Martial exit?

gaffs

He is well and truely shafting us by staying, he clearly doesnt want us to get a transfer fee for him and knows he wont get the wages he is on at any other club.
We shafted ourselves by having him at United for the past 9 years.

What difference does another few months make? He wont get a new contract and no one would buy him at this point, knowing he is on a free in 5 months time.

The last thing he wants to do it put himself in the shop window by going on loan and failing. Or even worse, get an injury.

Best for him to keep calling in sick and not playing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Out of the two I know who I'd trust to put the ball in the net when presented with a good chance and sadly it isn't Rasmus.
I could say the same about Ronaldo. I'm not here defending Hojlund as some inevitable world class striker (I quite like him though), I am here saying Martial is fecking useless and for a team he is atrocious and badly affects every other cog in the machine. That's hardly controversial. It's a shame he's sitting on his contract until summer but it was 100% to be expected. It's not like he'll have decent options now, or even in summer, though he'll likely get some decent retirement money somewhere.

lex talionis

We shafted ourselves by having him at United for the past 9 years.

What difference does another few months make? He wont get a new contract and no one would buy him at this point, knowing he is on a free in 5 months time.

The last thing he wants to do it put himself in the shop window by going on loan and failing. Or even worse, get an injury.

Best for him to keep calling in sick and not playing.
9 years??? That is truly a self-shaft job by United.

Ghostrider318

Hell do well to get a contract that pays him a quarter of what hes making right now. I think hell go to turkey, get injured and fade away soon after. Retired by 31

BuzzKillington

Every time I see this thread bumped, I think we’ve finally shifted him. Imagine my disappointment.

I think the next best thing will be to put this and his performance thread on ignore and just tell myself he’s left. It’s not like he’s ever likely to appear on the pitch and prove me wrong.

davidmichael

Whether he stays or goes we simply have to put him in the reserves and leave him there until his contract is up in the summer, I’d honestly rather see Hugill and McNeil as back up to Hojlund if we can’t bring in another striker this month as at least those two will put a shift in which is the bare minimum to expect.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
His agent is in Turkey according to the local press. Preparing for a summer move?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Love how we’d rather make a 20 year old the only striker at the club than hold onto Martial a day longer. It’s clear that Ten Hag knows he’s basically zero use us.

Coops73

I’m sure he was injured during pre season (I might be wrong) and now he’s “ill” during the January window, now the lazy feck wants to “fight” for his place, he’s taken the piss out of United for far too long and now he wants to milk us for an extra few million till the end of the season and yeah, cnuts like Woodward should never have given him the ability to do that but he’s everything that’s fecked up about this club.

SAFMUTD

Yeah, he's pretty much Bogarded his way through a huge contract, may as well see it out. But if the club simply can't offer him another year, it would be incredibly dumb.

The worst part is, you will have people that still think he can offer something, even after he's been booted out the door.
I dont think you'll find many that are still on Martial's camp.

GoldanoGraham

No surprise he is gonna sit it out to the end of the season. He’s been doing that for the last couple of seasons.

He will milk us for a few more million and then leave on a free.

Legacy deal from the Woodward era.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No surprise he is gonna sit it out to the end of the season. He’s been doing that for the last couple of seasons.
I agree with every word of that.
We have absolutely no chance of clawing any money back for Martial, and Joel Glazer is a major reason why we never shifted him years ago.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

It is and (one of) the key things Ratcliffe/his team need to change.

He can stop us getting Into these ridiculous situations going forward but he also has to extricate us from existing ones.

Binning Martial may well have a monetary cost but setting the standards and sending a message has value too.

As would selling underperforming “stars”.

Short term pain/hits… longer term gains.

youngrell

I think some are being very narrow-sighted and a bit harsh on his overall time here. As a long time fan of the player, I'm as disappointed as anyone with how it has turned out as I had the highest of hopes for him, but you can't reduce his whole time at United to just the last couple of years.

