Martial Number Change Fallout

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Isn't this that same report that was used to scientifically prove he was worth a third of his price last year?

Anyway, was just reading from that Boufhasi dude that he wasn't consulted about he number change and wasn't best pleased. Probably minor, but hard to imagine he wouldn't have been asked. He's only our best player, not some peripheral youngster.

RedStarUnited

Isn't this that same report that was used to scientifically prove he was worth a third of his price last year?

Anyway, was just reading from that Boufhasi dude that he wasn't consulted about he number change and wasn't best pleased. Probably minor, but hard to imagine he wouldn't have been asked. He's only our best player, not some peripheral youngster.
Just read that too, its really not great management from Jose and whoever else decides. Martial has a brand and everything based on the number - AM9.

Offcourse Ibra is a short term option and will leave in 2 years max but still, thats something that could have been communicated.

ottosec

fecking stupid to unsettle our best outfield player last season for a player that will be here 1 or max 2 years and didn't really care about numbers throughout his career.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I read that Martial is the one who wanted the number 11. Zlatan never took a number from anyone before, I don't think it is case here.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:houllier: hope that's not true and we are not trying to please Ibra ahead of Martial.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
AM9 was registered as trademark just over a week ago: https://tmdb.eu/trademark/014921886/eu

Would be a bit strange registering it if you knew you were changing numbers shortly.
Would be stupid for us mere mortals who don't have to throw money out of windows. "Anthony Martial" is even trademarked :lol:, how stupid is it to trademark a name.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I read that Martial is the one who wanted the number 11. Zlatan never took a number from anyone before, I don't think it is case here.
I agree. I remember when we were linked to him Mata and Martial spoke briefly about him - I think Martial will just love playing with Zlatan etc. It's much a do about nothing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Basic decency dictates that you tell him. Stupid from the club.

nevillestache

His FB page has two posts from the last 8 hours clearly using the no. 9 as branding. Not saying there's anything in it but a bit of a message maybe? I wouldn't have expected the player himself to be overly bothered but if you're building his brand and they change his number, his people may be annoyed.

Cover:

Profile:

RedStarUnited

Maybe they did, it is just a number after all.
The guy reporting it is the guy who broke the transfer and seemingly very relible.

I agree. I remember when we were linked to him Mata and Martial spoke briefly about him - I think Martial will just love playing with Zlatan etc. It's much a do about nothing.
He might not care, but you can bet his advisors wont be too happy about it. They might have had a whole marketing plan based on the 'AM9' stuff.

Small problem now but when it comes to contract renewal/other clubs sniffing around, they will bring this up.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Jesus Christ it's just a number. Anyway, 11 suits Martial more than 9. He's not a 9 yet and he's inheriting Giggs' number, that's more important than 9.

If a player gets mad over a number then he shouldn't be here. It's the honest truth.

I'm sure Martial won't be acting like we've 'betrayed' him.

nevillestache

Numbers are more than just numbers these days, they're part of the brand / image.

It's not a big deal on the pitch but it clearly is in the world of marketing.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
It is just a number, and 11 is great...for us.

If you are in charge of Martials marketing its not just a number and 11 isnt great.
Oh yeah the marketing isn't great but thankfully Marial isn't part of that problem and I couldn't really care too much about the marketing.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What point :houllier:
The point that changing numbers without having the courtesy to let the player know in advance could make things trickier come contract renegotiations. Agents etc could bring it up and say that other teams would do their best to make their players happy and all that guff.

RedStarUnited

Oh yeah the marketing isn't great but thankfully Marial isn't part of that problem and I couldn't really care too much about the marketing.
You do know Martial will have his own advisors and people who look after his marketing and image right?

C'est Moi Cantona

What a load of old crap, of course he was told, and I'm sure he gave a shrug of the shoulders, and said no problem.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
You do know Martial will have his own advisors and people who look after his marketing and image right?
Maybe he should focus on his football? If he keeps working hard - United and he will have a great long term relationship. We're seeing this nonsense a lot - young lads acting all that - but not doing it on the pitch. Martial is thankfully an exception and he has to continue that. Making easy money should not be on his mind - especially at this time. United pushed him to be on the fifa cover - United clearly support him and people make too much of numbers.

Eddy_JukeZ

Apparently from the Man Utd subreddit, he's unfollowed the club on Twitter and Instagram.

Don't see United in his followers on Twitter.

But I'm not really sure if he ever followed the club.

Probably doesn't mean anything.

m1y2

it's provisional hopefully but for a winger it's nicer 11 and Adnan didn't really set world on fire with that 11. Understand that it's better marketable Zlatan #9 than Zlatan #42 but if Tony liked the number and was building a brand around it it's a bit shame from us

RedStarUnited

Maybe he should focus on his football? If he keeps working hard - United and he will have a great long term relationship.
Why does your tone sound aggressive. Has he not been working hard?

And its this kund of thinking that lead to us now offering 100m to Juventus to resign Pogba.

Adisa

Apparently from the Man Utd subreddit, he's unfollowed the club on Twitter and Instagram.

Don't see United in his followers on Twitter.

But I'm not really sure if he ever followed the club.

Probably doesn't mean anything.
He did. In Twitter and on Instagram. But from what I've seen, he doesn't handle both.

VanGaalEra

Ffs, I'm sure he'll have it back in a year or two, but if he is trying to build a brand then he'll need a settled number.

ottosec

He also changed his twitter picture to a AM9 picture. He's obviously annoyed by losing his number.

It's not only about a number, it's about feeling unimportant when the club not only takes your favorite number away, but doesn't even bother to tell you. And this is our best performing outfield player last season and our the best shirt seller, only Messi and Ronaldo sold more.

Very bad management from United.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I have feared since Mourinho was confirmed that Martial 's playing style and dribbling might be too risky for Mourinho. I will hate it if he benches Martial.
Hope this shirt number stuff and not telling him about it isn't a sign of his importance to Mourinho.

Adisa

He also changed his twitter picture to a AM9 picture. He's obviously annoyed by losing his number.

It's not only about a number, it's about feeling unimportant when the club not only takes your favorite number away, but doesn't even bother to tell you. And this is our best performing outfield player last season and our the best shirt seller, only Messi and Ronaldo sold more.

Very bad management from United.
This. I don't understand how people can see the problem here.
However, he might not be personally bothered but his agency will certainly be annoyed.

Adisa

I have feared since Mourinho was confirmed that Martial 's playing style and dribbling might be too risky for Mourinho. I will hate it if he benches Martial.
Hope this shirt number stuff and not telling him about it isn't a sign of his importance to Mourinho.
Didn't seem to mind Hazard.