Marcus Rashford (Out)

. Even at Liverpool they're struggling with Diaz's poor output - who is a superior player to Rashford.
What a crock of shite :lol:

If we put Rashford up for sale, he’ll be fetching a massive fee in excess of 75-80m. Diaz wouldn’t get close.

“Superior” my arse, in what fecking World is Diaz superior man? The feck have I just read? :houllier:

Swiss_Red89

Rashford is nowhere near good enough for Man Utd. What planet are you on?
What planet are you on? Rashford is an England International since his breakthrough and has scored so many goals for us already. He has proven enough that he can be class. He definitely is good enough for ManUnited.
It's his mindset that let him down from time to time but definitely not his talent.

hobbers

What planet are you on? Rashford is an England International since his breakthrough and has scored so many goals for us already. He has proven enough that he can be class. He definitely is good enough for ManUnited.
It's his mindset that let him down from time to time but definitely not his talent.
Good enough for a Man United who finish 4th-6th in the league and might win a nothing cup every 3-4 seasons. Sure.

Swiss_Red89

Good enough for a Man United who finish 4th-6th in the league and might win a nothing cup every 3-4 seasons. Sure.
That's not an argument. Put him in the 2005-2013 squads and he will contribute and win several titles. He is good enough for ManUnited. The mistake was to try to make him the starboy of the club. For that role i agree, he's not good enough.

That is what we need to change. Give him competition so that he has to fight for his place. If he doesn't perform in his supposed prime years, then yes, its probably time to part ways. But not now imo.

hobbers

That's not an argument. Put him in the 04-13 squads and he will contribute and win several titles. He is good enough for ManUnited. The mistake was to try to make him the starboy of the club. For that role i agree, he's not good enough.

That is what we need to change. Give him competition so that he has to fight for his place.
Yeah he can be the Nani but that only works when you also have the Ronaldo, Giggs and Park.

OleGunnar20

That's not an argument. Put him in the 2005-2013 squads and he will contribute and win several titles. He is good enough for ManUnited. The mistake was to try to make him the starboy of the club. For that role i agree, he's not good enough.

That is what we need to change. Give him competition so that he has to fight for his place. If he doesn't perform in his supposed prime years, then yes, its probably time to part ways. But not now imo.
While I get what you're saying, in my opinion this would be repeating past mistakes. If we decide he's not good enough to lead this club (which he needs to really on his wages) then we should sell now while his value is still at a reasonable level.

Too often we've put players on daft wages and waited until their value is absolutely trashed before deciding to move on, by which point of course its too late. See Martial for a prime example.

I also get why people wouldn't want to see him sold. We all know how good he can be on his day, I simply don't think he'll ever be consistent enough, and his game is only really suited to counter attacking football - which I'd like to see us move away from.

Having said all this I highly doubt he'll be sold, though I'd be all for it personally.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s been in his “prime years” for 4-5 years now, and his output is inconsistent at best without taking into account his obvious off the ball deficiencies.

This isn’t some 22 year old that’s still refining things but needs time. He’s been in the team for close to a decade now. Giving him another few years while crossing your fingers he gets better is a mistake if you can sell him at a huge value to PSG this summer

Demaw

His value diminishes and this is when you realise he is never going to get any better so sell now. Like City do. We will be having this conversation when he is 30.

Bowlcut11

Yeah he can be the Nani but that only works when you also have the Ronaldo, Giggs and Park.
One of those names is not like the others...

(That's no disrespect to Parky either!)

But in all seriousness, Rashford is indeed a level below what is needed to truly propel the club into a new era of success. He can play a big part in it but there need to be others stepping up now

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Nah. World class on his day, and likely a good guy, but you just can’t have a player as inconsistent (downright dreadful at times), and completely non-committed (like a training come in dozens and dozens of gsmes) on the wages and senior status at the club. Of course he’ll do something freaking amazing every few months or so, but the other negatives over the long term will do noth8ng but hold the club back and cement our status as the new arsenal with our yearly 4th place trophy (if we can even maintain that). It is nowhere near the long term standard required.

