Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
What’s it with some of these takes? 6-7 years ago it wasn’t guaranteed that he’d end up on a massive contract. He’s explaining that he had offers that would have changed the life of his family at that time. He chose to wait it out because he loved the club. Players who take that route mostly don’t end up the way he did with a ridiculously fat contract so it was a risky move ex ante. He’s not saying the club owes/owed him anything. He’s saying media/fans owe him the benefit of the doubt.

But yeah this entire piece was ill-advised…just do it on the pitch.
He is just not very smart and neither is his PR team.

daba

This whole thing reminded me of how Utd’s media team track player sentiment acriss social media channels and if they see a players sentiment drop they work with the player to improve things. It all feels a bit staged and purely in response to the whole Barkley incident which must have plummeted his fan sentiment online.

As many have said, actions speak louder than words. Even if he’s fallen out with or lost faith in the manager he should be motivated to prove the doubters wrong on the pitch by working hard off the ball and producing more on the ball. He has the talent as we have seen many times (in patches) but seemingly not the mentality to do it consistently on a season by season basis. If he cannot see why that frustrates us fans, local lad or not, then he’s deluded.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What’s it with some of these takes? 6-7 years ago it wasn’t guaranteed that he’d end up on a massive contract. He’s explaining that he had offers that would have changed the life of his family at that time. He chose to wait it out because he loved the club. Players who take that route mostly don’t end up the way he did with a ridiculously fat contract so it was a risky move ex ante. He’s not saying the club owes/owed him anything. He’s saying media/fans owe him the benefit of the doubt.

But yeah this entire piece was ill-advised…just do it on the pitch.
That’s what I said. However these things are true for a lot of footballers in our squad who could have had a more ‘stable’ career but chose to sacrifice that and their social lives for a career in sport. What love he had the club for a boy or still may do doesn’t make his off the ball output any less appalling. Watching Hojlund bust his gut as if his life depended on it while Mr nobody can question my commitment ambles around refusing to contest 50/50 balls, is much more relevant than what brave decisions he look a decade ago. This is a professional football club aspiring to the best and has to make every decision with that goal in mind.

Thing is, we have a lot of players who simply aren’t good enough. And they know this so the golden goose that is rich and stupid enough to pay footballers twice their worth. It’s up to SJR and team to show that they have the balls to genuinely set high standards within the club now.

Gar&Nachos

I'm glad I'm not your employer
If my manager is shit then I will be more likely turn to being shit myself within his company! There's roles for a reason to run a company or a club.

Judging the top played employee when the whole team is shit aswell as primarily the manager themselves (who employed all these shit employees) seems like an 'obvious' thing to do by many people; especially the people from downstairs roles looking up at them ;)

Rashford shouldn't be our top payed player or even top played - but I see too many holes in Ten Hag's managerial ability to single out Rashford's performances and work rate as primarily his own problem. Ten Hag doesn't even have the balls to drop him and try get Rashford out of his feet and his mind out of his arse.

I'm just blaming the root of the problem rather than the cause of the problem.

Get a top level manager in or even a top level DOF which we seemed to, then decide if Rashford's good enough in a better system.

All that Ten Hag does is improve players individual ability as we saw both at Ajax and United first season where the team was built for him by - the roles of the people above; rather than build it for himself. I can mention so many players Ten Hag has improved individually in his managerial career - but has Ten Hag ever built an amazing tactical system that gets mostly both the players and the fans in ultimate confidence because they have an ability to see or understand a system?

No, not really.

And I can personally see players with lower work rate because they have like 1/10th of the work rate of park ji sung or even Antony being affected by this.

Funnily, enough - I think Ten Hag has overvalued 'work rate mentality' as a single way to judge players especially with his purchases - Antony, Onana, Malacia, Mount, Amrabat, Weghorst, Casemiro and Lisandro Martinez - are all extremely hard workers with strong mentality - but arguably just 1 or at maximum 2 players have had other top abilities within themselves to look like top purchases at this club. Ten Hag has worked better with the players already at the club than the players he himself has bought in.

Last edited:

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
He does too much talking outside the pitch with his PR mumbo jumbo. His PR team should get a huge cut of his wage based on how they work. He doesnt walk the talk on the pitch. This is just another usual Rashford thing where every time his stock drops he releases a puff piece

Are we supposed to be grateful his family didn't remove him from the academy of one of the biggest and richest football clubs in the world?
Dont you know we are doing him a favor by paying him a measly amount just to play for us ? We dont deserve his godly grace. He is so much full of himself. Question his commitment ? He strolls around the field like prime Ronaldinho while playing like shit week in week out. Sir Rashford doesnt do that dirty defensive work crap that's reserved for peasants

He is just not very smart and neither is his PR team.
This is always his MO. Under fire for shit performance, issue a puff piece. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
From the outside I can absolutely see the frustration Utd fans have with Rashford. Hugely talented and still a concern when you see him in the team against you. However, more times than not, he just doesn't put the effort in. Fans love players that give 100% every game, look at Nunez at Liverpool, finishing can be awful but you'd never question his effort. Words are easy and some players seem to resort to talk more than action far too often. Best for Utd and Rashford to part ways.

