Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

Dazzmondo

He's been rubbish the majority of his time at the club. He's an arrogant show pony.

Replacements for his abject showing this season shouldn't be hard for a club like United to do and if it is then God help us.

Rashford isn't and will never be the talisman.

Sell and move on
Considering the last 2 wingers we signed were Sancho and Antony I think this is a pretty naive thing to say

Statue of Limitations

Rashford isn't an elite player. If a stupid offer comes in, grab it and say thanks.
We aren't exactly fending off suitors with a stick are we?

Stuck up for him for years, but he hasn't done enough and has zero consistency.

Statue of Limitations

Considering the last 2 wingers we signed were Sancho and Antony I think this is a pretty naive thing to say
Both of those looked unreal in their previous teams, and too many top level players have flopped here.
Something wrong with what we do with players, don't know why so many have turned to dust here.

Am hopeful that the next manager will put an end to this.

Irwin99

I don't think we should sell him tbh. I don't see us being able to get in any player that can offer 20+ goals per season to replace him. Rashford's reached a 30 goal season. There are very few players in the world capable of that. I understand the frustration with his performances this season but who do people realistically think we're going to bring in to replace him? He's been rubbish this season and he's still one of our top scorers.
Rashford himself hasn't got 20+goals or 20 goals AND assists combined in two of his last three seasons so, he's kind of failing that metric.

Even if Rashford did produce the goals it really doesn't always work out that way that when a top striker/winger leaves that it negatively impacts the attack the following season. Look at Ruud or Cristiano Ronaldo leaving, we scored far more goals after the seasons they left than their final seasons here; the goals were just spread out better among the team.

Dazzmondo

Both of those looked unreal in their previous teams, and too many top level players have flopped here.
Something wrong with what we do with players, don't know why so many have turned to dust here.

That's fair for Sancho, but sorry, there was plenty reason to believe Antony would flop. I wasn't happy with us going for him at all, and there were plenty others also, especially at the price we ended up signing him for.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How so?

now we have Ineos who are apparently going to put some actual thought into the idea of new signings. Not the clowns from before.

So if they get it wrong the god help us no ?

Statue of Limitations

That's fair for Sancho, but sorry, there was plenty reason to believe Antony would flop. I wasn't happy with us going for him at all, and there were plenty others also, especially at the price we ended up signing him for.
Yeah, they fleeced us good and proper.
Overspending on dross has happened too much too.

We seem to always pay a "oh it's Man Utd" tax when in for players.
That Fellaini fiasco still irks me.

Dazzmondo

Rashford himself hasn't got 20+goals or 20 goals AND assists combined in two of his last three seasons so, he's kind of failing that metric.

Even if Rashford did produce the goals it really doesn't always work out that way that when a top striker/winger leaves that it negatively impacts the attack the following season. Look at Ruud or Cristiano Ronaldo leaving, we scored far more goals after the seasons they left than their final seasons here; the goals were just spread out better among the team.
Rashford did for 3 of his last 5 seasons though.

Your 2nd point is true. However, it doesn't always work out that way either. When we sold Ronaldo the 1st time for instance, we lost the league the following season after retaining it the previous 2 seasons. I don't know, it feels like a big risk to me. It's not like we've looked significantly better in attack and scored heaps more goals when Rashford hasn't played. We've looked pretty poor whether or not he was in the team.

Dazzmondo

How so?

now we have Ineos who are apparently going to put some actual thought into the idea of new signings. Not the clowns from before.

So if they get it wrong the god help us no ?
It's hard to find great wingers that score goals. There really aren't many around Europe that score 20+ goals. In the top 5 leagues in Europe, the only wingers to score 12+ league goals this season are Mbappe, Palmer, Salah, Bowen, Foden, Son, Saka and Vinicius. Obviously most of these would be impossible to sign. Bowen will be nearly 28 by the start of next season so probably not the right age profile and he'd be expensive.