Jordi Cruyff 99

No offence, bud, but I have my suspicions that you may have been too young to remember Man Utd’s last title win. He’s nowhere near good enough and you are the sort of fan that makes a mockery of this fan base. How you can be so satisfied by mediocrity is bamboozling.

Gavinb33

No offence, bud, but I have my suspicions that you may have been too young to remember Man Utd’s last title win. He’s nowhere near good enough and you are the sort of fan that makes a mockery of this fan base. How you can be so satisfied by mediocrity is bamboozling.
I mean he would be good enough for a start in that team, our last title winning side had Valencia and Nani on the wings supported by Ashley Young and Welbeck sometimes I mean Rashford would get in that side without question especially on the left hand side

Chairman Steve

My biggest gripes with him are inconsistency and work rate.

A player who goes from 5 goals one season, to 30 goals after that and currently 8 goals this season. That’s some pretty wild fluctuations for a forward player at an elite club.

He’s our Theo Walcott in some ways. A pace merchant who started early and never really kicked on from what was anticipated. Split the gooner fanbase with people sticking by him no matter what and people thinking he had plateaued ability wise and slowly stagnated (the latter in hindsight were correct).

Go read this Walcott transfer thread from 2016 at Arsenal Mania. Some of the posts read eerily familar to this situation and Walcott was about the same age then as Rashford is now
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/theo-walcott-out.28986/

Swiss_Red89

Your suspicion is wrong. I'm 35 years old and became a United fan as a child through my dad who himself is one since he visited Manchester 40 years ago.

I'm also far from satisfied with the last decade and enjoyed 06-13 more obviously.
It's just my opinon that Rashford is far from medicore or not good enough for this club and could be useful for any title challenging squad. But as the "Nani", not the "Ronaldo", as it was stated earlier in this thead. Rashford is far from perfect. But he's also not the reason of our lack of success in the last decade (he even contributed a lot to the few trophies we have won in this time). Bad Management and lack of vision/strategy of the people above him are the main reasons.

Personally, his raise as a local lad and all his good moments have been one of the most enjoyable things I felt related to United in the last decade. That's why I would be sad to see him leave especially now as he finally would get the chance to play under a new (and seemingly more competent) ownership.

Last edited:

daba

My biggest gripes with him are inconsistency and work rate.

A player who goes from 5 goals one season, to 30 goals after that and currently 8 goals this season. That’s some pretty wild fluctuations for a forward player at an elite club.

He’s our Theo Walcott in some ways. A pace merchant who started early and never really kicked on from what was anticipated. Split the gooner fanbase with people sticking by him no matter what and people thinking he had plateaued ability wise and slowly stagnated (the latter in hindsight were correct).

Go read this Walcott transfer thread from 2016 at Arsenal Mania. Some of the posts read eerily familar to this situation and Walcott was about the same age then as Rashford is now
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/theo-walcott-out.28986/
If we had a better overall squad right now and we weren’t in need of a serious serious rebuild I’d be looking to cash in on Rashford. His biggest asset is his speed, which could start to go in the next 2-3 years or with one big injury, so if we get a big offer from PSG we should consider it. He’s not a Giggs who has the versatility to change his position I don’t think (doesn’t have the hold up play to be CF in this generation) and he also got thrusted into top level football very earlier so I don’t expect him to have the longevity to be a top top winger at 31/32 y/o like Salah for example.

With Greenwood, Sancho, Pellistri, all set to leave and Antony not good enough, that leaves us with only Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. Losing Rashford would require us to sign 2 wingers (including one ready made starter) as well as a versatile forward to support Hojlund. That being said if a £85-100m offer came in we could keep hold of one of the above mentioned for a season to help with the transition.

Jordi Cruyff 99

I mean he would be good enough for a start in that team, our last title winning side had Valencia and Nani on the wings supported by Ashley Young and Welbeck sometimes I mean Rashford would get in that side without question especially on the left hand side
That’s true, but these players were known to be temporary solutions (turned out not to be) aside from Nani who was already past it and was only good enough for a couple of seasons. Rashford has had two good but not great seasons and has well overstayed his welcome. The point is the club should be striving for excellence in recruitment if it wants to achieve greatness. Rashford is not that piece of the puzzle.