Wilt

Hard to imagine anyone else wanting to pay him £350k per week

UpWithRivers

Dead bedroom. Yeah you still love each other but the spark is gone and you don't know if it will ever return and if it does you don't know how long it will last.
Rasford we love you but we can't live like this anymore. Words are cheap. You need to show us you still care.
Xxx the fans

JeffFromHK

No matter now many PRs he makes, he still can't explain why he shy away from 50/50 duels, pressing, tracking back, etc, not even "I was injured" excuses

Nogho

The lad remains something of a enigma. In the 2021/2022 Premier League season, he notched four goals and provided two assists in 25 games, boasting an xG of 2.9. However, in the subsequent season, as we all know, he significantly upped his game, scoring seventeen goals and contributing five assists in 35 games, with an xG of 15.4. Oddly enough, this season mirrors his 21/22 stats, currently standing at five goals and two assists with an xG of 6.0. It appears the ten Hag effect has worn off.

Under Ole's management, he demonstrated more consistent numbers, with 10 goals and 6 assists, 17 goals and 7 assists, and 11 goals and 9 assists in those Premier League seasons.

There seems to be a correlation between his performance and the level of managerial support, also supported by stats showing declining in defensive contributions like tackles, pressing, and cutting back this season.

In my opinion, his time at Manchester United is drawing to a close, and a move would likely be beneficial for all parties involved.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The one reason I'm okay with his low work rate is because I think he knows he plays for a rubbish manager & arguably some rubbish team mates chosen by a rubbish manager. I wonder what a player with average to low work rate would feel like post Onana's performances in the CL or Antony's in the PL.

Arguably nearly 60% of redcafe wants Ten Hag sacked from his Job - so I personally doubt that these 60% of people would have a high level of work rate working in a Ten Hag system either never mind the club shirt they play for. I just view Rashford in that 60% of society that knows Ten Hag isn't good enough so doesn't or wouldn't work hard for him.

I personally wouldn't work hard for Ten Hag as I would for a top level manager. Whether Rashford gets chosen for a top level manager is a different story. Rashford is an overpayed player - but it wouldn't surprise me if a new & better manager managed to get a better version out of him again next season. It may be just another purple patch - but I doubt a good manager playing a good team wouldn't get a good version of Rashford.
If I was your teammate knowing that you’re not putting the effort in, let’s just say it would cause arguments. There’s no excuse for professional footballers downing tools and not putting effort in

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Jesus you angry bastards, he clearly loves the club, what the feck is wrong with you?

You don’t have to like his playing style, or rate him, but questioning now everything he says nice about his love of his boyhood as PR? Get a fecking grip of yourselves.
Oooh someone else may have anger management issues

iKeano

The arrogane of this fraud. One good season and he's throwing a bigger and more detrimental strop than Ronaldo.
Rashford should be gone ASAP but anyone thinking PSV will buy this walking mood are deluded.
We have every right to question his commitment to the club. He's given our fans the finger outside OT, he trots about like its an inconvenience to him. He's not only wasting years of the clubs time, but our time & some youth players progression time. He's a disgrace to the badge & a stinking attitude to the young players.
This 'local lad' nonsense stuck us woth Wellbeck and Lingard before and now it's Rashfords trump card.
He's not happy on the left, he's not happy on the right, not happy upfront. Happy enough on the booze in Belfast, he should have asked Larne for a contract, but even they would have effort requirements.
If Brailsford and Co don't sniff out this waster quick smart then they're no better than the Glazers.

spe88

Get rid. Part of me hopes he misses out on the EUROs to give him a wake up call but sadly that will impact his value if we were to sell.

Born2Lose

Grow up.
Beyond it all, I can't help thinking the people Rashford insults most in not even putting in basic effort on the pitch is his family, who've probably sacrificed loads for him to get where he is.

Born2Lose

Hard to imagine anyone else wanting to pay him £350k per week
I'd "love a club" too if they paid me top level wages for mediocre performances.

Rashford is the personification of everything that's been wrong with United for the past decade, INEOS have a big job on their hands.

MayfieldsFinest

In fairness to Rashford, his top level is really, really good. The problem is that his lowest level is incredibly poor. He will never consistently be at a high enough level to warrant keeping him.

davidmichael

It’s almost like he forgets we live in a world where people have access to every single minute of his performances and with social media everywhere it’s easy to take clips of his piss poor performances and zero effort, he’s becoming the next Jesse Lingard.