It's clear to see that his decline in performance has come with his consistent injuries. He has been a shadow of himself since 2020/21 and you can see the change in his appearance/physique as much as his performances. Watch the video below and remember what he was capable of and look at the difference to today's version.

With regards to him leaving, it has been nigh on impossible for him to move on in the past few years, and it is the club's fault not his. He had a long, lucrative contract and nobody was going to pay a decent transfer fee for him and match this wages while he was constantly in and out of fitness and form. Besides, even during that time we have been so woefully low in quality and numbers at centre forward, he was still getting ample opportunities while available, so why the hell would he move?

Even this season, he had plenty of opportunities up until arguing with EtH vs Newcastle. Which is when fans started piling in once more. Anyway, the club need to get their butt in gear and sort out our striker issue which has been ongoing for nearly a decade. He should only leave this month if we have a proper replacement ready to come in.

JohnnyKills

I think some are being very narrow-sighted and a bit harsh on his overall time here. As a long time fan of the player, I'm as disappointed as anyone with how it has turned out as I had the highest of hopes for him, but you can't reduce his whole time at United to just the last couple of years.

It's clear to see that his decline in performance has come with his consistent injuries. He has been a shadow of himself since 2020/21 and you can see the change in his appearance/physique as much as his performances. Watch the video below and remember what he was capable of and look at the difference to today's version.

With regards to him leaving, it has been nigh on impossible for him to move on in the past few years, and it is the club's fault not his. He had a long, lucrative contract and nobody was going to pay a decent transfer fee for him and match this wages while he was constantly in and out of fitness and form. Besides, even during that time we have been so woefully low in quality and numbers at centre forward, he was still getting ample opportunities while available, so why the hell would he move?

Even this season, he had plenty of opportunities up until arguing with EtH vs Newcastle. Which is when fans started piling in once more. Anyway, the club need to get their butt in gear and sort out our striker issue which has been ongoing for nearly a decade. He should only leave this month if we have a proper replacement ready to come in.

Good, balanced post. You'll be shouted down by the top reds though

Zed 101

I admire your dedication but Martial has only scored more than 20 goals in one season and only over 10 in another 3, 0.28 goals per game overall... and his stats were similar at Monaco

As for injuries, last season he played 29 and scored 9, 0.31 GPG so actually better than his average, there have only been 2 seasons in his entire career where he has averaged better than 0.31 GPG so not sure where this notion that he has been ravaged by injuries comes from, it is just nonsense

You can make excuses but he is just not good enough

As for our fault he cannot be sold? I don't blame any player for squeezing every last penny, but whilst it is our fault he was given a lucrative contract he is not obliged to demand that his wages are kept at that level by a new club, he should recognise that he his performances do not warrant that level of wage... but if he wants to warm the bench and make bank I do not blame him, but he could get a move if he was willing to

K Stand Knut

This guys is a massive whopper.

I don’t think I’ve seen a lazier, more pointless player in my time as a United fan.

The sooner we can get rid of him, the better. If we were in a position to get rid now, I’d just pay his contract up and be done. I’d only keep him now because he is a number that we need. If I trusted someone to go and get a half-decent loan in, I’d happily just feck him.

Abhorrent waste of money. We his song literally spells out

Phil Osophy

I wonder if both reports could be true. Maybe Martial doesn't feel any urgency to leave now, but his agent could be talking to clubs and assessing options.

This supposed desire to go to the Euros could be his agent telling clubs that Martial is motivated to play, so he could be a valuable player if they sign him. Those reports came from Turkey so that's probably what his agent told to Fenerbahce. If that's the case I wouldn't discard something happening this month. I can imagine Martial's agent trying to convince him to go and play elsewhere and make it clear that he wants to prove a point.

It wouldn't help his cause if clubs see a player with his injury record, happy to collect his wages until the last day without any motivation to play and aiming for a free agent bonus, basically going after the money without doing much. No decent clubs want players like this.

