Mario Lemina

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In style? In my opinion, I'd say he is. That is my opinion and you don't have to agree it.
Agreed..

He's a combative midfielder who is capable of driving forward with ball similar to Dembele. Both players are very strong on the ball which is another similiarity.

Wouldn't be my first choice but for £15m he's worth the risk. Much better than Fellaini on the ball and is quicker and physically stronger than Herrera.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The way he drives with the ball and strength.
Lemina’s dribbling ability is no where close to Dembele’s. United want to compete they need a better standard of player, I can’t believe that with United’s resources are happy with this. It just seems the Glazer’s are trying to consolidate the massive debt the club has. There were so many better options.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Dembele’s main strengths were his passing and dribbling, Lemina’s passing is decent but he doesn’t dribble or beat players. I simply don’t see it.
I don't think he's saying they're exactly alike. But Lemina can beat players with a dribble and there's plenty of evidence of that in central areas and out wide in a one v one situation. He's also very hard to knock off the ball due to his physical strength similar to Dembele.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I saw him a few times absolutely boss it for Southampton, and a few other times barely move. Was surprised he ended up there in the first place, definitely worry about his temperament.

But some real talent.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I have watched both players and that's the opinion I have formed.
Fair enough, your happy with a Player Southampton want off their books.

I don't think he's saying they're exactly alike. But Lemina can beat players with a dribble and there's plenty of evidence of that in central areas and out wide in a one v one situation. He's also very hard to knock off the ball due to his physical strength similar to Dembele.
Again I haven’t said Lemina is bad, but he reminds me of a less goal scoring Jenas, lots of energy, decent passer but that’s about it, also both very inconsistent. He seems to be what Fred was supposed to be.

red thru&thru

I was a bit gutted about this but for the figures banded around, he's more of a replacement for Frllaini. Decent.

Gopher Brown

I don’t want to sound like a spoilt brat, but if we’re just gonna sign players cos their cheap, not because they are the right fit for us, what’s the fecking point in all the marketing bullshit and selling out to all comers we do to bring in hundreds of millions of pounds per year?

If we wouldn’t want him for £50m, then I still don’t want him for £15m.

Crashoutcassius

Look up I have said he isn’t bad, but why do you think they want to sell? Il say I think it’s because their coach demands a massive work rate and press and he doesn’t have that.
he is clearly having issues at the club. first time in his career his application has been called into question from what I can tell. was considering a coup for southampton at the time and has struggled with injuries more than anything else - clearly the biggest concern

fps

I would be very, very concerned if this was the standard of midfielder Man Utd were truly looking to buy.

IrishRedDevil

£15m Herrera replacement. Would be good value. On his day, he’s a good midfielder and adds dribbling ability to our squad.

Nick7

I've only ever seen him play well against us. It also strikes me like we aren't actually in for him. Seems like the agent messing around.

DoomSlayer

Definitely £15 million is a great price in today's market. Every time I've seen Lemina it's impressed me how explosive he is on the ball, good technique as well and also having proper work-rate for a CM.

Not sure what his passing is like though but surely could be worth a punt.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We do need quality and I'm alittle concerned we haven't bought more than the two players we've already signed in James and AWB. Hoping that will change in the remaining time left in the window.

But we did lose two established players from the midfield for peanuts and can't just throw huge bids around to replace them considering we require surgery in a number of positions. I suspect someone like Lemina would be bought in as a somewhat experienced squad player whilst we go big on someone else.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think a useful exercise, from reading this forum, may be to imagine what we would say if City, Spurs or Liverpool were closing in on a player. There is certainly risk attached to every signing, but I think United fans on Redcafe find it far easier to see the positives and benefits of a potential rival signing, whereas any negative is accentuated if it’s us.

I won’t pretend that I had been posting we should sign Lemina for ages or anything, but I’m aware of the positives he has, so if we have decided we can get those things out of him regularly, then it certainly excites me. He’s very talented - to a ‘much better than Southampton’ level. Sometimes these players do ‘find their level’ at Southampton of course, perhaps due to lack of application or just a sequence of events breaking like that. Other times, it’s not the case. I remember the caf debate to sign Mousa Dembele, also for £15m, when he was at Fulham. Many were in favour, but we also had many of the same dismissing as we have with Lemina. Same with Wijnaldum at Newcastle.

Lemina at £15m or whatever makes the gamble on his significant talent being realised far more worth it. It’s maybe like buying a cat-C 2018 Benz for £10k. The price immediately makes the potential upside the prominent factor. If the same car was £50k, I appreciate the risk would be greater and the focus would be more on what could go right. The fact is, the price makes failure or success any more or less likely to happen. Just determines the worthiness of it. Lemina is like said Mercedes for me, and at the quoted prices, there is still a very real and tangible reason for believing we could end up getting the value of a £50k Benz for £10k here I think.

haram

Lost Herrera on a free, replace him with a cheap signing on lower wages. Sell Fellaini and replace with academy player Scott McTominay on lower wages. Sell Pogba, replace with Bruno for half the price. Sell Lukaku, replace with Ben Yedder for half the price.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Nothing I haven’t said he is bad, I just don’t think he is that great. Why have Fred, let Herrera go then sign him, I don’t see much reason behind it. If he is to replace Herrera it’s a massive downgrade.
Probably because he's a decent squad player for a reasonable price and doesn't want 300k a week.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Lost Herrera on a free, replace him with a cheap signing on lower wages. Sell Fellaini and replace with academy player Scott McTominay on lower wages. Sell Pogba, replace with Bruno for half the price. Sell Lukaku, replace with Ben Yedder for half the price.
Would be decent business.

Lee565

If we are going to sign cheap average rubbish like this player that we are linked to I would rather just give a youth team player the chance rather than stunt their potential in favour of giving game time to bang average players that will never be a player capable of being part of a team fighting for top honours, thought we would have learned that lesson from doing exactly this in the past with the likes Pogba when he was in our academy.

Are we now on the same level of Arsenal in terms of lack of ambition because it seems like it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It’s never good business for Manchester United if the money goes back to the Glazers.
And all the replacements are worse than the ones they're replacing, which is also bad business.