Martial exit?

mikeyt

It's the right move, just hope it's not a case of use freeing up £250k a week to waste on another average player who will cost £60million.

RuudTom83

Martial is on his way out so that's one less problem to fix.

But I'm more worried about the ones coming in the door as they don't seem to be any better.

Mainoonited

One more bad apple gone hopefully.

9 years, 317 appearances 90 goals.

He had one good season.

Stadjer

Supremely talented? I cannot tell if this is a joke.
Imo such low standards.
Sure.. easy to say now. Players can not reach their full potential and still be supremely talented. If you arent able to see how talented Martial was as a player that is more on your ability to judge players. He started his first season for Manchester United as a 19 year old and scored 11 goals and had 5 assists as a left winger who wasnt playing all the minutes he could. There arent many players able to do that.

Antony Martial literally won the golden boy award. At that time he had everything a future star needed. He had fantastic close control, he was fast, he could dribble past players like they werent there. Maybe its too long ago and you cant remember or dont want to remember but Martial was once upon a time seen as one the most promising players in the world.

Reiver

There is talent in him and I don't think he's got close to the player he could potentially have been at one point.
I've stuck up for him in the past but the time has come for him to go. Not renewing his contract is the right thing to do.

Cloud7

It is a shame how it went. When we signed him he had everything to go on and be one of the best in the world. His debut goal against Liverpool was one of my favorite moments in the last decade of crap. Sadly he's another one whose body seems to have let him down and he lost a lot of his most exciting features as the years went by.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
9 years of the French Pele...another shining example of what a shambles we have been as a club.

Red & White

Was a huge fan in the early days. I was desperate for him to succeed here as he seemed to have everything and was such an exciting player. The time has come to move on and even now, this is a few years too late.

Woodzy

He should never have had a sniff at being in this team after his failed loan at Sevilla.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
The club would be clever to find another 9 this winter, on loan to help the poor Rasmus.

Martial should not even be included in the team and will hopefully leave this summer.

Fed up with him

ROFLUTION

It'll cost 3m in expenses to extent him for another year.

He's not fit for our club that's for sure, but how will we get another decent backup striker at that cost? Surely Højlund can't play every game. Imo we need 2 new strikers, but that's probably outside of our budget. I don't think we long term will play Rashford up front neither.

And Martial is decent - Last year we had fecking Wout Weghorst. At least Martial has a bit of everything and can hold up the ball well, while also having technique. 3 m for a decent squad player is nothing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

He's not fit for our club that's for sure, but how will we get another decent backup striker at that cost? Surely Højlund can't play every game. Imo we need 2 new strikers, but that's probably outside of our budget. I don't think we long term will play Rashford up front neither.

And Martial is decent - Last year we had fecking Wout Weghorst. At least Martial has a bit of everything and can hold up the ball well, while also having technique. 3 m for a decent squad player is nothing.
2 goals says he's not really a decent squad player though. He's an occasionally decent squad player which is not quite the same thing. We should have backup players who score at 1 in 3 minimum, not 1 in 10 (and I appreciate our first choices can't manage that right now!)

Gordon Godot

Martial is a waste of space, Just because Wout was awful doesnt mean that is the bar we judge by. Pep has managed to play for long periods without a recognised striker.

ROFLUTION

2 goals says he's not really a decent squad player though. He's an occasionally decent squad player which is not quite the same thing. We should have backup players who score at 1 in 3 minimum, not 1 in 10 (and I appreciate our first choices can't manage that right now!)
Well, we can all agree it’s not great - but which alternative can give us the same for 3m? I'm arguing he should be 3rd choice, that's all.

I just doubt we can get any real strikers who's actually a lot better, without paying around 40m. With this years injury crisis we need someone to fill in if everything goes south.

TwoSheds

Well, we can all agree it’s not great - but which alternative can give us the same for 3m? I'm arguing he should be 3rd choice, that's all.

I just doubt we can get any real strikers who's actually a lot better, without paying around 40m. With this years injury crisis we need someone to fill in if everything goes south.
Doesn't matter, players at Man United need to achieve a higher standard than that. If we have to spend 10m or 20m to get a better 3rd choice than that then we should. It's a false economy to have to coach players who are no longer at the required level just because they are cheap. It's how you end up extending the likes of Rojo and Phil Jones long past their sell by dates. I wouldn't even cost £3m a year, I'd do it for free probably, but I also wouldn't sign me for Man United. I'd rather give a youngster a go next year, whether we sign them or it's one of the U18s. Amad can also play there sort of.

ROFLUTION

Doesn't matter, players at Man United need to achieve a higher standard than that. If we have to spend 10m or 20m to get a better 3rd choice than that then we should. It's a false economy to have to coach players who are no longer at the required level just because they are cheap. It's how you end up extending the likes of Rojo and Phil Jones long past their sell by dates. I wouldn't even cost £3m a year, I'd do it for free probably, but I also wouldn't sign me for Man United. I'd rather give a youngster a go next year, whether we sign them or it's one of the U18s. Amad can also play there sort of.
But you gotta be pragmatic. Extending for 1 year if we can't get anyone, then it is better than not extending and having a lightweight academy player who can't fill in to play on top. It's not unthinkable that both Højlund and Rashford is injured at the same time or that one is and the other needs a rest now and then. Amad is a winger, he's too light weight and lacks height to play as a target man.

