against the idea of signing young players. They were good signings with the potential to be great, but were terribly managed by Solskjaer. He refused to use them because he didn’t get Sancho, if he had then we might’ve saved a hell of a lot of money, including the Antony fee too.
yeah that seemed like a weird thing for him to say when people are seemingly upset we arent starting pellistri over antony and are bummed amad got injured and couldnt compete against him either ha. So clearly those two were good purchases based on that

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Just feel we still need experienced option too but doesn't have to cost silly money
The opening post said it’s about 25m pounds with bonuses hit. That’s bargain bin price in this market.

You’re not going to be able to find a proven scorer for that price.

croadyman

The opening post said it’s about 25m pounds with bonuses hit. That’s bargain bin price in this market.

You’re not going to be able to find a proven scorer for that price.
Not even someone like Morata/Taremi?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It annoys me when Amad and Pellestri is used as an example against the idea of signing young prospects. They were good signings with the potential to be great, but were terribly managed by Solskjaer. He refused to use them because he didn’t get Sancho, if he had then we might’ve saved a hell of a lot of money, including the Antony fee too.
yeah that seemed like a weird thing for him to say when people are seemingly upset we arent starting pellistri over antony and are bummed amad got injured and couldnt compete against him either ha. So clearly those two were good purchases based on that
Don’t get me wrong, I think Pellistri and Amad are fantastic players, Amad in particular looks like he could be very special - but you are right to say they have been so poorly managed in their time here. I hope Erik puts that right and gives them both game time to integrate into the squad.
My point was that we were desperate for a RW and totally stuffed the summer window chasing Sancho so then plumped last minute to get Pellistri and Amad rather than buying them as part of a positive plan to develop the youth team.
Similarly now we are desperate for a striker and have missed out on Kane, overspent on Hojlund and are being linked to unknown young prospects as a plan B. I just wish we had a coherent transfer/squad building plan and stuck to it. Our transfer business is so scattergun and underwhelming.

baskinginthesun

At 20m this is a steal. All ETH has to do is get 5 or 6 amazing performances out of him and score a few goals then his value soars and all of Europe will be fawning over him.

Provided the club doesn't over do it with the salary this is one of those signings where you could sell him on in a couple of seasons once he's matured a bit. Or he turns out better than Hojland and we keep him. But the risk to value is much lower with Leandeo.

Bojan Djordjic

I'm all for these type of signings but this guy does not look that good. He's clearly on a hot streak (in a weaker league league) but he's way outperforming his xG which suggests it may not be sustainable.

There's really nothing standing out in his statistical profile bar pass completion, clearances and yellow cards and even at that none of those are above 80th percentile. I know we're desperate but if he wasn't Brazilian I'd doubt many people would be supporting this move.

Gandalf

Weird take to be honest. They were signed in the January window less than 12 months before Ole was fired, Pellistri went straight to Alaves and that was meant to be a way of gently introducing him to European football and Amad was used in the first team if sparingly. Sancho then arrived that summer and was followed by the Ronaldo decision which in hindsight was obviously a colossal mistake and a couple of months later Ole was gone. I think the blame has more to do with what a clownshow the team was during that 21/22 season and Murtough and Woodward are the prime culprits there.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm all for these type of signings but this guy does not look that good. He's clearly on a hot streak (in a weaker league league) but he's way outperforming his xG which suggests it may not be sustainable.

There's really nothing standing out in his statistical profile bar pass completion, clearances and yellow cards and even at that none of those are above 80th percentile. I know we're desperate but if he wasn't Brazilian I'd doubt many people would be supporting this move.
Thought the same, looks very mediocre. You compare that to Julian Alvarez footage from 2 years ago and you see the quality difference.

luke511

Weird take to be honest. They were signed in the January window less than 12 months before Ole was fired, Pellistri went straight to Alaves and that was meant to be a way of gently introducing him to European football and Amad was used in the first team if sparingly. Sancho then arrived that summer and was followed by the Ronaldo decision which in hindsight was obviously a colossal mistake and a couple of months later Ole was gone. I think the blame has more to do with what a clownshow the team was during that 21/22 season and Murtough and Woodward are the prime culprits there.
Solskjaer dropped Amad indefinitely for 2 months after he scored against AC Milan and pretty much refused to play him, going with James instead for the second half of the season. The only time he played in that period was for the last 8 minutes of a second leg Europa game where we won the first leg 4-0. I wouldn't call that "being used".