Posh Red

That’s true, but these players were known to be temporary solutions (turned out not to be) aside from Nani who was already past it and was only good enough for a couple of seasons. Rashford has had two good but not great seasons and has well overstayed his welcome. The point is the club should be striving for excellence in recruitment if it wants to achieve greatness. Rashford is not that piece of the puzzle.
I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, to be honest.

I’m not sure you remember the days of Webb, McClair, titles with Poborski or Blomqvist on the wings, or Tom Clev in midfield alongside Anderson.
Rashford would get plenty of minutes in most of our best sides, he’d likely be much better there too.

Stop making daft arguments man, not every player who won titles with us (sometimes multiple) was a superstar, so you’re making absolutely no sense.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I’m not sure you remember the days of Webb, McClair, titles with Poborski or Blomqvist on the wings, or Tom Clev in midfield alongside Anderson.
Rashford would get plenty of minutes in most of our best sides, he’d likely be much better there too.

Stop making daft arguments man, not every player who won titles with us (sometimes multiple) was a superstar, so you’re making absolutely no sense.
Rashford is better than all of them in fairness. I'm hoping he goes on a run and gives us all reason to back him again

Jordi Cruyff 99

Rashford wouldn’t get any minutes in those sides because Ferguson would never tolerate a lazy diva like Rashford. You omit all context relating to his role and position within the squad’s hierarchy. Rashford’s ginormous ego would never allow him to be reduced to a bit part role on reduced wages which is still an overestimation given that he should be nowhere near this club. It doesn’t matter how many goals he has scored because his other traits reduce his capital. He is a poisonous presence yet strolls round so insouciantly because he knows he is untouchable. The club will never move forward without a culture reset. First step is to throw this pleb out.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nani's biggest failure was not bothering to chase the ball, something rashford does now. Both had/have decent talent but had questionable attitude especially in terms of putting a shift in. That's fair enough as not everyone can be a Park, a Keane or a Gattuso. However that needs to be taken in account in terms of salary something we did with Nani but not with Rashford
Nani may not have been quite Rooney/Tevez levels of workrate, but he was a far harder worker than Rashford. Indeed, his willingness to do his defensive duties for such a flair player was something that stood out quite well compared to a lot of his contemporaries.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Rashford wouldn’t get any minutes in those sides because Ferguson would never tolerate a lazy diva like Rashford. You omit all context relating to his role and position within the squad’s hierarchy. Rashford’s ginormous ego would never allow him to be reduced to a bit part role on reduced wages which is still an overestimation given that he should be nowhere near this club. It doesn’t matter how many goals he has scored because his other traits reduce his capital. He is a poisonous presence yet strolls round so insouciantly because he knows he is untouchable. The club will never move forward without a culture reset. First step is to throw this pleb out.
As already indicated, you're talking ballcocks, SAF tolerated a lot when he wanted to, he was also intolerant when he chose to be

Posh Red

As already indicated, you're talking ballcocks, SAF tolerated a lot when he wanted to, he was also intolerant when he chose to be
I would also suggest that the posters assertion completely dismisses Ferguson’s ability to inspire and motivate; one of his best (if not his greatest) qualities.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I would also suggest that the posters assertion completely dismisses Ferguson’s ability to inspire and motivate; one of (if not his greatest) qualities.
Was gonna reply to that post but trying to refrain from WUM shite like that these days.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Was gonna reply to that post but trying to refrain from WUM shite like that these days.
Yeah I thought about that as well, but as a Newbie, if he keeps it up in this thread he can't contaminate another one :D

Rojofiam

If we put Rashford up for sale, he’ll be fetching a massive fee in excess of 75-80m. Diaz wouldn’t get close.

“Superior” my arse, in what fecking World is Diaz superior man? The feck have I just read? :houllier:
Don't even try, man. The general consensus about Rashford's ability is one of the dumbest agendas I've ever seen on the caf. Just in the last few months the names I've seen claimed to be "superior to" or "much better than" Rashford, without a hint of irony, is truly embarrassing.

