Marcus Rashford MBE MBE | wins again

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He has scored 3 times in 13 matches, making him the number 186 scorer in the Premier League so far. His conversion rate for shots to goals is 11.54.
4 assists ranks 45 in the PL And 7 chances created ranks number 166.
Defensively, he has won 7 ariel duels and 10 tackles but no blocks. Based on these stats, he ranks 1307 in the PL.
Yes, he can run fast with the ball at his feet, yes, he can beat his man. That pace won't last for ever. Yes, he can score spectacular goals, but not often enough.
He regularly makes poor decisions about whether to pass (80% success rate) or shoot and his work rate is questionable, especially in terms of challenging and chasing down opponents. There's no obvious sign that his football intelligence is growing at the same pace as his appearances.
This season, he's been disappointing and if that doesn't change, there must be a question mark over him.
Great achievements in his non-football activities but that's not what we're judging him on when he's on the pitch.
In his last full season of Premier League Rashford scored 17 goals, and provided 9 assists. That is a very respectable tally for any winger in PL.
In the current season (including today's game) he has scored 5 goals in 12 PL games. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, either.

If you expect Rashford to be Neymar or Messi level winger, he probably won't be one. But how many PL wingers can you name with better stats, last season than Rashford?

I am waiting…

treble_winner

In his last full season of Premier League Rashford scored 17 goals, and provided 9 assists. That is a very respectable tally for any winger in PL.
In the current season (including today's game) he has scored 5 goals in 12 PL games. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, either.

If you expect Rashford to be Neymar or Messi level winger, he probably won't be one. But how many PL wingers can you name with better stats, last season than Rashford?

I am waiting…
But we are paying Rashford premium salary worthy of a world-class forward right? Just being respectable is not enough. Our expectation of him is to be world-class, sweeping defenders apart at the level of Robben, Ribery or Bale (Before he became injury-prone)...

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
But we are paying Rashford premium salary worthy of a world-class forward right? Just being respectable is not enough. Our expectation of him is to be world-class, sweeping defenders apart at the level of Robben, Ribery or Bale (Before he became injury-prone)...
How much do you think he's getting paid?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Around 200,000/week. And that's higher than Son Heung Min and Kevin de Bruyne. So I'd call that's a salary for world-class players.
I'd suggest any player doing what Robben, Ribery or Bale did, at their peak, would not find it very funny if you suggested they were only worth 200k a week in 2020.

RedDevil@84

Hope he finds his confidence and bangs them in when he gets the chances. We desperately need someone to start scoring. Especially with Greenwood and Martial being unable to find the net often.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has scored 3 times in 13 matches, making him the number 186 scorer in the Premier League so far. His conversion rate for shots to goals is 11.54.
Defensively, he has won 7 ariel duels and 10 tackles but no blocks. Based on these stats, he ranks 1307 in the PL.
Yes, he can run fast with the ball at his feet, yes, he can beat his man. That pace won't last for ever. Yes, he can score spectacular goals, but not often enough.
He regularly makes poor decisions about whether to pass (80% success rate) or shoot and his work rate is questionable, especially in terms of challenging and chasing down opponents. There's no obvious sign that his football intelligence is growing at the same pace as his appearances.
This season, he's been disappointing and if that doesn't change, there must be a question mark over him.
Great achievements in his non-football activities but that's not what we're judging him on when he's on the pitch.
Now he has scored 5 goals which means only 11 players have scored more than Rashford.

He has 4 assists, only 3 players have more than 4 assists.

He has contributed to 9 league goals this season, only 9 players have more Goals + Assists than Rashford in the league.

meamth

I'd suggest any player doing what Robben, Ribery or Bale did, at their peak, would not find it very funny if you suggested they were only worth 200k a week in 2020.
Rashford didn't just bring goals and assists to the side, he brings determination, work rate and world class attitude to be a United player.

You don't need to have world class output to gain that much money, he is an important figure in our squad. One of the leaders, so he deserves that salary.

He might never be prolific, but he can drive us forward.

treble_winner

Rashford didn't just bring goals and assists to the side, he brings determination, work rate and world class attitude to be a United player.

You don't need to have world class output to gain that much money, he is an important figure in our squad. One of the leaders, so he deserves that salary.

He might never be prolific, but he can drive us forward.
I guess this is the way how Jordan Henderson is rated very highly by Liverpool fans.

Classical Mechanic

Where are you getting these stats from?

He has 5 goals and 4 assists in 11 starts and one sub app. His G+A contribution is one every 114 minutes, a very respectable figure.

80% pass success rate is perfectly acceptable for an attacking player and its actually 82% in the PL.

You have him ranked 1307 in the PL for defensive stats. For a start he's an attacker and secondly there are only 549 players in the whole league.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Oldyella

My only concern is burnt out. Hes played a lot of games for his age, hope hes not burnt out by the time he should be hitting his prime.

