Martial Number Change Fallout

Sparky Rhiwabon

Jesus Christ it's just a number. Anyway, 11 suits Martial more than 9. He's not a 9 yet and he's inheriting Giggs' number, that's more important than 9.

If a player gets mad over a number then he shouldn't be here. It's the honest truth.

I'm sure Martial won't be acting like we've 'betrayed' him.
And it was George Best's number back in the day

MounchesterUtd

Even Beckham changed from 7 to 23 during his commercial peak. I don't think it'll be hard to rebrand Martial considering he's only worn no. 9 for a year.

ThanksBoss26

And it was George Best's number back in the day
Absolutely. People seem to associate Best with no.7 which he did wear of course (including in the European Cup Final), but he wore 11 just as much, if not more. When Giggs burst onto the scene and comparisons started, Best also mentioned they both wore the same number.

Appreciate the branding side now etc, but 11 is a more iconic shirt at United than 9 anyway to me.

ChaddyP

Adnan doesn't have much say because he can be told you are going on loan if he complaints. Plus Jose is a new Manager, he wants to impress him so he can be slected in the squad, so complaining on shirt number is the last thing on his mind.
I'm not saying he should complain, i just thought it would be funny how Januzaj eventually found out about his number change and how it panned out. I mean if one of our best players allegedly had no clue about his number change imagine how Januzaj found out :lol:

Tiber

Not at all surpised that our bright young striker is pissed that we took away his number to hand it to a one year rental.

binary bot
Even Beckham changed from 7 to 23 during his commercial peak. I don't think it'll be hard to rebrand Martial considering he's only worn no. 9 for a year.
It won't be difficult, just very unnecessary and shortsighted.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
You don't want to unnecessarily piss off Martial, especially not for the sake of Ibrahimovic. :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
MR9 is a thing? Wasn't even the well known CR7 actually CR9 at one point? This story is just utter bull from top to bottom. Obviously we would have told him.

FreeHerrera

This is what happens when you bring narcissists such as Zlatan. We've angered a genuine world class talent that loves this club for a 35 year old arrogant narcissist who makes enemies wherever he goes.

Skills

Snitch
Why are we even changing numbers? Give the player a number when they get the job, and stick to it. It's a farce, changing numbers for established players.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Zlatan is a bit of a cnut isn't he? Why not just take #11 instead?
And piss of another player, how exactly is that okay while taking another number is cnutish? I'm pretty sure the club said he could pick any number apart from 10 because he's seen as such a pivotal figure for the club, football and marketing wise. If this story is true, the only cnutish behavior in the case is the one of the club's.

This is what happens when you bring narcissists such as Zlatan. We've angered a genuine world class talent that loves this club for a 35 year old arrogant narcissist who makes enemies wherever he goes.
As I think Zlatan has been given a free choice of numbers (apart from 10) by the club, should he have taken 2 since it was free? I agree that this move is shitty but by the club, not by Zlatan.

FreeHerrera

And piss of another player, how exactly is that okay while taking another number is cnutish? I'm pretty sure the club said he could pick any number apart from 10 because he's seen as such a pivotal figure for the club, football and marketing wise. If this story is true, the only cnutish behavior in the case is the one of the club's.

As I think Zlatan has been given a free choice of numbers (apart from 10) by the club, should he have taken 2 since it was free? I agree that this move is shitty but by the club, not by Zlatan.
Number 11 was not used by a starter. It's only natural that the starters get the more popular numbers. Martial is a starter. Januzaj is not.

dove

Wouldn't be surprised. The club is literally kissing Rooney's ass for at least 5 years now, we will do the same with Ibra.

$inner_88

I'll be pissed if he leaves. Him and rashford were the shining light last season.

Hoping it's all media bullshit.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fecking dumb taking the number off him. It's only a stupid number but you'd think doing everything we could to keep one of the best young strikers around sweet would be common sense.

