Marcus Rashford signs new deal with United | 4yr + 1

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If he doesn’t score more than 20 goals in all competitions next year next year, it will pile some pressure.

There are also younger talents emerging, so he’ll no longer be the kid anymore. The thing is, you can only hide behind the young hot prospect title for so long.

He’ll 23 within 15 months. I think he has to step up this year and reward the club for their patience. No more he’s young. Time to take full ownership and become the forward this club has been lacking since RVP.
Lingard will be hiding behind that tag until he's 40

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Spoilt glory hunters are the most “embarrassing” element of the club.
Posts like Yours are toxic.
I am beginning to sense Civil War, for the first time since Jose was last here.
Regarding glory hunters - I am not sure if people still believe this. Except for 1 year, we have finished 4th-7th place. By the very definition of the word, any "glory hunter" who is any good at glory hunting will have stopped supporting MUFC and would've moved on.

All the fans who have stayed since SAF left, cannot be accused of glory hunting.

Now, regarding Rashford. Is he good enough to lead our line in 2019? Definitely not. That was evident a few months ago.
BUT, might he be good enough in 2-3 years time. I think so.

I think it is important that we either force Lukaku to lose weight and become more mobile OR we sell him and buy in a striker who is in his absolute prime, to tie us over the next 3 years, while Rashford improves enough to lead our front line.

And regarding Martial - IMO, he won't ever be good enough to lead our attack. The guy simply does not possess the mentality for this. He has no fight and this issue has been witnessed under Ole (since Martial signed his contract renewal) and under Jose (for 2.5 seasons).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No hiding place for him now. That is an elite players salary without question. We're going to need to see that from him.
Plenty of players who are on elite level wages have performed poorly for us over many years.
As long as we have a "soft" manager, he'll remain at the club (even if he performs badly).
LVG and Jose were ruthless with some players, but Ole looks to be the sort who will reward a poorly performing player, with the captaincy and a contract renewal.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Someone called me out yesterday because I was saying his new contract at £200,000 per week is an absolute farce but these people obviously don't realise that in 3/4 years when we come to renew his contract, he's going to want £300,000- £400,000 per week. That is my issue with handing out contracts to youngsters no matter how talented they are. Clubs like Juventus, Real Madrid and Barca I feel can say to these players, you want to play for us? This is how much we are going to pay you. Take it or leave it. Players like Rabiot, Ramsey, De Ligt etc are not going to be paid what we would pay them. I think that's down to consistently winning trophies as a 'Opportunity Cost'.

We really fecked up when Sir Alex left. We should have refused to overpay and tell these players that when you come to Manchester United you will win trophies and therefore we don't need to pay you a ridiculous amount of money. I know we didn't win anything for a couple of years but so what, if we kept to the approach of we are Man United, I think Rashford would have signed on for another £100,000 a week instead of £200,000 a week. I feel when a player wants a new contract from another team, their agent will mention us and they get a better deal. That reputation is what is hindering us right now. I cant stand seeing clubs get players we should be after, at a much cheaper price than we are quoted.

ryansgirl

"I will give everything to help get this club back where it belongs" - Marcus Rashford.

A wise decision by Manchester United. Just because we have over-paid for mercenaries such as Sanchez and Co doesn't mean making a decision to invest in our young future and paying to demonstrate United's commitment to talent of only 21 years old yet a domestic and European medal winner plus an England member, was a mistake.

Marcus Rashford will be playing in a more stable environment this year - Ole and Mike will make sure of that - as well as one that will be given new purpose and energy with players such as AWB who could very well become the new Rio and Daniel James with whom what we see is what we get - skills, speed and passion to make his name at United. If we get Fernandes then even better.

Just watch Marcus progress. Congratulations Marcus, do Manchester United proud.

Wilt

Jeez, he’s on the same money as Kane.