Not directly comparing them (different cases) but DDG has been a free agent for many months despite winning the PL's golden glove last season, and Lingard doesn't have a team either. If I was Martial I wouldn't play with fire much.

youngrell

I admire your dedication but Martial has only scored more than 20 goals in one season and only over 10 in another 3, 0.28 goals per game overall... and his stats were similar at Monaco

As for injuries, last season he played 29 and scored 9, 0.31 GPG so actually better than his average, there have only been 2 seasons in his entire career where he has averaged better than 0.31 GPG so not sure where this notion that he has been ravaged by injuries comes from, it is just nonsense

As for our fault he cannot be sold? I don't blame any player for squeezing every last penny, but whilst it is our fault he was given a lucrative contract he is not obliged to demand that his wages are kept at that level by a new club, he should recognise that he his performances do not warrant that level of wage... but if he wants to warm the bench and make bank I do not blame him, but he could get a move if he was willing to
That's the point, though. He hasn't really warmed the bench, he has mostly played when he's available so why move when you're still getting minutes? If we had alternatives and he was actually benched, I think he probably would have been more inclined to push for a move (like he did with the load to Sevilla). It's on the club for not pushing him out via better players in his position.

He certainly has deficiencies, which have contributed to his low goal tallies and he should've worked harder on improving them, but his overall contribution to the team has severely reduced since his regular injuries. Just watch the video of his early goals, it is a completely different player. If that was a potential new signing scoring those goals we would be very excited to get him in.

JohnnyKills

Some counter-points here...

He's won POTY twice, scored nearly 100 goals for us and won MOTM against City how many times? Three? And he's scored lots of big goals including the winner in the semi-final.

That shouldn't be good enough, but in the context of the post-Fergie decade, it makes him one of our best performers. Who's done more than him? De Gea, Shaw, Rashford and Bruno definitely. Pogba, Herrera and Maguire debatable. That's it.

And he's definitely suffered injuries. We can't excuse players like Cavani (as many people have on here) and then condemn Martial, just because people have this perception that he's faking.

Overall, he's been a disappoint and it's best for everyone that he goes. But the vitriol that he gets on here is ridiculous - someone was saying the other day that Anderson achieved more than him at United! It's madness.

And finally, you're right about the blame for his staying. I hate it when people say 'ah, it's not his fault.' Most of us turn up for work and do our best, so we shouldn't excuse people just sitting there and taking the money.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
De Gea, Lingard, Martial will all be unemployed in the summer. They will just wait for Sancho and Antony to complete the 5-a-side team.

Zed 101

That's the point, though. He hasn't really warmed the bench, he has mostly played when he's available so why move when you're still getting minutes? If we had alternatives and he was actually benched, I think he probably would have been more inclined to push for a move (like he did with the load to Sevilla). It's on the club for not pushing him out via better players in his position.

He certainly has deficiencies, which have contributed to his low goal tallies and he should've worked harder on improving them, but his overall contribution to the team has severely reduced since his regular injuries. Just watch the video of his early goals, it is a completely different player. If that was a potential new signing scoring those goals we would be very excited to get him in.
Another reason I have lost faith in ETH, I would rather he played Hugill or stuck McT as an out and out striker.... either which way it doesn't really matter when ETH plays a system, style and team which does not utilise a number 9

niima

Supports
United
He is a sponger

DDG,Lingard and probably Martial ,being unemployed just after luxurative contracts with United shows Woody's masterpiece

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This guys is a massive whopper.

I don’t think I’ve seen a lazier, more pointless player in my time as a United fan.

The sooner we can get rid of him, the better. If we were in a position to get rid now, I’d just pay his contract up and be done. I’d only keep him now because he is a number that we need. If I trusted someone to go and get a half-decent loan in, I’d happily just feck him.

Abhorrent waste of money. We his song literally spells out
Sancho…

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Would be fine to have him go if we bring someone else in...but will we?
Tbh, saving the wages is probably worth it. What would he play, maybe 5 games? Probably 1 goal? £250k / week is £5m by June...