MounchesterUtd

It won't be difficult, just very unnecessary and shortsighted.
To be fair to Martial, he's probably too young to remember prime Giggs (what more about Best) so he wouldn't know the history of this number at United. Maybe someone in the club can get Evra to talk to him about it.

dichinero

I agree, I see all the posts acting like it's nothing, but to not even talk to him about it before doing it is poor on the club's part. He openly wanted the #9 when he signed so to take it off him for a 35 year old without even discussing it breeds bad feeling.
Can you imagine the melt down if Zlatan was given the #10 without telling Rooney? Double standards in this place. I hate number changes whilst the owner is still at the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probablly all made up. Would be idiotic if Woody took his number without asking considering he was our main guy and sold so many jerseys. Martial is 1q for France so he is probably fine

MounchesterUtd

Assuming Martial does get the no. 9 back, either this season or when Ibra leaves, what happens to Rashford's?

Martial 9, Rashford 11, Pogba 10?

Martial 9, Rashford 10, Pogba 6/8, TFM 6/8?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
He should be honoured to have the number 11 jersey!

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Posted in another thread.
Not sure if he was following them in the first place, but I wouldn't know.

If he was informed or wasn't he can speak to the manager.

Next the club has invested hugely in him, which other clubs didn't.

Fourth they are preliminary numbers, Martial is classified as a winger so he is #11, Ibra is a Striker so he is a #9.

MartialsBeard

If and thats a massive IF he leaves where will he go? Madrid? Take the no.9 off benzema? Barca? Take it off Saurez? PSG?.....dunno who their no.9 is. If he seriously hands in a transfer request then I have to question his mentality and his commitment to the club. This is a guy who said "its his dream to come to manchester united" he maid claim to it being the pinnacle of where he wanted to be as if he is a fan.

If he asks to leave then so be it. Cya later mate. He is a huge huge talent and the no.11 is a much much more coveted shirt than the no.9. Were clearly going places and have an insane squad and seem to have morale at an all time high. If he wants to piss on those cornflakes bacause of commercial reasons then feck off to Madrid. Were probably paying him more than they would and the fee woulf have to break the world record considering he cost us 80m+.

OldTrevil

Not good if they didn't at least tell him, especially since he was clearly our best onfield player last season.

TsuWave

older fans are more likely to dismiss stuff like this, but to be honest, if true, its pretty poor form from the club. should be building a team around the lad, not making him feel like he can't even get a heads up in situations like this.

imo, despite the buys, martial is our best player and he's only 20 years old. kid is a diamond and stuff like this just makes it easier, even if only slightly, for potential suitors to turn his head.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If he got that stressy over it (which he clearly won't be as he will have been told) then surely we would change the provisional numbers if he really cared that much? Then again he is a grown man, professional and it's a fecking number on a shirt. Everyone in this thread is aware of that yet still talking about him leaving? Give it a rest.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Quite stupid from the club. Basic courtesy would've been to tell him they were changing his numbers. Probably would've found out he'd trademarked AM9, paving the way to giving Ibra the number 7 instead.

I know Ibra is a striker but he doesn't need to have 9. Jose himself gave Boulahrouz number 9 way back in the day so it's not as if you need to be a striker to be a 9.

*Edit* Then again, it IS the provisional number so things might not be set in stone.

dichinero

If and thats a massive IF he leaves where will he go? Madrid? Take the no.9 off benzema? Barca? Take it off Saurez? PSG?.....dunno who their no.9 is. If he seriously hands in a transfer request then I have to question his mentality and his commitment to the club. This is a guy who said "its his dream to come to manchester united" he maid claim to it being the pinnacle of where he wanted to be as if he is a fan.

If he asks to leave then so be it. Cya later mate. He is a huge huge talent and the no.11 is a much much more coveted shirt than the no.9. Were clearly going places and have an insane squad and seem to have morale at an all time high. If he wants to piss on those cornflakes bacause of commercial reasons then feck off to Madrid. Were probably paying him more than they would and the fee woulf have to break the world record considering he cost us 80m+.
You sound more vexed than Martial is, chill. If there is any repercussions from this, it's all on the club. It's common decency to speak to a player and agree on the number change, whether it's a #9 or #465 is irrelevant here. Would the club dare do that to Rooney? I think not. To take a number off a player without prior agreement is just disrespectful and can be demeaning. So if it is true the player is within his right to be vexed.

Besides, was #9 part of the contractual agreement between Zlatan and the club. If not the club is doing for their own marketing reasons, so why can't Martial be upset if it messes up his own personal marketing strategy.