What has Rashford done to deserve £10.4 million per year?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Someone called me out yesterday because I was saying his new contract at £200,000 per week is an absolute farce but these people obviously don't realise that in 3/4 years when we come to renew his contract, he's going to want £300,000- £400,000 per week. That is my issue with handing out contracts to youngsters no matter how talented they are. Clubs like Juventus, Real Madrid and Barca I feel can say to these players, you want to play for us? This is how much we are going to pay you. Take it or leave it. Players like Rabiot, Ramsey, De Ligt etc are not going to be paid what we would pay them. I think that's down to consistently winning trophies as a 'Opportunity Cost'.

We really fecked up when Sir Alex left. We should have refused to overpay and tell these players that when you come to Manchester United you will win trophies and therefore we don't need to pay you a ridiculous amount of money. I know we didn't win anything for a couple of years but so what, if we kept to the approach of we are Man United, I think Rashford would have signed on for another £100,000 a week instead of £200,000 a week. I feel when a player wants a new contract from another team, their agent will mention us and they get a better deal. That reputation is what is hindering us right now. I cant stand seeing clubs get players we should be after, at a much cheaper price than we are quoted.
You have to check how much Rabiot, Ramsey, De Ligt are getting paid at Juventus and also how much Dembele is paid at Barca.

roonster09

Scout
If he doesn’t score more than 20 goals in all competitions next year next year, it will pile some pressure.

There are also younger talents emerging, so he’ll no longer be the kid anymore. The thing is, you can only hide behind the young hot prospect title for so long.

He’ll 23 within 15 months. I think he has to step up this year and reward the club for their patience. No more he’s young. Time to take full ownership and become the forward this club has been lacking since RVP.
:lol: I know CAF loves to round up age but this is taking way too far.

Jeffthered

"I will give everything to help get this club back where it belongs" - Marcus Rashford.

A wise decision by Manchester United. Just because we have over-paid for mercenaries such as Sanchez and Co doesn't mean making a decision to invest in our young future and paying to demonstrate United's commitment to talent of only 21 years old yet a domestic and European medal winner plus an England member, was a mistake.

Marcus Rashford will be playing in a more stable environment this year, Ole and Mike will make sure of that - as well as one that will be given new purpose and energy with players such as AWB who could very well become the new Rio and Daniel James with whom what we see is what we get - skills, speed and passion to make his name at United. If we get Fernandes then even better.

Just watch Marcus progress. Congratulations Marcus, do Manchester United proud.

All I can say is that you have a lot of faith my friend. A lot.

clarkydaz

Why are they so care free about burning wages yet scrimp and scrape on a new signing that will strengthen the team!?

roonster09

Scout
Both imo, rashford isnt even an elite striker he can barely score into double figures and yet hes on more than Salah, firmino, mane, aguero, kane even vardy,

Theres something very wrong about rewarding a player that's done nothing.

You only have to look on twitter rival fans are just laughing at this news. It's just another stupid error to put with the countless foolish decisions this board has made in recent years.
This pretty much captures it for me.
The latest leaks also purport to show the huge salaries being paid by City to their players. Leroy Sane was reportedly guaranteed £24.5million over three years when he joined as a 20-year-old, while Sergio Agüero is allegedly paid £18million annually, or £346,000 a week. Ilkay Gundogan allegedly earned €11 million (£184,000 per week) last year, according to Der Spiegel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...aid-roberto-mancini175m-offshore-account/amp/

TRUERED89

I think Madrid would remain interested in him and maybe even Juve. It's such a different game over there. There is no way I can seem him becoming what Ole thinks: our all time top goal scorer. to me he just isn't another wayne rooney
If he's not performing for us, what would make Madrid think "Hmmmm that Rashy has scored 5 goals all season, but lets sign him up". He has to consistently score 15+ a season to get any substantial interest from the "Big Boys"..!

roseguy64

This is wrong. Sterling earns more. Also, Sane and Jesus are on old deals. When they get new deals at City or another club they'll be earning more than Rashford is now. Up to last week Rashford and the latter two were probably on similar money.

roonster09

Scout
This is wrong. Sterling earns more. Also, Sane and Jesus are on old deals. When they get new deals at City or another club they'll be earning more than Rashford is now. Up to last week Rashford and the latter two were probably on similar money.
Sane was on lot more. Rashford signed 20k contract in 2016 and going by football leaks Sane was guaranteed to earn 24 million minimum in 3 years when he signed for City. Jesus signed way bigger contract when he signed.