Even if the recruitment team does a great job, there's a very strong chance the winger they find might not develop into a superstar for 3+ years. He often gets criticised for his poor finishing, but there actually aren't many wingers with more than Garnacho's 7 league goals this season. Rashford in a terrible season, also has 7 league goals.

tomaldinho1

It's hard to find great wingers that score goals. There really aren't many around Europe that score 20+ goals. In the top 5 leagues in Europe, the only wingers to score 12+ league goals this season are Mbappe, Palmer, Salah, Bowen, Foden, Son, Saka and Vinicius. Obviously most of these would be impossible to sign. Bowen will be nearly 28 by the start of next season so probably not the right age profile and he'd be expensive.

Even if the recruitment team does a great job, there's a very strong chance the winger they find might not develop into a superstar for 3+ years. He often gets criticised for his poor finishing, but there actually aren't many wingers with more than Garnacho's 7 league goals this season. Rashford in a terrible season, also has 7 league goals.
You only really need them to get into double figures when you’re not reliant on one or two people though. Look at Arsenal they have outscored everyone and Saka is their top scorer on 15. Then Havertz and Trossard are the only others in double figures.

Dazzmondo

You only really need them to get into double figures when you’re not reliant on one or two people though. Look at Arsenal they have outscored everyone and Saka is their top scorer on 15. Then Havertz and Trossard are the only others in double figures.
I understand that, but Arsenal have better attacking players than us right now. Martinelli's had a poor season, but he got 15 league goals himself the previous season.

If Hojlund was to have a big improvement next season that could potentially remove the problem a bit, but I've not been very impressed with him so far tbh. I actually think he's a great finisher, but I'm concerned that he's not getting into positions to receive the ball enough, and I also think his 1st touch is very poor. When you have a player like Bruno supplying you, you should be getting more chances on goal than he is.

Garnacho is getting the chances, which is very promising, but I suspect it will take him a bit longer to get his finishing to the level we need. Personally, I prefer him on the right at the moment because he's very good at creating chances and he's less tempted to shoot constantly when on that side than when he's on the left.

Maybe if we are looking better in the 1st month of the season, that will give us more time to consider whether or not we can get by without Rashford in the case where a big offer does come in.

reddyornot

How about swapping him for Salah.
Wouldn't that be fun.
Not sure the NHS could cope.

Wing Attack Plan R

So much time and energy spent slating Rashford's "attitude" and work rate, instead of just saying his goals + assists return hasn't been good enough. Why does it need to go from that to abuse, especially from our own supporters? He's had a bad season, anyone stop to think there might be reasons, like when he played through pain and delayed surgery to be available for England? There's something that's causing this decline, it's either injury or mental. Those suggesting he's trying to get TH sacked, or he doesn't care, I don't know what motivates you to turn on your own like that.

Tarrou

So much time and energy spent slating Rashford's "attitude" and work rate, instead of just saying his goals + assists return hasn't been good enough. Why does it need to go from that to abuse, especially from our own supporters? He's had a bad season, anyone stop to think there might be reasons, like when he played through pain and delayed surgery to be available for England? There's something that's causing this decline, it's either injury or mental. Those suggesting he's trying to get TH sacked, or he doesn't care, I don't know what motivates you to turn on your own like that.
its probably his half-assed attitude on the pitch for the past year

quadrant

This is a huge dilemma. Form wise, you'd happily accept a big offer for a player that can be amazing on his day but who struggles to maintain form over a long period.

But Rashford is one of very few truly iconic players at the club, particularly so here in Manchester. My 6 yo came home from school yesterday, when I asked what she learned about that day, she said "Rosa Parks and Marcus Rashford". Every kid in the park with a United top has Rashford on the back. Despite City's dominance on the field, Rashford is the most popular player in the city. I'm wary about severing that link that so many fans have with the club.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
He is not going to City/Liverpool for obvious reasons.
He is not close to good enough for Bayern/Madrid with the players the have.
Barca have money problems so thats gone aswell.

Leaves only PSG and Arsenal.
I hope as hell Arteta is not stupid to get him.
Only basically leaves PSG who have showed interest in the past and are ok with paying insane wages.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Hopefully this gives him the 'kick up the arse' that he needs, and he clearly gets the message, you're not indispensable.
I hear a lot of people talking about "loss of form" but for me, loss of form isn't Rashford's issue this season.

