Martial + Rooney injured, Zlatan suspended - RASHFORD STARTS

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
We beat Tottenham. And We play on Posession with a highline and having more of the ball and pressing high to control the counter attacks while carrick runs the game from behind. Unless chelsea press carrick like liverpool did which they cant We will have decent spell of possession and our high press in midfield and highline is capable of winning the ball back quickly and stop the creativity of the opposition via closing the space. For an open game Chelsea have to come out of their shell and press us instead creating spaces for us to exploit otherwise they will sit deep all game without any goal scoring chances . An Open game suits us more than chelsea because chelsea never play an open game. in midfield so if we have to win we have to take the game to them with more posession and faster counter atacks down the wings
You are very optimistic, with players like Hazard, Matic, Kante as Ball winner, Luiz, Pedro they have players who are superior in possession compared to hours. To suggest the league leaders wont get any opportunity vs our semi-B team seems a bit delusional after they disgraced a few months ago. I think we will play poorly.

CS@SG

LVG did it out of choice. He also played Fellaini and Di Maria.
Basically playing players out of position was part of LVG's philosophy.
If Jose does it, it will be out of necessity, because we don't actually have any strikers.

You know, this wouldn't be a bad idea. He is very strong in the air and could be the way to go if our entire game plan is a 1-0 win.
A headed goal from a set-piece?
But Jose wouldn't be so audacious...would he?
Oh come on, necessity? Is there necessity to play Zlatan & Pogba every game full 90 min? Jose chose to do that. Whatever line up Jose put up today, it is his choice, not necessity. If he wants fluid front 3 false 9, Mhiki or Lingard who have pkayed week in week out both have better form and, I dare to say, understand with Pogba. They are better candidates than Young.

shield

Need TO play him tonight and AV on the Wing.
Remember that one. We lost the match but I was really really excited after watching that performance. Was given so much freedom too. He really enjoyed himself there. That was the best thing about LVG.

Bit sad that we will never ever experience that feeling with Mourinho. Too pragmatic and result oriented to allow a youth player to roam around with that much freedom.

So, about this injury situation, was really hoping to see the 'Martial - Rashford' combination back in action. Felt that they had achieved a good understanding with each other last year. Real bummer. Hope they regain fitness for the remaining two matches in which Zlatan is not allowed to play.

CS@SG

Chelsea is poor in dealing with high ball. Fellaini will start, likely. Expect to see crosses after crosses from right wing by AV.

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
And ye shall be called upon when no man is there, ye shall lead the line once more.

Fellaini.....

your time has come.

Klopp_De_Klown

Fellaini will be up top

But as long as he doesn't try to think he is Maradonna and keeps it simple with smart fast lay offs into space or flick ons to a trio of mata mkhi and Jess we might have enough ask a question or 2

Think it might be the best we can hope for. Or 442 and hope to expose the back 3 but i see kante and matic as the peoblem with that. Tough tie just got tougher

Ixion

A lot of people seem very confident in Fellaini versus Cahill, Luiz and Azpilicueta.

Alex Styles

This is gonna be one of those where we go into the game seemingly with no chance of winning but in the end manage to pull out the result. Bit like when we all thought we'd beat Livershite at old trafford but they managed a result.

MadMike

So many seem to be taking a masochistic delight in playing Fellaini as a striker, but agaisnt a back 3 you need pace and mobility to open up space, he has none of the attributes needed and any knock downs he wins will be bread and butter for the 2 CB's not jumping with him. A mobile front 3 of Mhki, Mata and Lingard makes much more sense.
Jose does love his target men but playing Fellaini up front will be nothing short of masochistic, as you say.

Jose's target men are/were all round exceptional strikers with huge goal potential (drogba, milito, costa, benzema, zlatan) he doesn't play donkeys up front just cause they are big. So I don't think that he will play Fellaini as a striker.

I can see us going for a 4-5-1 with a fast player up front and maybe another one joining from midfield. Pack the field and hope to hit them on the counter.

Devil may care

Jose does love his target men but playing Fellaini up front will be nothing short of masochistic, as you say.

Jose's target men are/were all round exceptional strikers with huge goal potential (drogba, milito, costa, benzema, zlatan) he doesn't play donkeys up front just cause they are big. So I don't think that he will play Fellaini as a striker.

I can see us going for a 4-5-1 with a fast player up front and maybe another one joining from midfield. Pack the field and hope to hit them on the counter.
Exactly, Jose doesn't play huge lumps up front, his big men strikers are always mobile and technically strong, Fellaini is the complete opposite of that.

I could see a 4-5-1 happening but it might be awkward as Chelsea are a counter attacking team as well, it could see the teams cancel each other out. I wouldn't be shocked to see him try 3 at the back again and try to push their wingback's back.

MadMike

Exactly, Jose doesn't play huge lumps up front, his big men strikers are always mobile and technically strong, Fellaini is the complete opposite of that.

