Martial Number Change Fallout

RC89

I suspect it's all sensationalism, but it's a foolish player who would base his 'brand' on something as ephemeral as a squad number. It won't be hard to change it, it won't damage his 'brand' in any significant way.
Really? Beck's and both Ronaldo's would suggest otherwise.

parisite

Really, that happened?
Links?
Are you sure Zlatan asked for number?
From TF1 at the time.
La star du club parisien n'avait pas caché son désir de changer de numéro. "J'espère que le club saura me faire plaisir ", avait-il déclaré en juillet. Pour autant, l'été dernier, lors de son arrivée au Paris SG, le géant suédois venu du Milan ne s'était contre toutes attentes pas emparé de son numéro fétiche, le 9, porté par Guillaume Hoarau.

People who'd bought a Zlatan 18 shirt before January (including kids who'd been given it for XMas) were suddenly left with a shirt with the wrong number in January, it caused a bit of a drama in the ranks of the Zlatan faithful at PSG.

Gbenger

I think Martial has received some unfair criticism on this thread. As far i know, he's not angry because his number was changed but because it was done without his knowledge and that was what got pointed out by the reliable journalist who reported the news and that's fair enough. People are just pontificating unnecessary and using non issues to spite him.

What happened was simply as a result of terrible management by the club, and that's where the major criticism should go.

Ban

La star du club parisien n'avait pas caché son désir de changer de numéro. "J'espère que le club saura me faire plaisir ", avait-il déclaré en juillet. Pour autant, l'été dernier, lors de son arrivée au Paris SG, le géant suédois venu du Milan ne s'était contre toutes attentes pas emparé de son numéro fétiche, le 9, porté par Guillaume Hoarau.
Thanks for that. I'm fluent in French so I read that no problem.

Not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Not.
And it clearly tells you that he didn't took anyone number because they were both taken.

parisite

Not.
the Parisian star hadn't hidden his desire to change his number. "I hope that the club will know how to please me" he said when he arrived at the club in July. etc etc.

I just hope that the club crack down on his whims and caprices, he's already gotten extra holidays, he's been out of competition for about a month now and he's not back with the club, those that were with their national squads until the end of the Euro are back today apparently, less than 2 weeks later.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I quite literally didn't fight the Nazis just so young ingrates like Martial could throw a wobbly over shirt numbers. He wants locking up - they should get some soldiers in Iraq to ring up his mum and complain.
You fought in the 2nd World War?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The issue here is the lack of communication. Had we told Martial he was getting the 11 while Zlatan was here, but if he wanted 9 back when Zlatan's gone, then I don't see an issue. If he's found out he's lost the number when United announced the squad numbers, then that's shit.

Due to the lack of transfer activity that there seems to be at the minute (Pogba deal seems to have hit a bit of a lull), I think this is just a mountain out of a molehill. Can't wait for the season to start and this sort of bollocks to stop.

Ban

the Parisian star hadn't hidden his desire to change his number. "I hope that the club will know how to please me" he said when he arrived at the club in July. etc etc.

I just hope that the club crack down on his whims and caprices, he's already gotten extra holidays, he's been out of competition for about a month now and he's not back with the club, those that were with their national squads until the end of the Euro are back today apparently, less than 2 weeks later.
Thats all. Thats a proof?
Anyway I asked for a link of PSG speaking bad of Blanc cause he let Ibra do what he want.

United22

As to how a club this big can handle a situation like this so poorly baffles the feck out of me

RedCurry

Can Martial and Zlatan not just swap numbers? This sounds such a trivial issue.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Martial agitated because of this, then fair enough. But it is possible that he can take this as a challenge and become better. Personally to me it's not a big deal, it's not like he is a legend here yet.

Granted, he was one of the best outfield player last season but no player is bigger than the club. So, no need for posters here to insult either Martial or Zlatan. Overreaction at its best.

RedStarUnited

Seeing that assumes Martial is an immature, spiteful moron. I'm sure he's not. If we have a player with as delicate a mind as you suggest I wouldn't want him in the team.

All the posts about his marketing team being annoyed, and his brand being hurt! It's really ridiculous that any fan would give it a seconds notice. Nobody gives a shit. I remember cantona was 7 and giggs was 11, and Ronaldo has pushed his brand 7 thing up out arses for years, but anyone else? I don't even know what number Messi is. I don't care.
So fans shouldn't give a shit that the management team of the best outfield player from last year could potentially be pissed off?

Abdou0230

If our players started to feel that Zlatan is getting a special treatment from the Manager and the club, things will get very messy very quickly. It began with him not even going to China while all the others who participated in the Euros are there.

Ban

If our players started to feel that Zlatan is getting a special treatment from the Manager and the club, things will get very messy very quickly. It began with him not even going to China while all the others who participated in the Euros are there.
Not all from Euros are there...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He was actually in the home guard so didn't do any real "fighting" but you still have to respect what he did for all of us.
Ban said:
Yes. And he's decorated as well. So we should all pay our attention to what he writes.
:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
So fans shouldn't give a shit that the management team of the best outfield player from last year could potentially be pissed off?
The fans shouldn't draw conclusions when they don't have all the information.

JPRouve

Scout
Most people have said - 'If true, then we have messed up needlessly'. The 'if' in that sentence keeps getting ignored.
You are right, it's a point for the easily agitated not all the posters.

Abdou0230

Fellaini?
I read somewhere that Fellaini & Bastian are injured or not fit enough if I'm not mistaken.
Also, Jose talked about Zlatan's absence and compared him to a tailored suit or something.

RC89

Beckham7 or Beckham23
Ronaldo7 or Ronaldo9
Does it matter? Ronaldo 7 is Cristiano, Ronaldo 9 was the original. Either way, all players based a lot of their marketing on these numbers so it's not a foolish idea.

Dinghy

What the feck is this? If he is actually upset by getting to play in the United-11 shirt then he can bugger off. Numbers are not constant unless he has it in his contract and he is not seen as our main striker but as a winger so the change make perfect sense.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Storm in a teacup.
Fecking hell. People need to get away from their computers and go out more.

Bruno8

If jersey numbers are such a trivial issue as some are claiming, why didnt Zlatan take any of the other numbers that were free (2,3,6,13, etc) instead of No 9?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
fecking hell, the amount of people in here turning on Martial and/or Zlatan, based purely on reports and speculation is ridiculous.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
How much can we get for him? PSG need a striker don't they

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
11 is a cool sleek-looking number that is both legendary for the club and technically correct for a winger. If Martial's people can't market him with that number, then he needs to get a new marketing team. M11 has a nice ring to it anyway. Having Zlatan wear 9 was likely to have projected the most shirt sales as well, and we're going to milk that cash cow for the limited time he's here.

Eplel

The club showed disrespect towards one of our best players. Do not underestimate how this can affect a young player's happiness.

Walters_19_MuFc

If that's true, then that's very poor by the club.

Even more a piss take that Ibra said he chose number 9, like the club gave him a choice.

It's not even that much a big issue, it's just the principle of it, and just manners to tell Martial, if they didn't, that they were giving him a new shirt number.

Anyway....I like 11 for him. It's a wingers number, and more often than not, that is where I see him playing next season.