All players will lose form, you regain your form by working harder than previously, and eventually form will return, but we have seen the opposite with Rashford, prancing about like the Sugar Plum Fairy.
I expect him to still be here next season, and I expect a very big return from him.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There's a lot of miserable people out there.... and topics such as these tend to draw them in so they can have a good rant, put someone down, and feel a bit better about themselves and their miserable lives....

It is what it is. Posters have it as part of their identity at this point....

Conor

It's because people have eyes, his performances aren't simply someone not converting chances. It's clear as day to anyone watching him play that a lot of the time he isn't putting in the required effort, and doesn't have the right attitude. That is incredibly frustrating for fans, look at the criticism of Hojlund, it's of a far different tone, in part because people see him nearly die on the pitch every game he plays.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
It's because people have eyes, his performances aren't simply someone not converting chances. It's clear as day to anyone watching him play that a lot of the time he isn't putting in the required effort, and doesn't have the right attitude. That is incredibly frustrating for fans, look at the criticism of Hojlund, it's of a far different tone, in part because people see him nearly die on the pitch every game he plays.
Effort is, mostly, fair game.

Throwing his salary in, in the vein of “for <made up number of the week> it’s a total disgrace”, tends to come across as a bit green-eyed and pathetic.

LordSpud

Throwing his salary in, in the vein of “for <made up number of the week> it’s a total disgrace”, tends to come across as a bit green-eyed and pathetic.
If I'm a team mate of his and seeing him a) start before me every game, b) never get subbed off regardless of how little effort he's putting in, c) getting paid 3-4 times as much as me for no noticeable reason...

I would be sick and pissed off.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger

how so? Isnt there a strong correlation between wages and performance

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think our best chance of selling him is to another English club. I have never bought the PSG narrative. It was manufactured nonsense by his brother/agent.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
As a neutral I don't think so. He is quality in the right system. His body language suggested his lost confidence in the head coach and he gave up already. I can understand fans are mad at him because he can't give up and collect his big pay cheque every week.

My guess is ETH will probably leave the club before Rashford, and Rashford will get another chance to prove himself under a new coach.
This is the way. It's not even that ETH needs to leave (though he will). Rashford most needs a functioning midfield and defense pushing up behind him. At the moment he's trying to dance through too many bodies because other players aren't opening up spaces for him because they're sitting too deep.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Antony never looked unreal in any team.

Oldyella

I think our best chance of selling him is to another English club. I have never bought the PSG narrative. It was manufactured nonsense by his brother/agent.
If Newcastle didn't have ffp issues could see them going for him as a statement signing.

FerociousCorgis

so what do people expect to be different next season if we dont make massive changes? More of the same crap. I lost any desire to keep rashford when i saw him pouting when he was forced to play CF for the club, as if it was some sort of massive affront to him

hobbers

Boggles the mind that, even if we spend the next 4 seasons out the CL and he has a permanent 25% wage reduction, we are committed to paying him about £52m.

RuudTom83

A good Euros (if he even goes?) might drum up some interest...but I think the only move you could somewhat foresee is PSG, even through they came out and said it was bollocks months ago.

Chelsea maybe a slim interest.

But I genuinely don't see any bids coming in for him, so it's all a bit meh.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
If I'm a team mate of his and seeing him a) start before me every game, b) never get subbed off regardless of how little effort he's putting in, c) getting paid 3-4 times as much as me for no noticeable reason...

I would be sick and pissed off.
how so? Isnt there a strong correlation between wages and performance
There’s no excuse for not putting the effort in, irrespective of what you’re being paid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can’t wait for another interview about how he has a new lease of life under a new manager.

UTD_Since_1978

Ideally I'd offload him this summer but as reported above I doubt many clubs will want to sign him & certainly not for the price UTD will want for him.

Rashford seems one of those "purple patch" players, we need first team regulars that are far more consistent than he is if we want to try to compete for the 2 big trophies.