It usual twitter numpties with no clue, sort of sums up though. No clue but first to be outraged, and people follow like sheep.

TRUERED89

Sane was on lot more. Rashford signed 20k contract in 2016 and going by football leaks Sane was guaranteed to earn 24 million minimum in 3 years when he signed for City. Jesus signed way bigger contract when he signed.

It usual twitter numpties with no clue, sort of sums up though. No clue but first to be outraged, and people follow like sheep.
The sad thing is, this Goldbridge guy tweeting this, runs one of the biggest United fan channels on YouTube "United Stand" which I watch regularly. Its baffling how clueless he is, when all he does, all day everyday is upload United videos..

Stacks

May have been posted before but is an interesting take.

Anton Toloui questioned whether the player was worth a new four-year on Sky Sports' new transfer show 'Good Morning Transfers'.

"I would say he was underwhelming last season - 10 goals in the Premier League, which is joint 25th in the league last season," said the Sky Sports News reporter.

"He has pace, dynamism, athleticism, so you expect him to take on defenders and yet he is only 41st in the number of dribbles per game last season. That is not good enough,

"Twenty third in the fouls created - he is not creating enough problems for defenders. Yes, United struggled, yes he is young, yes he is English and we should all be excited.

"But I do not think it is wrong to ask for more from Marcus Rashford.

"He finished joint-25th in the Premier League in scorers last season, but he was ninth in the number of shots. So he is having the chances, and the only statistic which he comes out near the top of is the number of big chances missed, where he is fifth in the Premier League.

"Rashford needs to up his game if he is going to be this number one striker that Man Utd are paying this money for.

"If you are paying that much money - and United have made this mistake before, they have thrown money at other players and they have not had the reward from it.

"And if Ole is at the wheel, Rashford could stall the car and eventually break it down, because if United do not score, they do not move up the table and Ole loses his job."

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why are they so care free about burning wages yet scrimp and scrape on a new signing that will strengthen the team!?
Because they're on the back foot. This is a major problem we have. Every agent and player knows we desperately need to sort the team out, and that anyone wanting to leave or kicking up a fuss could cause major issues, either by leaving and needing to replace yet another player, or causing upset in the dressing room.
We need to get a handle on it. The only way is getting the team actually sorted once and for all so that there's no threat, which means we'd need to seriously ramp up transfer proceedings.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A flat £200k a week salary (plus bonuses) for a 20-year old whose goalscoring returns are less than impressive is, in my opinion, excessive.

That said, I'm happy he has agreed to stay. I only hope he's mature enough to handle the increase in expectations that comes with this new contract.

United Hobbit

I would rather we had him than Lukaku, I was expecting them to announce Sanchez style wages (not that I think he should have been on them obviously just the way things have been going) so at least it's not that, I think he does care certainly more than some of them and perhaps tries too hard at times, however this is where the coaches need to help him I watched that Amazon documentary on City and they did a lot of video analysis with them, does Rashford have the same with the coaches sitting down with him after games and reviewing his decision making with him?

Also from the Beans comments I wondered what on earth "Jlingz" was referring to in that video so is that what he calls Rashy? Ed needs to get working on securing us a baked beans partner with jlingz moon walking across baked beans cans in the advert...

It's also a positive we have been able to get him to sign a deal if anything to send a more positive message to players potentially wanting to join us

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
If he deserves such a salary I'd like to know how much they'd give to Messi/Ronaldo, 5 Milions a week?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Personally I'm chuffed, one of the few players I think gets what being at utd is about, and has huge potential.

Devils11

This is madness. United are paying their first choice No 9, £200k a week, and he shouldn't be expected to score 20 goals a season? That's complete nuts.