Judas

Open to offers
Burn out is a concern with him, and I still wonder if he's 100% fit.

But I just love him, even when he misses a good chance, his head doesn't drop, he keeps going and more often than not he gets another and tucks it away. Yeah his finishing isn't always consistent, but much like Bruno he's one that always seems to have some influence on our games, be it an assist or a goal. He's vital to our future, and it's a shame he's not totally loved.

HowYouDoin

Never seen a player so close yet so far away from being world class.
Again I do think he reaches it. If he can get to Son's level now and maintain it for about 4 years or so, that will be very respectable prime.
He is 5 years younger than Son, too.

I really do wonder how much of it has to do with coaching. Maybe Rashford has just peaked as much as he can under Solskjaer and he will need a better manager to get to that next level.

He scored twice yesterday, could have scored 4 and he made it look so effortless. Yet often he is invisible. Baffles the mind. Yet in all fairness no player could have done anything vs Leipzig or City, the setup was just too negative so probably its due to coaching too.

Never seen a player so close yet so far away from being world class.
Again I do think he reaches it. If he can get to Son's level now and maintain it for about 4 years or so, that will be very respectable prime.
He is 5 years younger than Son, too.

I really do wonder how much of it has to do with coaching. Maybe Rashford has just peaked as much as he can under Solskjaer and he will need a better manager to get to that next level.

He scored twice yesterday, could have scored 4 and he made it look so effortless. Yet often he is invisible. Baffles the mind. Yet in all fairness no player could have done anything vs Leipzig or City, the setup was just too negative so probably its due to coaching too.
Rashford is playing his best football ever under Ole!

Have people forgotten what he was like under Jose?

Ffs

HowYouDoin

Rashford is playing his best football ever under Ole!

Have people forgotten what he was like under Jose?

Ffs
Rashford himself said that it was tough under Jose but Jose made him a better player.
Ole then allowed him to "express himself" more but over time Ole has become very stale, predictable and negative. There is no pattern to our play, there is nothing really coaching wise, without Bruno's creativity we have 0 offence. We cant create anything when Bruno is out, we are a one man team in so many ways precisely cuz we have 0 coaching.
Plus Rashford was 21 under Mourinho. He has obviously improved a lot since. Was still a young player under Mourinho, he is a grown man now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he can find this consistency every week he would be world class. His speed is frightening, genuinely rapid.

I loved the moment he nutmegged the RB and then sped off like a rocket, the midfielder tried to wipe him out but he just dodged it and carried on going, I couldn't believe it.

The movement for his first goal is exactly what he needs to keep doing, beautifully bent run which caught the defence asleep.

The annoying thing is he seems to miss the "easier" chances where he has more time to think, he's an instinctive finisher. Could have had 4 goals last night which is both a good and bad thing.

One thing for sure is he seems to be over his injuries now so lets hope he can keep this form going. When he's in that mood he's unplayable.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
There is a lot of additional pressure on him right now given how none of the other forwards have turned up for one-third of the season. If Martial/Greenwood had even 10+ goals between them right now, Rashford wouldn't be under such scrutiny.

meamth

Rashford himself said that it was tough under Jose but Jose made him a better player.
Ole then allowed him to "express himself" more but over time Ole has become very stale, predictable and negative. There is no pattern to our play, there is nothing really coaching wise, without Bruno's creativity we have 0 offence. We cant create anything when Bruno is out, we are a one man team in so many ways precisely cuz we have 0 coaching.
Plus Rashford was 21 under Mourinho. He has obviously improved a lot since. Was still a young player under Mourinho, he is a grown man now.
Plot twist, Ole asked Bruno to express himself more.

What are you going to say?

You think Mourinho will let Bruno try something every time he got the ball?

HowYouDoin

Plot twist, Ole asked Bruno to express himself more.

What are you going to say?

You think Mourinho will let Bruno try something every time he got the ball?
I dont wanna get into Mourinho vs Ole again but we did win 81 points with Mourinho and that was before Bruno. Last year if not for Bruno we probably would have won like 50 points or so.

We are so dependent on one player its ridiculous. Our whole offensive setup is just give it to Bruno and make him come up with something.

Yes I do think that obviously is holding Rashford back.
If you ask me he isnt world class just yet due to coaching.

Drainy

Who knows football more, people who play and are involved in the game at the highest levels, or reactionary forum morons who infest the match day thread on redcafe.

A question for the ages

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As mr Cartwheel has rightfully pointed out, when Rashford plays badly, it is absolutely terrible. For some reason people seem to deliberately ignore these constant poor performances, while with martial even his body language is analyzed.

Rashford has had how many seasons in top level football now?He has been consistently inconsistent barring the three month period last season, due to his poor technical skill for the top level, and brainless decisions.

