Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Fanboy rubbish. People dont like him because he looks like he detests every minute he plays football for the club. And struggles to break into a slow jog most of the time.

That plus being absurdly stupid and selfish in decision making when he does get the ball.
Maybe if he wasn’t subject to a media narrative, and subject to weirdos chasing clicks and cash writing absolute rubbish about him he might look happier?
Maybe if he got less abuse and hate from his own teams so called ‘fans’ then he might be more motivated to perform? Just a thought.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Maybe if he wasn’t subject to a media narrative, and subject to weirdos chasing clicks and cash writing absolute rubbish about him he might look happier?
Maybe if he got less abuse and hate from his own teams so called ‘fans’ then he might be more motivated to perform? Just a thought.
Always the victim. The "abuse" and "hate" really only started because the chap decided running wasn't really his thing.

Tarrou

I’d sell. I think we will too as he doesn’t seem happy here. If we replace the manager though I expect he’ll wanna stay

Teja

We need to pull a Barca and get a grip on our contract situation. It starts with Rashford.

I'd happily have him here on decent wages to rotate with Garnacho on the left but that's not what he expects or what his contract suggests.

hobbers

Nope. Come on, get in the real world.

What media narrative anyway? That one where we pretend he single handedly took down a political party? Got an MBE for the worlds most well publicised charity work? Where he became the poster boy of the biggest club in the country? Where he had every pundit and journalist waxing lyrical about him all last season because he finally, after two dismal seasons, put some goals on the board and was starting to justify that status?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Coutinho kinda sale but we need to sign quality. I don't trust the board to get it right.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Not productive or useful enough anymore, well and use it to reinforce. Anytime he plays he frustrates me with his lack of tracking back. Against Villa last week when Shaw went off, Lindelof had a torrid time defending with no support from Rashford.
Get good money now for him and get someone on lower wages that puts more effort in.

Cloud7

I would be quite happy to sell. I also think that PSG are probably our only realistic prospect in terms of ever selling him, with regards to being a club that can afford his wages etc.

talking robot

he may be a genuinely happier person at psg as he’d score a lot of goals in a weaker league and wouldnt be expected to do as much defensive work. he’d also be gauranteed to play in the champions league. i could see it working for all parties.

Dannn411

Said on another thread, for £100m, I'd let him go. I'd even let him go for £80m. This is not even close to the same thing as losing a Ronaldo or Ruud in the past. A truly great player kicks on from a 30-goal season, not regress back to square one. I've seen all I need to see. He's not a great.

Gavinb33

As usual peoples agendas against him are showing in this thread, a consistent theme on this forum is we don't sell our players for the correct value and here we have people saying they would wilfully sell him for £40/60 million, would I sell him? possibly everyone has a price but it wouldn't be for the money quotes in some of these posts thats for sure

Last edited:

foolsgold

I thought PSG had given up on the Galacticos idea and were trying to build a Francophone core to the team and build out from their youth system?

Marcus Rashford is literally the last thing that fits with this new direction for the club.

red_de_pologne

I thought PSG had given up on the Galacticos idea and were trying to build a Francophone core to the team and build out from their youth system?

Marcus Rashford is literally the last thing that fits with this new direction for the club.
yes, it's just a lazy story, never going ot happen.

didz

As United fans, we should all know full well that it takes more than just saying "cultural reboot" a couple of times for it to actually happen. If PSG lose Mbappe, it's completely within the realms of possibility they have a Barca post-Neymar-style scramble.

I do think they'd have a much easier time getting one of the Series A pair than Rashford though. Even the report says they'd need significant encouragement from his camp to consider a move.

The Urban Goose

I’d sell. Problem is I wouldn’t trust ETH to replace him.
Definitely sell, and with the recent off field recruits you don't have to trust ETH as ETH won't be taking the replacement decision.

Rashford and PSG are a match made in heaven, they can both flatter to deceive in a farmers league and turn it on occasionally in the Champions League before being dumped out by a decent team in the quarter finals.

Paul778

As usual peoples agendas against him are showing in this thread, a consistent theme on this forum is we don't sell our players for the correct value and here we have people saying they would wilfully sell him for £40/60 million, would I sell him? possibly everyone has a price but it wouldn't be for the money quotes in some of these posts thats for sure
It's not an agenda. It's a standard strategy. Ralf Ragnick implemented it during his time at clubs before us and all teams try to do it.

Buy players on their 2nd or 3rd professional contract when they are established and hungry for success.

Sell them on their 4th professional contract when typically you are selling them at maximum value when their form and drive have typically plateaued. This allows you to continue the cycle always having ready made replacements in the squad or the academy.

Widow

How many games have you actually watched, though? This happens quite often, we tend to overlook an opposition team's players' weaknesses especially because we don't actually watch enough games to see them. It's like how lots of people think Kimmich is a great 6 but if you ask most Bayern fans they say he needs a 6 next to him. If you ask most other fans who our best player is they would say Rashford. Ask the average United fan nowadays, I reckon most would say Martinez or Bruno.
I'll admit that I'm limited to games on Tnt and I'll confess that's doesn't make me any kind of expert on him. I've also said that he wouldn't be the one I choose to replace Rashford.