I must be living in another world.
That is not my words exactly. Of cos we all expect him to get 20 goals. But what I am saying is we should be looking at the team performance rather then individual stat.
What if he only get 10 goals and we win the title? Or he scores 40 goals and we finish 6th again? Which is a better season for him?

Patrick08

Is it really 200k or just usual media bull shit who gets reactions from united fans for writing absolute bull s**t?

meninred

Another of our endless poor negotiation. We don't have to be city.

roonster09

Scout

Anton Toloui questioned whether the player was worth a new four-year on Sky Sports' new transfer show 'Good Morning Transfers'.

"I would say he was underwhelming last season - 10 goals in the Premier League, which is joint 25th in the league last season," said the Sky Sports News reporter.

"He has pace, dynamism, athleticism, so you expect him to take on defenders and yet he is only 41st in the number of dribbles per game last season. That is not good enough,

"Twenty third in the fouls created - he is not creating enough problems for defenders. Yes, United struggled, yes he is young, yes he is English and we should all be excited.

"He finished joint-25th in the Premier League in scorers last season, but he was ninth in the number of shots. So he is having the chances, and the only statistic which he comes out near the top of is the number of big chances missed, where he is fifth in the Premier League.

"Rashford needs to up his game if he is going to be this number one striker that Man Utd are paying this money for.

"If you are paying that much money - and United have made this mistake before, they have thrown money at other players and they have not had the reward from it.

"And if Ole is at the wheel, Rashford could stall the car and eventually break it down, because if United do not score, they do not move up the table and Ole loses his job."

Rashford really should up his game this season as he will be our first choice player but that's really a very poor take on things, ignoring context.

Rashford played as winger and striker last season, comparing him on goal alone ignoring mins is poor analysis.

Dribbles Completed: Playing as striker, only 6 players completed more dribbles per 90 mins than Rashford. He completed more dribbles than Firmino, Aguero, Laca, Kane, Richarlison, Auba, Callum Wilson, Vardy.

Fouls won: Rashford played many games as a sub, so using fouls per game will always give skewed stats as he came on as a sub. For example, he wins 1.6 fouls per game but if you go by per 90 mins, he wins 1.9 fouls. Playing as striker, only 8 players won more fouls per 90 mins than Rashford. That's more than Salah, Raul Jiminez, Wilson, Aguero, Son, Auba, Vardy, Frimino

Goals: As a striker, he scored 0.4 goals per 90 mins (open play only), only 10 players scored at better rate than that. His record was better than Richarlison, Firmino, Jimenez, King, Zaha, Murray.

Assists: As a striker, only 7 players had better assists per 90 mins, his record was better than Kane, Auba, Vardy, Zaha, King

Shots: He has way too many shots as he takes many from long distance. For example, among strikers he is second in shots from outside the box but when it comes to shots from 6 yard box, he is in 22nd position. When it comes to shots from penalty area he is in 21st position.

So if you want to sum up, playing as a striker, Rashford:
- 7th in dribbles completed per 90 mins, better than Firmino, Augero, Laca, Kane
- 8th in fouls won per 90 mins, better than Salah, Jiminez, Aguero, Son, Aubo, Firmino
- 11th in goals (open play) per 90 mins as a striker, better than Firmino,
- 8th in Assists per 90 mins better than Kane, Auba, Vardy, Zaha
- 3rd in chances created per 90 mins for a striker, only Salah and Zaha created more. So he is better than Firmino, Son, Aguero, and every other striker.
- 15th in least unsuccessful touches, better than Jimenez, Murray, Kane, Lucas, Wilson, King, Richarlison, Zaha, Salah
- 22nd is least dispossessed, as many as Aguero and better than Firmino, Laca, Richarlison, King, Salah, Zaha

If you go to defensive contribution then
- only 10 players won more tackles per 90 mins. Better than Richarlison, Auba, Aguero, Son, Vardy, Salah, Kane,
- Interceptions - 21st with so many strikers having better record.

We have really good player who is underrated a lot with so many unnecessary comparisons.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

Although most Sky employee's are ABU's, cant disagree with the sentiment here..