jesperjaap

Don’t get me wrong, I think Pellistri and Amad are fantastic players, Amad in particular looks like he could be very special - but you are right to say they have been so poorly managed in their time here. I hope Erik puts that right and gives them both game time to integrate into the squad.
My point was that we were desperate for a RW and totally stuffed the summer window chasing Sancho so then plumped last minute to get Pellistri and Amad rather than buying them as part of a positive plan to develop the youth team.
Similarly now we are desperate for a striker and have missed out on Kane, overspent on Hojlund and are being linked to unknown young prospects as a plan B. I just wish we had a coherent transfer/squad building plan and stuck to it. Our transfer business is so scattergun and underwhelming.
Like Hannibal and even Martial, these are prospects that hadn even played though and Pellestri hadnt played much either. I know little of Leonardo, but he is making apeparances and gettignexperience above youth football, just in that regard, cant really compare. Signing top prospects that were always a year or two away from the first team is taking a gamble on the future, a ridiculously high one in two of those cases, one of which has already failed.

We are talkign about a second striker here, that is already playing for a relatively big club and scoring goals

Grande

Solskjaer dropped Amad indefinitely for 2 months after he scored against AC Milan and pretty much refused to play him, going with James instead for the second half of the season. The only time he played in that period was for the last 8 minutes of a second leg Europa game where we won the first leg 4-0. I wouldn't call that "being used".
‘Indefinitely for two months’, that’s a first.

OleGunnar20

I like him, he's a clever player and a decent finisher from what I've seen - but he's not good enough to be a backup for us at the moment in my opinion.

cj_sparky

Pellistri was signed on deadline day 4th October 2020, along with Telles, Cavani and the confirmation that Amad would join in January. He went on to play for the 23's in the PL2 and Football League Trophy. He also made the bench once for a Champions League group game, he the went on loan to Alaves on deadline day of the Winter window.

luke511

‘Indefinitely for two months’, that’s a first.
It was pretty much indefinitely, bar the end of the season where he got a rare appearance in the league (2 months after scoring vs AC Milan) because Solskjaer prioritised Europa and the B team was used vs Leicester and Wolves, and then he didn’t use him in the 21/22 season leading up to his sacking.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If this signing isn't expensive then we should go for him as long as he is not injure and ready to start. These isn't a point for waiting for Martial and Hoijujd to be fit. Martial has regress in the last 2 years, he is not a reliable goal scorer and unfit 80% of the time. Hoijund is still injure and unable to prove he can be a consistent scorer so I think it is worth a punt getting him in. I think he is low risk and high reward player as long as the cost is low.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This is the sort of signing I want to see rather than the likes of players heading into the latter stages of their careers like Kane.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ten Hag's comments would seem to suggest a signing in this position is unlikely.

retroauro

Looks pretty slow going by these videos. We need more pace in the attacking third. Technique looks decent but nothing exceptional.

Grande

It was pretty much indefinitely, bar the end of the season where he got a rare appearance in the league (2 months after scoring vs AC Milan) because Solskjaer prioritised Europa and the B team was used vs Leicester and Wolves, and then he didn’t use him in the 21/22 season leading up to his sacking.
When Diallo played AC Milan in March, coming on for an injured Martial, he had 4 games for Atalanta and on sub appearance for United on his CV. After, he came on as a sub two games later vs Leicester in the cup semi, and five times more during the next two months, including a starting spot vs Leicester in the league. Diallo never played as much for United as in those two months you claim he was ‘dropped indefinetly’.

Next season we had Sancho and Greenwood supposed to compete for that RW spot, and Diallo was going on a loan to Feyenoord until he was injured in training. Later he got exactly one game under Rangnick and zero under Ten Hag.

This claim that Diallo and Pellistri were ‘mismanaged under Solskjær’, two players that not yet were ready to play at the level of Alaves and Rangers, is based on a mix up of facts you probably just dont’remember very well.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Can't wait to see him sign for Chelsea from Brighton for 150mil in 2 years.

glasgow 21

Imagine the meltdown on here if United were bidding for a 5ft 7 unknown CB named L. Martinez from Defensa Y Justica for 7m.

luke511

When Diallo played AC Milan in March, coming on for an injured Martial, he had 4 games for Atalanta and on sub appearance for United on his CV. After, he came on as a sub two games later vs Leicester in the cup semi, and five times more during the next two months, including a starting spot vs Leicester in the league. Diallo never played as much for United as in those two months you claim he was ‘dropped indefinetly’.