Gavinb33

It's not an agenda. It's a standard strategy. Ralf Ragnick implemented it during his time at clubs before us and all teams try to do it.

Buy players on their 2nd or 3rd professional contract when they are established and hungry for success.

Sell them on their 4th professional contract when typically you are selling them more maximum value allow you to continue the cycle, always having ready made replacements in the squad or the academy.
I was talking about people saying we should sell for £40/60 million which is bollocks, not that we shouldn't sell maybe we should but not for them prices

Widow

I was talking about people saying we should sell for £40/60 million which is bollocks, not that we shouldn't sell maybe we should but not for them prices
It's nonsense to think he's worth 80/100 million. No club is going to pay that for a bang average player and if we're honest, that's what he is.

Telsim

I'd drive him to the airport myself, but this club doesn't have the competitive and ruthless streak necessary to cast off weight like this, even if PSG came with an appropriate offer, which would be in £75 million range. Marketing comes first, and he is the precious poster boy of the club. His image is mired in sentimentality and PR. And he is also the big man at the club making the big bucks.

This move would be great for us, and even for him perhaps, but it just won't happen. More likely he will celebrate his 30th here, having achieved much financially and very little competitively.

Last edited:

Paul778

Ah yes. That's a different question. I know you are buying potential but you are also taking on risk so if the going rate for Hojlund with less than 30 goals in lower leagues is 70m+ then paying less for an established international is madness.

Can't wait for the INEOS guys to be in and tell clubs where to go with their lowball offers. Case in point Sancho and Dortmund briefing they can't afford to buy him proper because they fleeced us when they sold him to us.

Widow

Hojlund cost £70+ ffs, Leao who has scored 7 goals in a weaker league this year is quoted today at £80 million and yet we'd somehow not get 80 for Rashford.....
Maybe that's how it works on Football Manager but there's more context to a transfer that just stating the fee ffs

didz

It's nonsense to think he's worth 80/100 million. No club is going to pay that for a bang average player and if we're honest, that's what he is.
He's averaged a goal or assist every other game over the last 8 years. Considering he was a teenager for two of those years, that's a bloody good return. He's also 26, of a high profile, homegrown, on a long contract, and is capable of long stretches of form during which he is a matchwinner at the highest level.

But yeah, you don't like him, so we better sack him off on the cheap.

Maybe that's how it works on Football Manager but there's more context to a transfer that just stating the fee ffs
Funny you mention context when you've chosen to ignore it yourself.

Widow

He's averaged a goal or assist every other game over the last 8 years. Considering he was a teenager for two of those years, that's a bloody good return. He's also 26, of a high profile, homegrown, on a long contract, and is capable of long stretches of form during which he is a matchwinner at the highest level.

But yeah, you don't like him, so we better sack him off on the cheap.

Funny you mention context when you've chosen to ignore it yourself.
I never said that I don't like him, he's just not an elite player but as a fan boy you think whatever you like. It's also easy to make it look good when combining his total numbers. His good years mask his many poor years that way.

In the league, he's scored double figures 4 times from 9 seasons with 2 of those being 10 & 11 and the others being 17, so twice in the league he's managed just under 1 in 2. The league is the messure of a player as that's the trophy we really want to get our hands on, right?

Gavinb33

I never said that I don't like him, he's just not an elite player but as a fan boy you think whatever you like. It's also easy to make it look good when combining his total numbers. His good years mask his many poor years that way.

In the league, he's scored double figures 4 times from 9 seasons with 2 of those being 10 & 11 and the others being 17, so twice in the league he's managed just under 1 in 2. The league is the messure of a player as that's the trophy we really want to get our hands on, right?
As soon as you use the words 'fan boy' in defending your opinion your true colours shine through, another for the ignore list

didz

Youve got your own total numbers argument backwards. His two poor seasons mask his high level of return in the others. If I wanted to make him look good, I'd have just taken out those seasons and the two where he was a teenager.

But given that, in your world, everyone who doesn't think Rashford is worth significantly less than Mudryk is a fanboy, there really isn't much point in arguing with you.

OleGunnar20

Marcus is just the latest scapegoat in a long line, seemingly because he’s human, has human traits and emotions, and is fallible like a human. He seems to be held responsible for not single-handedly winning us every treble since his debut, and there is more than a touch of jealousy of his wages and lifestyle too. It’s sad really.
You genuinely don't see any valid reasons so many dislike him?

Widow

Youve got your own total numbers argument backwards. His two poor seasons mask his high level of return in the others. If I wanted to make him look good, I'd have just taken out those seasons and the two where he was a teenager.

But given that, in your world, everyone who doesn't think Rashford is worth significantly less than Mudryk is a fanboy, there really isn't much point in arguing with you.
I'm not arguing, just sharing an opinion. I'm struggling to see these many seasons of high class you speak of. 10 & 11 league goals certainly doesn't back that up and he's manged just two years above this so I'm not sure what you're on about tbh.

I just can't ever see him being consistently good enough to make United great again, not only in the final third but also tracking back. It's clear that you do though and that's fine, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.