The thing is, for 10m Wout Weghorst is about what you can get. I'd rather have Martial then for 3m and use 7m more on a 2nd striker, that's all.

Gordon Godot

But you gotta be pragmatic. Extending for 1 year if we can't get anyone, then it is better than not extending and having an academy player who can't fill in to play on top.

The thing is, for 10m Wout Weghorst is about what you can get. I'd rather have Martial then for 3m and use 7m more on a 2nd striker, that's all.
This 'pragmatism' rubbish is what got us into this mess. He is not good enough and incapable of running, get him gone. End of.

statpadder

Got the replies though didn’t it? In all seriousness, Martial has been the scapegoat even though he has not played much.

All the frustration has been taken out on him even though Hoijland has struggled more.

It’s about time people see where the problem lies actually rather than blaming their usual targets like Antony and Anthony.

ROFLUTION

This 'pragmatism' rubbish is what got us into this mess. He is not good enough and incapable of running, get him gone. End of.
You can’t present better alternatives can you? Name one better option as 3rd striker for 10m. We do need a third backup, I’m sure you’ll agree with that.

TwoSheds

You can’t present better alternatives can you? Name one better option as 3rd striker for 10m. We do need a third backup, I’m sure you’ll agree with that.
Ok as an example Villa signed that Colombian lad for I think it was 10-20m. He's no world beater but he puts himself about and has potential to improve. If a club with our resources and history can't find somebody worth a punt like that then we might as well sack the scouting team and close the doors. In fact I suspect we'll be after Guirassy if the release clause is true. Again, he might not be the answer to our prayers but he's potentially worth rolling the dice on.

What I know for sure is if we keep Martial, even in the event that he keeps himself fit like he currently is, he's no longer very good at football. Time to move on.

spiriticon

Martial is not a decent backup striker. He's not even on Chicharito's level.

With the exception of 1 season, his goal numbers are godawful.

Been here 5 years too long.

Marwood

You don't need three strikers. Two is fine with one of the wide players(Rashford) also filling in.

Jeffthered

Buckle up Antony. You’re the next scapegoat now.

I hope he rips it at another club that has a functional attack and us Martial FC fans are proven right again.

So sick of the non technical supporters of this football club who’ve probably never played football at any level ridiculing our strikers every game.
This post is quite, quite bizarre, on a number of levels. Keep them coming though! :lol:

Flanders Devil

But you gotta be pragmatic. Extending for 1 year if we can't get anyone, then it is better than not extending and having a lightweight academy player who can't fill in to play on top. It's not unthinkable that both Højlund and Rashford is injured at the same time or that one is and the other needs a rest now and then. Amad is a winger, he's too light weight and lacks height to play as a target man.

I get your logic, albeit I don't agree with keeping Martial in this instance, however- can you explain how you got $3m? Surely he's extension is worth more than $60k/week?

And if it is, then my bad! And I may agree with your point after all!

ROFLUTION

I get your logic, albeit I don't agree with keeping Martial in this instance, however- can you explain how you got $3m? Surely he's extension is worth more than $60k/week?

And if it is, then my bad! And I may agree with your point after all!
Hmm, sorry I made a mistake. I initially Just googled his monthly wage and multiplied by 12. 250k a month x 12. But it’s his weekly wage that is 250k, so it’s actually 12-13m to keep him.

Yeah maybe he’s not worth it then. At that point we might just take a punt on somebody else.

sugar_kane

One of the more bizarre United-related things that happened in the last few years was when he went on loan to Sevilla and they'd arranged for Brazilian Ronaldo to record a welcome video for him.

He went on to score 1 goal for them, or half a Weghorst if you will.

iHicksy

I know on this forum we love to take the moral high ground with players and "stand by them no matter what". But at some point people need to wake up and realise that the majority of players come here for money, they don't have emotional attacthment to the club. The ones that form that and play with all their hearts deserve ourunwavering support. I'm talking about your Vidics, Evra's, RvP's etc.

However, we have to take some responsibility as fans that we play a role in supporting the decline of this club when we cheer and sing for the likes of Martial no matter what - Part of me thinks in this day and age and the way football is going we need to be more madrid-lite in terms of letting players know their performances won't be accepted via boo's etc. He's happy to stay here for 9 years doing the bare minimum and picking up insane wages, in part because he and other players get such an easy ride from us.

Jericho

Martial is a waste of space, Just because Wout was awful doesnt mean that is the bar we judge by. Pep has managed to play for long periods without a recognised striker.
That's the bar I judge the club by though. I'm sick of Martial but the fact that we brought in a striker of the level of Weghorst at all means it wouldn't surprise me if this club got a downgrade on Martial after letting him go.

IRELANDUNITED

I wonder how much his overall cost really was in the end. Initial fee was £36m, but what add ons were actually met (if they were)? It was £9m for Ballon D'or, £9m for winning the CL as well I think. So £36m for him isn't too bad a deal overall (not including the shit he's put out over the last 3 seasons, the exorbitant wage etc etc).
He had good moments, particularly during the Ole era. I always remember lockdown and Covid with a United front 3 of Greenwood - Martial - Rashford. In front of a midfield 3 of Matic - Pogba - Bruno. It seemed like we played with that team every single week in an empty stadium.
It’s a pity it didn’t work out for Martial, maybe in a different era he might have been successful, maybe. He definitely had more talent than a lot of other players that ended up having good careers. He just doesn’t seem to have the mentality to be a top class football player.