The way Rashford skulks around the pitch and constantly throws his hands up whilst expecting his team mates to do all the hard work is reminiscent of Ronaldo but Ronaldo was also banging in 50 goals a season and had to an extent earned the right to have teams built around him.

Coming out with his family turned down life changing money also doesn’t wash as he’s on fecking £350K a week at United and was on £200K+ before that so he was hardly on the breadline. We have had forwards before such as Birtles, early Cole, Forlan and even Hojlund was being called as such that haven’t scored the goals expected yet what they did do is give 100% every game and that is the least that’s expected.

I honestly believe that if I or anyone else on here had the talent Rashford has when bothered and on even half the money he’s on that we’d all run our bollocks off every game and even if we didn’t bang goals in every game you know the fans would at least appreciate the effort.

Rashford simply jogs around the pitch, rarely runs at the opposition defence, zero anticipation to get in the box, low footballing intelligence, horrible decision making , horrific body language, overstated sense of self importance, horrible on squad leader and puts in such a low effort on the pitch every game but the good thing is Berrada has made it clear players who show no improvement over a year or two will be moved regardless of who they are and Ineos won’t accept less than maximum effort on the pitch at the very least so it’s either Rashford bucks his ideas up or he’ll be moved on and won’t have the platform he has now to be a celebrity.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The one reason I'm okay with his low work rate is because I think he knows he plays for a rubbish manager & arguably some rubbish team mates chosen by a rubbish manager.
:lol: :lol: That manager has and will achieve much more in football than Rashford ever will. Same goes for his team mates like Varane and Casemiro.

RedRocket08

If my manager is shit then I will be more likely turn to being shit myself within his company! There's roles for a reason to run a company or a club.

Judging the top played employee when the whole team is shit aswell as primarily the manager themselves (who employed all these shit employees) seems like an 'obvious' thing to do by many people; especially the people from downstairs roles looking up at them ;)

Rashford shouldn't be our top payed player or even top played - but I see too many holes in Ten Hag's managerial ability to single out Rashford's performances and work rate as primarily his own problem. Ten Hag doesn't even have the balls to drop him and try get Rashford out of his feet and his mind out of his arse.

Get a top level manager in or even a top level DOF which we seemed to, then decide if Rashford's good enough in a better system.

All that Ten Hag does is improve players individual ability as we saw both at Ajax and United first season where the team was built for him by - the roles of the people above; rather than build it for himself. I can mention so many players Ten Hag has improved individually in his managerial career - but has Ten Hag ever built an amazing tactical system that gets mostly both the players and the fans in ultimate confidence because they have an ability to see or understand a system?

No, not really.

And I can personally see players with lower work rate because they have like 1/10th of the work rate of park ji sung or even Antony being affected by this.

Funnily, enough - I think Ten Hag has overvalued 'work rate mentality' as a single way to judge players especially with his purchases - Antony, Onana, Malacia, Mount, Amrabat, Weghorst, Casemiro and Lisandro Martinez - are all extremely hard workers with strong mentality - but arguably just 1 or at maximum 2 players have had other top abilities within themselves to look like top purchases at this club. Ten Hag has worked better with the players already at the club than the players he himself has bought in.
Yeah but the root of the problem here is not Ten Hag but that Rashford is a very one-dimensional player that needs a setup/league that allows him to play with very little defensive responsibility, in order for him to thrive. United are very much looking to move away from that way of playing (and rightly so), and Rashford is just not able to adapt to that. I'd be completely fine with the way Rashford plays (short term though, and then I'd ship him off to a team that suits him) if he was banging in goals every other game and assisting Hojlund, but neither is happening right now.

With regards to ETH's workrate signings, I'd argue Licha, Casemiro (he's more of a positional player as well than a runner imo) and Rasmus have been the better players at United this season. Unless you're PSG playing in Ligue 1, all top players in respectable teams in La Liga or PL need to display a high work rate. You don't see a low work rate with Foden, Grealish, Alvarez, Salah, Diaz, Jota, Nunez for example or even with Haaland - I can't name a single player at City or Liverpool that don't work their socks off every game.

The problems with Rashford are not down to a manager imo, this is down to the player - same with the likes of Martial and Sancho as well.

EireRed_GS

How someone hasnt advised him not to put this statement out before the derby is the height of stupidity. Especially off the back of his recent performances.

His performances and attitude have been completely shocking, and to the contrary to what he's saying. He's having a pop at people questioning his commitment, but his body language this season looks like a person thats already checked out for the season. He cant deny this. The Old trafford crowd has always been behind Marcus, but this last while Ive heard growing voices around me in the ground becoming extremely angry with his effort levels. Alot of people have just had enough of him.

For him to come out and say all this, its a bit laughable, because hes shown us absolutely nothing that suggests hes going to go out and put in a shift against city at the weekend.

