Marcus Rashford MBE MBE | wins again

Plymouth Red

Where are you getting these stats from?

He has 5 goals and 4 assists in 11 starts and one sub app. His G+A contribution is one every 114 minutes, a very respectable figure.

80% pass success rate is perfectly acceptable for an attacking player and its actually 82% in the PL.

You have him ranked 1307 in the PL for defensive stats. For a start he's an attacker and secondly there are only 549 players in the whole league.

Am I missing something here?
The stats come from different sources and articles. Infogol is pretty good for example.
https://www.infogol.net/en/player/marcus-rashford/3650
If you look at last season against this one so far, his stats aren’t quite as good but we’re only a third of the way through.
This is another ok source and you will see it poses fair challenges about his decision making and shooting.
https://www.footballcritic.com/marcus-rashford/profile/85054

From this article you can see he’s performing around the level of CR7 at a similar point in their careers.
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...s-man-utd-record-at-22-to-cristiano-ronaldos/

My question consistently has been whether Rashford is developing as a player. I watched him last night and thought he had a great game. His finishing was as good as you will see. Brilliant!
I think this display is due in part to his growing understanding with Telles, too.

The unanswer question is whether he will plateau now or kick on like Ronald did. My gut feeling is that he will gently plateau because he doesn’t show he is honing his football intelligence quickly enough. I don’t have a crystal ball, I don’t want him to become a Welbeck, but equally I don’t buy into the narrative that he is world class on a consistent basis. He could be, the makings are there, but only time will tell.

Withnail

The stats come from different sources and articles. Infogol is pretty good for example.
https://www.infogol.net/en/player/marcus-rashford/3650
If you look at last season against this one so far, his stats aren’t quite as good but we’re only a third of the way through.
This is another ok source and you will see it poses fair challenges about his decision making and shooting.
https://www.footballcritic.com/marcus-rashford/profile/85054

From this article you can see he’s performing around the level of CR7 at a similar point in their careers.
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...s-man-utd-record-at-22-to-cristiano-ronaldos/

My question consistently has been whether Rashford is developing as a player. I watched him last night and thought he had a great game. His finishing was as good as you will see. Brilliant!
I think this display is due in part to his growing understanding with Telles, too.

The unanswer question is whether he will plateau now or kick on like Ronald did. My gut feeling is that he will gently plateau because he doesn’t show he is honing his football intelligence quickly enough. I don’t have a crystal ball, I don’t want him to become a Welbeck, but equally I don’t buy into the narrative that he is world class on a consistent basis. He could be, the makings are there, but only time will tell.
Is this a thing?

I've never seen anyone claim Rashford is world class on a consistent basis, only that he's a very good young player who has that potential.

Withnail

Yeah that’s what I mean, most top teams and a lot of players look amazing on MoTD but when you watch full matches you can come away with a different outlook.
I totally agree and have said this to people slating our players before. I highly doubt they watch every minute of the team of whichever other player they are using for their comparison.

Another issue I feel is that being invested in the outcome means people remember the bad touches or poor finishes more. If you're watching a game as a neutral and X player has a bad touch in front of goal it really doesn't matter to you too much so you'll probably gloss over it.

However, if it's Pogba giving the ball away or Rashford fluffing his lines in an important game it'll stick with you and don't get me started on confirmation bias.

cyberman

RUCK4444

He was brilliant yesterday, a bit calmer finishing and he would have had his hat trick comfortably.

He has all the attributes to be a top player for a long time for us, he has off games but he keeps going and I respect that, unlike when Martial is out of form Rashford still makes sure he influences the game.

That said both were good yesterday, much better movement up front from the forwards which is good to see. Keep it up.

cyberman

Slightly more than half were here but not contributing a huge amount towards the 81 pts seeing as they weren't first choice.
And Ole coaching the best out of them, while Jose couldn't, is surely a massive plus in Oles column?

Plymouth Red

Is this a thing?

I've never seen anyone claim Rashford is world class on a consistent basis, only that he's a very good young player who has that potential.
I agree with your description but some folk do get a bit more carried away, which isn’t helpful In terms of expectation management.

MEN
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-utd-marcus-rashford-goals-17485225
Saha in Goal magazine
"Marcus Rashford is a world-class forward but he isn’t yet a world-class striker,"
Talksport
https://talksport.com/football/7810...ld-class-stats-jason-cundy-man-united-neymar/

Withnail

And Ole coaching the best out of them, while Jose couldn't, is surely a massive plus in Oles column?
Maybe, I just think the comparison isn't really valid as the first team has changed so much.

You could say he's trusted Rashford, Shaw, Martial and improved them.

However, Matic isn't the same player anymore unfortunately and no longer first choice. Some like McT were too young or only finding their feet (Lindelof).

Withnail

Fair enough. I don't know how much is a narrative or just the usual lazy recency bias type analysis you get now.

SER19

Should be in our all time top 10 scorers after 3 more seasons. Will still be 26-27.

Hes turning into a brilliant player and his dribbling is getting better and better

Gavinb33

I can't believe this website sometimes there are actually United fans who want to drag Rashford down unbelievable.

As someone pointed out a wide forward who gets a goal or assist every 114 minutes in the league this season is playing very well, and considering a truncated pre season and not having a settled on form attack with him, with Martial off form and banned, Greenwood having a sophomore slump which is understandable and Cavani coming late in the window

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Might be able to push 25-30 goals this year IMO. Yesterday was the most explosive hes been in ages. And its not just a space thing. Confidence, and willingness to be direct on the ball and take players on. The back injury made him go into his shell for a bit, not taking players on as much and being more cautious in general, but yesterday looked fully fit and firing, and as fast as he's looked in a year. Good to see. He's developed into a brilliant player, far better than what I thought he could reach when he first broke through.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Thank you. Top ten isn't bad now, is it? Especially considering it's not all about stats and some goals are more important than others. Also, you forgot to mention that he is ahead of Son?

Rashy is a good winger. He is DEFINITELY good enough for United, even if he may not be the best in the world. And in his good form (like today against Leeds) he is super valuable for us. If Dan James was nearly as good on the right wing as Rashy is on the left, we would be top of the league.

passing-wind

Showed the significance of his importance in the team. I understand the complaints of his lack of consistency but he's an impactful player. Look at the run Mason went on down the left which was able to penetrate Leicester's defence. Was one of the only threatening phases of play in the second half.

That is what Marcus offers even in his odd form. I'm not saying Rashford playing today would have changed the tie but every fan knows we don't have the best of coaches in Solskjaer so the specifics of certain players individual influence is going to often have a bigger contribution tactically compared to the instructions of the staff.

dal

It’s why we need two world class forwards, we need a squad.

Martial, VDB, Pogba can go to fund them.

Haaland and Grealish in and a DM.

Then we are ready to go.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
Honored today as a "Member of the British Empire". Guess it wasn't official untill now? Headline on Belgium's leading sportsite Sporza. Commendable of him to use his influence to put pressure on the governement which paid off aswell. More than a footballer, hats of to him!