The Urban Goose

Maybe if you take your Utd blinkers off...

https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-players/Marcus-Rashford-vs-Luis-Diaz

Rashford might be by far the more talented, but a lot of that is going to waste, which is the complaint about Rashford.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe if you take your Utd blinkers off...

https://one-versus-one.com/en/compare-players/Marcus-Rashford-vs-Luis-Diaz

Rashford might be by far the more talented, but a lot of that is going to waste, which is the complaint about Rashford.
:lol:

Yeah let’s compare a season with Liverpool at the top of the league, with United struggling.
Can you do the same for last season with United in better form and Liverpool struggling ? Do we reckon it looks close then? :lol:

I’ve seen some daft posts in my time, but this is up there as one of the best.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Yeah let’s compare a season with Liverpool at the top of the league, with United struggling.
Can you do the same for last season with United in better form and Liverpool struggling ? Do we reckon it looks close then? :lol:

Rashford is talented but he is also inconsistent. He is also very one dimensional and provides nothing but goals. Goals are key in games but when rashy is not scoring he is as useful on the pitch as Woodward was useful as CEO

If his salary was fair then he could slot in a squad member/first team role. However he is on silly money. A senior player on 300k a week must play week in week out

Rashford is talented but he is also inconsistent. He is also very one dimensional and provides nothing but goals. Goals are key in games but when rashy is not scoring he is as useful on the pitch as Woodward was useful as CEO

If his salary was fair then he could slot in a squad member/first team role. However he is on silly money. A senior player on 300k a week must play week in week out
Not sure who you are arguing with here or what the funk this has to do with my post laughing at the suggestion Diaz is a better player?

We all know your thoughts on Rashford already, you’ve just repeated them here.

Rojofiam

First of all, that's not true.

Secondly, using your logic, what does Díaz offer when he doesn't score?

devilish

Not sure who you are arguing with here or what the funk this has to do with my post laughing at the suggestion Diaz is a better player?

We all know your thoughts on Rashford already, you’ve just repeated them here.
I can't care less about Diaz. He is not our player and we won't get him. This thread is about rashy not diaz

The Urban Goose

The point being, sometimes a "worse" player is better for the team. But if you haven't realised this yet let's pick this up again in a few years when you're a bit more mature.

The point being, sometimes a "worse" player is better for the team. But if you haven't realised this yet let's pick this up again in a few years when you're a bit more mature.
That wasn’t the point though, I responded to a post claiming:

who is a superior player to Rashford.
So erm, let’s pick this up again when you’ve learnt to read before posting? Maybe take a minute to see what you are actually responding to?

Rojofiam

What does he provide apart from goals? When he is off form he's unwatchable. He can't be bothered tracking back
Yeah, I knew that would be the thing you bring up. Do you know whether that's a tactical instruction or Rashford just being lazy? ETH has shown he has no problem benching anyone, including Marcus, even for mundane things like being 1 minute late to a team meeting. If Rashford was disobeying ETH's instructions, I don't think he would on the pitch very often. Not every player is tasked to track back at all times. Right now, we are a transition-heavy side, who cedes control to their opponents, and Rashford is probably left up higher on the pitch when we don't have the ball, because it's optimal for him to be as high as possible when we do win it back.

By the way, Rashford is one of the most dangerous players in the league, an uncontainable threat in transitions, can carry the ball through the oppositions half effortlessly, has incredible place, really good physicality, is one of our most creative players, and very few players in the Premier League are an outlet like he is with the ball. Just because he doesn't score or assist every game, that doesn't mean he's not offering anything.

Last edited:

devilish

Not sure how anyone could have seen our previous match (the one that should be right at the front of our collective memories) and ask this question with a straight face to be honest?
The Liverpool's game is an outlier. For example We scored loads of goals despite the fact we struggle to score goals. You have to judge players on a long period of time. Rashford provide little else then goals and when he doesn't score then he is pretty useless