If he goes out and has another awful game this weekend just dandering around the pitch. These comments will make him look a right clown.

Mainoonited

Most people on this forum love Manchester United - given a chance on the pitch, we'd put in everything we had, which for most of us likely 5 mins of running before we're gassed, but thats not the point.

He can't hide behind "i'm a fan", "i saw hardship" - there are plenty of fans who are seeing hardship even today. Marcus was lucky enough to see one of Fergies greatest sides - we had to watch him and the rubbish his colleagues put out.

If his effort levels reflected what his words say - he wouldn't be having to put pen to paper to save face.

RoyH1

Who the hell is advising him on these matters? Don't do this Marcus, it just backfires on you for Christ sakes

Melville Red

£50mil!? feck that. You’d never replace rashford for that
You what? There are far more talented players than Rashford about and with proper scouting Utd could pick up a few for a fraction of that price.
I‘d be tempted to sell for any offer just to get him out because his attitude will rub off on the likes of Mainoo, Garnacho and other youngsters who will see his wages and the fact that he just mopes around is lazy and yet gets huge rewards.
Just get rid for the sake of the club and his team mates who must really despair of this man.
Oh and as for his latest outburst on social media, anyone on here remember the old radio 1 and Simon Bates with Our Tune? My heart bleeds for him, NOT. He really needs to go asap!

iamdpef

No, not really.

I'd hate to have you as my team mate. I can't stand players walking around, making half assed jogs and sulking with their heads down. You're not playing for the manager, you're playing for the fecking badge. You're playing for the fans who put money in your pocket. I don't care if the manager isn't up to standards. There's NEVER any excuse to down tools for your club. If Rashford can't be assed to give 100% for the badge, then he needs to feck off out of this club and go to PSG or a club that'll tolerate his nonsense

cpresc

I actually get the points he's making in the interview, I'd be fine if either:

1. He smiled, looked happy and worked hard in the games (and training?)

2. Recovered his form of last year.

But right now, the problem is that he's neither likeable or performant - yet on £375k a week or whatever it is.

The vibe I get from his is that he's frustrated and feels he should be a in a better team, competing for top honours. But what he doesn't show is his commitment to making the team better himself.

That said, our (arguably) greatest ever captain in Keane did the same thing, to Ireland in that World Cup. Rooney also did it when he complained about our lack of signings and threatened to leave. I also recall Rio being a contract rebel once too...

But we all do seem to hate on Rashford quite easily instead of perhaps supporting him more

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Beyond it all, I can't help thinking the people Rashford insults most in not even putting in basic effort on the pitch is his family, who've probably sacrificed loads for him to get where he is.
Doubt they care much after seeing all the abuse he consistently gets online from all including his own fans..... Probably thinking "Do you boo" ;)

AndySmith1990

I actually get the points he's making in the interview, I'd be fine if either:

1. He smiled, looked happy and worked hard in the games (and training?)

2. Recovered his form of last year.

But right now, the problem is that he's neither likeable or performant - yet on £375k a week or whatever it is.

The vibe I get from his is that he's frustrated and feels he should be a in a better team, competing for top honours. But what he doesn't show is his commitment to making the team better himself.

That said, our (arguably) greatest ever captain in Keane did the same thing, to Ireland in that World Cup. Rooney also did it when he complained about our lack of signings and threatened to leave. I also recall Rio being a contract rebel once too...

But we all do seem to hate on Rashford quite easily instead of perhaps supporting him more
How is it fair to support someone who lives such a privileged life despite putting in such little effort and showing disinterest? There are millions of people across the world who work their arse off for minimum pay and don't have the luxury of the level of support Rashford does.

These pampered footballers can feck off. They are the ones in control of how much criticism they receive. Give 100% and show some respect and fight for the club and fans, and they'll be cheered. If they can't be arsed doing that then they deserve nothing but criticism. Supporting this behaviour certainly isn't going to change the shit self entitled culture that's infested this club since Fergie retired

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Rashford would be an elite player if the Internet never existed. Imagine being exposed to constant negativity and criticism when you’re trying to get back into form. It’s not surprising his play lacks any desire or purposeful energy….if your mind and mental health is on the precipice of breaking.

hobbers

Rashford would be an elite player if the Internet never existed. Imagine being exposed to constant negativity and criticism when you’re trying to get back into form. It’s not surprising his play lacks any desire or purposeful energy….if your mind and mental health is on the precipice of breaking.
Rubbish.

It's the internet that catapulted him into echelons of hype, fame and wealth that his so-so football skills do not justify. He'd be a better player without the internet, sure. Because he wouldnt have all the endorsements/sponsorship money/PR team/ghost writers and there'd have been way less pressure on the club to break the bank for his wages. So he'd at least be financially motivated to play football.