Next season we had Sancho and Greenwood supposed to compete for that RW spot, and Diallo was going on a loan to Feyenoord until he was injured in training. Later he got exactly one game under Rangnick and zero under Ten Hag.

This claim that Diallo and Pellistri were ‘mismanaged under Solskjær’, two players that not yet were ready to play at the level of Alaves and Rangers, is based on a mix up of facts you probably just dont’remember very well.
This was the order of his appearances:

3/11/21 AC Milan EL - 45 minutes - Scores a worldie
3/21/21 Leicester FAC - 6 minutes
4/15/21 Granada EL - 8 minutes
5/11/21 Leicester PL - 78 minutes

I'm not sure where you're getting 5 more appearances in between AC Milan and Leicester from? Indefinitely was an exaggeration but he played a total of 14 minutes for utd in a 2 month period after contributing towards us knocking out AC Milan with a quality goal. He didn't play much football in a 12 month period between joining us and then going on loan for Rangers, his rustiness there was down to bad management from Solskjaer followed by a bad injury. He was ready to contribute as proven by his performance vs AC Milan but was shunned to a total of 14 minutes in 2 months, whilst we had Dan James stinking up the place on a regular basis. My point still stands that Solskjaer avoided to use him so he could get his main target, Sancho, in the summer. This decision was the end of him as he spent the budget on him instead of a much needed defensive mid to replace McTominay in the double pivot.

colombianmancunian

Anyone has watched him? Read some people comparing him to CH14 which is a good thing and something we lack. If he can be our Julian Alvarez, the I’m all in for this guy. He even costs exactly what we are making from Henderson, so it’s FFP even.

Yes, he is coming from a lower league, but Chicharito came from an even worst league and had immediate impact.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

Anyone has watched him? Read some people comparing him to CH14 which is a good thing and something we lack. If he can be our Julian Alvarez, the I’m all in for this guy. He even costs exactly what we are making from Henderson, so tus FFP even.

Yes, he is coming from a lower league, but Chicharito came from an even worst league and had immediate impact.
Chicharito was far more prolific though. He had scored 21 goals in his final season. Marcos Leonardo has eight goals in about 14.5 90s but three of those are penalties. On paper, Marcos Leonardo doesn't even appear to be a standout in the Brazilian League. Compare to Endrick who's 3/4 years younger and is maxed out on all attacking stats pretty much.

jesperjaap

If this signing isn't expensive then we should go for him as long as he is not injure and ready to start. These isn't a point for waiting for Martial and Hoijujd to be fit. Martial has regress in the last 2 years, he is not a reliable goal scorer and unfit 80% of the time. Hoijund is still injure and unable to prove he can be a consistent scorer so I think it is worth a punt getting him in. I think he is low risk and high reward player as long as the cost is low.
Bar a spell for a few months under SOlkjear I would argue he regressed after two months not the last 2years, how he is still here is quite shocking.

Its very frustrating that it is totally obvious to pretty much anybody that we need a back up striker and centre back in terms of squad depth and failure to move on Maguire and Martial seems to be a big part of this, both big buys, big wages and shite performances

Woziak

We do if the story we are selling Mason Greenwood to one of the Spanish clubs for €40m is true.
That’s a summer transfer, United will do nothing this January bar maybe a striker loan deal, but we let at least 3 or 4 players leave?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So no one else wanted him but United are the mugs for not signing him?

The reason players like Leonardo go to Benfica is because they know it's a stepping stone if they do well. It's way to big of a risk for other clubs to take him on as it's a gamble, one that clubs like Benfica are willing to take.

He is no where near the level needed for United currently and won't be for a while, he could possibly go to the Portuguese league, put in some decent numbers in a weaker European league, enough for a bigger European club to have their heads turned and pay his release clause in two seasons time.

SparkedIntoLife

Doesn't pass the eye test for me, especially not in the Prem. I also wasn't bowled over by Vitor Roque who is similarly hyped as a Brazilian striker wonderkid, though he has that Tevez like low centre of gravity and grittiness that I think makes him a better prospect than Leonardo.

There's a real lack of promising young strikers out there, in my view. Loads of very exciting attacking left wingers though. We missed out big with Haaland in my opinion (not that he'd ever have come to us).