Can’t say the same about Mane’s skill and football iq. He has been a consistently great player. Sometimes I don’t know if our fans watch the games objectively and actually see what goes on on the field, or have simply bought into narratives such as “home grown future star” etc.
Jesus wept! :lol:

Can you be just a little more patronising?

El Zoido

Come in to this thread to bask in the joy of our fanbase appreciating this superstar player we have, and all I see is people saying is he worth his salary. What the feck.

meamth

I dont wanna get into Mourinho vs Ole again but we did win 81 points with Mourinho and that was before Bruno. Last year if not for Bruno we probably would have won like 50 points or so.

We are so dependent on one player its ridiculous. Our whole offensive setup is just give it to Bruno and make him come up with something.

So you're saying Ole didn't set up Bruno into the team as the main playmaker, penalty taker, and talisman? It worked for Ole, he puts his trust on Bruno, he delivered. Credits to Ole and management for signing Bruno and make him shine.

Why does Bruno the only one gets the credits?

As for Rashford, he was always delivering when it matters, he is not at peak consistency yet, but he'll come trough. Nothing to do with bad coaching.

What I can say is compare the Rashford when he first broke trough until now, he has evolved. Credits to the same coaching team that has been there all these years. Bad coaching? Think again.

cyberman

So this squad got to 81 points before Bruno so that means our (hopefully) similar return now is down to Bruno?
This doesnt make any sense at all.

Nick7

I do wonder how the narrative around our players would change if people actually watched games by other teams rather than just the highlights. Like, going by RedCafe expert opinion United players are the only players that are inconsistent and make “brainless” decisions. Other teams players never do that, because they never show them in the highlights package on MoTD.

Withnail

So this squad got to 81 points before Bruno so that means our (hopefully) similar return now is down to Bruno?
This doesnt make any sense at all.
It's not even close to the same squad so it's a nonsense comparison.

Also Bruno wouldn't be anywhere near a Jose team. He'd be bollocked out of it for losing the ball, shunted out to either wing for a bit, totally lose confidence and end up sold within a year or two.

Withnail

I do wonder how the narrative around our players would change if people actually watched games by other teams rather than just the highlights. Like, going by RedCafe expert opinion United players are the only players that are inconsistent and make “brainless” decisions. Other teams players never do that, because they never show them in the highlights package on MoTD.
We look amazing on MOTD btw.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Feels like he's a bit of a scorer of great goals but not a great goalscorer right now, but that will come, there's no doubt he's improved his finishing in the last year or two.

He's a fecking superstar anyway. I'd be surprised if he's not one of the world's best players once he hits 26/27 years of age. Bristling with talent.

Sylar

I believe some bellends on here branded him "Rashford"
And rashbeck.

Rashford has been our second best player this season IMO.

We need a few more of those balls over the top for Rashford to get onto as it turns the defence and creates more space for the midfield

cyberman

It's not even close to the same squad so it's a nonsense comparison.

Also Bruno wouldn't be anywhere near a Jose team. He'd be bollocked out of it for losing the ball, shunted out to either wing for a bit, totally lose confidence and end up sold within a year or two.
Scott, Fred, Pogba Matic midfield. Rashford and Martial up top. Its only Lukaku thats gone?
Id also argue our defence was on par back then with DDG being Superman making the difference. Hell 3 of our starting back 5 are the same as well after saying that.

Plymouth Red

I am waiting…
Sorry to keep you waiting.
Seven.
https://www.givemesport.com/1538191...er-based-on-their-statistics-from-this-season

adnando

I'm getting real sick of this narrative where Ole just smiles and tells the players to "express themselves".
If you can't see a pattern of play, is it because there's no pattern or just because you can't seem to acknowledge it?

We don't have any coaching because all we can create goes through Bruno?
How about him being a player that Ole wanted to trust with the creativity of the team, a role Pogba used to have.
I find it utterly bizarre that people blame managers for being dependent on their best players.

I wonder what the narrative will change to when we manage to play both Pogba and Bruno consistently together, and share more of the burden of being creative.

Rashford has 12 goals and 5 assists in 20 games in all competitions before Christmas and people call for his head for being inconsistent.
Our fans are so reactive it hurts.

Withnail

Scott, Fred, Pogba Matic midfield. Rashford and Martial up top. Its only Lukaku thats gone?
Id also argue our defence was on par back then with DDG being Superman making the difference. Hell 3 of our starting back 5 are the same as well after saying that.
Are you sure you're thinking of 2017/2018?

Take a look at the appearances that year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Manchester_United_F.C._season

Fred, Maguire, AWB, Fernandes weren't here and Greenwood was in the youth teams.

In the league McT got 7 starts, Lindelof 13, Shaw 8. Jesse Lingard more appearances than Martial and more starts than Rashford.