I could see a 4-5-1 happening but it might be awkward as Chelsea are a counter attacking team as well, it could see the teams cancel each other out. I wouldn't be shocked to see him try 3 at the back again and try to push their wingback's back.
If the rumours about Rashford having travelled and being available are true I expect us to play like so.

----------------DDG---------------
---Tony---Small---Rojo---Shaw--
--------------Herrera--------------
--Mkhi--Fellaini--Pogba--Young--
-------------Rashford-------------

Mkhi and Young will be tucked in and cover the fullbacks. Mkhi and Poggers will join Rashford in attack where possible with Fellaini and Herrera keeping their shape.

I think both Mata and Carrick are the kind of players that need time on the ball and tend to surrender possession when pressured so he might keep them on the bench for this one.

Mkhi might move up top if Rashford is not fit and Blind might come on on the left wing with Young switching to the right.

That's my prediction at least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've got a feeling it might be Young up front. Quick and hard working he led the line for Villa a few times and under a LVG too.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What are these Rashford rumours and where have they come from? I've not seen anything.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to do, if he really has travelled separate from the squad.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
What are these Rashford rumours and where have they come from? I've not seen anything.

Seems a bit of an odd thing to do, if he really has travelled separate from the squad.
Basically a few random people on Twitter saying he joined the rest of the United squad at the next train station. No idea if true or not - hopefully the former but could easily be the latter.

Red_toad

If he's infectious why would he travel with the squad? And if he recovers he's at hand. Not exactly rocket science.

Smores

Fellaini wouldn't by anyones preference up front but other teams have had luck in exploiting Chelsea being a bit susceptible in the air.

They're defence isn't as great of late so i think we'll grab a goal. My main concern is whether they'll put a few past us.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've got no problem with Fellani playing as long as we have the likes of Mkhi and Mata playing off him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Maybe time to promote another young striker then? It was in the same scenario that we saw the wonders of the Rash

M4YON

Club hasn't said a damn thing about injury or illnesses so how has this leaked? Nobody else think its absolutely ridiculous information like this is allowed to get out a full 24 hours before kick off.

RedCurry

This might just be mind games. But if it's true I am not sure, if Mourinho minds it as much as some of us fans. He thrives in underdog situations. Park the bus and not get blamed by your fans? I think Mourinho is down.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If he's infectious why would he travel with the squad? And if he recovers he's at hand. Not exactly rocket science.
Well it seems to be suggested that it is "mind games" rather than a genuine injury/illness, which is what I am suggesting is odd.

If he is genuinely ill, seems daft to risk it. Depending on the illness, gastric upset for example, feeling better doesn't exactly mean he is no longer infectious. Same goes for colds and fevers.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Hoping you guys beat Chelsea. A NLD and Manc derby would be tasty with Wenger and Mourinho meeting in the final.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In true fashion for this season, I'm expecting us to win now that we have no first team strikers available while Chelsea has their main team available.

It's been that kind of season for us, unexpected results happening every now and than.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
De Gea
Bailly - Smalling - Rojo
Valencia - Carrick - Shaw
Pogba - Herrera
Mkhitaryan - Mata

Bench: Romero, Blind, Jones, Mensah, Fellaini, Lingard, Young.

Just pack the defense and hope for a lucky goal on the break.
(want Mata over Lingard/Young from the start so their pace can be more of use later, need Miki from the first second to the last)

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
All the United fans in my office can't wait to see Fellers up top for us tonight:lol:

Have to admit, I'm looking forward to seeing what we do. It'll be fun:D

M4YON

All the United fans in my office can't wait to see Fellers up top for us tonight:lol:

Have to admit, I'm looking forward to seeing what we do. It'll be fun:D
Great attitude to have because it was a very difficult game for us with a full squad but now with so many out injured we may as well enjoy it now either way.

Jose troll time :D

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Great attitude to have because it was a very difficult game for us with a full squad but now with so many out injured we may as well enjoy it now either way.

Jose troll time :D
Definitely:lol:

salford_

I think Chelsea will happily go out tonight if it cements the title. I mean anyone with half a brain chooses the title over the Fa Cup. So i think it would mean more to Utd to go through than Chelsea... Theyre going to end up with the big prize afterall

Sylar

I think Chelsea will happily go out tonight if it cements the title. I mean anyone with half a brain chooses the title over the Fa Cup. So i think it would mean more to Utd to go through than Chelsea... Theyre going to end up with the big prize afterall
Same way United would go out tonight if it cements Europa League. :D

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They have no Europe and a commanding lead in the league. Anyone with half a brain would be eyeing up the double not "happily go out".

PoTMS

The feck?! They're 10 points clear playing once a week until season end. I'm sure their players won't mind playing those extra two games (at Wembley, at that!) to win the double.